Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:43 am Do you think after Disney buys the remaining stake in Hulu, it will merge it with Disney+ or share content between the two streamers?

Comcast, Disney ‘Tens of Billions’ Apart on Hulu Valuation, Now Aiming at Early 2024 Agreement
https://www.thewrap.com/comcast-disney- ... valuation/
Merge.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

It's interesting because they'll be making one app for both Disney+ and Hulu but they say they'll remain separate subscriptions. So I wonder how they'll spin that if they are merged...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Takes $1.5B Write-Down After Removing Shows Off Disney+ and Hulu
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235506474/

Disney Creators Vent Over Disappearing Film and TV Shows On Streaming
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235508084/

The Mystery of Disney+ Removals: Why Were Top Shows Like ‘Willow’ Canned?
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-plus-sho ... ls-willow/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ performance with kids.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235507904/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney to Close Remaining Linear TV Channels in Southeast Asia and Korea
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/disney ... 235643667/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney+ to Debut 28 Newly Restored Walt Disney Animation Studios Classic Shorts to Celebrate Disney’s 100th Anniversary
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney ... niversary/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ Has Paused Original Commissions in Canada
https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/disn ... 235644426/

Stephanie Azam Out as Head of Content for Disney+ Canada
https://variety.com/2023/global/news/st ... 235658414/

Disney Rails At “Micro-Managing” New UK Streamer Laws & Warns They Could Result In Price Hikes
https://deadline.com/2023/06/disney-pro ... 235421535/

Disney+ to Release More Than 20 Asia Originals in Second Half of 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235531718/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney+ Removes More Movies & TV Shows https://cordcuttersnews.com/disney-remo ... -tv-shows/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

HBO Max Overtakes Disney+ To Become The Third Largest Streaming Platform In The US.
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/hbo-max-o ... in-the-us/
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

That's perfectly acceptable in my book. While Disney+ has its perks for sure, (HBO) Max is probably my most used service as it has the best library of films. I hope that Disney (and a few other services as well) learns some lessons from this and realizes that having a more carefully curated collection is better than just having a bigger list, especially as it pertains to original/exclusive content.

Anyways, I saw this bit earlier today that felt relevant to our discussions on Disney and others dropping original shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XxzugF ... LL&index=2
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

And I don't see that changing soon, what with the Harry Potter mini-series being on there the next decade (2+ years before it starts, a season per book equaling 7 years from there). Good for them.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:58 am And I don't see that changing soon, what with the Harry Potter mini-series being on there the next decade (2+ years before it starts, a season per book equaling 7 years from there). Good for them.
Are you talking about Max? And I wouldn’t be spreading the word about this if I were you, as with any luck, Along with Percy Jackson, this will end up like the mysterious Benedict society And scrapped and cancelled if we don’t support it. There’s no reason to reboot this, especially if it is indeed going to be woke (like Percy Jackson already is), Gender swapped etc. Having them ironically be more unloyal to the book, When what both already had despite their issues is good enough.

If you have to watch, then torrent, as they don’t deserve to be doing this, also especially when they’re ignoring the reboot the already did (and scraping yet ANOTHER reboot they were planning on) for freaky Friday to have Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan come back; if they can do this there’s no reason why they can’t do this for both Harry and Percy here, again regardless of everything. Also keep in mind that apparently Johnny Depp is now Return to Disney as well……
Disney's Divinity

Yes, I was talking about Max overtaking Disney+. Oh, no, I plan to support the Harry Potter reboot emphatically! :D I'm sure it'll be much better than the film series as far as quality goes, no doubt. I mean, the film series did have a mostly perfect cast (Gambon as Dumbledore, Sirius' and Ginny's actors being some of the exceptions) and I'd say PS / CoS were perfect and DH part 1 / HBP / PoA were decent, that's about it.

I doubt they'd genderswap anyone, but they may racebend Hermione. She was always described as having bushy brown hair, unlike Annabeth with blonde hair or Ariel with red hair, so that's fine to me. Hermione was always my favorite of the characters along with McGonagall, Dumbledore, Luna, and Umbridge.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

PatchofBlue wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:22 pm I hope that Disney (and a few other services as well) learns some lessons from this and realizes that having a more carefully curated collection is better than just having a bigger list, especially as it pertains to original/exclusive content.
I’m a little confused by what you mean here. I feel certain that if someone had the time to itemize it, Max would have a much longer list of titles than Disney+. Maybe you mean Disney is just pumping out new titles that most people don’t really care about, but Max doesn’t have to because their back catalogue is so large?

Anyway, I agree with you, I’m a fan of Max. I was not so sure about the Discovery acquisition or the name change or the fact I had to download a new app on my phone to access Max… but I kinda love that I can go from watching Casablanca or a Criterion title to junk food TV like Sister Wives or a Food Network show. I’m out of work this week with a pulled muscle, and I’ve been watching docs and old movies on TCM. If I had to pick one service to subscribe to, it would be Max.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:54 am
PatchofBlue wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:22 pm I hope that Disney (and a few other services as well) learns some lessons from this and realizes that having a more carefully curated collection is better than just having a bigger list, especially as it pertains to original/exclusive content.
I’m a little confused by what you mean here. I feel certain that if someone had the time to itemize it, Max would have a much longer list of titles than Disney+. Maybe you mean Disney is just pumping out new titles that most people don’t really care about, but Max doesn’t have to because their back catalogue is so large?

