DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Are you a Disney fan or an animation fan?
The only movies I watch are Disney 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
My favorites are from Disney, but I watch other animation 48%  48%  [ 20 ]
I like Disney and other animation equally (but no Anime) 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
I like all forms of animation (including Anime) 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:02 am 
Limited Edition

I was curious to see if most people here were strictly Disney fans, or if they liked other animation as well.

Personally, while I have a decent collection of animated and non-animated Disney (for me, not any kids,) I don't consider Disney to be the pinnacle of my collection.

I am also a huge anime fan, and I enjoy the classic cartoons from Warner Bros, MGM, and others. I also like the "adult" TV animation, like South Park, The Critic, Dilbert, The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, etc.

I don't really consider them Disney, but I have all of the Pixar films out so far, as well as many of the CG films from other studios.

I also enjoy claymation and puppets/Muppets/marionettes, although I don't have many discs yet for most of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:13 pm 
Gold Collection

I'm a big fan of animation in general, but my favourite films are mostly Disney or Pixar. However, some of my favourites are by Aardman and Dreamworks. Yikes, should I confess to that on a Disney forum?

I prefer 2D animation over CGI, but as Pixar have proved us, CGI can be great when the story is strong enough. I think that my problem with computer animation is that sometimes (at least in the past) the films seem to have been created just for the sake of showing how wonderful computers can be.

Besides 2D, I love claymation and puppet animation. One of my favourite films is The Nightmare Before Christmas, and anything that Aardman have done is brilliant.

Anime is a bit stranger genre for me. I've nothing against anime, and some of the films or TV series that I have seen haven't been too bad at all. I'm just not that into it (yet). That said, with a little more exposure, one might easily end up being swept away by Asian style animation...

There aren't that many big Finnish animators, but if possible, you should check out Katariina Lillqvist's puppet shorts about the history of the Roma people. They're beautifully staged with lots of detail, and the music is positively hypnotising.

Last edited by Bashful on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:04 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Like many here, I'm sure, my favorites are from Disney and from Pixar BY FAR. However, I do enjoy other animation - Looney Tunes being my top pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Like Jack, Disney and Pixar are at the top of my list, but I do give other animation a chance. I'm not a big fan of anime. TV animation doesn't necessarily always make great use of the medium, but the comedy programs that take the animated form are often good, with my favorite being "The Simpsons."

I like claymation, and the Will Vinton Studios put out some good stuff, though I'd have trouble giving you specific examples right now. I love the "Peanuts" specials, although generally, that's referring to those from the '60s through '90s more than the little bit of (not so good) recent ones I've seen. Haven't seen "Wallace & Gromit" but I liked Aardman's <i>Chicken Run</i> a lot.

As far as DreamWorks goes, had <i>Shrek</i> not been so oversaturated and shoved down our throats in the past 3 1/2 years, I might think more highly of it. My initial impression was that it wasn't too bad. I just much prefer movies with heart and soul than those with gags and 'racy jokes'.

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Jack wrote:
Like many here, I'm sure, my favorites are from Disney and from Pixar BY FAR. However, I do enjoy other animation - Looney Tunes being my top pick.

You're like me. I'm gonna commit blasphemy here, but I like Dreamworks' films like Shrek and The Prince of Egypt.

Blog | Deviantart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey, just look at my name! I love StudioGhibli!! I also like DonBluth films and Dreamworks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:52 pm 
Ultraviolet Edition

I like all kinds of Animation, but i'm the deathie mouse: at the end all films come to me :twisted:

From classic Disney to Ray Harryhausen back to Pixel polished CGI to weird crude experimental dark stuff with ferrous magnetic particles, there is something about animation I've always liked, the thing of bringing to life something that's inanimate. Must be some Frankenstein spark thing: It's Alive! Alive!. going philosophical here, animation: our first robots? life made on our own image (and dreams and nightmares and beyond abstraction too)?
Disney becomes like the Mountain surrounded by other peaks and valleys forming a Land

I love all kinds of movies (and books and records). Animation always gets it's own section.
the film from another dimension. a dimension beetween ink and cel a place not yet true but not yet false

A film like Who Framed Roger Rabbit was like a dream come to life, somehow it was true: there existed such a place. Kind also like the premise of the Last Action Hero. My only regret there are not many more movies or shorts like that being done (rights and corporations and style clashes issues :( ) maybe someday in some future.

