DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cats (2019)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I thought the butthole cut was fake, too. Blows my mind it was real! I remember when the trailer dropped I was shocked the movie was already coming out, it had an incredibly short window for post-production, as the visual artists note. It so rubbed me the wrong way when Corden and Wilson came out at the Oscars and made a joke about the movie’s visual effects. To me the villain in the piece always had to be Hooper and the studio because it was so clear that they did not know what they were doing.

I’m sorry the production was such a bad experience for the artists and that their work was mocked despite conditions being out of control. I feel bad for the actors and performers whose hard work was obscured by Hooper’s poor direction and choices.

That said, I still think the movie is wild good fun. My Blu-ray is set to arrive this Saturday!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:07 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ I usually love James Corden, but it really rubbed me the wrong way how they did the VFX team dirty like that. He didn't even see the movie, so he just did it for the $, which is fine, but don't badmouth all the people that worked so hard on it.

My Blu is set to arrive by Tuesday, I think. So excited! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:37 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

My Blu arrived early!!! I’ll be watching it tonight!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ Enjoy!!! =^._.^= ∫ ₍⸍⸌̣ʷ̣̫⸍̣⸌₎

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I love the cats pictographs/emoticons!!! I don’t remember what we used to called those things before “emojis” lol...

Rewatched it last night! I don’t know if I will ever get used to seeing those “cats” on screen. And I noticed even more egregious issues of scale this time (it’s particularly bad during the Jennyanydots scene). The cast really is very good though— particularly Ian McKellan who is totally committed to his role as Aspara”gus.” And Fairchild’s British accent is so good, I was surprised to learn he is American. I think the only person I would have taken out is Rebel Wilson (who I usually like) as she can’t perform the role as written and what she brings to the table in comedy isn’t really much at all. I think— if we’re still going for comedy over dance— Emma Thompson would have been wild in the role! Or Julie Walters or Jennifer Saunders! Now that I thought of it, I really wish Saunders had been cast... She can sing (she was the Fairy Godmother in Shrek 2) and even if she can’t dance (I don’t know if she’s trained or not) she’d have done some really great physical comedy. And maybe I would have recast Mistofellees, too, if only so that it would have starred a real dancer.

I had fun watching it again! I’m probably going to put it back in tonight to watch the bonus features and listen to the commentary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
And maybe I would have recast Mistofellees, too, if only so that it would have starred a real dancer.

I'm not familiar with his other work, but I absolutely loved Laurie Davidson as Mistofellees! He played him so earnestly. He was a highlight of the film for me. Not that a better dancer wouldn't have played Mistofellees well, but I'm happy with Mr. Davidson's performance. And Skimbleshanks is where its at, dance-wise! <3

Please post if you find anymore goodies in the bonus features/audio commentary; I still don't have my Blu yet!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh, no I get you, I actually like him a lot, too, for the same reasons you say— and I don’t even think he’s bad like I think Rebel Wilson is— but I just think his number is so much better in the stage show and I think a lot of that is to do with his lack of dance experience. As much as I like him, I’m not sure it was worth the trade-off of a subpar “Mistofellees” number, especially when Munkustrap and Victoria were ballet dancers who gave very good acting performances. Surely they could have found a good dancer/actor for this role, too?

But I hope Davidson keeps showing up in more films!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I took notes while watching the bonus features and listening to the commentary. The bonus features are pretty well done— they are short but there are a plethora of them. My favorites were the ones about the dancers. Anyway, here are my notes:

It is actually really cool to see the footage of the actors, before the digital effects, performing in the scaled up sets. It’s a shame that the artificiality of the cats’ designs sort of takes away from that because, scale issues aside, these really are impressive sets. But in the movie, it is hard to tell where the practical stuff ends and the CGI begins so to me it all looks artificial.

So the scale of the set doesn’t look so bad in the BTS footage. Seeing the actors in day clothes, sometimes even in performance when they were in their green screen suits, the sets don’t look so bad? I don’t know if they did something in post-production, or maybe it’s the cinematography because all the wide shots might make them look too small.... I don’t know what happened here, it’s really weird to me?!

