The Three Caballeros Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Two words Sequel - disc rot.

And I still need to find me a Joe Carioca plush.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Ze (Jose) Carioca has been a very popular comic character in Latin America, right? I wonder if they'd have plushies of him down there at all. . . aw, I want one too!!! :wink:
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

enigma - I have searched Ebay a lot but no luck lots of figuries and pins. No plushes.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Mr. Toad wrote:Two words Sequel - disc rot.
As for "rot": First of all, I wouldn't really expect any sort of disc to last forever. But the laserdiscs that were bad should be expected to have "rotted" by now. I don't worry particularly about LDs that are still good now after all these years.
Douglas Fir

Post by Douglas Fir »

I second the notion that they need to maybe do a Walt Disney Treasures set of the Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos using the laserdisc extras. Maybe also a Treasures set with uncut versions of Melody Time and Make Mine Music! :D
Major Fatal Moebius
Limited Issue

The three Caballeros appreciation thread!

Post by Major Fatal Moebius »

Start appreciating, damnit! :wink:

This one has always been one of my favorites, and disney's bests. I love everything about it, it's just such an enjoyable trip. So imaginative. Such cool characters. Donald at his best. :)

It'd easily belong in my top 10 disney films ever, but that wouldn't be hard, cause there's only a few disney films i really enjoy: Pinnochio, fantasia, alice in wonderland, robin hood, sword in the stone, jungle book, peter pan, bambi, snow white, dumbo...yeah, that's it.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

I appreciate! :)

TTC was made at a time when Disney was forced to "cheapen out" and just couldn't make another Pinocchio or Fantasia. The result was a golden age of imagination through somewhat simpler means, although special effects are still plentiful. There's also a feverish quality - could have something to do with the war - any day could be your last one...
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I've actually never seen the entire thing :oops: I started watching it but I started losing intrest (much like with Fantasia) and switched to something else, but from what I saw it's alright, I like the characters Jose and the Red bird guy....lol I can't remember his name, I liked the song The Three Caballeros I'll have to go and watch it again, and *hopefully* manage to sit through the entire thing.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

While I'm all for the appreciation of such a wonderful animated film, I'm sure myself and many others would also appreciate a wonderful option called Search, which leads to this wonderful three-page thread...

The Three Caballeros Discussion.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Lol maybe we should make the Search Button larger and harder to miss/ignore
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Escapay wrote:While I'm all for the appreciation of such a wonderful animated film, I'm sure myself and many others would also appreciate a wonderful option called Search
The trouble is, Escapay, that the Search function is very complex. Now, if only someone could write a guide on how to use it...
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Ktrek
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ktrek »

MK Sharp wrote:
The trouble is, Escapay, that the Search function is very complex. Now, if only someone could write a guide on how to use it...
Escapay has already written a guide on how to use the search function and it can be found as the second thread in this General Discussion area as a sticky. Here is the link:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=17858

My problem with the search function is that everytime I use it I get about 15 pages of hits and to tell you the truth I'm just not going to scroll through more than 3 to 5 pages. If I don't find a relevant hit within that time I am going to start a new thread and I am sure many users feel the same way. I think it is best, for the most part, to just go along with a new thread anyway, rather than get upset because someone can't locate an older thread. I see no sense in allowing a lot of frustration and aggravation over something so minor. Since this site gets a lot of new members it's only to be expected that repeat discussions will happen. After all how many here are original members or even been a member longer than a year? 10% maybe? The only way that the problem might be reduced is to improve the frequently asked questions page to include many more of the commonly asked topics. Sorry for getting off topic.

Kevin
Caballero Girl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Caballero Girl »

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I like the characters Jose and the Red bird guy....lol I can't remember his name,
His name is Panchito.

As you could probably decipher from my username and signature, my appreciation for the Three Caballeros needs no questioning. I love that movie, one of Disney's most brilliant and beautiful, and undoubtedly their trippiest. The first time I saw it, I'll admit to being slightly perplexed, particularly by that incredibly bizarre ending sequence in which Donald leaps from one strange hallucination to another, but upon future viewings, knowing exactly what to expect, my affections for the film have grown and grown, and it would easily find a place in my Disney Top 10, maybe even Top 5. Jose, Panchito and the Aracuan Bird have risen to being among my favourite Disney characters of all-time. Donald Duck has always been my favourite.

