Florida

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Siren wrote:LMAO about the Noah comment, that is hilarious! And yes, I have some sort of animal magnet. Everything from wild birds and rats to iguanas and turtles.
Don't forget about the rare and elusive Jedius Knightus :P
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Florida teacher who punched student wants job back.

Post by The_Iceflash »

"A Florida teacher, who was captured on video punching an aggressive student, has said that she would like her job back at the school."

I don't know if anyone has been following this but what do you think about this whole thing?

Read: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/307645
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

He invaded her comfort zone in a agitated, unpredictable state. She was scared so she slugged him. I may have done the same if I were her.

I think she should have her job back. Not everyone can be the better person in scary situations. Interestingly, the student backed her against a door in the video (but she was backed against a wall according the article) so she had another way to get away from the guy.
Last edited by Sky Syndrome on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sky Syndrome wrote:I think she should have her job back. Not everyone can be the better person in scary situations.
Agreed. It seems everyone is focusing on the teacher's defense but the student's actions were completely uncalled for, freaking out like that because she asked him to clean off the window he licked. I wonder if he got any punishment for this or if his behavior's been excused on account of the bloody lip.

This should not cost the teacher her job.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

enigmawing wrote:
Sky Syndrome wrote:I think she should have her job back. Not everyone can be the better person in scary situations.
Agreed. It seems everyone is focusing on the teacher's defense but the student's actions were completely uncalled for, freaking out like that because she asked him to clean off the window he licked. I wonder if he got any punishment for this or if his behavior's been excused on account of the bloody lip.

This should not cost the teacher her job.
See, this is why many people aren't considering teaching as a respectable career opportunity. While it's true that there shouldn't be abusive teachers in schools, it's obvious that they are favoring the student too much in this situation, without even considering the teacher's side of the story.
ImageImageImageImage

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Is there anything Florida do that is good or sane?

Image[/img]
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Just give her her job back. It's not the teachers' fault kids today are so stupid.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I re watched the vid and it's debateable (from my view) that the student/teacher backed to the door and he did act too agressive. She deserves her job back, society is suppose to protect each other from harm no mat'ter what the situation is.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Super Aurora wrote:Is there anything Florida do that is good or sane?

Walt Disney World would like a word with you. :wink:
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I definitely don't think she should lose her job. Granted what the kid did was distasteful I am not defending his actions whatsoever. But the fact that she hit him she should have had the self control not to do so. I think if the school system had her i don't know take some anger management classes that would be called for, no matter what happens there is no excuse for violence especially hitting a student which is totally uncalled for.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Why Florida sucks

Post by Semaj »

http://www.dominionofnewyork.com/2012/0 ... f-defense/

It's not just this case eerily resembling Emmett Till, or last year's Casey Anthony trial, or even the Election of 2000, but just in the past several years, a lot of particularly stupid shit has been going on in this state.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Wish I could visit the United States.

Is Florida unsafe? What's the crime rate?
Lazario
Suspended

Re: Why Florida sucks

Post by Lazario »

Semaj wrote:Why Florida sucks
Ya know... I think about that everytime I remember that Siren lives there.

(SORRY.) (But, seriously, it must be like The Screwfly Solution down there.)
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Julian Carter wrote:Wish I could visit the United States.

Is Florida unsafe? What's the crime rate?
wasnt bad last time i was there
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

The south in general sucks (save the tourist spots) and nothing polictically or legally suprises me about the region anymore.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I've been to Florida dozens of times and I've never had a problem. There are areas where it's hard to find someone who speaks English, but that's a minor quibble...
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Usually it's Northern Florida or any of the rural areas in the central are crap.

The southern parts of Florida and the ones that are around the coasts in those regions are decent.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I've lived in Florida for almost 20 years. I wouldn't say a handful of national news cases are reason to fear or dislike the entire state. The news media spreads stories that will get ratings, simple as that.

And I support the law for self-protection. Of course you hear about Trayvon because...he was a 14 year old unarmed black child, shot by a white man. But did you hear about the two recent cases of senior citizens who's homes were being burglarized by armed men, so they shot and killed them? And because the criminals were armed and posed a deadly threat to the senior citizens they are protected by the law. But no, you didn't consider their stories because you didn't hear about them, because it was justified. What happened to Trayvon was an injustice. An abuse of the right to own a gun and the privilege to conceal and carry one.

From everything I heard here....I tend to believe Zimmerman is a man waiting for his chance to be hailed a hero. He is a repeat 911 caller. A head of neighborhood watch. He has been just chomping at the bit to "protect" the public. He didn't listen to the 911 operator when told NOT to chase the child. He chased him down, there was an altercation, the boy was "armed" with Skittles and ice tea and Zimmerman had a pistol. The child was not some very tall and built kid either. He was average to below average in size for his age. The man however was pretty big and tall. I seriously doubt this kid would have "attacked" a man twice or three times his size. I have a feeling Zimmerman caught up to Martin, probably grabbed him, Martin defended himself using all he had, his hands and feet and Zimmerman shot him and claimed "protecting myself.". Zimmerman sounds like a man who's been dying to play Batman vigilante super hero and had no business doing so.
Last edited by Siren on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Good point, Siren. And goodness knows, any state could put forth a dozen or so stories to argue they're worthy of winning "Most Screwed Up State in the Union."

I'll use any excuse to post this, though:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zoVmBsYeJMw" frameborder="0"></iframe>
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Moving to Florida .... !!!!!

Post by kbehm29 »

I had one of those eye-opening moments where I realized I had enough of the Wisconsin weather and now it's time for me to move on from the job I've held here for the past 15 years. I don't have any more family to tie me to WI, so I've made a 3 1/2 year plan to move my family of 7 to Florida. My husband and I made this decision mostly based on my love of Disney and how the quality of my life would be happier living there with an annual pass. It helps him also - he is originally from Barbados and this puts him much closer - the flights will be cheaper.
We will be leaving as soon as my second-oldest son graduates from high school here in 2016. Oldest son graduates next year, and will primarily be looking at colleges in Florida. I will be looking for a job in either social work or medical billing/records. My husband will be looking for a job at the airport.
I had to share this here because nobody else IRL understands why this is so important to me. If I can get my Disney fix anytime I want to, this leaves my actual vacation days to be left for things OTHER than Disney - we can go to Barbados twice a year like my husband wants instead of going to Disney for every vacation. People say I will get tired of it. I don't think so.
Oh, and if anybody knows of a good school district near the Orlando airport - please speak up! At that point in time, we will have a 1st grader, a 7th grader and an 8th grader (plus three in college).
:) :) :) :)

By the way - my heart truly belongs to Disneyland. I could never afford to live in California though. This is second best.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN