Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

On the topic of DVD and Blu-ray, the Target Blu-ray exclusive includes a Blu-ray 3D copy of the film and a bonus DVD containing 2 featurettes! Glad to see there's still life of doing store exclusive bonus discs at Disney rather than doing them digitally.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:On the topic of DVD and Blu-ray, the Target Blu-ray exclusive includes a Blu-ray 3D copy of the film and a bonus DVD containing 2 featurettes! Glad to see there's still life of doing store exclusive bonus discs at Disney rather than doing them digitally.
And if I'm correct, the two extra bonus features are not available digitally either, which although is a shame, I much rather have extra features on disc rather than vice-versa. Still peeved that the live-action Cinderella didn't have all the deleted scenes on disc.

I do wonder how long it will be until the next Rogue One blu-ray edition will come out (with deleted scenes no less). That made me think of not buying this release today but I couldn't help myself.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Capone digs into the creation of ROGUE ONE's K-2SO with animation supervisor Hal Hinkel and actor Alan Tudyk!!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77568

This ‘Rogue One’ Shot Was Created, Animated, Rendered & Released in Under a Week
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-virt ... ra-system/
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I'm a bit irked that there's no deleted scenes on this release. Hopefully in the future.

I understand that much of what they filmed would no longer fit into the movie as it's structured now.

But that's kind of the point of deleted scenes, isn't it? To show how a film evolved/progressed over time?

To not include *anything* at all that was cut because it's just "bits and pieces" according to the director ... seems like an excuse for being lazy or cheap with this release.

I personally felt that the teaser trailer released April of last year (by coincidence a year ago today... 4/7/16) represented a totally different film, one I think would have been more epic and moving. I was hyped up for a film about a badass revolutionary in Jyn, but she ultimately was a subdued character. Rey in TFA was a much stronger female protagonist, in my opinion. Jyn was too quiet, and underdeveloped. I wish scenes such as running across the beach had been left in the third act. On the whole, I felt that this film could have been a very stirring film about rebellion, speaking to current political movements and energies worldwide, and ended up being less impactful or relevant than expected.

Everything Cut From Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-cut-f ... 1794051677
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Star Wars Bits: ‘Rogue One’ Cameos, Undiscovered Easter Eggs, and Plenty More
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bits ... enty-more/

‘Rogue One’ Interview: Alan Tudyk & ILM’s Hal Hickel Talk the Creation & Performance of K-2SO
http://www.slashfilm.com/hal-hickel-ala ... interview/

There Are Even More Visual Effects in ‘Rogue One’ Than You Realized
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-virt ... breakdown/

Star Wars Explained dove into the novelization of Rogue One and in the video below, they highlight the final thoughts of every major character before their deaths in the film.
Alan Tudyk thought the director wanted to pick his brain about playing a robot in 2004’s I, Robot.
Rogue One comic adaptation, which apparently adds to the story by showing us moments that weren’t in the film’s final cut
Turns out one of Rogue One’s coolest moments was barely scripted at all.
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bits ... nd-more/2/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever, I'm commenting here cause I don't have it in me to bare all the attacks on bluray.com, I have to put up with constant negative comments about TLJ in TLJ threads and various Star Wars threads but go forbids I voice my negative comment on their favorite film.

Yes I saw it one time back then and I mostly felt the characters were uninteresting or at least I wasn't interested in them. I didn't feel any tension cause I knew they were going to get the plans and at some point I knew they were all going to die, which okay, a little too nihilistic to my taste but I thought at least they'll have some sort of sacrificial moment, but it's only because they couldn't get on a ship fast enough.
Vader being "cool", how Leia got the plans, or the explanation of the "plot hole" that is why the Death Star has a weak point aren't justifiable enough to have this film in my opinion.

I feel like I've been avoiding talking about Star Wars online for a long time and now that TRoS came out I thought to try and I think I had enough for a lifetime. It is bewildering how in a Disney community we can share what we like and what we don't like and accept that, and even in general when talking about cinema mostly, but when it comes to Star Wars personal taste suddenly becomes an insult to others and you can't really have a conversation like you're an adult, it always comes to insulting one another. Personally I've had enough of that and I might not even bother with the next films. Star Wars is not that precious to me to worth this kind of discourse.
Anyway, thanks for being kind. I really like talking with you even if we don't always agree on things.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I was about to post here and ask you about your opinion since I wasn't sure if you saw my post there or not. I didn't realize you got so much flack for your opinion on Rogue One but it doesn't surprise me because a lot of Disney haters concede that Rogue One was the best SW film they released so far. I knew that there were some TLJ haters on Blu-ray.com but I thought there were a lot of defenders there as well, but you post more regularly there so you would know better.