Anyway, I agree with you, I’m a fan of Max. I was not so sure about the Discovery acquisition or the name change or the fact I had to download a new app on my phone to access Max… but I kinda love that I can go from watching Casablanca or a Criterion title to junk food TV like Sister Wives or a Food Network show. I’m out of work this week with a pulled muscle, and I’ve been watching docs and old movies on TCM. If I had to pick one service to subscribe to, it would be Max.
I could have been more clear, I guess. Max has a very robust set of films and shows. I'm mostly talking about exclusive content. There's this weird paradox with streaming services right now where they devote so many of their resources to greenlighting producing new content that is unique to their service but don't feel invested in properly nurturing it. I don't feel like that's a wise business move, or even a responsible way of managing an artform.

The general pattern I've observed is these services making a lot of show and dance that first week that a new show or film is on, but then completely abandoning that it once the next thing premieres, usually about a week or so after. I guess some people can keep up with the rhythm of just having a new obsession every week, but I definitely can't, and I don't think I'm alone in that regard. What this method usually leaves is a graveyard of shows and films that somehow feel forgotten and irrelevant a month after they've premiered. There are a few standouts that actually become cultural touchstones (Bridgerton, Stranger Things, The Witcher, etc.) but they feel more like exceptions.

I feel like this is more relevant with Netflix, but I see Disney fall prey to this mindset sometimes as well. Shows connected to, say, the MCU, tend to get a boost, but even then it's been a while since I've seen any one genuinely excited for the next Marvel series.

While I haven't run the exact numbers, I feel like one of the strengths of Max is that it's a little more judicious in what content it greenlights. Its exclusive content is more of a supplement than the cornerstone of its business model.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

That makes sense to me, thank you for clarifying. My only counter is that Max is a little bit younger than the other streaming service and maybe hasn’t had as much time to kill off our darlings yet. I know I’m worried about “The Gilded Age” which aired on HBO Max last year and was created by Julian Fellowes of “Downton Abbey” fame. Season 2 is coming out about a year and a half after the finale of Season 1 and even though the show got a lot of engagement online, I’m just not convinced it’s going to last in Zaslav’s world.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:43 am Yes, I was talking about Max overtaking Disney+. Oh, no, I plan to support the Harry Potter reboot emphatically! :D I'm sure it'll be much better than the film series as far as quality goes, no doubt. I mean, the film series did have a mostly perfect cast (Gambon as Dumbledore, Sirius' and Ginny's actors being some of the exceptions) and I'd say PS / CoS were perfect and DH part 1 / HBP / PoA were decent, that's about it.

I doubt they'd genderswap anyone, but they may racebend Hermione. She was always described as having bushy brown hair, unlike Annabeth with blonde hair or Ariel with red hair, so that's fine to me. Hermione was always my favorite of the characters along with McGonagall, Dumbledore, Luna, and Umbridge.
Please, it would be truly gratefully appreciated if you let alone anybody else reading this will please NOT Directly financially support the reboot in any kind of way at all. Again, if you have to experience it, please do so to torrenting or any other way that doesn’t directly give them money towards its overall success. This franchise truly means a lot to me, Actually especially with the fantastic beasts movies, of which I am very personally connected to; the first one is actually my favourite live action movie of all time, and as such, It truly represents who I am as a person, and who and what my overall essences. I am basically Newt Scamander, Someone who is truly passionate and persistent and what they love, and not letting anything get in their way with that let alone what they truly love, and in a more literal sense, It’s true lover of animals and other “fantastic” beasts :-) And just the way the movies were portrayed, even with some of the issues they may have, it just brings back more of the feeling of the franchise overall, let alone the closest we ever got to having the feeling of Chris Columbus‘ Supreme first two movies. They’re just more fun, more magical, and just have us truly feel like we are in an experience in the Wizarding world, and truly overall experiencing it :-)

To have all of that Being replaced with the reboot, let alone the larger Harry Potter movies before hand is just about one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever had to experience in my whole life, and I’m not exaggerating when I say that my life has been screwed up and fractured to say the least, A lot more than literally any other person will more than probably experience. And while the movies do other problems, and definitely could’ve been better, the fact is they are overall the wrong thing and we’re more than reasonably overall as good as it gets as far as adaptations go, and if there are any things that do need to be fixed,Pretty close to all of them can be by simply releasing the many unreleased deleted scenes that we have not seen, Regardless of whether they are actually added back into the movies or not.

