Lizzie McGuire Revival

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Lizzie McGuire Revival

Post by blackcauldron85 »

“Lizzie McGuire” Disney+ Reboot Cast Blames Disney Executives for Cancellation
https://wdwnt.com/2021/01/lizzie-mcguir ... cellation/
blackcauldron85

Hilary Duff Describes Conversations With Disney as “Very Protective” In Cancelled “Lizzie McGuire” Reboot
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... re-reboot/
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Every time this project is mentioned I get so sad. I was really gutted when they announced it wasn’t happening. I was really looking forward to it. Still don't understand why Disney wanted this to be another kiddie show. Kids nowadays don't care about Lizzie McGuire, it's the older fans who would have tuned in.

The synopsis for the new HIMYM spin-off that Duff is gonna star is also sounds pretty similar to the premise of the Lizzie McGuire sequel (a single girl in her late 20s / early 30s figuring out life with some help from her friends/family). Duff is also a producer so hopefully she's able to put some of the ideas she had for the Lizzie McGuire sequel into her new show.
blackcauldron85

I agree with you. I'm super excited for HIMYF, and if not Lizzie, then that's the next best thing, really (HIMYM is one of my favorite shows, too).
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I agree with you. I'm super excited for HIMYF, and if not Lizzie, then that's the next best thing, really (HIMYM is one of my favorite shows, too).

It’s funny how light the online response to this being cancelled was until the HIMYF announcement. Literally everyone I know who grew up watching this is gutted. I can’t believe they let it fall apart and couldn’t find a solution. It’s us millennial early 90’s kids who still watch the original and the movie. No younger kids are out there discovering this. A show for us is what we needed, and honestly to have them start production and complete two episodes and tell us not only that it’s not happening but we will never even see what we know is out there is pretty crushing. Disney doesn’t realize the fans of this aren’t the social media posting 24/7 people. We’re the slightly older than that age group who aren’t as active on social media but pay attention. And I think they’d have been shocked at how big the numbers for this would have been because the amount of us is staggering. It’s just really really sad. I still hope they figure out themselves over at Disney+ and let it happen. Still not sure why this couldn’t have just gone to Hulu.
blackcauldron85

^ That's a good point. I feel like Hilary was really trying to go to bat for people of our age group...if Hilary couldn't succeed, you think that if there had been a larger presence on social media that Disney would have changed their minds?

I get both sides on it...Raven's Home does well, and it is more of a traditional Disney show, more in the vein of a Good Luck, Charlie and Sydney to the Max, where the parents' storylines are more active than other Disney shows. But while Raven's Home can be enjoyed by people in their '30s, the issues aren't "adult"...I haven't seen all the episodes yet, but it's tame, you know? I really enjoy it, but it's not dealing with more adult themes that Hilary wanted for Lizzie.

All that to say, Raven and Chelsea went from a kids' show to a kids' show, one that focuses more on the parents but still is very much about the children. Whereas Hilary's and the show runner's vision for Lizzie wasn't to focus on her children's exploits because she wouldn't have any. It makes me wonder if Disney would want to bring back Hannah Montana- in recent years, Miley has seemed more open to playing Hannah again...would they expect a Raven, and Miley would be okay with that, or would Miley only settle for a Lizzie, and it's Hulu or nothing?

I was going to say, with HIMYF, in the fans' minds, kind of being a spiritual successor to the Lizzie show we'll never get, is Disney kicking themselves for canceling the show-- but HIMYF will be on Hulu, so Disney wins anyway.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Something I also realised after the Lizzie series was cancelled is that Disney has very few late '90s/early 2000s Disney Channel properties to revive to tap into the nostalgia of that era. They have already done Raven and The Proud Family revival looks like it's definitely still a go, which is good.

However, the live-action Kim Possible movie apparently did very poorly in the ratings, surprisingly, and even though it ended on a cliffhanger, there's been no announcement of a sequel. Even Stevens is extremely unlikely, with Shia LaBeouf having recently been charged with assault and domestic abuse, among other things. With Lee Thompson Young's death, The Famous Jett Jackson isn't going to happen.