Interestingly enough, the original ending had Jyn and Cassian survive and the film would end with their wedding. I think K-2SO survived with them. As much as I like happy endings, I think the ending we got was far more appropriate for the tone of the film and it was unlikely these characters would survive. Rogue One was actually the film that got me back into the Star Wars fandom and made me really love the franchise again. I liked TFA but the characters were still too new and undeveloped for me to really latch onto so it was Rogue One and then The Last Jedi that really reignited my passion. I think Jyn is a nice precursor to Luke, Leia, and Rey and she's one of the most tragic characters in the saga, moreso than maybe even Anakin or Ben. I love Diego Luna and I'm so glad we will see Cassian and K2 in the new Disney+ show. Even Felicity Jones has said she would love to return as Jyn even if it means a reincarnation of her character or something. People say the rest of the characters are undeveloped but I think they work for the screentime they have and are all pretty endearing.

I wouldn't say that the characters died because they couldn't get on a ship fast enough. Bodhi is killed in an explosion right after he links the Rebels on Scarif to the ones above in space which is necessary to transmit the Death Star plans. Chirrut and Baze both die for the same reason essentially. K2 sacrifices himself to keep Cassian and Jyn safe and while yes, Cassian and Jyn ultimately aren't able to board a ship, I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. They seem resigned to their fates by the end and I've always wondered in the SW films how often some of these characters manage to escape before a Death Star is destroyed (like Luke with Vader's body in ROTJ or Kylo and Hux in TFA) so it was a nice change for once that the main characters weren't able to escape in time.

The Vader scene may not be for everyone. As someone who was introduced to him through the prequels, I never really saw him as a fearsome villain the way people who only grew up with the OT did. Rogue One was the first time I truly saw him as some terrifying harbinger of death so I quite loved that scene and could finally understand why Darth Vader has always been considered one of cinema's greatest villains. I actually liked the overall premise of Rogue One and how they were able to craft an original story with new characters but still link it to main saga with beloved characters and I wish we had more spinoff films like that. I never had an issue with the Death Star having a weakness being a plothole but I do like how they explained that in the film especially in connection to the Erso family and how this was one man's last attempt at redemption to make right for what destroyed his family.

Lol, I don't blame you for being done with the SW fandom. I've left a lot of places because the fandom is so toxic and hateful and while there isn't much discourse here about SW, it's still a much nicer place than anywhere else. Star Wars is like a religion for people which is why you won't see the same level of vitriol with Disney films. The closest might be the live-action remakes which are also pretty controversial in their own way (whether it's fixing plotholes or more diverse casting). I don't think the MCU is like this but as a Harry Potter fan, I can say that the fandom hasn't been particularly very pleasant the last couple of years either. Huge franchises like this tend to be that way particularly when they've lasted for so long. Disney doesn't really have any big franchises that have existed for so long, save for Toy Story. The Disney Princess franchise could be an exception since the new princesses build on the legacy of the old ones and there can be a lot of hate even on that. I don't know if you've ever been to Fanpop, but the Disney Princess page there is full of much of the toxicity you'll find with Star Wars fans. There are classic fans who hate the Renaissance or Revival princesses, Renaissance fans who hate any princess from any other era, Revival fans who think their princesses are the most feminist, etc. Huge troll issues and I've seen Ariel fans get bullied and receive death threats, Rapunzel fans freak out if she isn't the modern-day favorite, Anna fans feel that their character gets no love thanks to either Rapunzel or Elsa, Jasmine and Esmeralda get slutshamed and attacked for their race, Mulan fans act all so superior to any other girl in the lineup, etc. I'm so glad the environment here isn't like that because it's plain awful there.

I enjoy discussing Star Wars with you since you're one of the few civil people to talk to so I hope you don't give it up completely, feelings about TROS notwithstanding. I know a lot of TLJ fans on Twitter are very disillusioned right now because of how TROS ended. I actually feel blessed that I don't have as many cores issues with the film, mainly because Rey Palpatine was always my dream choice for Rey if she can't be a nobody and I didn't have an issue with Rey taking on the Skywalker name at the end (although her essentially replacing Ben as the last Skywalker does NOT work for me). My main issues are really just how characters like Rose and Connix were sidelined and Ben Solo's death is the BIG one but deleted scenes or future projects can alleviate the former at least. With Ben Solo, I'm still convinced that we'll see him return one day although I do not understand that ending. Disney has reset the polls various times and Ben is still winning with 80-90% of the vote with Rey as #2 at around 4% or something. Marketing the "trio" instead of the Reylo dynamic was a huge mistake although apparently there were personal reasons behind that choice. The fact that Galaxy's Edge, Disney's most crucial investment and a theme park that will last for ages, has branded itself entirely on the ST, especially with Kylo and Rey astounds me since they chose to kill off that same character. Even Elsa, for all the character is worth, isn't the face of a major theme park.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

There are defenders but I feel they are few. seems like the animosity makes them to not get involved either. To me it seems like it's mostly a negative environment there. It might be wrong to say this but I do feel like most people there hate it cause it's cool to hate it, like it has become a trend or whatever.