While objectively this reboot will bring some interesting things, it’s just overall gonna cause a lot more frustration; I mean how are the theme parks going to deal with this? With Hogwarts and other things Having to be altered in the TV show to be different from the movies, because they are completely different universe, then when those who experience a TV show, even if they have also experienced the movies are just going to complain That “it doesn’t look like it does on TV!” Etc. not to mention the characters and other things in merchandising looking different,/the film related merchandise Such as Lego sets etc. now having to be changed to resemble the TV show, so that means no more movie based stuff, EH? And again, there is an evitable you’re going to be race bending and even gender swapping in order to make it be more but some thing and stand out from the movies. Like my best friend Has said about this, “why take away something that’s already overall perfect, or at least good enough as it is?” And also consider That even with the major differences in the later movies, we also have the original games (including the Lego ones as well) That added on a lot of stuff That wasn’t in the movies and was in the books, Furthering making the reboot seem unnecessary; this is going to be like the fifth time we’ve experienced these stories, so what is the point? Not to mention that it also more than technically is taking away the reason for actually still having and indulging in the books if they have next to everything in the show, Then what’s the point? I know people these days don’t like imagination, but that doesn’t mean that we still shouldn’t use it, Since it is, and always truly will be, and essential thing to truly live, weather for innovation, survival, and just plain giving value and meaning to literally anything?
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

To follow up on this, I would highly recommend everybody please consume and buy as much merchandise related to the Harry Potter movie specifically (including fantastic beasts :) to prove WB just how popular the franchise is as it is, and again do not buy or support anything directly related to the reboot :) Again, check it out if you must, but just don’t do it in a way that will give it support, Because regardless of anything, it truly doesn’t deserve to exist, and is rather unnecessary, even more so dare I say it then the live action remakes of Disney or anybody else, because at least we’re getting something new in a new medium, where is what is the point here?Truly in any kind of way?
Disney's Divinity

I'm sorry, Patricier. The HP franchise is also dear to me as well and I plan to support it. I don't consider the film franchise perfect, and I imagine they wouldn't change the look of things that are based off of what the book describes anyway? The Grand Staircase is still going to look like a staircase because the books originated it, not the film series.

The mini-series won't take away the film series if that's what you're worried about; it'll just be better than the film series most likely, imo. I imagine the general design of the castle will be similar to the movies and they will keep the same theme music iconic to the property. The differences might be things like how Time Turners look or whatever, Dumbledore's outfit, etc.. One thing I hope is that the characters are dressed in black robes in the school scenes the whole series rather than regular clothes like the films adopted PoA onwards.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:06 pm I'm sorry, Patricier. The HP franchise is also dear to me as well and I plan to support it. I don't consider the film franchise perfect, and I imagine they wouldn't change the look of things that are based off of what the book describes anyway? The Grand Staircase is still going to look like a staircase because the books originated it, not the film series.

The mini-series won't take away the film series if that's what you're worried about; it'll just be better than the film series most likely, imo. I imagine the general design of the castle will be similar to the movies and they will keep the same theme music iconic to the property. The differences might be things like how Time Turners look or whatever, Dumbledore's outfit, etc.. One thing I hope is that the characters are dressed in black robes in the school scenes the whole series rather than regular clothes like the films adopted PoA onwards.
But like you said, If this is indeed better than the movies, then it will truly replace them, let alone losing any kind of chance for fantastic beasts to be continued in whatever way :( You’re the one who’s always so reprimanding of Disney with their live action remakes, well I can guarantee you, and even bet money that this is gonna be more or less exactly the same. Heck, with cursed child and other things the WB has done, there’s already more than enough proof that they are going to do this. I never said the movies were perfect (Heck, most of them are major disappointments, hence another reason why I adore fantastic beasts so much because those literally are perfect compared to most of the Harry Potter movies, especially those ironically directed by the same Director, David Yates, who like I said actually Felton seems like he wanted to make these movies as opposed to his Harry Potter movies that are more than obviously only made first easy paychecks, and it really really shows……)

Besides, there’s a decent chance that this, again let alone Percy Jackson, will not go over well just like what happened with mysterious Benedict society: First season was very well received, then look, cancelled after season two and now permanently removed from Disney+…… And like I said, the best course of action to satisfy everyone overall is for them to release the many unreleased deleted scenes, So then that will at least somewhat satisfied those who don’t consider the movies to be “perfect”/at the very least have them feel somewhat better about it, regardless of whether they actually fan edit them back into the movies, which many many people have already done; Using the TV show for that kind of thing won’t really suffice because of how different things are going to be, regardless of any similarities that they may perhaps have.

And like I said as well, it’s not going to overall satisfy you. I could even bet money on it that it’s not going to. But even regardless of that, it’s just plain wrong. This is not the way. Regardless of how “perfect“ or not it may be, it’s still Doesn’t deserve to have this after all that it’s done. I mean would you do this to Indiana Jones (despite everything)? Would you do this to Star Wars? Would you do this to toy story etc. Not only for cultural significance, but because of how it’s overall received, and quite frankly every time they do something like this, rebooting something that’s already greatly well received even regardless of cultural significance, it never ever ends up well in the end. Like you said, if you go into something with ill intent, it never ever ends well in the end no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem