Releases for 4/29

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Releases for 4/29

Post by Jake Lipson »

Okay, I stole this idea from the DVDFile boards, but here it is anyway. Each week I'll post a list of the new Disney releases for that week and we can all tell each other what we're going to be buying. So, here we go.
  • Treasure Island
    Treasure Planet
Out of those I'll go in for Treasure Planet now and save Treasure Island for later since funds are limited and right now I can only have one. Besides, Treasure Island is a bit pricy, especially for a barebones disc.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

Treasure Planet first.

Is Treasure Island really barebone?
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

My Disney Store didn't have Treasure Island. Treasure Planet, yes! The trailer for Brother Bear looks very good!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well Amazon.Com sent out my Treasure Planet last Tuesday... but it's still in the International post (should get it by Thursday based on past times).

I've also pre-ordered the French Treasure Planet/Island set out on May 13th so, techincally I suppose I'm getting both.

I know, but I like having the better packaging of the 'International' versions - it's just as valid to collect international DVD releases as badges and figures. :)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

poco wrote:Is Treasure Island really barebone?
Indeed. Not a feature. The Audio and Video quality are good, and it's the fully restored PG-rated original cut of the film. But still $29.99 SRP is just too darn high for a bare disc, especially when the first wave of Vault Disney releases now carry just a $22.99 SRP.
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

Well I bought Treasure Planet off of Ebay last night (it was cheaper than it'd be in the store) so I'm hoping it'll get here soon. I've never seen TP but I've heard such great things about it that I decided to buy blind. :)
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Treasure Planet
pre-ordered Jungle Book 2 as well.
Hennie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hennie »

Treasure Planet is a good movie:)

Treasure Island was released a couple years ago by Warner Home Video in Holland, Buena Vista release is also out but i can't it on any dutch dvd sites:(
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

If Treasure Island is barebone and that expensive then I'm not getting it right now at all. I'll just wait until it hits less than 15.00 at Wal*mart. This is depressing.

NO FAIR
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Hennie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hennie »

here in holland €14.99 + 1000 air miles quit cheap i think
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

poco wrote:Treasure Planet first.

Is Treasure Island really barebone?
Yeah, I don't think it has any bonus features, not even a trailer or commentary track. :shock: $20 for a barebones DVD is overpriced.

Technical Specifications:
Color
1.33:1 Aspect Ratio
Closed Captioned
Region 1
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Jules
Diamond Edition

Treasure Island

Post by Jules »

I wasn't planning on buying TP, because I'd rather rent it first to make sure I want to own it. I've heard very mixed reviews from people I know.

I wasn't going to buy Treasure Island either, considering how high the price is (plus I'm enraged Disney made it bare-bones), but I saw it at Costco for $17 and decided to pick it up. Figured that would be the cheapest I'd find it anywhere.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

i like how Disney is teaching people that like FoolScreen how widescreen is better, on the TP DVD they did the same Propaganda found in the B&B booklet! im very happy about that :D
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Due to the price of shipping and the exchange rate, I'm am buying my local version (which doesn't come out until 21st May). You lucky people you :cry:

Same features etc though.... (as far as I know).
We have a copy of Treasure Insland here, but I'm not sure if the quality is as good as the restored copy the US is getting. If someone is buying the new TI, please let me know if it is a marvel to behold or I should just get the cheap local version...
Last edited by Loomis on Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Peter Pan

Treasure Island

Post by Peter Pan »

When i picked up Treasure Planet this morning at the Disney Store i was amazed that the lady at the counter when i asked her about Treasure Island all she had to say was i dont think its available.

HELLOOOOOO!!!!

I told her its been listed for a long time now and i just got a blank look. I will find it somewhere else since they dont seem to want any sales. I would think with Treasure Planet being released what better way to promote Treasure Island the orginal its based on. Saw it at Walmart tonight but no price listed so i avoided it for the time being. Funds are a little low at the moment so i was better not knowing.

Disney Store people need to keep up on the latest releases or better yet why dont i go work there and give people the correct information. At least I could answer any question about upcoming releases because i like everyone here keep up on the releases to come.

Oh well
Chuck
Well well, a Codfish on a HOOK!
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Some people are already selling "factory sealed" copies of "Treasure Planet" on Ebay.com.
wdwleesa
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wdwleesa »

My Disney Store had no idea about Treasure Island, either. Walmart has it for 19.99 so I guess I will pick it up there.

And thanks, Jake, for posting the releases for this week. Please do this again!! It's very handy.

Leesa :)
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Disney Stores dont cary Catalog Titles at all they only carry major tittles unless these get a better treatment they wont be available at disney store! sad but true! :cry:
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Loomis wrote:If someone is buying the new TI, please let me know if it is a marvel to behold or I should just get the cheap local version...
It looks much better than previous times I've seen it - not as dark or grainy, more colorful. But it's not anything glorious. They could've done a better job.
Goofy Luv

Post by Goofy Luv »

Picked up Treasure Planet pre-order at the Disney Store, then went to the Wherehouse & traded in 3 discs for Treasure Island. Luckily, I got the only copy :)
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... disney">My Disney DVD Collection</a>

Webmaster, Fresno's DVD Connection