Hocus Pocus on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Hocus Pocus on Broadway

Post by D82 »

On an upcoming episode of Broadway Podcast Network's The Art of Kindness podcast — shared exclusively with PEOPLE ahead of its Thursday release — Hocus Pocus film producer David Kirschner reveals that a stage adaptation of the cult classic is officially underway.

"This started before COVID, but now it seems to be back on — and that is that they are building a Broadway version of Hocus Pocus," says Kirschner, who created and produced the 1993 Halloween film and also serves as a producer on its upcoming sequel.

He tells podcast host Robert Peterpaul, "I just want to pinch myself, and I'm just afraid that I'm going to be 9 years old and on a little league field again… But it's just so wonderful just to stand back and watch all of this."

"It's not just me. It's so many people that brought Hocus Pocus [to life] — from [director] Kenny Ortega and Mick Garris' script and John Debney's score and Bill Sandell's production design, and now a whole new generation are working on it," Kirschner, 67, says.

Though no theater, cast, creative team nor timeline for a Broadway production of Hocus Pocus have been officially announced, Kirschner tells Peterpaul, "I think you're going to be very pleased."
Source: https://people.com/theater/hocus-pocus- ... kirschner/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Hocus Pocus on Broadway

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This seems like a great idea in theory, much like The Nightmare Before Christmas, but just like with the talk about a show for that film, I wonder how it would even work in the non-October months? :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Very good point, Divinity.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

It would likely be a seasonal show they bring in during the autumn months, much like they often re-mount Elf or A Christmas Carol during the winter months.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I don't know if it would HAVE to be seasonal, creepy Halloweeny shows happen year round all the time.

I'm mixed on this news in general.

On one hand I'm excited, and I think the basic premise of this story would work really well on the stage. It's campiness and humor feels right for a fun romp on the stage. Then talk about the star machine of who would play The Sanderson Sisters? It would certainly be a benchmark in those people's careers. Also the spectacle of having the sisters flying across the room? Overall, I'd also guess that the Venn Diagram that makes up the Hocus Pocus fandom and Theatre Nerd is nearly a full circle.

On the other hand, I don't doubt that it would receive a bunch of unnecessary re-writes that make it nearly unrecognizable to the film. That plays out well sometimes, but especially due to how old the film is I doubt the charm of the original will stay intact. Not to say it wont be charming on it's own, but much like the sequel, I don't think fans of the original will really love it. I'm also willing to bet that because of "I Put a Spell On You" this will be yet another jukebox musical. It's not damned to be one (looking at Beetlejuice, with is famous "Day O!" scene in the movie then making it into the musical) but I'd say chances are really high.

Overall, if we're going to compare it to something, I would look at shows like Beetlejuice to weigh expectations. I would just hope it translates more like how Young Frankenstein came to Broadway.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Omg the flying would be awesome to see! Good idea that it could be like Beetlejuice and Young Frankenstein, singerguy04.