Beauty and the Beast Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes her paintings are truly awful. That's why they used the one they did for the cover, it's one of the least awful she has done.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I don't know, I like it, but I agree, it's like she created an art for Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Magical World, instead of the original masterpiece.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:I think it was a poster made by Mondo. The artist name is Martin Ansin.
That's my favorite Mondo poster. Even though I would have preferred it a little less busy. Not having the castle servants there or the shadows on the curtains would have made it better, in my opinion. Still, it's really good and surprisingly on-model, which is rare coming from a non-Disney artist.
Jules wrote:I am also baffled that Disney promotes her paintings front and centre, and rather oddly she receives way more attention as an artist than most actually working at WDAS!
It's a gimmick. They believe that having a cover painted by the voice actress of Belle will entice fans. And it works. That's why her paintings fetch such high prices despite the evident lack of quality. You get to own a painting of a Disney character created by the voice of Belle and a Disney Legend. That's what attracts fans and art investors.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree with everyone else, I've never thought her artwork was very good... I was sort of annoyed when The Little Mermaid's Best Buy steelbook cover was one of hers rather than something else. That said, I can't blame her for selling pieces at that price if there are people dumb enoughwilling to buy them. Who wouldn't?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm gonna go off topic for a while, and say that I think your signature collages are so awesome, Divinity. Do you make them yourself?
Disney's Divinity

Thank you. :) Yeah, I make them on my own. I have an old version of Photoshop that I use; maybe someday I'll buy a newer version so I can finally make .gifs. If that ever happens, look out world. :P I know these aren't perfect; I'm not cropping like with my better signatures because I'm too lazy. :lol: I just thought... I have so many screencaps of hand-drawn films on file, particularly villain scenes, why not use them? I should just combine them this way if nothing else. I've been trying to think of similar moments between characters (one with characters in shadow or reflections, this one is sort of a "Moments of Victory" combo). I'll probably have enough to go through November, too, which is why I've been changing them every day. I had actually made the signatures a little larger (around 120 x 750-ish), but I didn't realize the forum blocks you from putting an image larger than 100 x 600 in your sig until now. I always thought that was the official rule, but if it was just a little over the limits it would be okay. Oh, well. So I had to shrink them down further.

I was thinking about doing something similar around Valentine's Day with romantic scenes.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

You are extremely talented, man :) I love 'em.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I had actually made the signatures a little larger (around 120 x 750-ish), but I didn't realize the forum blocks you from putting an image larger than 100 x 600 in your sig until now. I always thought that was the official rule, but if it was just a little over the limits it would be okay.
Ah yesh ... *HIC!*

The daysh when *HIC!* ... UD told you that your avatar could not under any shircumshtanshe be larger than *HIC!* ... one hundred by one hundred pikshelsh.

But then ... on that fateful *HIC!* ... day you found out that when linking to an offshite pic rather than uploading to the forum itshelf, you could ushe any picshure you wanted, even a *HIC!* ... 4K shcreencap.

And that wash your dirty little shecret, you nashty critter.

*HIC!*

Sho ... your avvie would gradually but *HIC!* ... progreshshively get larger, and larger, and LARGER. Until only the legally blind would *HIC!* ... not realishe you were flagrantly ekshploiting a glitsch in the forum shoftware to get away with breaking the forum rulesh everyone knowsh are shet in *HIC!* ... obshidian tabletsh (that may or may not be virtual - or Minecrafty - my intokshicated mind forgetsh ...)

Then, the forum head honcho punishesh you for your *HIC!* ... mishdeedsh, and WE DO NOT TALK OF THE PUNISHMENT becaushe it reopensh old emotional and pshychological wounds*.

*HIC!*

*Yoursh truly may be *HIC!* ... coakshed into revealing the whole shordid affair if you young whippershnappersh ekshibited a shincshere interesht in the illushtrioush hishtory of thish corner of the internet. But all you young people wanna do ish play on your darned gameboysh and tamagotch-whatever-da-hell-thoshe-infernal-thingsh-are! *HIC!* ...

Idiotsh!

:milkbuds: :milkbuds: :milkbuds: :P :P :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I forget the affair! Say it here or pm me Jules!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

The best Disney movie of all time. I'm so glad we brunette girls got a heroine we could look up to and identify as.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

A reminder that Belle was the first brown-haired, BROWN-EYED princess! As noted by legend Paige O'Hara herself!
“I can’t tell you how many girls have said ‘oh you made me feel like it’s OK, it’s cool to be a geek, this is the first Disney Princess who looks like me just have brown hair and brown eyes’. It’s as if they identified with her.”
https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/belle ... ige-ohara/

So why is Disney so bigoted as to change her eyes to hazel :?: :?: :?: The bigots responsible for this whitewashing should be lashed.
Disney's Divinity

That logo is really nice. It's similar to the one for Snow White a year or so back.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Found this on eBay. The only thing that's new is the slipcover, case and disc are exactly the same as the Signature Collection, only without the "25th" and the Signature Collection logo:

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Storyboards of the ballroom sequence, posted on the Disney Central Plaza:
https://www.disneycentralplaza.com/t602 ... isney-1991

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Lovingly rendered storyboards.

I get the impression that storyboards nowadays are very, very rough and sparse. I am sure they fulfill their intended function just fine, but they are a far cry from the beautifully detailed work of years gone by.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What an a amazing find farerb! They are so much like what ended up in the movie! The movie just made them even better! I like the shadow and light as they enter the ballroom in the storyboards, though! And I don't remember if Lumiere helped coach Beasf how to eat his soup in the movie or not, and I like that part in the storyboards.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

These are beautiful. Awesome find
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney released Beauty and the Beast 30th Anniversary dolls on November 8, 2021. Check them out here.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Belle is beautiful, but Beast looks so weird, especially his head. It looks like a balloon.

Meanwhile, I got the BestBuy Steelbook edition of the movie, and I watched it in 4K last night. It really puts the beauty in Beauty and the Beast. I'm really bummed that only the theatrical version is included on the 4K disc. I'm one of those who actually likes Human Again. But it's really funny that they kept the Special Edition ending shot during Something There. You can see Lumière and Fifi getting ready to close the door, but then, it cuts to the Beast having a bath. Such an awkward edit. But other than this, I think the 4K presentation of the movie is gorgeous.