DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:30 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 1542
I just stumbled upon some new/lesser-seen models from canceled Disney films including "My Peoples" and "American Dog":

http://www.cgsculpture.com/cgimages-Char.html

There's some great stuff here!

_________________
Visit Animation Activist to discover excellent foreign, older, cult, underrated, and obscure animated films you may never have heard of before! There is life beyond Disney!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:10 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 10437
Location: USA
That's an amazing find- thanks for sharing, Neal!!!

http://www.cgsculpture.com/dumbo.html
Was that for Dumbo 2, or for the CGI remakes Eisner mentioned? It doesn't look as great as I would expect...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 1542
I guess they only went up in late November which explains why no one saw them before!

_________________
Visit Animation Activist to discover excellent foreign, older, cult, underrated, and obscure animated films you may never have heard of before! There is life beyond Disney!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:38 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8105
Location: Appleton, WI
I'm surprised they did "Lloyd". That must've been considered for a remake.

I also wonder how AD would've turned out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:02 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 am
Posts: 1839
Cool, they kept the Sanders style even in cg. Too bad they didn't have models for main characters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:56 pm
Posts: 1070
blackcauldron85 wrote:

http://www.cgsculpture.com/dumbo.html
Was that for Dumbo 2, or for the CGI remakes Eisner mentioned? It doesn't look as great as I would expect...


Wait, what CGI remakes?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:14 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 2374
Location: The Land of Lincoln
i've also never heard of "My Peoples". Was it to be based on the mayans? I love the ancient south american cultures, i find them so interesting. I would love for DAS to make a serious film based in old south america. TENG is based in the time, but is too modern than what i'd like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:20 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 1542
You've never heard of it?

It was also called "A Few Good Ghosts"

Quote:
The idea for My Peoples grew out of Barry Cook's interest in American folk art. The co-director of Mulan, Cook imagined a tale of star-crossed lovers set in Appalachia in the late 1940s. Old Man McGee swears to keep his daughter Rose away from Elgin Harper because of an old feud and the superstition that 'bad things happen' when Harpers and McGees get together. The 'Peoples,' folk-art characters Elgin crafts from found objects, come to life to bring the young lovers together.


"A Few Good Ghosts," which mixed traditional and computer-generated animation, had already gone through a number of title changes -- including "My Peoples" and "Angel and Her No Good Sister" -- and was being directed by Barry Cook, one of the directors of 1998's "Mulan." Set to a bluegrass score, it revolved around a group of ghosts inhabiting folk-art dolls. Its voice cast included Hal Holbrook, Dolly Parton and Lily Tomlin.

The project fell victim to creative differences, with a Disney representative saying Friday the studio had decided it was not "universally appealing." According to Disney, the studio has not yet determined whether the production's shutdown will lead to layoffs at its Orlando facility, responsible for such features as "Lilo & Stitch" and "Brother Bear." Further decisions are expected by January.

Alternate Title:

Elgin's People
My Peoples
Once in a Blue Moon

This book is all about it.

_________________
Visit Animation Activist to discover excellent foreign, older, cult, underrated, and obscure animated films you may never have heard of before! There is life beyond Disney!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:26 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 2374
Location: The Land of Lincoln
Oh wow, it looks so cool!

I had heard of "A Few Good Ghosts", but not much beyond that title. The concept art from the links you've provided look so good! It also seems a thousand times more appealing to me than Joe Jump.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:32 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 1542
While I do look forward to Joe Jump, "My Peoples" is the project I'd most like to see get revived. The trinket characters are really unique and interesting! I hope it gets revived, it seems like Disney's digging to revive projects right now more than start new ones (Rapunzel, Joe Jump, Snow Queen)

Fraidy Cat would also be cool!

_________________
Visit Animation Activist to discover excellent foreign, older, cult, underrated, and obscure animated films you may never have heard of before! There is life beyond Disney!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:35 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:12 pm
Posts: 1932
Location: A small suburban/rural town in PA
I must say, "My Peoples" sounds a heck of a lot better and more interesting than "Joe Jump." If they must ressurect one of them, I certainly hope it's the former....

_________________
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:45 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm
Posts: 3673
Location: Boston, MA
Yeah, "Joe Jump" just sounds... pretty lame to me. Just as an idea.

_________________
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 am
Posts: 1839
Neal wrote:
You've never heard of it?

It was also called "A Few Good Ghosts"

Quote:
The idea for My Peoples grew out of Barry Cook's interest in American folk art. The co-director of Mulan, Cook imagined a tale of star-crossed lovers set in Appalachia in the late 1940s. Old Man McGee swears to keep his daughter Rose away from Elgin Harper because of an old feud and the superstition that 'bad things happen' when Harpers and McGees get together. The 'Peoples,' folk-art characters Elgin crafts from found objects, come to life to bring the young lovers together.


"A Few Good Ghosts," which mixed traditional and computer-generated animation, had already gone through a number of title changes -- including "My Peoples" and "Angel and Her No Good Sister" -- and was being directed by Barry Cook, one of the directors of 1998's "Mulan." Set to a bluegrass score, it revolved around a group of ghosts inhabiting folk-art dolls. Its voice cast included Hal Holbrook, Dolly Parton and Lily Tomlin.

The project fell victim to creative differences, with a Disney representative saying Friday the studio had decided it was not "universally appealing." According to Disney, the studio has not yet determined whether the production's shutdown will lead to layoffs at its Orlando facility, responsible for such features as "Lilo & Stitch" and "Brother Bear." Further decisions are expected by January.

Alternate Title:

Elgin's People
My Peoples
Once in a Blue Moon

This book is all about it.

In addition to that book, you can see some character designs here:

http://inspectorcleuzo.blogspot.com/200 ... oples.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mJ4lc_Q9Q6k/S ... eather.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:19 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 10437
Location: USA
Here's a 3D animation reel with some footage of animation for My Peoples:

http://www.projectfirefly.com/3Danimationreel.html

***

rs_milo_whatever wrote:
Wait, what CGI remakes?


Back a few years ago, Michael Eisner thought that maybe Disney would remake some DACs in CGI:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:06 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8105
Location: Appleton, WI
Wow, My Peoples sounds like it could've been really good. I'd definitely like to see that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:22 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:12 pm
Posts: 1932
Location: A small suburban/rural town in PA
Who knows? Maybe they'll ressurect it! (Preferably with one of the more interesting alternate titles, like "Once in a Blue Moon." That sounds like a good name for a movie.

_________________
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 10437
Location: USA
I just came across these thumbnail sheets for My Peoples!!!! Take a look!

http://lemiin.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-p ... ils-1.html

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 8015
blackcauldron85 wrote:
I just came across these thumbnail sheets for My Peoples!


Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group