Sleeping Beauty Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Sleeping Beauty Discussion

Post by Vlad »

That doll is beautiful. I love the colors too. And the logo looks great too.

Let's hope Disney will bring this to 4K this year. It would look beautiful.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Re: Sleeping Beauty Discusson

Post by lord-of-sith »

Mooky wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:59 am Somebody please fix the spelling of discussion in the thread title, it keeps bothering me :D
Apologies from me 20 years ago for potentially making that typo.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Just waiting patiently for the announcement of the movie to come to 4K UHD.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

DisneyJedi wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:28 pm Just waiting patiently for the announcement of the movie to come to 4K UHD.
What a stunner this will be on 4K!! This year is the 65th anniversary, so if it’s being worked on, it would be a great time to put it out.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

The question is, though, would it use the same or a similar master to the 2008/2014/2019 Blu-ray(s) or have a new master in the same sense Cinderella and Snow White did for their 4K releases?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

A new one.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I think they'll use a new one. The 2008 restoration is beautiful, though.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I am generally very pleased with the 2008 restoration, but there are shots where the grain removal scrubbed away some detail (nothing as bad as Cinderella!), and there are some color mistakes that have been addressed in this forum before (Maleficent's blue skin, the couple of shots where her eyes are white, not yellow... stuff like that), which I suspect were a restoration mistake (since every release prior didn't have these mistakes).

Disney seems to be embracing the filmic (grain) look of their films, so I suspect their 4K release will be a new transfer... but we shall have to wait and see.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

How Sleeping Beauty’s Storybook Helped Set Its Animation Apart 65 Years Ago
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney ... niversary/

Bedtime Story: The 65th Anniversary of “Sleeping Beauty”
https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/b ... ng-beauty/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Great articles, Sotiris! Thank you for finding and sharing them.

Regarding the storybook story, although I love the Sleeping Beauty storybook, I think the Snow White and Cinderella are just as beautiful and significant to the history of Walt Disney animation.

I have copies of all 3 as well as the Evil Queen’s Book of Spells from the old Disney catalogue which I treasure more than other collectibles I own that cost 5 times as much.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, great articles, thanks Sotiris!

I have the Cinderella storybook treasure box as well, carolinakid, as I actually truly feel that is the most beautifully designed one, and yes, it's also from my favorite film. I also have it as a journal. But I did buy the Sleeping Beauty storybook journal as a gift for a friend. All those jewels! It really is pretty.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Now that this thread is up, I could pretty much give my personal opinion about Sleeping Beauty! Which is essentially a good one! As a child I saw Walt`s three Princess movies chronologically and frankly, I thought Sleeping Beauty was the inferior one. I didn`t hate the film, but I was somewhat repulsed by it`s flaws: That it was too dark, a little tedious, how Aurora is basically just a prop in her own story and how the Prince is the one who saves the day.
However, when I received the movie on VHS at the age of twelve, I started to appreciate it more. In my early teens I also liked it. But it was when I bought the Platinum Edition in my early twenties that I truly fell in love with it. Which is why it`s among my top list of Walt`s Princess movies, alongside with Snow White. I truly love the animation, the music, the designs and Maleficent, who`s essentially a great villain. Sure, Sleeping Beauty is a product of it`s time and it`s somewhat pretentious and stiff, but it`s still a marvelous film and deserves to be recognized as one of Walt`s best.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sleeping Beauty's probably my second favorite of the Walt princess films. I love Merryweather, Maleficent, Fauna and the animation is very beautiful. Still, the film has a sort of cold quality at times, both in its look and its story / characters. Cinderella isn't quite as pretty as it is (as far as animation goes--it comes close to rotoscope at times--Mary Blair's design on the other hand is quite superior, imo), but it has the most heart by far of the three and Cinderella is the only heroine that has some bite to her. And Lady Tremaine is just as good as Maleficent, too (better for me, personally).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New artwork at the Royal Banquet restaurant at Disneyland Hotel in Disneyland Paris.

Source: https://twitter.com/InsideDlpCastle/sta ... 6307115501
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Beautiful!

Queen Leah appears so rarely in Sleeping Beauty references that it’s very refreshing to see her.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

^ I thought the same thing about Kida's mother in the Atlantis picture (her design is really pretty).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Aurora is the prettiest princess. I liked her most growing up cuz she looked just like a Barbie.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Or Barbie looked like Aurora. I know they both debuted in 1959, but since SB premiered in January I would assume Aurora came first....I’m just being silly.... 1959 ponytail Barbie looks nothing like Aurora.

Aurora IS beautiful! I love her!
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

I never realized Barbie and SLeeping beauty both came out at the same time. 60s Barbie definitely doesn't look like Aurora but Aurora is a trailblazer in her own way. Her and Phillip make the most classic fairy tale couple as well. Perfect blend of masculine and feminine.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:39 pm Sleeping Beauty's probably my second favorite of the Walt princess films. I love Merryweather, Maleficent, Fauna and the animation is very beautiful. Still, the film has a sort of cold quality at times, both in its look and its story / characters. Cinderella isn't quite as pretty as it is (as far as animation goes--it comes close to rotoscope at times--Mary Blair's design on the other hand is quite superior, imo), but it has the most heart by far of the three and Cinderella is the only heroine that has some bite to her. And Lady Tremaine is just as good as Maleficent, too (better for me, personally).
Oh, I LOVE what you said! Sleeping Beauty is my second favorite as well, and though I feel Eyvind Earl's design is superior to Mary Blair's, we mostly agree! Sleeping Beauty has the superior animation, but Cinderella still has my favorite design, and my favorite main character, and she does have bite! I feel Maleficent trumps Tremaine because she has magic and tries to kill people, but, it's close.