I guess The Jersey could be revived, as it's a concept that's not dependent on returning actors. Phil of the Future is also possible. Otherwise, Disney+ appears to be mostly digging into their movie properties to turn into series for the platform rather than Disney Channel shows.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ That's a good point. I feel like Hilary was really trying to go to bat for people of our age group...if Hilary couldn't succeed, you think that if there had been a larger presence on social media that Disney would have changed their minds?
Oh absolutely. Disney fails to understand that the current 28-34 year olds who grew up with the show aren’t the social media addicts that anyone younger than us is. I have very few friends who are active on social media. Can go through my Facebook, Twitter, even Instagram and no one I graduated with in high school and for the most part college posts nonstop. We aren’t vocal online in the way the younger generations are. But our numbers and passion are massive. Any large social media reaction gets a company’s attention. Look at the Snyder Cut movement. But with Lizzie, half of those fans are moms now. We want to live through her. To grow with her. We did as young teens. The social media storm was never going to be huge because we just aren’t those people. But when it comes to watching, those numbers would’ve been massive. And I think Disney fails to fully understand that.

I get that Disney doesn’t know how far they want to go on the streaming service, but it can’t be all family friendly all the time forever. And it won’t be. One day it will change, and they’ll have let the moment in time slip by for this and I think, if they don’t greenlight it again soon, they’ll really regret it. Because now is the right time for it. And they’ll never get another chance. This character, all these characters are family to our generation. And to have them back I think would be a monumental tv moment. Plus, Miranda has been on that vacation in Mexico City with her family for way too long. It’s time we get her home.
blackcauldron85

Here's the trailer for the revival of iCarly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKVThOGLXc

And I *just* watched an Entertainment Tonight interview with Miranda Cosgrove (my computer is not showing me the link in my history!), where she said that the show will deal with the life of the 20-something Carly.

I know that Paramount+ and Disney+ are different streaming services... Disney+ has Marvel, and other PG-13 movies, so why can't the Lizzie reboot be on Disney+? I mean, unless sex/drugs/alcohol would be a major focus, I suppose. And I'm sure that just no happy medium between Disney/showrunner/Hilary could be reached...and obviously no news about it moving to Hulu. I just don't fully understand why iCarly can make it work and not Lizzie McGuire.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Here's the trailer for the revival of iCarly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKVThOGLXc

And I *just* watched an Entertainment Tonight interview with Miranda Cosgrove (my computer is not showing me the link in my history!), where she said that the show will deal with the life of the 20-something Carly.

I know that Paramount+ and Disney+ are different streaming services... Disney+ has Marvel, and other PG-13 movies, so why can't the Lizzie reboot be on Disney+? I mean, unless sex/drugs/alcohol would be a major focus, I suppose. And I'm sure that just no happy medium between Disney/showrunner/Hilary could be reached...and obviously no news about it moving to Hulu. I just don't fully understand why iCarly can make it work and not Lizzie McGuire.
I’m really thinking if iCarly is a success that Disney will have no choice but to reconsider Lizzie. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear about it by the fall. The fact that they’re obviously aiming it toward the original audience who is now grown is exactly what Lizzie was doing. And I see no reason if Carly is a success that Disney won’t learn a thing or two from it and have to get this back up and going. It’s the only property they have that could be competition for Carly and it’s a much bigger property as well.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

They could also use something like Girl meets world I would think. It would follow in the footsteps of boy meets world, one of the pioneers for sitcoms that grew with their audiences.
blackcauldron85

I still haven't gotten to Girl Meets World yet on D+. Is it a little more grown up than the average Disney show? Does it focus a lot on Cory and Topanga and others from the original show? But I'm glad you brought it up, because that is another example, like Raven's Home, where they're reviving an older show.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Yes, I would say its more adult than your average disney channel show. Its not as mature as boy meets world was, even in its earlier seasons though, which is an important distinction, as that show was made for ABC, not disney channel.

