Inside Out 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Inside Out 2

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:42 pmI'm so glad Mindy Kaling isn't back for Inside Out 2 after Velma.
Why? I know Velma is getting horrible reviews, but there's a difference between being an executive producer and being just a voice actor on a project. I doubt she would have had any creative input on Inside Out 2 had she returned.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:34 pmI'm surprised PIXAR isn't being raked over the coals for refusing to pay a Muslim actress what she's worth. The misogyny, racism, and Islamophobia of it all.
Mindy isn't Muslim; she's Hindu. Pixar refused to pay a white guy the amount of money he wanted too. Maybe that's why people feel they can't claim double standard in this case.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thank you for correcting me about her being Hindu. :) Good point on the other stuff. It was just as wrong they did that to Hader, too, imo, but Kaling can't help but have that extra layer baked in there because of PIXAR's long history of things they've done over the years between Lasseter, Brenda Chapman, the first main female character coming 20-some years in (they don't even have the excuse of having started in the '30s in another time like WDAS does), etc. Sort of the way the re-casts of Chicken Run--aside from Mel Gibson, who they would've had justifiable reasons to exclude--reek of a combo of ageism and sexism.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

When it comes to “Inside Out 2,” the follow-up to Docter’s own “Inside Out” (this time directed by “Onward” head of story Kelsey Mann), the reason that they wanted to do it was to explore new emotions. When researching the first film, Docter said, they were told that there were between “five to 27 emotions” and that with the sequel they’re trying to “be a little bit more truthful and broadening [the scope].” Mann brought Docter the idea for a follow-up, which Docter didn’t reveal.

“It was really poignant and very heartfelt, very personal to him, but also universal in that same way we were talking about before, having to do with… well, again, I don’t want to pitch his movie, but it’s got a real great heart to it, a really great core that is central to some of these new emotions showing up. It’s all connected,” Docter said.
https://www.thewrap.com/pete-docter-int ... y-story-5/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

What does "more truthful" suppose to mean?
Disney's Divinity

I took that to mean they wanted to be honest that more than those 5 emotions (even keeping in mind that they can combine together) would characterize everything a human being can feel. I suppose this is why they didn't feel bad letting original voice actors go, because they already plan to introduce (and focus primarily on) new characters / emotions. That seemed like a natural direction from the first film, that maybe new emotions / worldbuilding comes into play once a person enters puberty.

The only snare is they often show the emotions in other characters' heads, too, in the first film, and there are only the standard five for them, too... Perhaps the new characters could be temporary ones, that only last during the puberty phase, but go away as a person matures?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

New emotions could also reside in other places of the body. Kind of like on a ship, there's the bridge but also engineering. As certain situations come up another area can overpower the head. Thinking about being accused of "thinking with my stomach" for example. As Riley goes into adulthood other areas start to take over.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Dunno if the source is credible but it looks like Fear and Digust really won’t be in the movie. I thought they could be replaced by new voice actors but in this article, it seems that Pixar will be replacing them with the new emotions listed here:

*Envy
*Ennui
*Embarassment
*Anxiety
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

MoonMarc21 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:00 am Dunno if the source is credible but it looks like Fear and Digust really won’t be in the movie. I thought they could be replaced by new voice actors but in this article, it seems that Pixar will be replacing them with the new emotions listed here:

*Envy
*Ennui
*Embarassment
*Anxiety
Let’s wait til we see the trailer. They could be in it, just voiced by different actors, and the article just read the tweet wrong.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

So Fear and Disgust are in the movie after all, albeit with new voice actors playing them in Tony Hale (whom you'd know as Forky from Toy Story 4) as Fear and Liza Lapira as Disgust.

Also, Maya Hawke announced to voice a new emotion character in Anxiety.

And here is the first teaser poster featuring Anxiety and the three other new emotions Embarrsement, Ennui & Envy: https://twitter.com/PixarInsideOut/stat ... 9310184518
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I’m in. This looks excellent.

Anxiety is the most relatable emotion of the decade obviously. Reactions I’m reading online are positive as well.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I think the movie looks good too. Here's some more info and a couple of stills:
The little voices inside Riley’s head know her inside and out—but next summer, everything changes when Disney and Pixar’s Inside Out 2 introduces a new Emotion: Anxiety. According to director Kelsey Mann, the new character promises to stir things up within headquarters. “Anxiety, voiced by Maya Hawke, might be new to the crew, but she’s not really the type to take a back seat,” says Mann. “That makes a lot of sense if you think about it in terms of what goes on inside all our minds.”