Anime is great too not only cus its different somewhat minimalistic style insterspersed with great exageration, but also cus it mainly reflects a different culture which happens with all animation from different countries but mmm being animation some earthbound restraints are set loose and it's different than most regular (live action) films well i'm blabbing on :P

one thing i can't never get into is South Park :P

(While looving other "similar" things like the original Ren and Stimpy) (You eeediot!)
hey i'm weird. let me be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am 
Platinum Edition

My favorites are from Disney, but I watch other animation.

I like every Disney animation films also Disney television series like Duck Tales, Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles.
I also like to watch Batman, Teen Titians and Justice League Unlimited.
I really also like to watch Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT also other like Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Yugioh.
Others like post 80's shows Transformers and G.I. Joe.
I also like computer graphics like Jimmy Neutron, Finding Nemo and Toy Story.
I usually like action or adventure shows like Gargoyles, Justice League or Teen Titans also Spider-Man, X-men, Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four from the Marvel lineup.

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:

Last edited by MickeyMousePal on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:13 am 
Site Admin

MickeyMousePal wrote:
My favorites are from Disney, but I watch other animation.

In the future, would you mind giving more thought to your post than simply copying and pasting your poll reply? Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:26 am 
Limited Edition

I love all forms of animation, and often find myself in the far nooks and crannies of the genre, watching little-known gems and loving them to death. ;)

Disney and PIXAR are by far my favorite "mainstream" animation studios, but I love all "western" animation in general. Warner Brothers has created a handful of good features, and their vast library of Looney Tunes are simply hilarious (behind Walt Disney, my favorite "big name" in animation is Chuck Jones).
FOX also has a few good ones here and there. I'm kinda with Luke where DreamWorks is concerned, though - they're just a bit too crass for my liking, and Katzenberg's a real dick for keeping up his on-screen grudge with Disney. :roll: Aardman's great, though - I love Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run, and I'm looking forward to The Great Vegetable Plot and Flushed Away.
Though he gets a lot of flack from his contemporaries, I like a lot of Don Bluth's films. Can't really think of one I don't like that much - maybe Anastasia. Bluth's habit of using rotoscoping for his human characters gets a little on my nerves, though. You'd think the era of rotoscoping was over... :P

I'm pretty choosy with animé - since there's soooo much of it, you really gotta watch yourself! :lol: I love Studio Ghibli with a passion - Miyazaki is a true master. I also like some tv series like Wolf's Rain or Cowboy Bebop. Other than that, though, I tend to stay away from either extreme of the spectrum - nothing too kiddie, nor too gratuitous gory and violent. o_@

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:50 am 
Collector's Edition

Disney has put out the best animation products in my eyes, but I really liked The Prince of Egypt and other Dreamworks pictures.

Another great CGI series is VeggieTales, done by Big Idea. Larry and Archibald are the best!

My DVDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:51 am 
Gold Collection

Oh, I can't believe I forgot Don Bluth! Anastasias and the rest aside, The Secret of NIMH is a good piece of work.

And Luke, if you liked Chicken Run you should definitely check out the Wallace&Gromit films. Pronto! Creature Comforts from the same team is a pretty nice experiment, too. Oscar winning stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:27 am 

There are many excellent animations too good to refuse.
Dreamworks has been doing a good job these year.
Shrek is an obviously new Classic.
Fox's Ice Age is moving too.
Creative idea is the most important thing of all.
beautiful image is not unique any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:39 am 
Limited Edition

To those who haven't seen much anime, there is a great film called Tokyo Godfathers. This is in Japanese with English subtitles only, so if that bothers you, be warned.

