DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:27 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I've recently developed an interest in the way a film shot is composed, particularly in the way it addresses or conveys the film's theme, or is simply beautiful or visually captivating. So, in regards to Disney films, what are the shots/scenes you think represent Disney movies the best? They don't even have to have any meaning behind them, they could just be the shots you like the most.

Here are some of mine to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
Aladdin

Right after the "One Jump Ahead" reprise, Aladdin looks longingly at the palace. The theme here is that there is more than meets the eye, both in relation to Aladdin himself, and thinking that being rich/living in a palace magically solves all of person's problems (subverted with Jasmine).

Beauty and the Beast

Belle appears depleted as she sacrifices her freedom while an angry Beast towers over her. This is the first time we get to see both main characters clearly in the same shot, both in an emotional state completely different to the emotional state they will reach later on through their interaction.

So, what are yours? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:13 am 
Limited Edition

The shot of Mulan where she looks at the ancestor's graves and sees herself reflected back in all the graves. I always loved it.

Besides that, so many shots of Out There are just beautiful. The illusion of camerawork is fantastic.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:42 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thanks for replying! I agree, that shot from Mulan is gorgeous, especially in motion with all those moving reflections. And it conveys the film's theme! I myself opt for one that comes a few seconds later (it's a bit clich├ęd, I suppose):

Some other faves:
The Lion King

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Sleeping Beauty - this was kind of tough as this film has so much beautiful imagery so I kind of cheated

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:17 pm 
Special Edition

I remember seeing this shot for the first time, accompanied by Alan Menken's score, and thinking 'this feels like Disney'.
It's what made me believe Disney magic can be caught in CGI.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Ariel bursting out of the water after she got legs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

I love the village in Pinocchio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Great idea for a thread, Mooky! I love all the picks shared here so far. I wanted to contribute with some original ones, but all the shots that come to mind right now are the most famous ones. Anyway, here are a couple of my favorites (It's the first time that I use an image hosting site to post the images, so I hope I'm doing it right):

I've always loved this shot. I guess the music also contributes to that.

I like how the visuals help us feel how far away and unattainable Ariel's dream seems to her here.

Nandor wrote:
I remember seeing this shot for the first time, accompanied by Alan Menken's score, and thinking 'this feels like Disney'.
It's what made me believe Disney magic can be caught in CGI.

I love the music that accompanies that shot too, and I also love the design of the tower and the hidden valley where it's located. It reminds me of other iconic Disney landscapes like the seven dwarfs' cottage or Sleeping Beauty's castle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:30 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thank you! I just thought this would be a nice thread to show our appreciation for all the efforts that go into creating such amazing art.

I love both shots from The Little Mermaid that you and unprincess mentioned, I don't think I could pick a favorite if I tried.

Nandor, that truly is a great one. I wasn't very fond of Tangled initially but it has started to grow on me. If I had to choose, my favorite shot would probably come from the "I See the Light" sequence, but I'll have to see the movie again to decide.

Cinderella - as with Sleeping Beauty, I couldn't decide on just one, so...

Pocahontas

The Princess and the Frog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 am 
Limited Edition

The opening shot in Beauty and the Beast
The shot revealing Pride Rock, in The Lion King
The poison apple rolls off Snow White's hand after she bites it
Monstro breaching out of the water in Pinocchio

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:44 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I pretty much love all the ones posted! Here's one of my favs from Hunchback. The Sanctuary scene is so epic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

I started to make a post last week, but it kept going on so long, I decided not to finish. :lol: There are so many. I did save the post. Maybe I'll finish it some other time. >>;

David Archuleta ~ "Joy to the World"
Whitney Houston ~ "Who Would Imagine a King"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever, yes, that scene gives me the chills, in particular how it builds up with the lights and music, and the next thing you know Quasimodo is breaking out of his chains and swooping down, freeing Esmeralda, and then back to the Cathedral. It truly is epic.

Disney's Divinity, I hope you post yours soon. I would very much like to see your choices. You saying it ended up being a long list has me intrigued.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:38 am 
Platinum Edition

Aside from the ones already mentioned...

