Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 7 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

ichabod wrote: I suppose it's plausible a Donald 4 could be accompanied by the Destino volume however.
Is "Destino" supposed to be a Treasure? Wasn't that supposed to have already come out on DVD? I've waited YEARS for that to come on DVD, and it still hasn't been released. :(
DL-Craze

Post by DL-Craze »

Anybody know any Donald Duck cartoons that would go in the "From The Vault" section in a possible volume 4?
My one and only love, DISNEY.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Is "Destino" supposed to be a Treasure? Wasn't that supposed to have already come out on DVD? I've waited YEARS for that to come on DVD, and it still hasn't been released. :(
You remember the Walt Disney Legacy Collection? Originally after the True Life Adventures, there were to be 3 other voumes.

Now when people complained that there would be no more Treasures, all Disney really did was take the material from the Oswald and Disneyland Legacy releases and give it the Treasures name instead. So it's plausible they may divert the Destino release too.
DL-Craze wrote:Anybody know any Donald Duck cartoons that would go in the "From The Vault" section in a possible volume 4?
Well of the remaining material, shorts which have been edited in the past are:

Let's Stick Together (1952) (smoking)
Rugged Bear (1953) (Donald pointing rifle at Humphrey, Donald operating washing machine with humphrey inside)
Spare the Rod (1954) (Pigmy cannibals escaped from circus)
Flying squirrel (1954) (Donald using popcorn maker as anti-aircraft gun)
Chips Ahoy (1956)(smoking)
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

DL-Craze wrote:Anybody know any Donald Duck cartoons that would go in the "From The Vault" section in a possible volume 4?
In addition to those cartoons listed by Ichabod, here are a few other possibilities:

In The Bag (1956) - Humphrey is shown burning the trash. Smokey the Bear says "Only you can stop forest fires". This scene was edited out on the Disney Channel for a period of time, but was later shown unedited.

Lone Chipmunks (1954) [IF Chip & Dale toons added to the set] Violence. Some gun scenes edited. Physical violence (chipmunk bending Pete's pinky way back).

No Hunting (1955) Gun scene (most gun scenes left in). Indian guide leads a hunter off a cliff.

As Ichabod listed, the SPARE THE ROD short is the most likely candidate for the From The Vault due to the black racial caricatures in the short. When it was shown on the Disney Channel, half the cartoon was edited - leaving out all scenes of the cannibals - leaving the cartoon making no sense at all.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

jebsdad wrote:In addition to those cartoons listed by Ichabod, here are a few other possibilities:

Lone Chipmunks (1954) [IF Chip & Dale toons added to the set]
Of course this is all asuming they give us a volume 4. Even if they do, they'll probably not have the brain or heart to put the Chip and Dales on there!
:wink:
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Aside from Lone Chipmunks and Two Chips And A Miss, I can't think of any other CnD shorts that may not be on the DD volumes...?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I don't remember exactly now, but what about Chicken in the Rough? Apart from that, most of C&D's appearances are really in DD shorts.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Yes, those are the only three Chip 'n' Dale cartoons.
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Ah yeah was forgetting CitR... it and TCaaM are on the "Starring Chip and Dale" DVD (which I own) but sadly not "Lone Chpimunks"...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

So, if a writing campaign for DD4 is required I suggest we all ask them to include the three C&D titles and Susie and Casey as extras. Then we would basically have all of the "classic theatrical animated shorts" covered.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

...except for the "educational" ones.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Billy Moon wrote:...except for the "educational" ones.
Lars said theatrical releases.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Yes, exactly what I said. I'd like to see more, educational and others - but I think a complete collection of the "theatrical" shorts is quite acceptable for now.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

I don't understand. Aren't the educational shorts like Donald in Mathmagic Land and Goofy's Freeway Troubles theatrical as well?
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Billy Moon wrote:I don't understand. Aren't the educational shorts like Donald in Mathmagic Land and Goofy's Freeway Troubles theatrical as well?
Yes mostly of them are! But some are made for TV!
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Billy Moon wrote:I don't understand. Aren't the educational shorts like Donald in Mathmagic Land and Goofy's Freeway Troubles theatrical as well?
No those are not educational cartoons. They are theatrical. Educational means they were released for the purposes of showing in educational institutions.