Cory and Topanga do get quite a bit of focus more than the adults in other shows at least. Although their kids do get most of the attention. And its always nice to see Shawn and Eric when they pop in on the rare occasion too. I do feel as if girl was held back a bit though being on disney channel, I imagine it would finally reach the maturity we saw in boy if they gave it the icarly treatment.
blackcauldron85

Thanks so much for the info!! Yeah, if Girl had been on ABC, I'm sure there'd be a little more freedom.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Hilary Duff‘s much-anticipated revival of “Lizzie McGuire” may have fallen apart a little more than a year ago, but all hope isn’t lost. “I don’t think it’s dead, and I don’t think it’s alive,” Duff tells me on this week’s “Just for Variety” podcast. “I think it’s just kind of sitting there.” Duff says the “Lizzie” conversations had been going on for about a decade. “I was like, ‘No, thank you,’” she recalls of first being approached. “And then one day, I was like, ‘Yup.’ There’s much love there.”

But alas, the project was nixed after Disney rejected Duff’s idea to make Lizzie’s comeback more adult than tween. “There’s always struggle with something that’s so loved and important to so many people,” Duff now says. “I just keep my heart and my mind open.”
Source: https://variety.com/2022/tv/columns/hil ... 235156929/
Q: There was obviously supposed to be a Lizzie McGuire revival that got the whole internet excited.

Hilary Duff: The one that we were actively filming? Yeah, that's the one.

Q: Have you thought about figuring out a way to leak the episodes? Or, is there any chance you might be able to revive it again?

Hilary Duff: I like the way you think. I would be lying if I didn't say I didn't have those thoughts a few times. But I wouldn't, because in my 34 years I've realized that everything does happen for a reason. There's a time and a place for everything. It just wasn't her moment. I'm constantly asked about it still. All it does is breathe life into the fact that people still want it, and that's really sweet. It's not dead, and it's not alive.

Q: Are you able to reveal anything about what your character was supposed to be doing?

Hilary Duff: My character was moving back home with her parents because she caught her soon-to-be fiancé cheating on her, and she was falling flat on her face at the moment and being like, "I need to pivot because everything that I thought was wasn't, and I'm turning 30."
Source: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainm ... interview/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

I really hope it happens!

It could be a limited series, like the Marvel ones, 6 or 7 episodes. They have already filmed 2!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

It’s baffling that Disney is afraid to create an adult version of Lizzie, yet has no problem adding ‘Star’ as a sub brand on Disney+ outside the US.

I open Disney+ and see adult content like that show about Pamela Anderson’s sex tape, which claims to want to finally tell the world the true story, but had no interest in consulting with Anderson herself. Real ethical there, Disney!

But yeah adult Lizzie McQuire is the real problem. :roll:

Whatever.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Well to simplify it, do you really want to see an actual Directly under the banner Disney character deal with sex and other adult things? Especially what Toon Lizzie would have to do in reaction/relation to This? Not only in a literal sense but this kind of thing is actually contradicting something that happened when Walt was still around where apparently animators made a cartoon for his Birthday Of Mickey and Minnie commemorated their relationship and even though Walt laughed he Asked who created this, and then fired the animator on the spot
Last edited by Patricier21 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney has no issues with violence under the Disney label, but a grown woman with a sex life is too much?

There doesn’t have to be nudity. Loads of romantic comedies don’t have that. America has such a weird relationship with human sexuality.

But violence is always fine and never frowned upon.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

PatrickvD wrote:Disney has no issues with violence under the Disney label, but a grown woman with a sex life is too much?

There doesn’t have to be nudity. Loads of romantic comedies don’t have that. America has such a weird relationship with human sexuality.

But violence is always fine and never frowned upon.
Violence Is something that can be worked around and it’s also something that all ages deal with at some point in their lives in some kind of way and despite it not being overall acceptable in society it’s not as sensitive as nudity or sex/other hormonal related things because it is used as a means of survival and defence, where is all that other stuff I mentioned above is always considered private because of Those kinds of things Being even Less civil by the nature of what they are because that kind of exposure and overall content it’s just Considered Overall sensitive because of What and how it is truly exposed, And not in a truly direct or truly appropriate way regardless of what ways you do it