The Incredibles
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo & Toy Story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure we'll get somewhat of a skew towards the latest film, but as usual my personal skew is mostly towards the earlier works.

For now, I'll leave this in General Discussion with the hopes that people won't simply make lists but add comments.

If pressed, here's how I'd rank them:

1) Toy Story - Their first film is still their best. Just a wonderful story, filled with heart. Great adventure, great laughs, and characters you feel are alive and human (even though they're toys). And the film pulls off three endings that totally engage you and thrill you. The entire environment is really appealing and Randy Newman's score is one of the best he's written.

2) A Bug's Life - For their second film, Pixar did something very different. The phrase that gets thrown around ("epic of miniature proportions") is in some ways true. It is an epic, and one that's easily to get involved with. You have a delightfully heinous villain, as big a cast as any other Pixar film, and an ambitious non-formulaic story. Yes, the premise is very similar to <i>Three Amigos!</i> (or more loosely, <i>Seven Samurai</i>), but it's taken in its own direction and works so very well. I particularly like protagonist Flik and repeat viewings reveal even more to appreciate that you can't always pick up because there's so much going on.

3) The Incredibles - Much of what can be said about <i>A Bug's Life</i> applies here. It's fresh, ambitious, and quite a departure from what's come before it. The characters are literally human here, and they are given an impressive level of depth. The action sequences really come to life (a rarity in modern cinema), and everything is just so tightly and cleverly plotted without feeling artificial. I love the way they captured both caricatures and reality with the animation, and these are characters I would love to spend more time with.

4) Toy Story 2 - I had very high expectations for this film, with the first <i>Toy Story</i> being one of my favorites. In spite of that, I can't really say this disappointed me. It's refreshing to have such thought go into a sequel and such an effort to stay faithful to what has already happened. (Think of how many characters who are mentioned in the first film and we see for the first time here: Zurg, Al, Mrs. Potato Head, Buster. That said, the split rescue narrative isn't as strong a structure as other Pixar films, and it's a pity that Buzz and Woody are hardly together on screen. There's much more to be explored with the gang intact in Andy's room.

5) Finding Nemo - I wasn't taken in by the teasers, and I feared there might be an end to Pixar's streak, but as their highest-grossing film by far and the top-selling DVD ever, that's clearly not the case. I'm glad people like this film so much, and some may enjoy it more than me. Thomas Newman's score is different and very much a strong point. The sea environment caters to some dazzling animation and it has a great feel to it. The "father and forgetful friend searching for son" structure has some weaknesses, but each of their adventures has you viscerally and emotionally invested in the story.

6) Monsters, Inc. - It's crazy to think of this as Pixar's weakest film, because I thought it was easily the best of its year. It was robbed at the Oscars, and it really did rock my world the way all the others have. A tiny bit of it isn't as strongly-written as other Pixar films, with certain gags playing strictly to the little ones. And I think it almost wavers in allowing Billy Crystal's character to be funny without necessarily furthering the plot. Still, there's much to marvel about this film. Thematically, it's close to the <i>Toy Story</i> films and it has that same keen sense in observing childhood and imagination. The trip to the Himalyas is fun too!

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president

Last edited by Luke on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
A Bug's Life
Toy Story II
Toy Story
Monsters, Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:47 pm 
Special Edition

1. The Incredibles: Brad Bird sure know how to make a near-perfect movie! Congrats
2. Toy Story2: Disney have to learn from PIXAR how to make a sequel better than the original!
3. Monsters INC- for its gorgeous poetical ending which screams for "PLEASE DON'T RUIN ME BY DOING A CHEAPQUEL"
4. A bug's Life
5. Toy Story
6. Nemo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:02 pm 
Special Edition

Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Bugs Life
The Incredibles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:04 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This is real tough, I have to say, even the worst Pixar film is still a masterpiece :)

1. A Bug's Life.
2. Monsters Inc.
3. Toy Story 2.
4. The Incredibles.
5. Finding Nemo.
6. Toy Story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:02 pm 
Collector's Edition

1. Finding Nemo
2. A Bug's Life
3. Toy Story 2
4. Toy Story

Monster's Inc: They played this on the airplane while I was going on vacation a while back but I kind of didn't really pay attention to it as I thought (like all the other Pixar movies) it looked dumb, but near the end I started paying more attention and actually liked it, so I can't really say what i'd rank this as, compared to the other pixar films i've seen beginning to end.

I should really stop judging Pixar films, cause i've judged them all without watching them and when I did watch them I really liked them.

The Incredibles: Can't really say what i'd rank this as either since I haven't seen it yet, but I will be renting it today :D

Maybe I should also rent Monster's Inc. to see it from the beginnning instead of Brother Bear....

Last edited by Dan05 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:15 pm 
Special Edition

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3 Monsters Inc.