This is a remake of John Ford's film The Three Godfathers, and features a trio of homeless people who find a baby on Christmas Eve. There is a drunk who left his family, a teenage girl who ran away, and a drag queen.

The film is rated PG-13, as there is some violence, some derogatory remarks to the drag queen, and a bare breast (in a non-sexual scene.)

On the whole, though, this is a wonderfully heartwarming and touching film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I enjoy all kinds of animation besides Disney and Pixar. Among other animation favorites are Shrek, Ice Age, South Park, Spongebob Squarepants, Anastasia, Land Before Time, American Tail, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Fairly Oddparents, Rocko's Modern Life, and about 50 others I'm too lazy to name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:58 pm 
Special Edition

I like all types of animation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:08 pm 
Gold Collection

I like Studio Ghibli, Spirited Away is great, Madman Entertainment Australia has licenced 10 (I think, maybe less) Studio Ghibli films, so they're coming to DVD here soon! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:08 pm 
Special Edition

Mainly, it's Disney for me ... Pixar is okay, but they're secondary. And I don't think much of their films. They're fine, but ... Disney is primary. They have the films I feel fondness for. As for other animation: not a lot. There are sporadic examples here and there, of non-Disney animation that I like. For instance ...

Watership Down. Both the movie (from 1978) and the children's television show (which was a Canada/Britain co-production, as I recall). I'm not sure who made them ... but the show was nice. I have 7 episodes on DVD (divided into little "collections"). I wish they would release the whole series, but they won't. It's not known ... not enough to sell extremely well. So, I like that. The animation of the film is dark, murky ... fitting the tone. The show has a brighter look, but they both have great rural scenery.

The Garfield & Friends animated television show ... I like that. Have the first volume on DVD (though am unsure whether I really need any future volumes). That was on CBS, I know.

And I suppose I'm looking forward to Universal's Curious George. As well as The Tale of Despereaux. Maybe those will turn out. As for others ... I really don't care for anime. At all. And I don't like Nickelodeon's (sp?) offerings, or Cartoon Network's. I just don't. And Don Bluth films are decent, but ... don't do anything for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:23 pm 
Gold Collection

To me, Disney will always be number one. But I do like others on an individual basis.

The first 3 Don Bluth films: Secret of Nimh, An American Tail & The Land Before Time were all great. After that he just slipped into weird films that made no sense like"Rock a Doodle" or blatent copies of the Disney formula like "Anastasia".

Dreamworks: "Prince of Egypt" was good but they seemed to lose interest in 2-D after that. "Road to Eldorado" "Spirit" & "Sinbad" were all forgettable.
Shrek was funny, but I wonder how good it will be 20 years from now when about 90% of its humor will be outdated. Unfortunatly, it seems that Dreamworks is now going in that same direction with all its animated films which I suspect will not stand the test of time.

Warner Bros.: Looney Tunes are of course the best. However, the only great animated Feature to come out of this studio is the supeb "Iron Giant" (which gets my vote for the best non disney 2-D animated film ever)

Television: I love the Simpsons but find most other Prime time animated shows just trying to copy them and not nearly as interesting. Afternoon cartoons are another matter. Batman, The X-men, Animaniacs and the very cool Peter Pan and the Pirates (which I wish I could get on DVD) are all personal favorites of mine.

Anime: I like the Myazaki (I think I horribly butchered that name) films are great. "Castle in the Sky", "Princess Mononoke" & "Spirited Away" are the best. However my problem with most anime is that most leave a lot to be desired in the animation. some are done no better than Hanna-Barbera cartoons. (I rented one called "Record of Lodoss War", which had a great concept, great artwork and a well plotted story, but the actual animation was so horrible it ruined it. the big climactic battle between the two dragons looked like someone had just moved cardboard cutouts in front of the camera) So for me anime is a mixed bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:55 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Think than allmost all, from the prince of Egypt to Happy Tree Friends, including Saint Seiya--knights of Zodiac-- and Invader Zim