The performers were wearing dance shoes the whole time!!!! Why did they choose to make them look like human feet instead of cat paws???? I thought they danced barefoot and because their feet were already there it was easier to just make them furry but no, they had to digitally give them toes and everything so...... why not cats paws????? I call this the “Donald Duck problem”— I’m willing for an anthropomorphic animal character to be humanizes in some ways, I can accept that a hand is more useful for movement and expression than a wing or a paw, but if the less useful foot does not resemble the animal it breaks the illusion. Imagine Donald with human feet!

In the commentary, sometimes it sounds like Hooper took everything... too seriously? He mentions several times that the movie harkens back to childhood but I think he forgot that in production! It might have worked to have played it like a child’s fairytale with talking cats— something simple and strange like Cocteau’s Beauty and the Beast. But he got bogged down in trying to ground the material and rationalize everything and thinking about Oscar noms but if he had instead focused on just appealing to the inner child, maybe it would have worked? I don’t know....

What does a dog look like in this universe? Dwayne The Rock Johnson?

Why didn’t Macavity kidnap Rum Tum Tugger too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:16 am 
Platinum Edition

^ Yay, thank you so much for taking notes!!!

Was anything done to the sets, as far as digitizing them or something, or do we see the practical set as is on screen? [I'm typing as I read, so we both are wondering this!]

OMG, the feet had to be artistic choice then!? Oh, Mr. Hooper... :/ (Because I mean, he could've used digital fur technology on the feet, right? I know it was spotty with the hands, so maybe there *was* a test done but it didn't look right? But the human feet didn't look right, either... :/ I have read some opinions that they're not actually full-on cats, that the Jellicles are their own kind of "breed" (I don't know how true this is- it's been a little while since my looking it up), so maybe Hooper was going with that. I wanted full-on cats, as I think a lot of people did... (oh, I wish Amblinmation didn't cancel their animated version!, even though I do love this movie...)

My intention isn't to be mean towards the man, but he seems like the kind of guy to take things seriously (looking at you, Hathaway/Hudson snot)...I really want to know what his initial vision was for the film. Because I think the way the cats look can give children nightmares. :D

Fill me in on why you'd say dogs would look like Dwayne Johnson?! Just because he's physically stronger than all the cats? The wrinkly-faced pollicle in the stage show is nightmare fuel for me (:p) so maybe they would just have longer ears and more fur? Human noses and human feet, unless the cats just wore junkyard-made costumes in the film, if they included the song...

About why Rum Tum Tugger wasn't kidnapped: In the stage show, Rum Tum Tugger sings "Mr. Mestoffelees," so usually he needs to be there to sing. Maybe Hooper didn't want to change him to a kidnapped cat? :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:47 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quote:
Was anything done to the sets, as far as digitizing them or something, or do we see the practical set as is on screen? [I'm typing as I read, so we both are wondering this!]

Some of the sets were very reliant on the CGI, but some of the sets were almost totally practical. I mean, almost everything in Jennyanydots’ home was real. The streets, too. And when the actors are up close, the sets look really good. I think Hooper used too many wide shots... those tend to be the bread and butter of a dance musical but they ended making the cats look minuscule. The railway tracks were always too big, though, even before the VFX.

Quote:
OMG, the feet had to be artistic choice then!? Oh, Mr. Hooper... :/ (Because I mean, he could've used digital fur technology on the feet, right? I know it was spotty with the hands, so maybe there *was* a test done but it didn't look right? But the human feet didn't look right, either... :/ I have read some opinions that they're not actually full-on cats, that the Jellicles are their own kind of "breed" (I don't know how true this is- it's been a little while since my looking it up), so maybe Hooper was going with that. I wanted full-on cats, as I think a lot of people did... (oh, I wish Amblinmation didn't cancel their animated version!, even though I do love this movie...)

In the commentary, Hooper says some stuff about them being human cats. So the blend of the human and cat was totally intentional... but I think that is way too literal of a take. When we watch the stage show, I don’t think we’re meant to believe these are cat/human hybrids, they’re supposed to be stylized cats performed by humans but we are supposed to believe they are cats. I don’t think that’s what Hooper was going for......

I would have loved to have seen Amblinmation’s take, too!