You are right however they do remain unreleased. I think you could put together a decent rarities two with Laugh O Grams, remaining Alice's, the few remaining shorts and maybe some of the more entertaining educational cartoons.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Mathmagic Land and the two Freeway shorts are frequently referred to as "educational", it seems. Possibly because they have in fact been used for educational purposes in the years after...? These titles are theatrical, all right, but they nevertheless fall somewhat outside the classic shorts format, since they're longer and were released years after the end of the classic or golden age of Disney's animated shorts. These probably belong in the set - at least I'd expect Mathmagic Land in the forth DD volume - if it's ever released.

I have yet to dig seriously into the field of Disney's educational shorts, but I think one could count quite a considerable number of them - depending on one's definition of the term. I'd like to see educational shorts released, but a complete set of theatrical shorts is still complete without them.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

It would seem logical to me to call a cartoon "educational" if it's purpose is to educate the viewers. Mathmagic Land and other Donald and Goofy cartoons from the 60's fit this description.

I'm not familiar with other kind of (non-theatrical) educational Disney cartoons, except for the Jiminy Cricket bits from The Mickey Mouse Club.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well it's a tricky area, Donald in Mathmagicland could be called 'educational'. But there are other films both theatrical and non theatrical, some made for companies for commercial purposes.

The list (which I have no idea whether is complete or not) of unreleased titles (a number were on the front lines set, other featuring mickey, donald etc are here and there on treasures too) such as:

Aircraft Carrier Landing Signals
Aircraft Carrier Mat Approaches and Landings
Aircraft Riveting
Approaches and Landings
Battle of Britain
Bending and Curving
Blanking and Punching
Forming Methods
Icing Conditions
Know Your Enemy, Germany
The Nazi's Strike [Campaign in Poland]
Prelude to War
Protection Against Chemical Warfare
US Army Identification Series - WEFT
US Army Identification Series - WEFT and Warships

Aeronca Project [Basic Maintenance of Primary Training Airplanes]
Air Masses and Fronts
Air Transport Command
Aircraft Carrier Landing Qualifications
Aircraft Welding
The Aleutian Islands [A.D.C. Project]
Battle of China
Battle of Russia
Beechcraft Maintenance and Repair
British Torpedo Plane Tactics
C-1 Autopilot
Carrier Rendezvous and Breakup
The Cold Front
Divide and Conquer
Fast Company
Fixed Gunnery and Fighter Tactics
Fog
Glider Training
Heat Treating
High Level Precision Bombing
Know Your Enemy - Japan
Lofting and Layouts
The Mark 13-Modification I Aerial Torpedo
Minnepolis Honeywell Project [Auto Pilot]
Mock-Up and Tooling
The Occluded Front
Rules of the Nautical Road
Substitutions and Conversion
Template Reproduction
Thunderstorms
V.T.B. Pilot Training
The Warm Front

Air Brakes, Principles of Operation
Attack in the Pacific
Automotive Electricity for Military Vehicles
Basic Map Reading
Battle of Cape Gloucester
Carburetion, Basic Principles
The Case of the Tremendous Trifle
Electric Brakes, Principles of Operation
The Equatorial Front
A Few Quick Facts #7 [Venereal Disease]
Flying the Weather Map
Fundamentals of Artillery Weapons
The Howgozit Chart
Howitzer,105mm M2A1 and Carriage M2, Principles of Operation
It's Your War, Too
Operation and Maintenance of the Electronic Turbo Supercharger
Theory of Simplex and Phantom Circuits
Tuning Transmitters
Two Down and One to Go
Ward Care of Psychotic Patients
Weather at War
Weather for the Navigator
Your Job in Germany

Another Chance [UN Peace Charter]
Burma Campaign [The Stilwell Road]
Dental Health
On to Tokyo
War Comes to America
The Right Spark Plug in the Right Place
Portuguese Reading Films 1 and 2
Prevention And Control of Distortion in Arc Welding
The Dawn of Better Living
Something You Didn't Eat
Insects as Carriers of Disease
Infant Care
Hold Your Horsepower
What is Disease?
The Human Body
Tuberculosis
Light is What You Make It

The ABC of Hand Tools
The Building of a Tire
Bathing Time for Baby
Environmental Sanitation
Planning for Good Eating
Jet Propulsion
Treasure from the Sea
The Story of Menstruation

How To Catch a Cold
Steel and America (featuring Donald)

Portraits of Canada
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Exactly - some of that material was included in the Front Lines set, and I think it's fair to say that all that in its entirety would not belong together with the "ordinary" shorts. Most of it might not be very entertaining at all. So there's a lot more in the "educational" department than a few Donald and Goofy shorts and the Jiminy Cricket bits. Some books have lists of educational titles - I don't know quite what a complete list would be like either.