Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019-Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019/2020

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How come the top one is more pixelated (is that the word?)?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote:How come the top one is more pixelated (is that the word?)?
Because I can't upload an image that is larger than 999x999.
blackcauldron85

Oh, that makes sense- thank you :)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah, although the bottom one is a bit clearer in the details its also like they screwed up the color tinting so it gives off this bright yellowish hue. The top one is what I remember it looking like when I saw it in theaters back in 1991 and on the laserdisc.

btw what other DAC have problematic disc releases when it comes to their colors? For some reason this is the only DAC film where the colors of the previous disc releases have bothered me. I think Little Mermaid and Lion King, but for some reason those have never really bothered me, or at least i never noticed anything too jarring with the colors. I think B&TB bothers me more b/c it was the first DAC I had on laserdisc and I watched it a lot and would sometimes pause different scenes to marvel at the background details, so I have better memory of what the colors were.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

unprincess wrote:yeah, although the bottom one is a bit clearer in the details its also like they screwed up the color tinting so it gives off this bright yellowish hue. The top one is what I remember it looking like when I saw it in theaters back in 1991 and on the laserdisc.

btw what other DAC have problematic disc releases when it comes to their colors? For some reason this is the only DAC film where the colors of the previous disc releases have bothered me. I think Little Mermaid and Lion King, but for some reason those have never really bothered me, or at least i never noticed anything too jarring with the colors. I think B&TB bothers me more b/c it was the first DAC I had on laserdisc and I watched it a lot and would sometimes pause different scenes to marvel at the background details, so I have better memory of what the colors were.
The Little Mermaid's colors are not that different between versions. The only edition that has bad neon colors is the Platinum Edition.

Regarding CAPS films - Disney tampered with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. Aladdin didn't have much changes, the biggest offender is Beauty and the Beast.

CAPS films after The Lion King didn't have changes in them, they're taken straight from the CAPS files. Though there might be a change in brightness because of the formats.

Cinderella also has some changes in colors in some shots.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

thanks! need to keep these in mind...
oh yeah I know about Cinderella :huh: ... is the bad color one the more recent release with the line detail all DNRed out? Yeeesh, why do they refuse to get that film right?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote:thanks! need to keep these in mind...
oh yeah I know about Cinderella :huh: ... is the bad color one the more recent release with the line detail all DNRed out? Yeeesh, why do they refuse to get that film right?
Cinderella has been messed up since the Platinum Edition and it's been the same restoration ever since. :(

TLM Diamond Edition was said to be very faithful to the original film but I'm not sure about the Signature Edition. The Signature one looks a lot like the Platinum Edition which was really off like Farerb said.

Aladdin and The Lion King have alterations and effect changes to the animation as said above but I think the colors are mostly accurate.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Hum.. hum.. WHAT?!? Cinderella (1950), Sleeping Beauty (1958), Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), (Pocahontas) in UHD?
I wonder how legit this is..
Maybe/probably only HD applies for these four. I’m sure it does.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-of ... ts-movies/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It says "Starting at $9.99 each in HD/UHD" so that probably means all the films are HD except for the few that are in UHD like BATB, Aladdin, Mermaid, Tangled, etc.
ImageImage
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

JeanGreyForever wrote:It says "Starting at $9.99 each in HD/UHD" so that probably means all the films are HD except for the few that are in UHD like BATB, Aladdin, Mermaid, Tangled, etc.
So?.. that leaves us with the possibility interpret each of the listed films has a HD and an UHD version, which I truly doubt indeed in this case. That would be a clumsy way to release new UHD content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Clindor wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:It says "Starting at $9.99 each in HD/UHD" so that probably means all the films are HD except for the few that are in UHD like BATB, Aladdin, Mermaid, Tangled, etc.
So?.. that leaves us with the possibility interpret each of the listed films has a HD and an UHD version, which I truly doubt indeed in this case. That would be a clumsy way to release new UHD content.
The slash in HD/UHD doesn't mean that each film has both versions included. It means that each film will be either HD OR UHD.
ImageImage
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Clindor wrote: So?.. that leaves us with the possibility interpret each of the listed films has a HD and an UHD version, which I truly doubt indeed in this case. That would be a clumsy way to release new UHD content.
The slash in HD/UHD doesn't mean that each film has both versions included. It means that each film will be either HD OR UHD.
No HD if the film is available in UHD?.. That's kind of tough :lol:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's really semantics at this point.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

So.. some animation fans, as well as Disney fans, are going to be very happy I think! It seems that a FullHD version of Disney animated feature Make Mine Music (1946) is ready!..