(PS: I'm sure MK Sharp was just kidding about that article...)
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

My sister LOVES Donald Duck! This is also one of her all-time favorite Disney movies, period!
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Yeah - and the sad part is that we could just as well stop discussing altogether on this forum now, since I'm afraid most things of importance have been discussed at length already - and can be found in the "archives" by that nifty "search" function...
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I've actually never seen the entire thing :oops: I started watching it but I started losing intrest (much like with Fantasia) and switched to something else, but from what I saw it's alright, I like the characters Jose and the Red bird guy....lol I can't remember his name, I liked the song The Three Caballeros I'll have to go and watch it again, and *hopefully* manage to sit through the entire thing.
Well, both Fantasia and TTC got me somewhat confused when I got to watch them for the first time some 13-14 years ago. I'm sure the reason was that I never expected a "movie" without a "story". However, my appreciation has grown, to say the least, and both titles are probably among my favourites now.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DDMAN26 wrote:It's a enjoyable little movie. I usually watch it if I'm doing something else like laundry.
That's a great way to get my package films watched! I like the package films, but I tend not to watch them much.
Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:Plus that Aracuan Bird was hilarious! :lol:
Yes- he cracks me up, too!
feedmelinguini wrote:The most tragic thing about the Gold Collection rerelease is that it contains virtually none of the wonderful extras originally found on the Exclusive Archive Collection laserdisc for this film and Saludos Amigos.
Maybe if the films are released on Blu-ray, Disney will add those bonus features? (Or maybe on DVD, too...?!?)

More package film trivia that I've found:

http://www.tcmuk.tv/movie_database_resu ... e&id=93058
The working titles of this film were Surprise Package, Latin for a Day, Latino por un dia, and Let's Go Latin.
Two of the shorts, "The Flying Gauchito" (or "The Remarkable Donkey") and "The Cold-Blooded Penguin" (or "Pablo Penguin"), were produced simultaneously with Saludos Amigos. "The Flying Gauchito" was based on material that studio artists had gathered in South America during their 1941 trip. After its completion, Disney had planned to release it as part of a series of short cartoons about gauchos, but none of the other shorts were completed.
In August 1942, Hollywood Reporter announced that producer Walt Disney was planning to make a film on Mexico, although the news item did not specify whether the film would be a feature or a short, or consist solely of animation. A group of studio artists visited Mexico from late 1942 through early 1943, auditioning Mexican performers and making sketches and paintings to be used as reference material. On July 14, 1943, Hollywood Reporter noted that production supervisor Norman Ferguson was leading studio artists on another tour of Mexico City to gather Mexican reference materials, which were eventually used for The Three Caballeros. In addition, at the request of the U.S. government, the studio produced a series of non-theatrical shorts, for distribution in Mexico and South America, demonstrating how to combat illiteracy, malnutrition and various diseases. According to an February 18, 1945 Los Angeles Times article, Disney had also intended to produce a third "Latin-American film," entitled Cuban Carnival, but that picture was not produced.
According to a June 7, 1945 Hollywood Reporter news item, the picture was "doing the biggest business of any feature ever released in the Latin American market" and would gross "in excess of $700,000 in that territory or double the gross" of the Disney Studio's 1938 feature Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Sotiris

The Three Caballeros Ride Again

Post by Sotiris »

The comic book sequel by Don Rosa "The Three Caballeros Ride Again" is getting re-released on June 12, 2018 by Fantagraphics Books, possibly to coincide with the Blu-ray release of the original.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Uncl ... 683961021/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Re: The Three Caballeros Discussion

Post by Sotiris »

Celebrate 75 Years of The Three Caballeros with These Totally Retro Promotional Stills
https://d23.com/three-caballeros-promotional-stills/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Re: The Three Caballeros Discussion

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Poor thread only gets love once a decade!

A few months ago, maybe a year now?, I read "South of the Border with Disney" & watched Walt + El Grupo, Saludos Amigos, & The Three Caballeros all within a few days, and it was a really enjoyable way to enjoy all that content, all together.