All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pixar Spark Shorts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am 
Platinum Edition

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/pixar/pixar ... 69018.html

Post subject: Re: Pixar Spark Shorts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 pm 
Collector's Edition

I hope we will see a Pixar short with actual dialogue for a change. I honestly don't understand why almost every Pixar short has to be pantomime. Not that it makes them bad, but a little diversity in that regard as will wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It's great that the shorts will be released on Youtube and we'll be able to watch them! The titles announced so far sound quite interesting and I think this whole initiative is fantastic.

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
I hope we will see a Pixar short with actual dialogue for a change. I honestly don't understand why almost every Pixar short has to be pantomime. Not that it makes them bad, but a little diversity in that regard as will wouldn't hurt.

I hope that too. I think the shorts from this new short film program will be more varied than the theatrical shorts. The directors of these shorts will probably have more creative freedom as the shorts won't need to fit with the style rules of the "official" shorts.

Regarding the lack of dialogue in Pixar shorts, usually I haven't minded it, but I don't like it when the characters speak with grumbles and unintelligible sounds because they can't allow actual speaking in their shorts, like in La Luna or Lou. I think that's ridiculous and kind of cheating. I much rather the characters talked in these shorts instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 pm 
Collector's Edition

Yes, if they feel voice actors are required, why not use the opportunity to let them speak real words instead of giving them some kind of Mr. Bean dialogue.

Perhaps there are some Pixar animator right now thinking "forget about all the etablished shorts traditions, I want to create something entirely new never done before". Or maybe a return to the old, like a short inspired by the Bob Clampett or Fleischer cartoons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:25 am 
Gold Collection

I think they don't talk because then they know they can show the short to everyone without having to spend alot of money to dubbed it into multiple languages.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Posters, stills and synopsis for the first 6 shorts: https://www.pixarpost.com/2019/01/explo ... horts.html

There's one in 2D animation, Kitbull. And unless the characters speak gibberish, judging by the synopsis, Loop will probably have dialogue.

DisneyBluLife wrote:
I think they don't talk because then they know they can show the short to everyone without having to spend alot of money to dubbed it into multiple languages.

I never thought of that possibility. Pixar seems to spare no expense with their shorts, but not having to translate them certainly saves them some trouble, so it could be because of that.