Will Don Bluth's animated movies ever become SE?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

LOL, so true Escapay!
carter1971
Gold Classic Collection

Post by carter1971 »

my chicken is infected wrote:
xxhplinkxx wrote:a new 2 disc edition of The Pebble and the Penguin
I looked for that on Amazon, and they said it only has one disc. But it is a new reissue with some bonuses, albeit probably lame ones. And it's in widescreen, and anamorphically enhanced.

I can't see why it'd get a 2-Disc release. I've seen the movie's box office gross on IMDB. Pretty abysmal. It's not one of Don's most popular movies, and I doubt there's enough material for two discs.
I looked at this while I was out DVD shopping today. The box says that it's a 2-disc edition on the front, but there is nothing on the back to indicate such. The only extras listed were a featurette, music video, and some games. I thought maybe it was offered in two aspect ratios, but that is also not the case. It's apparently either a misprint on the front, or just unnecessarily streched over two discs to boost sales.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Escapay wrote:
bradhig wrote:Most of his stuff doesn't interest me much.
Except for the "rubbish" ending of Anastasia. :P

Escapay
I think I have a good explanation for why I don't like that but its complicated.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

"or just unnecessarily streched over two discs to boost sales."

I believe your right on that one

Disc #1 -- Pebble and the Penguin: Main Feature
Play
Scene Selection
Language Selection
Language and Audio
English 5.0 Dolby Surround
French 5.0 Dolby Surround
Spanish Dolby Surround
Subtitles
English
Spanish
None
Disc #2 -- Pebble and the Penguin: Special Features
Featurettes
Play All
The Making of the "Pebble and the Penguin": No Stone Unturned
Music for Now and Forever
Set-Top Games
Hubie's Journey
Your Penguin Twin
Trivial Escape
Catch the Pebble
A-Maze-Ing Race
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

i actually like his movies and he does have a 2-disc film out. it's called Anastasia. it's two discs because it's got Bartok The Magnificent on the second one along with a language track for two songs in 24 languages, three games, learn to draw feature, a music video, and other interactive features. and for the other ones the only way they could be two disc is if they put a lot of Trivia challanges and games on it and found a decent documentry and music video. to bad his last film was Titan A.E. back in 2000. why hasn't he come out with a new film :cry: ?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I don't like the Aspect Ratio on the Anastasia two disc set its smaller then the original dvd and I have both. Titan A. E. failed because it didn't get enough adverstising. When Anastsaia came out you could not know it was playing there was merchindise everywhere and lots of TV ads.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

bradhig wrote:I don't like the Aspect Ratio on the Anastasia two disc set its smaller then the original dvd and I have both.
That's because it's only in its OAR, whereas the old DVD had the OAR and the hackjob P&S version as well.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Here's a scene from the best part of the movie before it went downhill.

okay here is the original dvd
http://www.sfstlskyway.com/originalanastasia.jpg

and the special edtion
http://www.sfstlskyway.com/seanastasia.jpg

When I was loading the special edition there was ad for lots of fox kids stuff and when the showed clips from Anastasia. Empress Marie was putting the crown on Anastasia's "She said Anastasia Empress of All Russia." hmm I think someone's been reading my mind hehe :lol: :lol:
carter1971
Gold Classic Collection

Post by carter1971 »

First of all, the special edition pic has more picture, not less. Secondly, as Escapay said, this is the true aspect ratio, and was offered on the first disc as well, along with the hack job in the first pic.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Siren wrote:About the hate towards Bluth....Bluth was strongly involved in movies like Rescuerers and Fox and the Hound and look how good they were. As far as I'm concerned, they were as much of Bluth movies as they were Disney movies. Like Disney, he had a great eye for really making the audience feel for orphans. And he focuses on details. An American Tail's artwork is as stunning as any Disney movie out there. As is Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time. He isn't a Disney-wanna-be, he was a major hitter in Disney animation for years before he quit because he didn't like how they got so cheap. He loves details. He has no problem spending days on one scene. Look at the Great Owl scene in NIMH, that took months to complete, because like Walt Disney, he was a perfectionist. And when the heads at Disney told him, "don't bother to color in the eyes" for the movie Rescuers, because it would save Disney money, he quickly started getting sick of it. They cut corners to save money and Disney suffered, till they finally brought back the Disney tradition of detailed animation and stories with Little Mermaid. While Bluth has never wavered from his attention to detail. He struggles to make movies now. Because he rather struggle to make it so it perfect, then do it cheap and fast and sloppy.