Some screenshots of this HD master can be found on this French forum about Disney I sometimes visit here: https://www.disneycentralplaza.com/t237 ... isney-1946
(as you may know we cannot upload on this forum pictures when they are too large for some obscure reasons.. so you'll have to go through the link if you wish to take a glimpse)

As fans may notice, this is the UNCENSORED version of the movie with both the "Martins and the Coys" sequence and the non-redrawn "All the Cats Join In" sequence. But there are chances it will be re-edited for its potential releases.

That means that the rumors from last year about an HD restoration of both Melody Time and Make Mine Music turned out to be true!
But that's also means that the entire catalog of Walt Disney animation productions has now a remastered HD version! which is great news!!

We don't know when Make Mine Music will become available for purchase. But I think we can expect the movie to be released anytime soon on Disney+, and will eventually be available for physical purchase (at least through Disney Movie Club) sometimes either by the end of the year or 2021 first semester or more probably once the coronavirus pandemic finishes to strike.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

OMG that's incredible news Clindor! :D :D :D While I am not entirely confident they will put this new restoration on a physical medium, at least I am happy that the film has been preserved and that there is someone within the company (with some degree of power) that cares about this and Melody Time - two movies I really like!

The reason I'm a bit sceptical re the physical release is because we all know Black Cauldron got a state-of-the-art restoration in 4K, but it has only been implemented on Disney+ and there is no indication it will come to physical.

Still ... good news is good news.

Thank you Clindor!

Btw, this may sound weird, but the Hans drawing you are using as an avatar on Disney Central Plaza is surprisingly sexy. :P Is that original Frozen art, or fanmade?

As a sidenote, I remember joining the Disney Central Plaza forum 12+ years ago (after I joined here) but I abandoned it because my written French was rather rudimentary and I figured there was no way I would be able to discuss anything of substance. 'O' Level French can only take you so far ... :wink:
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Jules wrote::dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

OMG that's incredible news Clindor! :D :D :D While I am not entirely confident they will put this new restoration on a physical medium, at least I am happy that the film has been preserved and that there is someone within the company (with some degree of power) that cares about this and Melody Time - two movies I really like!

Thank you Clindor!
My pleasure :) .

I knew you'd get excited Jules! :D
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Is it worth getting Beauty and the Beast on 4K? I’ve gotten all releases just not this one yet. Wanted to wait. If the colors are more like the theatrical release than I definitely want it. :)

However, the review kinda points out it’s just like the 2016 edition.
Help! Lol
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Jules wrote:OMG that's incredible news Clindor! :D :D :D While I am not entirely confident they will put this new restoration on a physical medium
I think you can legitimately hope for that. I mean as long as you're not specifically waiting for a wide release. They released lots of "forgotten" Disney last year through the Disney Movie Club program, remember? A Goofy Movie (1995), An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000), 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), The Black Hole (1979) & others I'm probably forgetting to mention. How many of us had still hope for a 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea physical release 4 YEARS after its digital release on iTunes?? And for no apparent reason. In Melody Time (1948) case, they most likely waited for the restoration work on Make Mine Music (1946) to be finished, so they could organize some kind of simultaneous release of these two (since they stopped making 2-movie collection).
Jules wrote:The reason I'm a bit skeptical re the physical release is because we all know Black Cauldron got a state-of-the-art restoration in 4K, but it has only been implemented on Disney+
You can rest assured this one will remain shelved as long as a Black Cauldron live-action remake remains a possibility.
Jules wrote:and there is no indication it will come to physical.
You'll have to be patient for all those remaining films. No other choice left.
Jules wrote:Btw, this may sound weird, but the Hans drawing you are using as an avatar on Disney Central Plaza is surprisingly sexy. :P Is that original Frozen art, or fanmade?
All these drawings were made by Jin Kim. And yes, I think Hans is arguably the sexiest Disney villain ever made.
blackcauldron85

^ But aren't you disappointed that those DMC Exclusives have no bonus features?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I am, but that doesn't mean these movies would get more bonus features if they weren't DMC Exclusives.
Disney has showed less and less effort with their physical releases throughout the last 6-7 years.

At least getting these ones on Blu-ray is more satisfying than the more compressed format of their digital counterpart.