An American Tail

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

STASHONE wrote:Theyre not fullscreen, they're open matte like all other Bluth films on DVD.

Skim through the f.a.q. archives on Bluth's site, I posted about this prior to it's release and it was answered in detail.
Wow!?! Really? I always thought that they were just screwing his films over by releasing them fullscreen. Open matte is okay, I'll have to visit his site. Thanks for the info!
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

STASHONE wrote:Theyre not fullscreen, they're open matte like all other Bluth films on DVD.

Skim through the f.a.q. archives on Bluth's site, I posted about this prior to it's release and it was answered in detail.

According to the Nimh DVD it says it has been formatted to fit my screen and the R2 DVD of this movie was released in 2.35:1 WS. the booklet in the DVD also shows the 2.35:1 snap frames of the movie. unless it was shot in super 35. Opening the matte will still lose a small % of picture on the sides :)

Here's a pic of James Cameron's T2 he likes super 35 for some odd reason

The film is first shot with the original theatrical aspect ratio 2.35:1 in mind. After that, Mr. Cameron transfers the whole movie from the original Super-35 film to a high-resolution digital format. From that it is fairly easy to extract the theatrical widescreen version, as well as a special pan & scan version. Let's have a look at an original Super 35-frame:

The red square indicates the widescreen area, which is naturally the same all the time, and which was visible to the cameraman. The blue pan & scan area, however, can move in any direction and can change in size, too. This means that while in the example the pan & scan version offers more vertical information and loses little horizontal information, that is not always the case. Sometimes Cameron zooms in the picture to better highlight the point he is wanting to make.

Mr. Cameron takes the time to do the pan & scan version himself. He has even said that for home video purposes he prefers his p & s version of Abyss over the WS one. However, if one wants to see a movie like it was shown at the movies, the widescreen version is the way to go.

Although J. Cameron has taken much time to make the pan & scan version as perfect as possible, there still are some defects present. For instance, in T2, when T-800 and John are going to the telephone booth, you can clearly see in the p & s version that the telephone has been broken all the time and that T-800 only breaks some sort of plastic cover that stops the money from falling to the ground. Also it must be noted, that all special effects were shot with an aspect ratio of 2.1:1, and those must naturally be severly panned & scanned.

this has been copied from http://www.Digieffects.com

This will also apply to the LOTR movies they were shot in super 35