Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, only the regular Diamond Edition is awful. I also think the Masterpiece is rather messed up having an adult Bambi battling next to a young Bambi. I mean, I would be ok with a different scene of an older Bambi next to a younger Bambi if it was kind of faded and balanced out and the whole cover looked like a collage of different scenes, but it looks like it's in another part of the forest next to him!!! Bambi: A Twist in Time. So the rest are pretty much good or great. I think the best one is the Signature Best Buy cover. Gorgeous!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

@farerb: will you be doing the package films next or will you skip straight to Cinderella?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I forgot to share my thoughts on the Bambi covers. My favorite by far is the Classics VHS. It's the best drawn one in my opinion, and the one with the best composition. That was also my first VHS, so I guess there's some nostalgia involved as well :D. Then the Best Buy cover for the Signature Collection, followed by the Platinum Edition. Of the overseas covers, the last one is also quite nice.

The Masterpiece VHS is not bad either, but I agree with Disney Duster that the deer fighting in the background is a weird addition. And what's on Bambi's face in the Diamond DVD? Is it the butterfly's shadow? It ruins the entire cover. I'm also not a fan of the light background of the Signature Collection's Blu-ray and DVD. It looks like snow, when the ever-present butterfly indicates it's spring.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:@farerb: will you be doing the package films next or will you skip straight to Cinderella?
My plan was to do them unless people want me to skip to Cinderella. I thought maybe doing two at a time for the package films.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think every single film should get the full week individually to themselves.
D82 wrote:The Masterpiece VHS is not bad either, but I agree with Disney Duster that the deer fighting in the background is a weird addition. And what's on Bambi's face in the Diamond DVD? Is it the butterfly's shadow? It ruins the entire cover. I'm also not a fan of the light background of the Signature Collection's Blu-ray and DVD. It looks like snow, when the ever-present butterfly indicates it's spring.
Yay, we agree! And yeah it's so weird, it looks like snow in the Signature...
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Funny... I always thought the Signature cover WAS snow. But poorly executed... they look like they are on a cement floor.... neither grass nor snow.

Anyway... I think the best two are the classics vhs (great composition and poses... mild issues with the characters pupils/irises) And the Best Buy Signature. Interestin light, and I like the relational scale of the characters.

The Diamond ones may be the worst ones... both of them. Blu ray with the huge head.... the dvd with the strange title placement and poor scale. Flower looks too small... and actually, the size relation between all characters is off.

As for the package films... my vote is to do them. But I like the 2-per-week plan :-)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Marce82 wrote: As for the package films... my vote is to do them. But I like the 2-per-week plan :-)
Or even 3-per-week. That would be fine. :wink:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:@farerb: will you be doing the package films next or will you skip straight to Cinderella?
My plan was to do them unless people want me to skip to Cinderella. I thought maybe doing two at a time for the package films.
I think this plan works best. The package films don't have enough home video releases to justify covering each one per week so two per week sounds great.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I think this plan works best. The package films don't have enough home video releases to justify covering each one per week so two per week sounds great.
I also think it would be a good idea for that reason. But it's your thread, farerb, so do what you prefer.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I looked over the "various" editions of the package films and they really don't have many cover arts (Make Mine Music has only one release). In addition there are so many editions where they paired two films together (Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros have been released together three times). So my plan is to do two films each week:

1. Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros.
2. Melody Time and Make Mine Music (that one... We'll just compare which film has the nicest cover...).
3. Fun and Fancy Free and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Then we will move on to Cinderella and continue with one film per week.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^That's perfect, farerb. :up: I'm looking forward to comparing those covers.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Sounds perfect! Lookin forward!!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros:

Neon Mickey VHS:

Sorcerer Mickey VHS:

Masterpiece VHS:

Exclusive Archives Laserdisc:

Gold Collection DVDs:

Classic Caballeros Collection:

Disney Movie Club exclusive Blu-ray:
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Last edited by DisneyBluLife on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

DisneyBluLife wrote: Saludos Amigos VHS (I don't know from which country)
https://www.todocoleccion.net/cine-peli ... x165186050

Spain. :wave:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Honestly, most of them are pretty similar, but I really like the Neon Mickey VHS cover. The one I grew up with is the Gold Collection DVD for The Three Caballeros so I'm biased towards that.
ImageImage
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Great covers for both movies. :)
My favorites are the Gold edition DVDs and The masterpiece VHS of Three caballeros. I like the Blu-ray cover too, nice with Pedro the plane and the orange/red background.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

These two movies have had more releases than I thought, considering they are not of the more popular classics. Some art is reused (the Neon Mickey VHS and the UK one use the same drawing of the three caballeros; the character poses in the Classic Caballeros Collection are from previous covers; and of course, the Sorcerer Mickey VHS cover is used three times), but all the covers are more or less well drawn and the characters quite on-model this time.

The best of the Saludos Amigos covers is the Gold Collection DVD; the two international ones are not very good. I think my favorite The Three Caballeros covers are The Neon Mickey VHS and the Masterpiece VHS. And of the two-movie combos, the Disney Movie Club exclusive Blu-ray is the one I like the most, though I prefer the original composition to the final one:

Image Image
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

bruno_wbt wrote:
DisneyBluLife wrote: Saludos Amigos VHS (I don't know from which country)
https://www.todocoleccion.net/cine-peli ... x165186050

Spain. :wave:
Thank you.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

For The Three Caballeros, I pick the Masterpiece VHS. For Saludos Amigos, the Gold Collection. I don't really like anything about any of these covers.