Post subject: Ms. Marvel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:56 am 
Platinum Edition

Miss Marvel: Muslim superhero film 'in the works', Marvel says
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44111442

Post subject: Re: Ms. Marvel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am 
Collector's Edition

I thought Disney wasn't allowed to overly talk about religion in their movies... :? Miss Marvel's early character is driven a lot by teachings in the Quran so I wonder how they'll do it.

Does the Daredevil show even talk about Catholicism?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:08 pm 
Collector's Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Does the Daredevil show even talk about Catholicism?

Yes, Matt Murdock is shown to be a Christian in the TV show. His priest, Father Lantom, is even a recurring character.

Personally I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to show Kamala's religion. I have read the first 20 or so issues of her solo title(s) and she is so much more than just her religion. As long as they get her personality right I'm happy. She could be a great role model for young (POC) girls out there (who don't already know her from the comics). :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:26 pm 
Limited Edition

The Daredevil show is for a more mature audience though compared to the MCU's more family friendly pictures. However, there's really no way to tangle Kamala Khan's character without including her religion. But as pointed out, it's not overbearing and just serves to set up the character so I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't call her an overly religious hero like Daredevil, Nightcrawler, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm 
Collector's Edition

It's still a part of her, she often thinks about her teachings and often we see scenes of her talking at the mosque. If Disney portrays it well, kudos, but I'm curious since even Sotiris said in the freakin' Ralph thread that Disney is terrified to showcase religion and tries its hardest to erase it or downplay it from their current films.

No need for supertalies to change my words and make me into a villain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 am 
Collector's Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
No need for supertalies to change my words and make me into a villain.

Oh, that really wasn't my intention. I'm so sorry if it felt like I was attacking you or twisting your words. :(

I actually think you are right about Disney probably not wanting to show religion and trying to erase or downplay it from their current films. And about religion being an important part of Ms. Marvel's character. I just feel like religion is something that is a part of many people's lives, so it shouldn't be something they would have to be afraid to include. So, like you, I'm curious to see what Disney/Marvel will do. :)

I guess there is no way to know for sure until we've seen the movie, if they're even going to make a Ms. Marvel movie. I wouldn't be surprised if they send her to TV/streaming platform land, like they did with Daredevil and Squirrel Girl lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:30 am 
Platinum Edition

supertalies wrote:
I just feel like religion is something that is a part of many people's lives, so it shouldn't be something they would have to be afraid to include.

Disney always tries to appeal to the broadest audience possible so focusing on a specific religion may alienate audiences of other religions as well as non-religious people.

If Ms. Marvel indeed gets her own movie, I expect that her religion and how it relates to her identity will be touched upon but downplayed to an extend.

thedisneyspirit wrote:
I'm curious since even Sotiris said in the freakin' Ralph thread that Disney is terrified to showcase religion and tries its hardest to erase it or downplay it from their current films.

It seems Marvel is given more leeway in including religious themes in their work (see Agents of Shield and Daredevil) than WDAS or Pixar. Maybe it has to do with the fact it's live-action and their target demo is older than Disney's animated output.