Quote:
My intention isn't to be mean towards the man, but he seems like the kind of guy to take things seriously (looking at you, Hathaway/Hudson snot)...I really want to know what his initial vision was for the film. Because I think the way the cats look can give children nightmares. :D

When I was watching the movie last night, I wondered what I would have thought of it as a child. I don’t know— as a kid, I didn’t like the stage musical film but that version had less of a plot and even more dancing which didn’t interest me as a kid. In a way, this movie version reminded me of one of the strange children’s fantasy movies from the 80’s/90’s that I grew up watching on HBO... I wonder if this film will have a legacy with kids....

Quote:
Fill me in on why you'd say dogs would look like Dwayne Johnson?! Just because he's physically stronger than all the cats? The wrinkly-faced pollicle in the stage show is nightmare fuel for me (:p) so maybe they would just have longer ears and more fur? Human noses and human feet, unless the cats just wore junkyard-made costumes in the film, if they included the song...

Oh yeah, I was just thinking about the scene at the end of Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer when the dog tries to break down the door— we don’t see him, but the force he’s exerting on the door makes him seem huge and massive in relation to the tiny Victoria and Mistofellees, and because all the living animals we see in the film have human faces, I thought he must look like a bodybuilder— like The Rock. Lol maybe most cats have lithe, dancers’ bodies and most dogs are WWE wrestlers?

Quote:
About why Rum Tum Tugger wasn't kidnapped: In the stage show, Rum Tum Tugger sings "Mr. Mestoffelees," so usually he needs to be there to sing. Maybe Hooper didn't want to change him to a kidnapped cat? :?

But in the musical, isn’t Old Deuteronomy the only one who gets kidnapped? I know the other cats sort of “disappear” in a sense, but in actuality they just change into a different costumes and rejoin the ensemble, right? I don’t know... I get that he usually sings Mr M’s song, but he didn’t in the movie and he was definitely in the running to be the Jellicle choice so I don’t know why Macavity picked up all the other cats’ with big solos and not him lol...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:06 am 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Hooper says some stuff about them being human cats. So the blend of the human and cat was totally intentional... but I think that is way too literal of a take.

Oh. It is his movie, so honestly if that's how he sees the Jellicles, that's how he sees them.

UmbrellaFish wrote:
In a way, this movie version reminded me of one of the strange children’s fantasy movies from the 80’s/90’s that I grew up watching on HBO... I wonder if this film will have a legacy with kids....

Yeah, we grew up with some crazy stuff (Anjelica Huston in "The Witches" absolutely scarred me for life, though :p), so I guess some fairly inoffensive people-cats isn't the worst that a child could see. :p

UmbrellaFish wrote:
most dogs are WWE wrestlers?

That makes sense! :lol:

UmbrellaFish wrote:
But in the musical, isn’t Old Deuteronomy the only one who gets kidnapped? I know the other cats sort of “disappear” in a sense, but in actuality they just change into a different costumes and rejoin the ensemble, right? I don’t know... I get that he usually sings Mr M’s song, but he didn’t in the movie and he was definitely in the running to be the Jellicle choice so I don’t know why Macavity picked up all the other cats’ with big solos and not him lol...

I gotcha. Yeah, they do just rejoin the ensemble. I wasn't thinking in the sense that RTT is Macavity's competition. Maybe RTT hooks Macavity up with some milk at the bar and he was doing him a solid? :lol: I really don't know; I wonder if it was oversight?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

The Honest Trailer is out!
https://youtu.be/9uPq-o1A0po

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

My Blu-ray came today! So, sometimes during the movie (especially during "Skimbleshanks"), the sound would get softer and then get louder. I asked my husband if it could be the soundbar, and he said no, but I said should we return the movie if it's defective, he said no. So, UmbrellaFish, did your Blu do that?

And also, one of my dogs, Trixi, tends to growl when we watch videos with dogs and cats, and she was growling through this movie!!! Which I think the animators and VFX artists should take as a compliment! :)

I was so happy to see the film again. While I didn't listen to the audio commentary, I watched all the other bonus features. My husband was surprised at how little makeup/costuming the actors/dancers had; I told him the rest was digital fur!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Hmmm.... I didn’t notice anything like that with my copy’s sound. I watch everything with subtitles and keep the volume low in general, so I think I would have noticed? I don’t have a sound bar or anything though.

