Peter Pan (2003)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Peter Pan (2003)

Post by Disneykid »

Anyone else hear about this film? It's due out this Christmas and it looks simply amazing. The trailer for it is currently playing before "The Hulk" and is available online at www.peterpanmovie.net. Tell me what you think! I think it looks amazing! :D
Last edited by Disneykid on Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

it was a venture columbia, universal and disney. but disney backed out so is now Columbia and universal thing. so we'll see how it turns out!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I know; I heard about that. Disney's really stupid for first letting Lord of the Rings slip through their fingers, now this. Walden Media is making a film series out of the Chronicles of Narnia, the first of which (The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe) is due early 2005. Since Holes was made by Walden Media and released by Disney, let's hope Disney gets the rights to release Narnia as they're currently the only major film studio without a successful movie series. WB has Harry Potter, New Line has Lord of the Rings, Columbia has the Spider-man series, 20th Century Fox has the X-Men series, Universal is planning to make a film series out of The Hulk, and Disney's left with nothing, but The Chronicles of Narnia is the perfect film series for them as it's suitable for all ages and is regarded as a classic.

Ahem-Going back to Peter Pan, I love how this version seems more in tune with the original novel than any other version out there. This film has the potential to be not only the definitive Pan movie, but one of the greatest fantasy films ever created. All we need now is a similarly big-budget theatrical adaptaion of Alice in Wonderland, and then I'll be *REALLY* happy. :D
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

this will be a remake cause there's already movies for that series
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Actually:

1. The films you're referring to were a BBC mini series. The Walden Series will be the first time Narnia has gone theatrical.

2. The BBC series didn't do all 7 books; they only did 4 of them, two of which were combined together. From what I understand, if The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is successful (which I'm sure it will be), Walden plans on doing all 7 books.

3. Remake makes it sound like the Walden movies are trying to re-do the BBC series when it's just adapting the same book series.

So...yeah. :D :wink:
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

Disneykid wrote:I know; I heard about that. Disney's really stupid for first letting Lord of the Rings slip through their fingers, now this. Walden Media is making a film series out of the Chronicles of Narnia, the first of which (The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe) is due early 2005. Since Holes was made by Walden Media and released by Disney, let's hope Disney gets the rights to release Narnia as they're currently the only major film studio without a successful movie series. WB has Harry Potter, New Line has Lord of the Rings, Columbia has the Spider-man series, 20th Century Fox has the X-Men series, Universal is planning to make a film series out of The Hulk, and Disney's left with nothing, but The Chronicles of Narnia is the perfect film series for them as it's suitable for all ages and is regarded as a classic.

Ahem-Going back to Peter Pan, I love how this version seems more in tune with the original novel than any other version out there. This film has the potential to be not only the definitive Pan movie, but one of the greatest fantasy films ever created. All we need now is a similarly big-budget theatrical adaptaion of Alice in Wonderland, and then I'll be *REALLY* happy. :D
disney does have a series air bud :lol:
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Warner Bros technically has TWO big series - Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, since New Line is simply a "sub-studio" of WB.

Wanna know another depressing "if only" from Disney? Read this Eye Drive article from Jim Hill (the column he wrote for before starting his own site). It details how Disney passed up the rights to Dinotopia. 'Nuff said. :D
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

I just saw a trailer on E!'s Coming Attractions for the live-action Peter Pan coming to theaters Christmas Day from Universal. It does look interesting, but I can't help but compare it with Hook, which is in my opinion the most "magical" non-Disney film ever made. I know Hook [Tri-Star] was a sequel to the fairy tale, but the characters were acted out very well. For one thing, Captain Hook looked short. Maybe it was just me, and he didn't seem that scary, just angry. But the other character's seemed all right,though the preview was short and showed characters very briefly. Also, One HUGE Thing Wrong: Hook's Hook (which looked misshapen and not at all realistic like the one on Dustin Hoffman's arm) was on the RIGHT hand, which is of course the WRONG one.
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

All right all right, now that I've devoted my full attention to the trailer by clicking on the link, it does look rather good. But Hook's hook traits still bother me. The girl who plays Wendy looks very pretty. I bet she'll be a teen heart throb in a few years.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

Sorry for yet another post, but I realized by reading more about it that the actor who plays Captain Hook played the villain in The Patriot and Lucious Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, which I guess makes up for part of the annoyance with the hook dilemma. All right. It's won me over. I agree with all of you. Disney should have shared this and it does look extraordinary. I'm there! :D
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

CRAAAAAAP!!! All right, last post on this thread tonight, I swear. I just thought I'd be picky (maybe cause I'm tired) and point out that their website claims it to be the first live-action feature film of Peter Pan when in fact there was a '20s version. There. I've stated my complaints (I'm not usually such a complaining person) and I look very much forward to this film. Can't Wait!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

1. Do you know there's a nifty little feature called the EDIT button? It's quite handy. ;)

2. The filmmakers put Hook's hook on his right hand on purpose. From what I heard, Peter makes a wisecrack about that in one scene. To be honest, I like his hook. Virtually every hook I've seen in Peter Pan films and pictures have been curved like the Disney one. The polygon shape makes it unique.

3. Jason Iscaacs is his name, and he's awesome! :D

4. You're right. This is (I believe) the 2nd theatrical film version of Peter Pan after the 20's one which is on the French Peter Pan 2-disc. All the other versions are either animated, made-for-television, or are filmed versions of the musical.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

From all my mistakes on the forum, there is a plus side. An increased Post Count. :lol:
Captain Hook
Special Edition

New Peter Pan Movie

Post by Captain Hook »

Has anybody seen the new Peter Pan movie? It looks surprisingly good, and I'm REALLY mad at Disney for pulling out their support. Anyway, I'm just wondering what your opinions are. My friend got me the movie poster for my birthday today.

Hook
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

I want to see it, but am kinda shocked Disney backed out. I'm wondering if it would be any good now. Need some more opinions.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

I've seen the trailer and it looks really great indeed!
StewMc

Post by StewMc »

poco wrote:I want to see it, but am kinda shocked Disney backed out. I'm wondering if it would be any good now. Need some more opinions.
I don't think Disney pulling out a few weeks before the film's release is going to affect the quality of the film. :?
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

I think it looks amazing! Very fantasy-like, which I absolutely love. After seeing the trailer for this yesterday it brings the total number of movies that I want to see that come out Christmas day to FOUR (the other three being Cold Mountain, Cheaper by the Dozen and Paycheck).
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

This has become my most anticipated movie of the year. I love the trailers for this film and the clips I've seen online from it are very encouraging. To me this looks even better than the Disney animated film as it's more in tune with the novel and seems to be more magical and heartfelt. I intend to see this the weekend after Christmas, and the wait is killing me. Ah, well. Return of the King will sustain me till then. :D
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I don't have much of an interest in seeing it. IMO, Disney's Peter Pan is the best it can get, and Hook was enjoyable too. There's nothing in the new one that catches my eye as worth paying 8 bucks to see.