I don't want to rank the Toy Story films as I haven't seen them in a very long time, hopefully they'll get rereleased. :( I haven't seen A Bug's Life yet, I should pick it up as it's cheap at most places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:04 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

The Incredibles - My 2nd favorite movie ever (behind Pulp Fiction)
Monsters, Inc. - Just an excellent, excellent movie that I have a real soft spot for.
Toy Story - A genius accomplishment, groundbreaking and soooooo much fun.
Finding Nemo - It's not down this far cause it's a bad MOVIE...but after seeing it 1500000000000000000000000000 times, I started to get a little sick of it. It's back in my vault for a few years.
A Bug's Life - Definitely a good movie. But Pixar has done so much OTHER great stuff that this kind of slips down.
Toy Story 2 - The best sequel to an animated movie ever. However, it drives me crazy how they reuse the same ideas (see the ending where they're chasing the airplane...too many CLOSE similarties to the end of TS1 [with the moving van]).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:14 pm 
Collector's Edition

Finding Nemo is my favorite, then Monster's Inc and then Toy Story. I didn't see A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2 or Incredibles. Though I do want to see Toy Story 2 some time. We will have to see. I'm still iffy on if I want to see The Incredibles.

Tabbi <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

EDITTED because Luke said, "For now, I'll leave this in General Discussion with the hopes that people won't simply make lists but add comments. But I'll take the former route and say..." DISCUSSION..therefore..DISCUSSION! ;)

1.) Toy Story 2
- They introduced more chacters and the story of Woody being part of a gang (or group) before becoming Andy's was so interesting! And all toys were working together to save Woody, Buzz found out who his father was (:lol:), and BULLSEYE!

2.) The Incredibles
- Jack-Jack. ;) In addition to 5 humans with super powers! I think the effects of CGI were awesome for this movie! It had an entertaining story, had its funny scenes, and humans with powers! 8)

3.) A Bug's Life
- Francis as a lady bug. :lol: This movie made me laugh a lot! "shoo fly, don't bother me". All the characters were hilarious! :) I liked the story for this movie because good triumphed over evil. Certainly amazing!

4.) Toy Story
- Wasn't as great as the second one (ironic huh?) but since it was the first of DISNEY CGI, it had to be ranked up there. I thought the tension between BUZZ and WOODY gave the movie its great appeal. :) But that stupid kid SID annoyed the hell out of me. :evil:

5.) Finding Nemo
- Nemo was adorable, Marlin&Dory were funny! It was a cute story of "growing up" for a kid and "letting go" for a parent (something like that).

6.) Monsters Inc.
- Sulley and Mike were a great pair! :) This was also an entertaining movie but not better than the 5 I mentioned (in my opinion :roll:). Yea, I know Boo's in this movie (that adorable toddler!) but it just wasn't as great.

and like PatrickvD said:
Quote:
This is real tough, I have to say, even the worst Pixar film is still a masterpiece
:) except I'm talking about Monsters Inc. It's still a goood movie. :up:

Last edited by RJKD23 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Well here is my list....

1.Monsters Inc.
2.Finding Nemo
3.ToyStory 2
4.Toy Story
5.The Incredibles
6.A Bug's Life

:D ( I hope the Disney and Pixar can patch things up)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:41 pm 
Super Genius

Here Goes

1. Toy Story
  2. Toy Story 2
  3. The Incredibles
  4. Monster's Inc.
  5. A Bugs Life
  6. Finding Nemo

STDVDS : gasconsherri : haasenterprises : helppay4kidscollege : mtandk0614 : zoosed : sniperxray2 : moker04 : dvdtitan : jedsdvds4u : dvd_isle : ander_island : hollabrady : aikon83 : nowentertmt : tell_your_story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:48 pm 
Limited Edition

So far, I like each pixar film better than the one before it.
1.The Incredibles
2.Finding Nemo
3.Monsters, Inc.
4.Toy Story II
5.A Bug's Life
6.Toy Story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:23 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

1. A Bug's Life - Underrated Brilliance!
2. Toy Story 2 - Wonderfully Amazing!
3. Finding Nemo- very Good
4. Toy Story -Good
5. The Incredibles -meh
6. Monsters INC - urgh!

Last edited by ichabod on Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:47 pm 
Limited Edition

1. The Incredibles- The only Pixar film I really liked.
2. Toy Story- The first CGI will go down into history.
3. A Bug's Life- A little slow at times, but still good.
4. Toy Story 2- A worthy sequel.
5. Finding Nemo- So So
6. Monster's Inc.- same as Nemo.

3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:02 pm 
Special Edition

great avatar Ichabod :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story 2
3. Toy Story
4. Monsters Inc.
5. Finding Nemo
6. A Bug's Life

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:21 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

1. Finding Nemo
2. The Incredibles
3. Monsters, Inc.
4. Toy Story 2
5. Toy Story
6. A Bug's Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:05 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

6. Finding Nemo- The overratedness killed the most of the experience for me!

5.A Bug's Life- It's okay but dosen't have much of the Pixar magic.

4. Toy Story-My favorite movie as a kid. I've watched it so many times I've gotten a little tired of it. I still love it though.

3. Monster's Inc- Has some of the most clever and most funniest gags in a movie. Should've gotten the Oscar instead of Shrek.

2. Toy Story 2- Slightly better than the first. It's funnier but still manages to have the heart of the original. The King Of All Sequels.

1. The Incredibles- Truly Incredible. It has something for everyone: action, comedy, romance, drama. Beat the Lion King for my all time favorite animated movie. WELL DONE PIXAR!!!

Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.