Snow White:
The opening shot, all the way to the slave in the magic mirror appearing.
The farther away shots of Snow White in the glass coffin.
The endings shot of the castle with Snow White and her Prince and the horse.

Bambi:
The opening forest shot.
The ending shot.

Cinderella:
The Chateau in disrepair after Lady Tremaine smiles when Cinderella's father died, after the fade to black.
Cinderella trapped in the window shadow cage.
Lady Tremaine's eyes in the dark in her bed.
The shot of the castle before we see the King and Duke.
The guests arriving at the castle at 8:00.
Cinderella crying in the garden.
The shot of the castle and the ballroom just after we saw the pumpkin coach on its way.
The shot of Cinderella and the Prince meeting for the very first time.
Cinderella dipping her hand in the fountain transitioning to her and the Prince dancing in the garden.

Sleeping Beauty:
The shot of the castle that Aurora sees at the end of "I Wonder".
The shot of the castle after Aurora found out her life was a lie.
The shots of Aurora in Maleficent's visin to Phillip.
The ending shot from dancing in the hall to the clouds.

Beauty and the Beast:
Beginning of "Belle" where she walks out of her cottage to town.
Belle's turning around as the background spins around her in "Belle".
Belle's "The Hills are Alive" moment.
Dancing in the ballroom that starts from the chandelier.
Dancing in the ballroom at the end.

Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:56 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wow Duster, those are some great choices! I love both shots of the Sleeping Beauty castle that you mentioned as well as the ballroom scenes in BATB. Not to mention the camera spinning around Belle in the opening number and the shot of the hills during her reprise number. So This is Love itself could fill a whole discussion thread with the number of gorgeous shots of the romantic couple in the palace.

I've always loved these dual gorgeous shots of both "Sleeping Beauties" in their rest. I challenge anyone who calls Snow White ugly to think otherwise with this shot. And the painting of Aurora is absolutely stunning with the details on her crown and her hair actually shining like gold.

Also these two shots behind two of my favorite couples affectionately snuggling together. I think they're such romantic settings. A Whole New World is another song that could easily fill this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 am 
Platinum Edition

I agree, "So This is Love" and "A Whole New World" have nearly every shot being worthy of this thread. I might even say any of the Cinderella ball shots. Oh, that reminds me to update my list! Also the opening of "Belle"!

And yes, those shots of Snow White and Aurora sleeping are gorgeous! I had considered saying the shots of Aurora sleeping...

Ooh, also the shot of Snow White in the glass coffin! I will update my list!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:37 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Once Upon a Dream and Part of Your World could easily fill up pages as well. You're right that So This is Love could be expanded to any scene from the moment Cinderella arrives at the palace.

Love the new additions to your list! I think it's no coincidence that Cinderella has the largest number of favorite shots. ;) That reminds me that the live-action Cinderella has a number of noteworthy scenes as well that would work in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:47 am 
Platinum Edition

Most of "Once Upon a Dream" and "Part of Your World", yeah, they could def fit in this thread.

Yes, because Cinderella is the film I know forward and backward, I can name all the shots I think fit this thread.

Others are harder.

I would add Pinocchio: The wishing star to the village, and the shot of the village the morning after Pinocchio came to life.

I'm sure there are many other shots from movies I like, but like I said, remembering them all is hard.

Oh, and yes, many shots from the 2015 Cinderella could be in! Almost any shot, that thing was made to look very beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Pinocchio is such a gorgeous film that it's difficult to imagine that it hasn't been mentioned much in this thread. Yes, the camera shot of Pinocchio's village the morning he goes to school is superb even to this day. I also love the interior of Geppetto's workshop and all the underwater scenes.

Another film which surprisingly enough hasn't been mentioned once in this thread is Fantasia. If there's any other Walt-era film besides Sleeping Beauty or Pinocchio that deserves to receive accolades for its visuals, it would be Fantasia.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:08 am 
Platinum Edition

I agree with your entire post.