Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Lightyear

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pmGalyn Susman is the woman who saved Toy Story 2 from complete deletion and it's a question if Pixar would even exist today had she not had a copy of TS2 saved on her home computer.
That's not completely accurate. The version of Toy Story 2 she did save ended up getting scrapped entirely. It's not the film we have today.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Disney Animation. Strange World did worse than Lightyear.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm all in favor of giving Don Hall the boot.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think Don Hall should be booted since he's been involved in other ways on films that were successful (Encanto, Frozen II). He just probably shouldn't be director again... The only ones he directed that had much success were Big Hero 6 and Moana. I personally think Raya was screwed regardless happening a few months after the start of the pandemic, but it probably would've had more recurrent value if it had been a musical since we know that's what helped lift Encanto.

IDK, there are things about Strange World that make me question what the company was expecting or intending with that one. Still, I think an original flopping isn't the same level as Lightyear having had the Toy Story brand to lean on to a degree and still doing that bad. Although it does make me wonder if perhaps TS5 will do much worse than they expect--Lightyear as a spinoff did follow TS4, which was the weakest in that series. I mean, I don't expect TS5 to do anywhere in the same area as Lightyear--Lightyear was a uniquely boring concept, at least imo--just Lightyear came while that property is already on a downswing. Maybe if a spinoff had happened after 2 or 3 instead, it might've performed a little better perhaps?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:15 amHe just probably shouldn't be director again... The only ones he directed that had much success were Big Hero 6 and Moana.
He didn't direct Moana. He was a co-director on it which is Disney-speak for an assistant director. Assistant directors help the directors in overseeing the day-to-day operations, but they don't have any creative input.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:17 pm
Mooky wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pmGalyn Susman is the woman who saved Toy Story 2 from complete deletion and it's a question if Pixar would even exist today had she not had a copy of TS2 saved on her home computer.
That's not completely accurate. The version of Toy Story 2 she did save ended up getting scrapped entirely. It's not the film we have today.
Any more details on that? Because any time I read about the situation no one mentions it being a different version. Was the copy she had saved the DTV version of TS2 that was originally planned before the movie got retooled as a theatrical release?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 amAny more details on that? Because any time I read about the situation no one mentions it being a different version. Was the copy she had saved the DTV version of TS2 that was originally planned before the movie got retooled as a theatrical release?
Yes, the saved version was from the time the video game crew was working on it and from before Lasseter came back as the director. Lasseter became unhappy with how the film was turning out and so he took over and brought back the original's creative team to redevelop the story. He had the previous version completely scrapped.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I too was always confused about the timeline of it being saved. I still dont see any sources on all this.

Being rescued means a whole lot less if it was from a version we never were going to see anyway.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:09 pmI still dont see any sources on all this.
How Pixar’s Toy Story 2 was deleted twice, once by technology and again for its own good
https://thenextweb.com/news/how-pixars- ... s-own-good
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

so I'm into Pixar and all that but I have to admit that Lightyear takes the cake for worst Pixar movie ever. I mean I thought soul was pretty bad but this one was horrible in every way. it gave me some much needed TLC to see the toys for this film all on discount or in bargain bins cuz nobody wanted to buy anything to do with it.

shame on Disney for ruining Buzz Lightyear. Especially when that 90s show was right there