DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary Poppins Returns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

What tsom said! Lin is just a guy who happened to find great success over something unexpected and the success is doubling every day. You don't have to like Lin, but give the guy a break for living his best life. Plus, he sounds very sweet and grateful to all of the opportunities Disney has given him from interviews and his Twitter.

I can't do the comparison, Duster. My Photoshop doesn't work anymore :/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh...sorry about your Photoshop. Ok, well, I guess the colors are bright, and I looked at "Jolly Holiday" and the colors aren't as bright there, you're right. Interesting that Walt Disney never made that scene bright. Maybe because it was a chalk drawing in the rain after all.

Sotiris, Pamela Travers said she wouldn't allow Bert and Mary to be romantically interested in each other the original. You think they were?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Sotiris, Pamela Travers said she wouldn't allow Bert and Mary to be romantically interested in each other the original. You think they were?

You don't? :? It may have been more subtle than how Disney usually treats romance, possibly due to the author's protests, but it's clear Bert and Mary Poppins were romantically interested in each other in the film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I like Lin. Ive seen the PBS docu on the making of Hamilton and found it fascinating. I liked the music I heard and think I would enjoy the play(not that I could ever afford to watch it, sigh.) I thought his Moana music & songs were fantastic.
on the other hand Im not crazy abut the Zendaya casting for Ariel. Eh fine, Ill live. These remakes/reboots/whatevers aren't ever 100 percent perfect anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 am 
Limited Edition

https://twitter.com/BetteMidler/status/1045140033458581505

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:45 am 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:

You don't? :? It may have been more subtle than how Disney usually treats romance, possibly due to the author's protests, but it's clear Bert and Mary Poppins were romantically interested in each other in the film.

I think first time I watched it I thought Bert liked Mary but that was it, and last time I saw the film I didn't think either was romantically interested in the other.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't know if anyone else found this yet but I believe this scene that's being shot must be the "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" number with the lamplighters on bikes. The music sounds really good here I think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-U4kSWH85I

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:54 pm 
Limited Edition

^I don't think it has been posted before, thanks for sharing! Not only the sequence, but even the music reminds a bit of "Step in Time".

Angela Lansbury reveals in this other video that she sings the last song in the film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:36 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Angela Lansbury reveals in this other video that she sings the last song in the film.
I'm happy that it looks like her character is at the center of the message of the film. Her song must be this film's "Let's Go Fly a Kite."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:41 am 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
D82 wrote:
I'm happy that it looks like her character is at the center of the message of the film. Her song must be this film's "Let's Go Fly a Kite."

According to this article, the song that Angela Lansbury sings in question is called "Nowhere To Go But Up". So far I'm quite liking the song titles and I wonder how many more songs are in this movie. Plus I love the fact that Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman are writing these songs in the vein of the Sherman Brothers' writing style; reminds me of the Lopez's doing the songs for the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie with that inspiration in mind. :D

https://www.bustle.com/p/all-the-songs-in-mary-poppins-returns-include-lin-manuel-miranda-rapping-a-meryl-streep-cameo-11890285

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns” songwriting team will perform at D23’s Destination D event this November
https://insidethemagic.net/2018/10/ba1- ... -november/

Musical Master wrote:
So far I'm quite liking the song titles and I wonder how many more songs are in this movie. Plus I love the fact that Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman are writing these songs in the vein of the Sherman Brothers' writing style; reminds me of the Lopez's doing the songs for the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie with that inspiration in mind. :D

I think the Lopezes did a great job capturing the Sherman Brothers' style for Winnie the Pooh, while still adding their own touch. I hope the composers here can achieve that too, but I'm not too hopeful. The songs from Mary Poppins are even more iconic, so it mustn't be an easy task to live up to them.

