A Twisted Tale (Book Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: A Twisted Tale (Book Series)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote: What kind of awful people say that?!! Anyway, yes I can see how it does fit with the criticism, but I also see it as a logical step. I guess it flows naturally enough for me. Though I suppose you could say it does not fit her character from the first film who never left? I guess I see it as after a while, you have finally had enough and must leave? If you still don't think it fits her character, see what I say below.

As for the awareness of magic in the kingdom, you are completely right, but I find this whole series rather far from how the original films really are so I guess I would still enjoy this "wrong" and "what if" story?
You'd be surprised at how much criticism Cinderella gets online and even from professional critics. When I took a fairytale class, the Disney Cinderella was screened for us, and many people were pleasantly surprised because they didn't realize how strong her character was. They just relied on their memories from when they first saw the film in their childhoods or from how Cinderella is portrayed in the DP franchise. But many of these naysayers mentioned how they couldn't understand why Cinderella wouldn't just leave and find employment as a maid or seamstress. They felt either she deserved to be abused then because she was "obviously" a doormat who willingly took the abuse or that clearly she wasn't really being mistreated after all since "it wasn't bad enough for her to leave." Nevermind, that in the Victorian era (not to mention even many places today) women, and especially unmarried women, didn't really have the means to just pack up and go. I really hate when people subject these classic characters to modern-day values that often don't even apply.

That's true. From what I've read of the previous books, almost all of them heavily diverge from the original films, even in general characterization for the main princesses and princes.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Ohhh ok. I am glad that people really thought the character was strong when they saw the movie. But even though she was strong, they still criticised her about staying? In the Victorian age, I do not know if Cinderella could have gotten out and had a better life than the one she had. I guess I don't know enough.

Yes, these books even seem to change characters, from what I've read!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Some people's impressions of Cinderella changed for the better after watching the movie but a few weren't really won over and kept touting Merida, Elsa, and ironically enough Maleficent herself as better real models. In that regard, it wasn't just Cinderella they were criticizing but all the classic princesses including the 90s ones and sorta Rapunzel too. Moana had just come out so I guess she was too new for anyone to mention as role model material. Luckily there were a few people who had sense enough to explain that Cinderella couldn't just leave her house back in that day and easily find employment or shelter. I'm not sure how feasible or realistic it would have been but it's awful imo to victim shame someone.

That's why I haven't bothered with these books. I'm still curious about the Snow White one and the plotline but sadly I don't think anyone here has read it to talk about it.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok that's interesting. Yes, it's awful to victim shame anyone.

The Snow White book sounds interesting to me, too, but I would want Snow White's character kept the same. I heard she differs but if it's kind of a natural change, like she has to save her prince out of love and kindness, I think it makes sense.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I heard people say what you said about Snow White's character change so that doesn't bother me as much. But The Little Mermaid book in particular, I remember reading that there was a lot of flack directed towards how the characters just felt off and the plotline didn't mesh well with the original film. Beauty and the Beast got this as well to a lesser extent especially with Maurice's backstory.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Ok. Hm. Well if I read Cinderella's I'll let you know how it is.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q&A with Straight On Til Morning: A Twisted Tale Author Liz Braswell
https://d23.com/qa-with-straight-on-til ... -braswell/

Q&A with So This Is Love: A Twisted Tale Author Elizabeth Lim
https://d23.com/qa-with-the-author-of-s ... a-twisted/

Q&A with Unbirthday: A Twisted Tale Author Liz Braswell
https://d23.com/exclusive-unbirthday-a- ... author-qa/

Q&A with Go the Distance: A Twisted Tale Author Jen Calonita
https://d23.com/this-twisted-tales-auth ... -distance/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The next entry in the series is Alice in Wonderland.
What if Wonderland was in peril and Alice was very, very late?

Alice is different than other eighteen-year-old ladies in Kexford, which is perfectly fine with her. She’d rather spend golden afternoons with her trusty camera or in her aunt Vivian’s lively salon, ignoring her sister’s wishes that she stop all that “nonsense” and become a “respectable” member of society. Alice is happy to meander to Miss. Yao's teashop or to visit the children playing in the Square. She’s also interested in learning more about the young lawyer she met there, but just because she’s curious, of course, not because he was sweet and charming.

