Moana 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Moana 2

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

PatrickvD wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:28 pm The amount of damage control going on at Disney right now is truly on another level.
"Damage control"? If only more people went to see non-sequels like Strange World and Wish.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

We truly live in unprecedented times. Moana 2 followed by a live-action remake of Moana not even a full year later.

:brick:
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

robster16 wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:16 pm I could NOT be more disappointed and bored!
Disappointed and bored about what?
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Hardbackyoyo wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:41 pm
robster16 wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:16 pm I could NOT be more disappointed and bored!
Disappointed and bored about what?
I wasn't THAT big a fan of Moana to begin with and a sequel doesn't really attract my attention much. I had high hopes of seeing something come out of those Bluebeard rumors with a possibility of hand drawn animation... The prospect of having 4 years of sequels in the pipeline with Moana 2, Zootopia 2 and Frozen 3 and possibly 4 is just not creatively interesting... at all! Especially not considering that they are doing a live action remake of the original Moana, coming out soon. It just reeks of a total lack of vision...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Iโ€™m actually really surprised by this because I assumed they were only making live action remakes of animated films that were no longer in consideration for theatrical sequels.

But also Moana seems to be a hugely popular franchise for Disney. I watched the movie for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm Turning a likely 5-6 episode 18-20-minute per episodes series into a sequel is a smart way to get people in theaters.
If thatโ€™s what happening here, which I guess it is because of the quick turnaround, itโ€™s a really bad idea. Itโ€™s really reminiscent of the cheapquel era. Oof.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

C'mon, handdrawn in 2024? They barely had the resources to a short film and the film that tried to match that aesthetic was a disappointment. That was just you setting yourself up for disappointment
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

robster16 wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:47 pmThe prospect of having 4 years of sequels in the pipeline with Moana 2, Zootopia 2 and Frozen 3 and possibly 4 is just not creatively interesting... at all! Especially not considering that they are doing a live action remake of the original Moana, coming out soon. It just reeks of a total lack of vision...
Well, more people should have gone to see their original animated IPs like Strange World and Wish, then.
UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:49 pmIf thatโ€™s what happening here, which I guess it is because of the quick turnaround, itโ€™s a really bad idea. Itโ€™s really reminiscent of the cheapquel era. Oof.
The animation from the teaser certainly doesn't LOOK cheap.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Come to think of it, a similar situation to this happened with Toy Story 2.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Maybe itโ€™s time for me to watch Moana 1....It didnโ€™t look interesting to me and I think LMM is completely overrated, but with Moana 2 coming in November, maybe itโ€™s time....

I might watch it while my boyfriend is watching the Super Bowl...
Last edited by carolinakid on Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

With their original movies flopping, it makes sense for them to make more sequels, but I hope we don't get sequels for 3 year straight.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hardbackyoyo wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:12 pm Come to think of it, a similar situation to this happened with Toy Story 2.
That was a very different situation. Toy Story 2 was not a collection of episodes from a scrapped TV series.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

The only thing I'll say is...I'm scared :huh:

The fact that this was supposed to be the Moana sequel series on Disney+ and is suddenly now going to be a feature length movie just for Disney to "course correct" is so concerning since the story might have such a downgrade. It's Megamind 2 all over again. :lol: :(
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

The synopsis is giving Frozen 2 vibes :huh:
Walt Disney Animation Studios' epic animated musical "Moana 2" takes audiences on an expansive new voyage with Moana, Maui and a brand-new crew of unlikely seafarers. After receiving an unexpected call from her wayfinding ancestors, Moana must journey to the far seas of Oceania and into dangerous, long-lost waters for an adventure unlike anything she's ever faced. Directed by Dave Derrick Jr. with music by Grammyยฎ winners Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear, Grammy nominee Opetaia Foa'i, and three-time Grammy winner Mark Mancina, "Moana 2" opens in theaters on Nov. 27, 2024.
via Youtube description
Im really curious how they can continue her character arc, since the first one pretty much Covers it all. But I "try" to stay optimisitc๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ that announcement came out of nowhere! I prefer theatrical sequels over series anyway (even though its from the same studio) so its a win for me. Im also a bit concerned that it seems like a last Minute decision to reconstruct the medium, but again, happy its theatrical. :up:
Last edited by The Disneynerd on Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:24 pm The only thing I'll say is...I'm scared :huh:

The fact that this was supposed to be the Moana sequel series on Disney+ and is suddenly now going to be a feature length movie just for Disney to "course correct" is so concerning since the story might have such a downgrade. It's Megamind 2 all over again. :lol: :(
You don't know if the story will good until you've actually seen the movie.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

Let's hope there is a traditional villain in this movie, that's the only motivation for me to watch this.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Looks like Lin Manuel Miranda isnโ€™t returning?

Awkward.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:49 pmIf thatโ€™s what's happening here, which I guess it is because of the quick turnaround, itโ€™s a really bad idea. Itโ€™s really reminiscent of the cheapquel era. Oof.
It is what's happening here. Bob Iger confirmed it himself. It also explains why the sequel and the series share the same director and why LMM is not involved.
Bob Iger wrote:And weโ€™re announcing today that weโ€™re actually turning what was a Moana TV series into a Moana feature that will come out in November.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/07/cnbc-ex ... oday-.html
Bob Iger wrote:This was originally developed as a series, but we were impressed with what we saw and we knew it deserved a theatrical release.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/07/disney- ... iving.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thank you, Sotiris, for the official confirmation.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

This being produced at the Vancouver studio means it has a significantly smaller budget than the average WDAS film. Disney is going to make bank on it. I bet Iger was seeing dollar signs when he found out about that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:20 pm This being produced at the Vancouver studio means it has a significantly smaller budget than the average WDAS film. Disney is going to make bank on it. I bet Iger was seeing dollar signs when he found out about that.
So this is the first Disney movie to be outsourced to another country?