Regarding the number of songs in the movie, the original film had 13 songs plus several reprises, and in that article they only mention 8. There might be more songs that haven't been revealed, but I think it's also possible these are all the songs in the film. The original Mary Poppins is 140 minutes long, this one will be probably shorter, which means time for fewer songs. And audiences now are not so used to musicals, so maybe they fear people might get bored if there are too many musical numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I actually remembered that if you count the original theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there was only about 7 songs all together so this isn't a bad song count if that is all of them. Also it's awesome that Marc and Scott are going to more or less talk about the score and songs next month. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Musical Master wrote:
I actually remembered that if you count the original theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there was only about 7 songs all together so this isn't a bad song count if that is all of them.

No, it's not a bad number. Most recent Disney musicals had fewer songs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:23 pm 
Limited Edition

D82 wrote:
Musical Master wrote:
I actually remembered that if you count the original theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, there was only about 7 songs all together so this isn't a bad song count if that is all of them.

No, it's not a bad number. Most recent Disney musicals had fewer songs.

I know, having more than 5-6 songs in a Disney film is considered a blessing nowadays. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 pm 
Limited Edition

https://deadline.com/2018/10/disneys-ma ... 202482082/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:57 pm 
Limited Edition

The reviews sound very promising! Especially the part about Disney planning to submit Mary Poppins Returns as a Best Picture candidate alongside Black Panther.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 am 
Limited Edition

Quote:
“Director Rob Marshall has created a masterpiece in updating one of the most beloved stories of all time,” said one very high up executive of a large theatre chain. “It is an uplifting story and visually lush film, with happy songs, joyous choreography and some just dazzling animated scenes. In Mary Poppins Returns, once again Disney has made a family movie for the ages.”

This is giving me a lot of hope that this might turn out to be a really, REALLY good movie, possibly Disney's best live action film of the decade thus far. December needs to hurry! :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:09 pm 
Gold Collection

A little more than late to the party but I have to echo everyone else's sentiments about the animation sequence in the latest Mary Poppins Returns. It simply looks fantastic. Even if it was outsourced, it doesn't really matter. It still shows that there is still a place in this world for 2D animation. Bravo to director Rob Marshall and Ken Duncan Studio for convincing the Disney execs to go through with having this in the movie. That scene alone has sold me on the film. Before that I would have said "no way, I am NOT going to see this!" But one look at this was all it needed to change my mind.

I was also really pleased to see Dick Van Dyke dancing in the trailer! For someone in his 90's the man's still got it.

JeanGreyForever wrote:
So many of the comments are about seeing hand-drawn animation again so I hope if the segments are popular enough, it'll send a message to Disney that 2D animation is not dead. If there is a market to cater to nostalgic fans of Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, etc. then certainly there is a market to cater to the nostalgic fans of 2D animation since that is what Disney is best known for, besides theme parks.

Indeed. I am hoping that this movie is successful enough to show that there is an interest in this artform.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:33 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thrilled to hear about the raves! I was quite worried because the songs, no matter how good they are, honestly sounds like they're repeating the first one. Plus, I was worried the lack of Julie Andrews was going to hold the critics down.

Speaking of Julie Andrews, do you think Angela Lansbury's Balloon Lady was written for Julie? I mean, getting the movie closed by Mary Poppins herself would be an explosion of emotions. I can see why Julie would turn down the role. She would definitely (and honestly rightfully) take Emily's thunder at the end. But, hey if it's isn't Julie, Angela is the one to go to! Maybe she could get a Oscar nomination for a tiny, but moving role?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 pm 
Limited Edition

These early reactions are encouraging, but you need to keep in mind they're coming from exhibitors, the director's friend (Bette Middler) and the producer's son (Ben Platt), who aren't critics.

If anyone wants to read Ben Platt's tweet, here it is: https://twitter.com/BenSPLATT/status/1041692268388741121

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Speaking of Julie Andrews, do you think Angela Lansbury's Balloon Lady was written for Julie?

Supposedly.

Quote:
Also putting in an appearance is Disney icon Angela Lansbury, who – if unsubstantiated rumours are to be believed – is playing the part originally intended for Andrews. Lansbury appears as a balloon seller in the film’s final sequence, a character from the books.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/mary-poppins-returns-set-visit-report-disneys-sequel-will-gift-world-155844245.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next