Beauty and the Beast Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by Marce82 »

Lol... I noticed that years ago. Kinda implies the town is THAT boring. That's what they do for fun: stare at a turtle.

Kinda something I noticed on Little Mermaid... during tour of the kingdom, the first wide shot has a fountain in the middle... where a guy is coming on to a girl, so she slaps him and falls in the water. Its there! Little details Disney puts in their movies.. that's how much they care(d?).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

That girl slapping a guy so he falls into the fountain sounds hilarious!

Something else really cool is, in the original Beaumont fairy tale, she writes that fireworks appear when the Beast turns into a prince. In Disney's animated classic, the enchantress' magic that swirls around Belle and the prince as they kiss makes fireworks in the sky!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Beauty and the Beast | All the Facts | Disney+ Deets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdj3wNUIyFE
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Coming 11/2:

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Though I'm not a big fan of Paige O'Hara's paintings, I think it's nice she got to do the cover for her film. And to be honest, it's actually not bad. I like it more than other works from her.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't usually have a problem with her paintings and I'm glad for her that she was able to do that, but this cover is atrocious, it's as if she made a cover for Belle's Magical World instead of Beauty and the Beast, I'd even dare to say that it looks like a cover for one of those goodtimes knock offs. Not that I really care, at this point I find it pointless to release Beauty and the Beast, who doesn't have it already?! Especially after the 4K release. At least with Hunchback it's the first time it comes with a digital code (and a better cover which uses the theatrical poster).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This would have been my favorite:

But if they really wanted one of Paige O'Hara's paintings then they should have used this instead:
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

As much as I like Paige as an actress and person, I can't enjoy her paintings.
She paints the way I draw: recognisable as the characters, but oh so far from professional quality.
With all the gifted artists at Disney, and all the artwork readily available, I am somewhat saddened her name means more than the work here.
... not that I'd buy another release anyway, so who cares what I say?
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:I don't usually have a problem with her paintings and I'm glad for her that she was able to do that, but this cover is atrocious, it's as if she made a cover for Belle's Magical World instead of Beauty and the Beast, I'd even dare to say that it looks like a cover for one of those goodtimes knock offs. Not that I really care, at this point I find it pointless to release Beauty and the Beast, who doesn't have it already?! Especially after the 4K release. At least with Hunchback it's the first time it comes with a digital code (and a better cover which uses the theatrical poster).
What I liked was mainly that it was a new composition and not based on a single shot from the movie, which is what Paige usually does. But it's true it reminds a bit of Belle's Magical World with all those books, and the background is a bit strange; it looks unfinished. The art you suggested for the cover is quite beautiful. Is it a poster or a book cover?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think it was a poster made by Mondo. The artist name is Martin Ansin.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I usually hate Paige O' Hara's paintings, but I love this as a cover. A lot of it is because it looks like something new instead of a direct screenshot, like D82 said. I have no idea if these are wholly new poses she put in her own composition (I doubt she could draw actually good new poses), but I think it looks great! If I was a much bigger Beauty and the Beast fan I might buy it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't mind new poses but I would have liked something more romantic and representative of the film rather than "storytime with Belle".
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, Beauty and the Beast is having it`s 30th Anniversary this fall, so it makes sense to have it be re-released. But I wonder if it will have new Bonus Features. After all, it is regarded as the Cornerstone of the Renaissance.

While that being said, I`m not impressed with Paige O`Hara`s paintings either. She`s not untalented, but there`s nothing particularly impressive or distinctive about her paintings. But the latter picture was one of her better paintings and could`ve been used as a cover.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think it will have the same disc as the previous release, I even wouldn't be surprised if the disc has 25th anniversary written on it as well.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Nandor wrote:As much as I like Paige as an actress and person, I can't enjoy her paintings.
She paints the way I draw: recognisable as the characters, but oh so far from professional quality.
With all the gifted artists at Disney, and all the artwork readily available, I am somewhat saddened her name means more than the work here.
... not that I'd buy another release anyway, so who cares what I say?
Agreed 100%.

Her paintings have long perplexed me. I wasn't sure whether she's a formally trained artist or a self-taught amateur. Not that being a self-taught amateur is in any way bad. There are many brilliant amateur artists that produce superior work to actual professionals, but if I had to guess - she just looks like a hobbyist to me.

I am also baffled that Disney promotes her paintings front and centre, and rather oddly she receives way more attention as an artist than most actually working at WDAS!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Be our guest and celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Beauty And The Beast, universally acclaimed as one of Disney's finest animated films. This Club Exclusive features limited-edition O-Sleeve Art by Disney Legend Paige O'Hara, the voice of Belle/Beauty. Join brave, independent Belle on the adventure of a lifetime as she sets out to rescue her father and finds herself in the enchanted castle of a mysterious beast. This timeless tale is presented in three versions — including a sing-along!
It seems that the only new thing is going to be the slipcover, even the case will be the same. Of course we'll know for sure next month.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:I think it was a poster made by Mondo. The artist name is Martin Ansin.
Oh, OK. Thanks for the info.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I see the "Belle's Magical World" comparison, but I must admit I truly love the cover still! I think it's beautiful!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sorry to hijack this thread again to comment on Paige O'Hara's work, but I visited her site, and am now even more unimpressed, if not shocked at the poor quality of her work that fetches thousands of US dollars.

I am sincerely trying very hard to see if there is some artistic reason for the crudeness on display here, and that it is not some avantgarde graphic language Paige is using that I am simply failing to understand or "get." Much like how famous artists were sometimes derided for their work because it was deemed inept, when it was actually visionary. In those cases the critics were proved horribly wrong. I'm trying not to be that "critic", but I think I can only come to the conclusion that Paige is at best, an absolutely mediocre artist who only sells these paintings because somebody at Disney (I'm guessing not from the animation department) thought they were good enough to earn the "Disney Fine Art" label.

I think the reason these paintings look so bad to me is that they are desperately trying to replicate the original character designs, albeit in oils. There is no attempt at redesigning the characters here to match a personal style. So, when that appears to be the clear objective of these paintings, but then you see things that don't make any sense, e.g. ill-proportioned craniums, poorly structured faces and poses, unappealing compositions, randomly-sprouting fairy wings, etc., you end up scratching your head.

Reportedly the legendary Marc Davis was highly critical of the character animation in The Lion King, thinking the animals in that film were animated like soft toys, and without a feeling of flesh over bone, as in Bambi. I would love to know what he thinks of that Bambi painting, and the fact that it sold for $2,600!! And, as an official product bearing the Disney label!

I cannot speak for somebody else, especially somebody I never knew and who is no longer with us, but I will take a chance here and have the audacity to claim that Davis would likely be disgusted.

To clarify, I have no problem with Paige creating these paintings. If she loves doing these, who am I to say she should stop? However, I do question the way these pieces are promoted as fine art and, in my opinion, hugely overvalued. Frankly, they seem little better than the funny Tangled mural I came across in the hospital and shared on another thread here yesterday.

Rant over.

By the way, I know we have quite a few artists here. I would love to know your opinions, and especially if you think I am missing the point and that there is definite artistic merit to Paige's work!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Jules wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread again to comment on Paige O'Hara's work, but I visited her site, and am now even more unimpressed, if not shocked at the poor quality of her work that fetches thousands of US dollars.
Agreed! The only ones who were fine enough was the one from Bambi and that of Belle healing the wounds of Beast. Otherwise I`m not impressed by her work. It`s just fine at it`s best, but nothing that is truly outstanding.