Hercules (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Hercules (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Like Mulan, I don't particularly care for this one but I do think the film would be better served without songs. Hercules doesn't really have any iconic songs and even when the film came out, people felt it was Menken's weakest efforts and the first film in the Renaissance that really didn't need songs.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Like Mulan, I don't particularly care for this one but I do think the film would be better served without songs. Hercules doesn't really have any iconic songs and even when the film came out, people felt it was Menken's weakest efforts and the first film in the Renaissance that really didn't need songs.
I heard that Hercules is blamed for the death of the Renaissance production wise. Obviously it was too late to change Mulan, but Hercules might have been the reason why the characters in Tarzan don't sing the songs and why Kingdom of the Sun turned into The Emperor's New Groove.

My feeling towards this remake and whether it will be the same as the original or not is indifference. It'll turn out just like the rest of them, songs or not, and it's not like the original Hercules was this cinematic achievement like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King anyway.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Like Mulan, I don't particularly care for this one but I do think the film would be better served without songs. Hercules doesn't really have any iconic songs and even when the film came out, people felt it was Menken's weakest efforts and the first film in the Renaissance that really didn't need songs.
I heard that Hercules is blamed for the death of the Renaissance production wise. Obviously it was too late to change Mulan, but Hercules might have been the reason why the characters in Tarzan don't sing the songs and why Kingdom of the Sun turned into The Emperor's New Groove.

My feeling towards this remake and whether it will be the same as the original or not is indifference. It'll turn out just like the rest of them, songs or not, and it's not like the original Hercules was this cinematic achievement like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King anyway.
Hercules was the last film that Disney marketed in their signature style by going all out with in their marketing so that no matter where you went, you would see something of this film. Basically their last event film. When Frozen came out, I remember an article about how this was their first event film since Hercules. However, Hercules grossed the least out of the Renaissance films (ignoring the Rescuers sequel) and I remember stories about how all of the Hercules merchandise was heavily discounted and still not selling. It doesn't help that the film was not well-liked in Europe where they care more about the authenticity of the Greek myths and Greece flat out refused to premiere the film. I have a Greek friend who is a major Disney fan and she wasn't even aware that Hercules existed because the film has no following or presence in Greece.

From what I remember from articles, Hercules AND Tarzan both struggled the most with merchandise because they were more boy-oriented (which is why I never understood why Disney felt that their films struggle at the box office if they have "girly" titles because clearly that isn't an issue with merchandise). From what I've seen of 90s merchandise for Hercules, Meg had little promotion or merch whereas The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, and Hunchback all heavily marketed their female characters. Tarzan suffered in this regard as well since there wasn't much Jane stuff.

I also remember reading that in 1997, Anastasia felt more like the classic Disney film to general audiences because of the princess lead, the more traditional Disney songs, and even the casting with Disney veterans like Angela Lansbury and Christopher Lloyd. Anastasia was also a big merchandise seller and even though I was born in 1997, I still remember seeing lots of Anastasia merchandise in shops and bookstores in the early 2000s. Hercules never had a presence like that from my memory.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I know we often don't hear much reaction from the original talent on the re-makes (I only remember Angela Lansbury and Jeremy Irons right off, although I'm sure others had thoughts...), but I wonder if Lillias White will have a reaction to learning the Muses have been largely excised from the re-make?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I, too, will be upset if the new Hercules isn't a musical. I don't mind a new story like Cinderella or Mulan, but the comedy and the light heartiness are the original movie's central tone, unlike Mulan, merely a movie with songs, which was more serious. The gospel-style and fun musical numbers are more urgent with the new Hercules than the new Mulan, which went with a more serious, natural tone. Plus, the music is just so damn iconic. When I saw the musical, everyone cheered when the actors/orchestra started to perform Go the Distance (overture), Gospel Truth, Zero to Hero, and ESEPECIALLY I Won't Say that I'm in Love. It'd be like the inevitable Frozen remake without the songs.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

disneyprincess11 wrote:I, too, will be upset if the new Hercules isn't a musical. I don't mind a new story like Cinderella or Mulan, but the comedy and the light heartiness are the original movie's central tone, unlike Mulan, merely a movie with songs, which was more serious. The gospel-style and fun musical numbers are more urgent with the new Hercules than the new Mulan, which went with a more serious, natural tone. Plus, the music is just so damn iconic. When I saw the musical, everyone cheered when the actors/orchestra started to perform Go the Distance (overture), Gospel Truth, Zero to Hero, and ESEPECIALLY I Won't Say that I'm in Love. It'd be like the inevitable Frozen remake without the songs.
I'm sorry but Frozen is inseparable from its songs. I can't ever imagine saying that about Hercules. And of course the audience for the musical Hercules would be cheering because they were all superfans of the film in the first place who were chosen to attend and could hardly be described as general audiences. There's a reason that when Broadway Genie is riffing on classic Disney songs, he picks Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, and Pocahontas, NOT Hercules because the audience instantly recognizes Under the Sea, Be Our Guest, Hakuna Matata, or Colors of the Wind. For the same reason you won't see Hercules songs used in Disney Parades or fireworks shows or greatest hits albums. And that's especially true internationally where this film and its songs have little to no presence. In Japan, songs from Hunchback or Enchanted are more commonly seen in Disney albums whereas I've seen little to nothing from Hercules.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Plus, the music is just so damn iconic. When I saw the musical, everyone cheered when the actors/orchestra started to perform Go the Distance (overture), Gospel Truth, Zero to Hero, and ESEPECIALLY I Won't Say that I'm in Love. It'd be like the inevitable Frozen remake without the songs.
Couldn't agree more. :wink: Hercules has one of the best soundtracks in the Disney canon. All of the songs are incredibly melodic and memorable. I'm sure like Frozen or any other musical, you could tell the same story more or less without them, but why would you? Why remove all the flavor and the fun from your movie?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Plus, the music is just so damn iconic. When I saw the musical, everyone cheered when the actors/orchestra started to perform Go the Distance (overture), Gospel Truth, Zero to Hero, and ESEPECIALLY I Won't Say that I'm in Love. It'd be like the inevitable Frozen remake without the songs.
Hercules has one of the best soundtracks in the Disney canon.
If only general audiences felt that way...
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Couldn't agree more. :wink: Hercules has one of the best soundtracks in the Disney canon. All of the songs are incredibly melodic and memorable. I'm sure like Frozen or any other musical, you could tell the same story more or less without them, but why would you? Why remove all the flavor and the fun from your movie?
"Zero to Hero" and "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" in particular are hard to imagine any version of Hercules without.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