And box officer scores mean jack. A lot of Disney classics did very poorly in the theaters too. Fantasia was a box office bomb and yet it is scene as a work of art now
I always thought it was Richard Williams that was the animation perfectionist? If you ever saw the uncut Theif and the Cobler on youtube then you'll know what I'm talking about.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

bradhig wrote:okay here is the original dvd
http://www.sfstlskyway.com/originalanastasia.jpg

and the special edtion
http://www.sfstlskyway.com/seanastasia.jpg
And look at just how much image is lost if you watch the film in pan & scan...

color = widescreen
b/w = pan and scan

It's not an exact measure, I simply looked to the sides of the pan & scan cap you provided and cut it out of a b/w copy of the widescreen color cap, then overlaid it on top of the normal widescreen color cap.

Still, you get more picture in widescreen.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Siren wrote:About the hate towards Bluth....Bluth was strongly involved in movies like Rescuerers and Fox and the Hound and look how good they were.
Which makes me dislike Bluth even MORE so. :wink:
They cut corners to save money and Disney suffered, till they finally brought back the Disney tradition of detailed animation and stories with Little Mermaid.
You're kidding right?

Ariel is so off model in nearly every shot she's in it's not even funny. And don't get me started one the so called "story" and whiney character.
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I see now. The original was a pan and scan hack job.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Super Aurora wrote:
Siren wrote:About the hate towards Bluth....Bluth was strongly involved in movies like Rescuerers and Fox and the Hound and look how good they were. As far as I'm concerned, they were as much of Bluth movies as they were Disney movies. Like Disney, he had a great eye for really making the audience feel for orphans. And he focuses on details. An American Tail's artwork is as stunning as any Disney movie out there. As is Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time. He isn't a Disney-wanna-be, he was a major hitter in Disney animation for years before he quit because he didn't like how they got so cheap. He loves details. He has no problem spending days on one scene. Look at the Great Owl scene in NIMH, that took months to complete, because like Walt Disney, he was a perfectionist. And when the heads at Disney told him, "don't bother to color in the eyes" for the movie Rescuers, because it would save Disney money, he quickly started getting sick of it. They cut corners to save money and Disney suffered, till they finally brought back the Disney tradition of detailed animation and stories with Little Mermaid. While Bluth has never wavered from his attention to detail. He struggles to make movies now. Because he rather struggle to make it so it perfect, then do it cheap and fast and sloppy.

And box officer scores mean jack. A lot of Disney classics did very poorly in the theaters too. Fantasia was a box office bomb and yet it is scene as a work of art now
I always thought it was Richard Williams that was the animation perfectionist? If you ever saw the uncut Theif and the Cobler on youtube then you'll know what I'm talking about.
Disney and Bluth are far from the only animation perfectionists. Miyazaki comes to mind as well.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

The only thing I would hate him is the messed plot of Anastasia.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

bradhig wrote:The only thing I would hate him is the messed plot of Anastasia.
*through gritted teeth*

Yes. We. Know.

:frog:

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Are you sure you understand the magnitude of Anastasia's sucky ending Escapay? I mean, are you REALLY sure?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Siren wrote:Are you sure you understand the magnitude of Anastasia's sucky ending Escapay? I mean, are you REALLY sure?
I'm pissed at the makers of Anastasia for not making the ending suck enough. Would've been cooler to see Anastasia start seducing Rasputin and they decide to take over Russia and rule as tyrants... :P :P :P

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm waiting for Thumbelina on a decent release. Then again, most TLM fans are waiting for Thumbelina on a decent release, then again Jodi Benson is in it, then again Jodi Benson is Ariel, then again Ariel is in The Little Mermaid, then again I'm waiting for Thumbelina on a decent release, then again.... I suppose you get the picture.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I figure if they ended it the way I wanted a lot of people would be complaining so they didn't do it. If I had done it even one person complaining would have been one too many.