But when Alice develops photographs she has recently taken about town, familiar faces of old suddenly appear in the place of her actual subjects—the Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter, the Caterpillar. There’s something eerily off about them, even for Wonderland creatures. And as Alice develops a self-portrait, she finds the most disturbing image of all—a badly-injured dark-haired girl asking for Alice’s help. Mary Ann. Returning to the place of nonsense from her childhood, Alice finds herself on a mission to stop the Queen of Hearts’ tyrannical rule and to find her place in both worlds. But will she able to do so... before the End of Time?
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Unbirthday-Twist ... 484781317/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

A lot of this sounds like the live-action film which is a pity but most Alice in Wonderland spin-offs these days try to make Wonderland out to be some dystopian fantasy kingdom that requires a young heroine to liberate the masses.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Read a Sneak Peek of So This Is Love, A “Twisted Tale” on the Story of Cinderella
https://d23.com/exclusive-read-a-sneak- ... inderella/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I read it out of curiosity. I have no plans to buy any more of the books. So they named the Fairy Godmother Lenore... I do like the author decided to explore the reality for a woman in those days, if Cinderella had tried to run away.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Read the First Chapter of Conceal, Don’t Feel: A Twisted Tale Inspired by Frozen
https://d23.com/exclusive-read-the-firs ... by-frozen/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:Read a Sneak Peek of So This Is Love, A “Twisted Tale” on the Story of Cinderella
https://d23.com/exclusive-read-a-sneak- ... inderella/
Hm. Thanks for the link. It's an interesting read. I may buy it someday.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:Read the First Chapter of Conceal, Don’t Feel: A Twisted Tale Inspired by Frozen
https://d23.com/exclusive-read-the-firs ... by-frozen/
*SPOILERS* (putting that there for anyone who cares :lol: ) I suppose they gave Anna away to a peasant family or to the trolls? Sort of a Prince and Pauper story except they aren't identical twins maybe? And Elsa doesn't even know she has powers. That's a little bizarre. I get the idea of giving Anna away because of what happened when they were children and Elsa having her memory completely wiped, but how is she supposed to keep it secret if she doesn't know how important it is to control her emotions?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The next entry in the series is Hercules.
What if Meg had the chance to become a god?

After Hercules proves he's a true hero and regains his godship, all seems right in the world. That is, until Zeus tells Meg that she can't be with Hercules because she's, well, mortal. Luckily, Hera has a solution, offering Meg a chance to prove herself worthy of a spot on Mt. Olympus--as a god. All Meg has to do is complete a mysterious quest.

The mission? Oh, just to rescue her ex's current wife from the Underworld. The ex-boyfriend she saved by selling her soul to Hades. The ex-boyfriend who immediately moved on to someone else while she was stuck in the Underworld. Can Meg put her past behind her and use her quick-wit to defeat monsters and gods alike, including the nefarious Hades? Will she finally figure out her place and contribution to the world? Or will her fear of commitment have her running away from an eternity of godhood with Herc?
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Go-Distance-Twis ... 1368063802
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

That actually sounds like a book I’d want to read, the first one to actually pique my interest beyond the cover art haha. It always bothered me that Herc had to choose between Olympus and Meg at the end.

I wonder if her ex is Orpheus?
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I really like the idea here, of Megara earning her own way to be with Hercules and also resolution of her history. If they're going to write something, that's the best way to go about it. I didn't open the link--is there a cover for the Hercules one yet?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually bought "So This is Love" and am currently reading it! I am very interested so far! Is it my bias? Or is it actually good? I don't know, I just know it's keeping me interested!
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

Sotiris wrote:The next entry in the series is Hercules.
What if Meg had the chance to become a god?

After Hercules proves he's a true hero and regains his godship, all seems right in the world. That is, until Zeus tells Meg that she can't be with Hercules because she's, well, mortal. Luckily, Hera has a solution, offering Meg a chance to prove herself worthy of a spot on Mt. Olympus--as a god. All Meg has to do is complete a mysterious quest.

The mission? Oh, just to rescue her ex's current wife from the Underworld. The ex-boyfriend she saved by selling her soul to Hades. The ex-boyfriend who immediately moved on to someone else while she was stuck in the Underworld. Can Meg put her past behind her and use her quick-wit to defeat monsters and gods alike, including the nefarious Hades? Will she finally figure out her place and contribution to the world? Or will her fear of commitment have her running away from an eternity of godhood with Herc?
I can't find anything online, do you have a source?
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I actually bought "So This is Love" and am currently reading it! I am very interested so far! Is it my bias? Or is it actually good? I don't know, I just know it's keeping me interested!
Please share what you've liked so far from the book and if they included any interesting information about the characters and their history.
ImageImage