Kingdom Hearts (Animated Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Kingdom Hearts (Animated Series)

Post by Sotiris »

A bunch of Twitter insiders are reporting that a Kingdom Hearts series is in the works for Disney+.
Grace Randolph wrote:Talking to a source regarding the projects Disney is developing:

—Atlantis movie
—Kingdom Hearts for Disney Plus

and they pointed out there are so many because of the pandemic! Screenwriters still able to work at home + wants to announce big projects to help image for stock market!
Source: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/statu ... 3434798080
Q: Will Kingdom Hearts be a series or movie for Disney Plus?

Grace Randolph: I believe series.
Source: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/statu ... 1815366656
Jeremy Conrad wrote:Yes, it's true.
Source: https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1265296425652383747
Skyler Shuler wrote:Been tagged in Jeremy's post (which is true), so here’s what I know:

—Kingdom Hearts will be a Disney+ series, not a movie.
—It’s animated (CG)
—Disney VO actors are expected to reprise their roles (Jim Cummings, Bill Farmer, Tony Anselmo)
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 9537909760
Emre Kaya wrote:There is a Kingdom Hearts series in the works at Disney+. Disney originally wanted to make it but that didn't work out, so Square Enix was asked to create a pilot using Unreal Engine. This series is most likely not live-action, but CG animated. They're currently casting.
Source: https://twitter.com/Vullein/status/1265356109340127238
Emre Kaya wrote:Disney originally wanted to make this show themselves (live-action?). When they realized that wouldn't work, they had Square Enix make a CG animated pilot. Disney+ presumably liked it, as we're getting a full series now!
Source: https://twitter.com/Vullein/status/1265386726501093379
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Kingdom Hearts (Animated Series)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, I’m glad SE is the one making it and not Disney. I mean, they were so restrictive with KH3 that they would somehow find a way to retroactively screw up KH1. I miss when the Disney characters were more involved with the plot...
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

I hope The Seven Princesses of Heart return for the show!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Tbh I was never a gamer, but this could certainly pique my interest!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, I’m glad SE is the one making it and not Disney. I mean, they were so restrictive with KH3 that they would somehow find a way to retroactively screw up KH1. I miss when the Disney characters were more involved with the plot...
What exactly was wrong with KH3? I personally loved it. :?
Disney's Divinity

I enjoyed KH3, too, for what it was. It was definitely a beautiful game and I loved how massive the worlds were. I just miss when the Disney villains and other characters (the princesses of heart, Beast, Merlin, etc.) had involvement in the main plot of the game. Maleficent just kind of lurked in the background doing nothing of consequence. Mickey at least was a Keyblade Master. Probably the highlight Disney character moment was Donald casting Zettaflare. :!:
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

There are not too many original animated series projects for Disney+ (that is, compared to the live-action ones). If there’s one more, that’s nice. If it’s Kingdom Hearts related, it’s even better! :D
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Kinda OT but Kingdom Hearts and Disney fans should definitely check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PicTiKExo
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

I really hope that all the rumors that say that Angelina Jolie will reprise her role as Maleficent and Will Smith as Genie, are true!!!

:up: :up:
Disney's Divinity

I really hope that isn’t the case. I assumed this was just a TV series adaptation of the games. The games included the original films, not the remakes… Much as I like Jolie as Maleficent and Will Smith as Genie in the live-action remakes (I don’t consider Maleficent a remake exactly, but an alternate version of the story like Wicked is to TWoO), I really wouldn’t want this mixing between the original characters and the live-action offshoots….
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I really hope that isn’t the case. I assumed this was just a TV series adaptation of the games. The games included the original films, not the remakes…
I'm in the same boat here. To the extent possible, I hope they'll get the same voice cast as the games.. Part of the charm of the KH games is that they gather characters and universes of Disney Classics taken from different eras of Disney history (from Snow White/first Mickey's shorts, to Big Hero 6), and found a way to connect them within a Final Fantasy context (sort of.) Imo, this charm is guaranteed to be at least partly lost if we assimilate characters with the remakes made during the past 10 years. Hope they'll preverse the authenticity of the originals :up:
Disney's Divinity

Clindor wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I really hope that isn’t the case. I assumed this was just a TV series adaptation of the games. The games included the original films, not the remakes…
I'm in the same boat here. To the extent possible, I hope they'll get the same voice cast as the games.. Part of the charm of the KH games is that they gather characters and universes of Disney Classics taken from different eras of Disney history (from Snow White/first Mickey's shorts, to Big Hero 6), and found a way to connect them within a Final Fantasy context (sort of.) Imo, this charm is guaranteed to be at least partly lost if we assimilate characters with the remakes made during the past 10 years. Hope they'll preverse the authenticity of the originals :up:
Yeah, the Disney-FF crossover aspect is definitely the reason the series was so wonderful to me when the first game released all those years ago. Of course, I almost wonder if Square Enix might excise the Final Fantasy characters from the story in this adaptation of the story, considering they've unfortunately pushed those characters out of the series post-KH2 and I have no idea why. :( The series isn't quite the same without them. I love both Disney and Final Fantasy, so...
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

No I couldn't stand to see those princesses lose their hearts again and why bother when the game story isn't finished. Excuss me while what while I try to keep whatever blood I have left from boiling away.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: You think the new Disney Studios lead could bet on videogames adaptations like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy or Fortnite after the success of Super Mario Bros, The Last Of Us, Twisted Metal, Uncharted, Free Guy, Sonic, etc??

Skyler Shuler: Well, to get one thing out the way, Disney is developing an animated Kingdom Hearts movie. While years back I had heard the idea was to do something on Disney+, more recently I have heard the goal would be big screen adaptation, but as of now, these are just rumblings and nothing has been greenlit. Disney may have more of an interest on actual gaming instead of developing movies based on video games… Prince of Persia and Need For Speed were both duds for Disney.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2024/04/24/th ... r-mailbag/
Q: Some leaks are saying that the Kingdom Hearts Movie will be live action, but other sources dont. Is that true?

Skyler Shuler: Listen, there are some “scoopers” out there [with great track records] saying it is live-action/CGI. I was told a few weeks ago that the plan would be animation. Who knows, at this point, at least we know Kingdom Hearts is being mapped out.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2024/05/08/th ... isneyland/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Well, to get one thing out the way, Disney is developing an animated Kingdom Hearts movie. While years back I had heard the idea was to do something on Disney+, more recently I have heard the goal would be big screen adaptation, but as of now, these are just rumblings and nothing has been greenlit. Disney may have more of an interest on actual gaming instead of developing movies based on video games… Prince of Persia and Need For Speed were both duds for Disney.
True, but The Last of Us and The Mario film were all major hits, and, to some extent, so were Detective Pikachu and the Sonic films. So maybe there's hope.
Disney's Divinity

I've always been very skeptical about this happening, but admittedly Disney+ made it more likely than in the past. That said, as has been mentioned in the Disney+ thread, Disney seems to be focusing less on their streaming platform considering it's not really paying off well long-term as much as they'd hoped. I feel like if a TV series to this was greenlit, it might be one of the ones put down if they start to put out less streaming content.

TBH, as a KH fan, I never really wanted this anyway. I know they'd simply re-tell the first game over again and I think the game series itself has re-told that story so many times already. :lol: And I have a feeling a remake of the first game may end up happening over the next decade for PS5 or PS6, too. But still I would've watched it if they brought Osment and Gallagher back for it.