Actually there was something kinda weird about my copy— when you put in the disc and it goes to the menu, the bonus feature menu is already displayed even though the cursor is on the “Play Movie” option. Is your copy like that? It doesn’t affect the way my disc works or anything but I thought it was kinda weird and wondered if yours was like that, too?

Quote:
And also, one of my dogs, Trixi, tends to growl when we watch videos with dogs and cats, and she was growling through this movie!!! Which I think the animators and VFX artists should take as a compliment! :)

Aww that’s sweet! I bet she nearly had a conniption with all the cats on screen! My grandparents’ had a dog who would do the same thing. I always thought it was cool how she could recognize a “dog” be it a real one like Lassie or an animated/anthro one like Brian Griffin.

I’m glad you got your copy and were able to do a rewatch!!! I’ve been excited to read your thoughts! I’m probably going to watch mine again after I finish The Nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:13 am 
Platinum Edition

Yes, mine also had the bonus menu displayed the whole time on the menu. So phew! I watch most things with captions on, too, but the sound still on at a good level. If there weren't the virus, maybe I'd return it, but I already felt that I was hassling Amazon employees by ordering a Blu during all this...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:55 am 
Platinum Edition

So...I Amazon Primed this...and...I liked it. I actually truly liked it. Is it a bad movie? Yeah. But I liked it. I guess that's the definition of a guilty pleasure. The main reason I liked it was probably because the original musical still shown through, but I also really liked the sets, some acting, and the plot points.

These should have been fully CGI cats with facial expressions, not the human/cat hybrid that Hooper took literally. I agree UmbrellaFish, the stage show intends them to be real cats! I agree with a lot of what you and blackcauldron85 said, like I thought I'd get used to the designs, too, but no, and they are a big reason why the movie is bad.

Ian McKellan was indeed totally committed and great in the role, except for his singing. Jason Derulo can sang, damn! I liked him. I liked Idris Elba as McCavity, sometimes he was rather good. Victoria was actually pretty good. I didn't mind Rebel Wilson and James Cordon acting-wise, it's just they were given so much dumb slapstick. I thought Jennifer Hudson was soooo miscast. She was crying really well but I did not buy her at all in that role. I wish Deuteronomy had stayed a guy, despite Judi Dench always being good acting-wise. I loved Mistoffelees. Very good acting-wise. He was my favorite character. I also loved Munkustrap, who was my favorite character in the original filmed show. I thought the plot additions were great! Definitely succeeded in making more of a plot in my opinion. Though, yes UmbrellaFish, they messed up with Rum Tum Tugger not getting catnapped.

I feel like the human feet matched the human hands and thus was actually more sensical than paws. They would be only partially-pawed if they made their feet paws.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:46 am 
Platinum Edition

I'm glad you liked it!!! I have gotten used to the designs, but I still with they had cat noses! You make sense by saying feet match hands, but of course I'd prefer 4 paws! I remember seeing it the first time, being surprised they had whiskers, so I'm still grateful for that artistic choice.
I agree about Ian McKellan + Jason DeRulo. I think that all the actors and dancers gave their all, because I think they all were fabulous.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:20 am 
Platinum Edition

Yay, I'm glad you said all that! I would have thought whiskers were a no-brainer though. Without them they would hardly resemble cats!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:17 pm 
Limited Edition

farerb wrote:
Lindsay Ellis video on Cats:
https://youtu.be/G6iqAip-ZNo

Honestly I do agree with a lot that she said of the movie itself, and while I think Hollywood should keep doing musical film adaptations of stage musicals, the industry should at least be aware of the source material they're adapting before going full force with it. Plus I'm going to be the one to say that I personally thought the movie was quite bad but in a highly enjoyable way with a moment of two of really memorable moments ("Memory" springs to my mind).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:48 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, great video by Lindsay Ellis. But I agree with Musical Master, musical movies with realism can still be a great thing, like The Sound of Music or West Side Story for crying out loud!

But that video had an AMAZING comment, check it:
roymallard wrote:
I don't know why everyone is saying Cats was bad.
They played it on my flight home and there were only two walkouts.

rotfl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next