"Leaked," probably fan-made but trending on Twitter:

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/06/leak ... -noah-sp1/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's obviously fan-made. The project is still in the script stage. It doesn't even have a director attached yet. There's no way casting has started, let alone finished. Inside the Magic is notorious for being unreliable and clickbait-y just like We Got This Covered. You shouldn't trust it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yeah, I know you told me before about the site not being legit anymore (back in the day it was a legit park site IIRC). But because the style of the image reminded me of this, I posted it...I guess we'll see if anyone actually is cast from this list!
Sotiris wrote:The full cast has been announced. Beyoncé has indeed been cast as Nala.

Source: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/11/01 ... lion-king/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Jodie Comer is way too prolific an actress to appear in something like this. That alone could tell me it's pure clickbait.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I don't even know Centineo or Comer. I've seen a couple of episodes of Killing Eve because I always liked Sandra Oh, but not the entire series and not enough to remember Comer from it.

Jeff Goldblum is a fantastic idea for Hades though! Much better than Benedict Cumberbatch. Goldblum is hilarious and he sort of played a similar character in Thor: Ragnarok, too. I never would've even though of him, but now I really hope Disney thinks of him for the role. At first, I was like who would even think of Helen Mirren, and yet the more I think of it, she would be a good Hera, too. But it would be such a thankless, tiny nothing of a role. Even expanded somewhat, it would still be a waste of time for a big actress like Mirren.

Hemsworth though... I think it would be a little too similar to Thor for Disney to consider this role for him, no? I think Pratt is a better idea. I know these names are all fake, I'm just thinking of them hypothetically.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Don’t you think Mirren is a little old to play Hera? I mean, I know she’s an immortal goddess (both Mirren and the character) but the character has just given birth to a newborn at the start of the film. I guess nowadays you can de-age her with technology, but...

The idea does remind me of Helen Mirren playing Pharaoh’s queen in The Prince of Egypt, which she is great in.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I cant imagine why they'd make a live action version of this and not stay as close to the animated film as possible. The reason its become more popular these days is because of millennials nostalgia for it, fondly reminiscing about it with others online and memeing it. Whats the point if they are going to take out what made it unique to those fans and just turn it into another generic Hollywood sword & sandals CGI fest?
Maria_Potter

Post by Maria_Potter »

JeanGreyForever wrote: It doesn't help that the film was not well-liked in Europe where they care more about the authenticity of the Greek myths and Greece flat out refused to premiere the film. I have a Greek friend who is a major Disney fan and she wasn't even aware that Hercules existed because the film has no following or presence in Greece.
That's really not true about the film not being well known here in Greece. It may had been looked down upon when it was first released, but most us greek 90s "kids" have seen it, and I even remember several of my classmates singing songs from during breaks in high school. It's not a big favourite of mine, but most people my age seem to like or love it; I certainly don't know anyone who doesn't know of its existence!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Maria_Potter wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: It doesn't help that the film was not well-liked in Europe where they care more about the authenticity of the Greek myths and Greece flat out refused to premiere the film. I have a Greek friend who is a major Disney fan and she wasn't even aware that Hercules existed because the film has no following or presence in Greece.
That's really not true about the film not being well known here in Greece. It may had been looked down upon when it was first released, but most us greek 90s "kids" have seen it, and I even remember several of my classmates singing songs from during breaks in high school. It's not a big favourite of mine, but most people my age seem to like or love it; I certainly don't know anyone who doesn't know of its existence!
Well my Greek friend didn't know about the film at all so I was only going by her. I've certainly never polled Greece. But it's like Mulan in the sense that it's a film only popular amongst millennials but in older age groups, quite ignored or forgotten.
ImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

unprincess wrote:I cant imagine why they'd make a live action version of this and not stay as close to the animated film as possible. The reason its become more popular these days is because of millennials nostalgia for it, fondly reminiscing about it with others online and memeing it. Whats the point if they are going to take out what made it unique to those fans and just turn it into another generic Hollywood sword & sandals CGI fest?
Agreed. There have been 2 Hercules films released in Hollywood in recent years, starring Kellan Lutz & Dwayne Johnson. I don't suspect that we would really need another bland action film. We'll need the music, comedy & bright colours that made the film awesome.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I'm not happy with Mulan not being musical but I can deal with it, but Hercules NEEDS to be musical.

Oh, and it will never happen as they never cast the stage stars for the films but Jelani Alladin needs to be Hercules! Just surround him by big names in the supporting roles, like Chris Reeve in the first Superman.

https://youtu.be/9duEPWAlEpM