Happy Passover

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Happy Passover

Post by Farerb »

I don't know which one of you celebrates it but if you then I wish you all happy Passover :)
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Happy Passover

Post by Jules »

Well, I'm Roman Catholic , not Jewish, but it is still a very important part of my religion. Happy Passover to you. :)

I remember when I was a kid I used to attend a special mass with my parents taking place on the night of Easter Saturday and finishing around 5:30 am on Easter Sunday. (Yes, it was an all-nighter.) I remember that amongst the various readings from the Bible, there was a prominent one from the book of Exodus. We even used to sing about it!

I've long wondered how many American users on this site identify with the Jewish faith. We tend to mention Christian feasts like Christmas and Easter a lot, but what with the USA being so religiously diverse I find it hard to believe that everybody here falls squarely in the either the Christian or atheist camp.

Thanks for sharing farerb! :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thank you :)
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m a goy myself but a Happy Passover to all who observe! I hope everyone is able to get in touch with their family this year, if not in person at least through technology or the like— a friend on Facebook said his whole family used Zoom yesterday.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I’m a goy myself but a Happy Passover to all who observe! I hope everyone is able to get in touch with their family this year, if not in person at least through technology or the like— a friend on Facebook said his whole family used Zoom yesterday.
Yes. We're not allowed to do the holiday together so everyone used either Zoom or WhatsApp.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Jules wrote:I remember when I was a kid I used to attend a special mass with my parents taking place on the night of Easter Saturday and finishing around 5:30 am on Easter Sunday. (Yes, it was an all-nighter.) I remember that amongst the various readings from the Bible, there was a prominent one from the book of Exodus. We even used to sing about it!
Dude...parden my comment, I mean no insult to your religion, I went to Mass myself, but an all-night thing like that sounds like torture!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney Duster wrote:
Jules wrote:I remember when I was a kid I used to attend a special mass with my parents taking place on the night of Easter Saturday and finishing around 5:30 am on Easter Sunday. (Yes, it was an all-nighter.) I remember that amongst the various readings from the Bible, there was a prominent one from the book of Exodus. We even used to sing about it!
Dude...parden my comment, I mean no insult to your religion, I went to Mass myself, but an all-night thing like that sounds like torture!
:lol: Well, it wasn't a normal mass. Back then my parents used to form part of a religious group called the Neocatechumenal Way. I believe it originated in Spain and is widespread in Italy and my country. It is not a sect or other denomination of the Catholic faith, and is approved by the Vatican.

I remember regular mass was held on Saturday evening and would last an average of 2.5 hours (way longer than the mass celebrated in the parish churches) When my friends at school (who attended 'normal' mass) complained that the Sunday sermons were long I would give them a long hard look. :P I was still very young and didn't really appreciate the overlong mass, though it would probably be different now.

The Easter Mass was quite special though! I remember being sent to bed throughout the day and told to sleep so that I'll have the strength to stay up all night long.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, as long as it didn't bother you...?