I might need to give Rogue One another chance.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Fanpop sounds terrible. I was on a Facebook group where most people hated Walt's films, especially Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. The admin also hated Beauty and the Beast and she was really arrogant with no reason at all. The amount of times she complained about Belle being "problematic" because she says "little people" and that Belle was a snob, was uncountable. Moreover it seemed like people there cared about Disney very superficially, like most of their knowledge came from BuzzFeed articles. I eventually left cause I didn't feel like I was having any thoughtful conversations at all.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I now recall that the last straw for me was yet another hate post about Cinderella. I felt like sometimes people who think they are "woke" (you know the same kind modern Disney is) couldn't realize how misogynistic they can be (like internalized misogyny I guess) when they talk about Snow White, Cinderella or Aurora. At least Cinderella is a fictional character, but I'm sure they'll victim blame someone real who has been through abuse. And no one thinks it's hypocritical to hyper criticize the female characters, but the guys like Peter Pan or Aladdin or Hercules or the Pixar guys are just fine. Only girls need role models, boys will be fine.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:There are defenders but I feel they are few. seems like the animosity makes them to not get involved either. To me it seems like it's mostly a negative environment there. It might be wrong to say this but I do feel like most people there hate it cause it's cool to hate it, like it has become a trend or whatever.

I might need to give Rogue One another chance.
There are a consistent few I see who defend TLJ over and over and there are a consistent amount of haters as well who like to drag TLJ's name into everything. I don't think it's wrong of you at all to say that and that's definitely the case. There are prominent YouTubers who loved the film but changed their stance because they realized hate sells more. Hence all the stupid Star Wars fandom YouTube videos which I avoid like the plague because they're cashing in on the negativity.

We have similar tastes and since TLJ and Rogue One are two of my fav SW films, that makes me wonder if you'd like it better with a rewatch. But it does help in my case that I'm a big fan of Felicity Jones and Diego Luna anyway, not to mention I really liked the villain as well.
farerb wrote:Fanpop sounds terrible. I was on a Facebook group where most people hated Walt's films, especially Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. The admin also hated Beauty and the Beast and she was really arrogant with no reason at all. The amount of times she complained about Belle being "problematic" because she says "little people" and that Belle was a snob, was uncountable. Moreover it seemed like people there cared about Disney very superficially, like most of their knowledge came from BuzzFeed articles. I eventually left cause I didn't feel like I was having any thoughtful conversations at all.
There are some really great and insightful users on Fanpop but a lot of trolls that cancel that out. Especially trolls with fake accounts. Wow, that FB group sounds awful. Walt's films get a lot of hate on Tumblr as well compared to the 90s and 2010s films. Funny because that admin who hates Belle and BATB reminds me of a user from Fanpop...wonder if they're the same person.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:I now recall that the last straw for me was yet another hate post about Cinderella. I felt like sometimes people who think they are "woke" (you know the same kind modern Disney is) couldn't realize how misogynistic they can be (like internalized misogyny I guess) when they talk about Snow White, Cinderella or Aurora. At least Cinderella is a fictional character, but I'm sure they'll victim blame someone real who has been through abuse. And no one thinks it's hypocritical to hyper criticize the female characters, but the guys like Peter Pan or Aladdin or Hercules or the Pixar guys are just fine. Only girls need role models, boys will be fine.
Yeah, I had a lot of friends who hated on the classic princesses. I took a fairy tale class in college and the 1950 animated Cinderella was screened and I was glad to hear that a lot of people who had issues with Cinderella were surprisingly more accepting of her as a character after rewatching the film with a fresh pair of eyes and not relying on old childhood memories and the DP franchise of how the character is portrayed. A lot of people said she was a stronger heroine than she was given credit for. There's a lot of victim shaming when it comes to these characters.

Women and female characters are always held to more rigid standards than male ones.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah, since TRoS premiered I have put a dozen of people on my ignore list. I don't mind people who have a critique of TLJ and there are even some who I enjoy hearing their thoughts on the film even if I disagree. But there some who just act like a manchild, like that one who insulted me loving animated films... I don't even know how to comment about something like that seriously so I just put him on ignore and moved on (I wish I could do this all the time but sometimes I just get angry).

That admin was insufferable, I wasn't actually the only one who had issues with her. She actually managed to make me defend Robin Hood for crying out loud.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yeah that comment about how you don't care for films beyond animated ones was super uncalled for. Has you antagonized you before on TLJ? I've never had to use the ignore button in my life except with Star Wars "fans" which says something about the fandom.

Oh wow, and from what I remember, you're not at all a fan of Robin Hood.
ImageImage