DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 pm 
Platinum Edition

The teaser trailer, the theatrical trailer, and the teaser poster have been released.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/SpiderVerseMov ... 088320291/

The movie looks really good! The only thing I don't like is them using chromatic aberration instead of a traditional camera effect to simulate background blur. It creates a result similar to what a 3-D movie looks like without glasses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
The only thing I don't like is them using chromatic aberration instead of a traditional camera effect to simulate background blur. It creates a result similar to what a 3-D movie looks like without glasses.

So that was intentional? When I saw the trailer some weeks ago, I thought I had clicked on the 3D version of the trailer :lol:. I don't like that effect either, but I agree, the movie looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Late reply. I am very much looking forward to this and I hope it restores Sony Pictures Animation's image with the general public (going by YouTube and Facebook comments it seems Sony became a laughingstock on releasing The Emoji Movie.) Also, I think the film's production designers and art directors as well as the crew at Sony Pictures ImageWorks - where the film is actually animated - deserve a huge thumbs up for the ballsy move of having a mainstream, big-budget animated film look stylistically distinct from every other CG film out there. Animation fans have been moaning for this year in year out.

As we know there were similar experiments being done at WDAS during their last dark age, but they were torpedoed before they could be applied to the finished films (i.e. Keane's original visual language for Tangled) or seemingly abandoned (i.e. Meander.) :(

Off-topic, but I often wonder what would have happened to WDAS had the Pixar purchase never happened. Would they have recovered from their slump by now (on their own), or could the situation have gotten so bad that the studio would have closed its doors?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 am 
Platinum Edition

The theatrical poster and another trailer have been released.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/SpiderVerseMov ... 318044500/

The movie looks like fun! I like the personality of adult Peter Parker and the homages to Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. It would have been so cool had they gotten Tobey Maguire to voice him. I also like how the relationship between Miles and his dad is portrayed. It's refreshing seeing a Black father defying gender norms and being emotionally available and not afraid or embarrassed to show affection to his teenage son. One thing I didn't like was the approach they went with for Peni Parker. Making her an anime character is too silly and meta and her design looks generic and underdefined like she came from one those poorly-drawn "how to draw manga" books. I'm more accepting of Spider-Ham since he's the obligatory sidekick used for comic-relief, though I could do without. He's basically Porky Pig in a spider-suit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:29 am 
Platinum Edition

An international trailer, a TV spot, a UK banner and a French poster have been released. The lyric video for the song "Sunflower" featured in the movie has been released as well.

Source: https://twitter.com/SonyPicturesUK/stat ... 6633327622

Source: https://twitter.com/SonyPicturesFr/stat ... 3913550848

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

That would have been so cool! Talk about a missed opportunity.

Tobey Maguire Was Considered for Spider-Verse's Peter Parker
http://screencrush.com/tobey-maguire-in ... der-verse/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:29 pm 
Limited Edition

As a Spider-Man fan, I feel this is the right movie we need for the franchise. Let's leave already this crap of "Peter Parker must be a teen" and start expanding the idea of him being an adult already, facing his adult responsibilities. Focusing on the other Spider-Men can also help widen the world and attract more audiences.

Also, even if she's in a cameo, Mary Jane being rightfully portrayed beats out no MJ or her being turned into a rude Daria rip-off (MCU, I'm looking at you).

EDIT: Oscar Isaac is in this? Cool, the guy's talented and handsome, but I feel he's better as an actor than a voice actor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm 
Platinum Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
As a Spider-Man fan, I feel this is the right movie we need for the franchise. Let's leave already this crap of "Peter Parker must be a teen" and start expanding the idea of him being an adult already, facing his adult responsibilities.

I couldn't agree more. I'm also tired of a teenage Spider-Man. With him being an adult you can tell more interesting stories and explore a more profound and nuanced aspect of the character. I never understood why most Marvel fans prefer him as a teenager.

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Also, even if she's in a cameo, Mary Jane being rightfully portrayed beats out no MJ or her being turned into a rude Daria rip-off (MCU, I'm looking at you).

She's not even named Mary Jane, anymore. She's Michelle Jones. What they did with the character was horrible. The "my friends call me MJ" twist was so cringe-worthy. Marvel backtracked in the press after the backlash saying Zendaya's character isn't supposed to be MJ but we all know what they were trying to do. Regardless whether she's technically Mary Jane or not, she's still functioning as a Mary Jane surrogate and I believe this is going to be even more obvious in Far From Home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm 
Special Edition

This looks amazing. We need more mainstream CGI films that really experiment stylistically like this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:59 pm 
Limited Edition

That's because MCU fanboys absolutely refuse to ever talk about any flaws the movies might make, and they go out of their way to excuse every dumb decision the movies make. I figure they don't even read the comics, but they just google on wikipedia basic things and fawn whatever decision Kevin Beige makes because "omg they're funny" "RDJ is the best", and other shallow reasons. Disney just has a way of amassing people who never question their decisions.

Whitewashing characters? They excuse that. Iron Man making rape jokes? They excuse that. Massively changing everything that was appealing about Spider-man? They excuse that.

Mary Jane is actually a fascinating and complex character in the comics, so I don't get why adaptations never portray her well. I figure so many people don't comment on how shitty a character Michelle is because of fear of being called "racist", but I reckon if she had been played by a white brunette actress EVERYBODY would've complained about the movie misrepresenting Mary Jane so much. If she ends up being Peter's love interest, ok, but keep her as she is. I think it'll be so dumb if they try to retcon her into being MJ and giving her dyed red hair. It'd just be embarrassing. It's hilarious, in a way. Mary Jane is the one seen as "outdated" and "needs to be changed", but flawless Gwen Stacy must always be a genius scientist, white and blonde, and of course, Peter's "true love" and the female "main lead" of Spider-Man.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm 
Platinum Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
If she ends up being Peter's love interest, ok, but keep her as she is. I think it'll be so dumb if they try to retcon her into being MJ and giving her dyed red hair. It'd just be embarrassing.

It has already been confirmed she's Peter's love interest in Far From Home. I honestly don't get why they bothered coming up with a new character instead of using the well-known and well-beloved Mary Jane. They still could have racebended her if they were dead set on casting Zendaya.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Zoe Kravitz would've been a better live-action MJ all things considered over Zendaya, anyhow. At least she has charisma.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:25 am 
Special Edition

Saw this tonight, and it was an absolute delight.

This is definitely my favorite Spider-Man film to date. It was just super fun, with lots of humorous moments, nods, and winks, but I appreciated that it knew when to play it straight, giving proper emotional weight where it was due. It was a classic origin story that we've seen time and time again, yet it still felt fresh.

And the visuals.... Just amazing. Pure eye candy from start to finish, and it really showcases the range that a CGI film can achieve. Hopefully more of the big studios start experimenting with the medium like this film did.

I can totally see why this is sweeping a lot of the awards so far. I think this might beat out Isle of Dogs, Incredibles 2, and Mirai as animated film of the year for me as well.