DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 36  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Only one bonus cartoon is for sure - WDAS has made a new short featuring Bolt ala how the Pixar DVD-exclusive shorts work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:55 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Neal wrote:
Mmh. I don't think it was a hit. And this bodes badly for Princess and the Frog to me. I mean, like with the recent Caspian controversy, Disney opened that movie adjacent a sure-fire blockbuster (Indy) and so it didn't do well to start and never found its footing. Same with BOLT. Opening it alongside Twilight was not a wise move. But rather than admit that, Disney will talk about quality issues, over-inflated budgets, not having an audience out there for this film.

Well, so, when Princess and the Frog runs into the same issues - Disney will say it was the 2D and declare their experiment in possibly returning to hand drawn was a failure and mistake.

I only hope 2009 is a stronger year economically and no massive blockbuster hinders PatF.

We need to have traditional animation at Disney along with the CGI!

This stinks! Bolt is gonna bomb at the box office big time, and it's all the fault of the morons in charge of stupid Twilight for deciding to release that stupid vampire movie the same day! They probably only did that just so they could improve the chances of the Disney studios shutting down for good! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:29 pm 
Special Edition

pap64 wrote:
The latest estimates put Bolt at 200 million worldwide, slowly but surely approaching that estimate in the US.

So, are we ready to call this a solid hit or do we need more time?

Let's not forget it only hits Europe (or at least the UK and the Netherlands, don't know about other countries) this February, so those worldwide figures should get a lot higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:42 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

At this point it's making more money than Chicken Little internationally and it's only playing in South America and some small european countries. It doesn't go wide untill february.

Bolt will out gross CL and make twice as much as Meet the Robinsons. In fact, by tomorrow, Bolt will have out grossed MTR's entire worldwide total and it isn't even playing in Germany, France, the UK or Japan.

so... all this flop talk needs to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:54 pm 
Limited Edition

BOLT really doesn't add anything to all the other 3d films out there. It looks as generic as cars, over the hedge, ice age, etc, etc. There are just too many films like that produced in the last few years.
A year ago they've lost me too. Even I as a big Disney fan can't keep track of all the crap they've made and what exactly is Disney and what not.

There is a huge audience longing for a film like "The princess and the frog". This is the Disney the world knows, loves and wants.
The golden Disney.
I'm sure if they will promote the film well, and really big as the return of the classic style, so that audiences will know that Disney hasn't completely lost it yet, this will be a smash hit.

So don't compare these 2 things please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 pm 
Platinum Edition

Even though I prefer the look of (and the making of) traditionally animated movies, I think that Bolt definitely feels like a Disney movie, just like the other DACs. It has heart and humor and great characters...

Just because the format is different doesn't mean that it's a whole different genre of film. IMO, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:44 am 
Limited Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Even though I prefer the look of (and the making of) traditionally animated movies, I think that Bolt definitely feels like a Disney movie, just like the other DACs. It has heart and humor and great characters...

Just because the format is different doesn't mean that it's a whole different genre of film. IMO, anyway.

I have to disagree. I miss heart. It's too much focussed on silly jokes and humor.
I miss beautiful moments.
Real feelings. And songs.

And again, all the characters don't have fire in their eyes. It stays distant, behind glass and without real emotions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 pm 
Limited Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:

I agree. I really enjoyed it and I think it was a great movie. It looked great and the story was good as well. I do prefer the look of (and the making of) traditionally animated movies though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:35 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Marky_198 wrote:
BOLT really doesn't add anything to all the other 3d films out there. It looks as generic as cars, over the hedge, ice age, etc, etc. There are just too many films like that produced in the last few years.
A year ago they've lost me too. Even I as a big Disney fan can't keep track of all the crap they've made and what exactly is Disney and what not.

There is a huge audience longing for a film like "The princess and the frog". This is the Disney the world knows, loves and wants.
The golden Disney.
I'm sure if they will promote the film well, and really big as the return of the classic style, so that audiences will know that Disney hasn't completely lost it yet, this will be a smash hit.

So don't compare these 2 things please.

WAIT A MINUTE!

I can see Ice Age, Over the Hedge etc. being generic looking...but CARS?

Not only was the film the most beautiful looking movie at the time it featured vivid characters and imaginations. Pixar really did a bang up job combining personalities with certain car models.

And I also agree with blackcauldron. The problem with CG films nowadays is that they all try to imitate the Shrek/Pixar formula rather than trying to do something unique. But there ARE CG films that break this mold.

CG is just a way to present a film. Remember, Disney was ALWAYS looking for ways to present stories in unique ways. His studio tried everything from limited animation to stop motion animation. The idea was that the medium would convey the heart of the story in the best way possible.

I love 2D animation as much as the next guy, but I would never let my fandom cover me from the fact that CG films can also be just as good as 2D films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Last edited by jrboy on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Not a bad cover, although I never care too much one way or another with covers, anyways.

But that quote - meh. I hate when people blur Pixar and Disney. They are two separate entities under one roof. To say "the best Disney film since The Incredibles" is like saying "the best new car since tomato" to me - Pixar is not Disney, Disney is not Pixar. Yes, Lasseter runs back and forth between the two but really - they are two different companies with different ethos and histories. Stop lumping them together as one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:19 pm 
Collector's Edition

Love the cover!! But I do agree with Neal about The Incredibles thing at the bottom. I can't wait til March 24th!!!! It's going to be a good day with Bolt on Blu-ray and Lilo & Stitch on DVD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

jrboy wrote:

Looks neat! Can't wait to get it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:52 am 
Gold Collection

I wish they would include an anaglyph 3D version of the movie, like they did with the "Hannah Montana" movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am 
Limited Edition

Neal wrote:
Not a bad cover, although I never care too much one way or another with covers, anyways.

But that quote - meh. I hate when people blur Pixar and Disney. They are two separate entities under one roof. To say "the best Disney film since The Incredibles" is like saying "the best new car since tomato" to me - Pixar is not Disney, Disney is not Pixar. Yes, Lasseter runs back and forth between the two but really - they are two different companies with different ethos and histories. Stop lumping them together as one!

While they are separate studios, they are under the same roof and I do treat them like they are under the same roof. I look at Toy Story and Wall-E for example and I see Disney and Pixar not just Pixar. I disagree with the quote as well since I do separate the canons but I don't separate them like they aren't under the same roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 am 
Limited Edition

Well, more or less I meant separate the canons as well. The Incredibles is quite simply not a 'Disney film'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 am 
Special Edition

I think by looking at the cover remark about the "Incredibles", that Disney is furthering it's attempt to blur the lines between what Disney films are and Pixar films are.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came from a Disney-owned newspaper or magazine.

In thirty years, people will be talking about the magic of Disney's Toy Story, and the Golden Age of Disney CGI, with nary a mention of Pixar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm 
Special Edition

Loves the cover!

Deluxe = 2 discer perhaps? Dear God I hope so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I would also really like a 2-disc release, i really enjoyed this film. I also like the cover art, i didn't really know what to expect and this is a pleasant surprise.

I just think The Incredibles remark is funny because both Disney and Pixar have released better films than The Incredibles before Bolt was released IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm 
Limited Edition

When does Disney usually do press releases?

I have heard the following from multiple sources: This Thursday, the 15th, Disney is going to make their press release about the "BOLT" home release and lift all media embargos.

There's going to be a 1-Disc DVD, a 2-Disc Deluxe DVD, and a Blu-ray.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 36  Next