Disney and Pixar’s Inside Out 2 returns to the mind of newly minted teenager Riley just as headquarters is undergoing a sudden demolition to make room for something entirely unexpected: new Emotions! Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust—who’ve long been running a successful operation by all accounts—aren’t sure how to feel when Anxiety shows up. And it looks like she’s not alone.

Hawke lends her voice to Anxiety, alongside Amy Poehler as Joy, Phyllis Smith as Sadness, Lewis Black as Anger, Tony Hale as Fear, and Liza Lapira as Disgust. Directed by Mann and produced by Mark Nielsen, Disney and Pixar’s Inside Out 2 releases only in theaters Summer 2024.
Source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney ... 2-trailer/

WHO'S THERE? – In Disney and Pixar's "Inside Out 2," Joy (voice of Amy Poehler), Sadness (voice of Phyllis Smith), Anger (voice of Lewis Black), Fear (voice of Tony Hale) and Disgust (voice of Liza Lapira) aren't sure how to feel when Anxiety (voice of Maya Hawke) shows up unexpectedly.

MEET ANXIETY — Disney and Pixar's "Inside Out 2" returns to the mind of newly minted teenager Riley just as a new Emotion shows up unexpectedly. And Anxiety, voiced by Maya Hawke, isn't the type of Emotion who will take a back seat either.
Source: https://bleedingcool.com/movies/inside- ... w-emotion/

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:24 am So Fear and Disgust are in the movie after all, albeit with new voice actors playing them in Tony Hale (whom you'd know as Forky from Toy Story 4) as Fear and Liza Lapira as Disgust.
It's a shame the characters won't have the same voices, but I'm glad they're still in the movie. It wouldn't make sense if they suddenly weren't in it.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Ngl, when I was first reacting to the teaser, I was scared, not because of the quality of the movie, but because of the chaos going on, like why are the “brain cells” destroying headquarters and leaving it like that?! 😭 Very intriguing I must say.

Also, I got thrown off by how weird-looking Anxiety is but so far, I like her/their design, very muppet-like in the same vein as Fear or Anger and I’m so relieved Fear and Disgust were just simply recast and not removed entirely from the film.

I’m so hyped to see what’s going to happen, love to see more of the film and the new emotions’ full designs, can’t wait :D
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Intrigued by Maya Hawke's involvement, but I'm still not sold.

The first film made it pretty clear that everyone was ruled by five emotions. Everyone. Even adults who have already gone through puberty. This we know because we also peeked into the heads of other characters like the mother and father and saw that they hadn't acquired any new emotions that Riley didn't have. Pixar trying to throw us for a loop by claiming this is organic worldbuilding reminds me of how they rationalized around Mike's "You've been jealous of my looks since the fourth grade, pal" for Monsters U, except this is way worse.

The new emotions also land too closely to the existing ones to feel meaningfully different. Anxiety just feels like an offshoot of fear. Even ennui is like a few shades lighter off disgust or anger. (Also can't help but feel like they're reaching by recruiting something like "ennui" next to basic emotions like joy and sadness.)

I'll show all my cards and acknowledge that I still haven't really forgiven Pixar for their decade of sequels, and that is absolutely tainting my perspective at least to some degree, but I still have specific concerns about this film, so I think I'll just bide my time until Elio.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Inside Out 2’ Garners Biggest Animated Trailer Launch in Disney History
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/inside ... er-record/
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:45 am Intrigued by Maya Hawke's involvement, but I'm still not sold.

The first film made it pretty clear that everyone was ruled by five emotions. Everyone. Even adults who have already gone through puberty. This we know because we also peeked into the heads of other characters like the mother and father and saw that they hadn't acquired any new emotions that Riley didn't have. Pixar trying to throw us for a loop by claiming this is organic worldbuilding reminds me of how they rationalized around Mike's "You've been jealous of my looks since the fourth grade, pal" for Monsters U, except this is way worse.

The new emotions also land too closely to the existing ones to feel meaningfully different. Anxiety just feels like an offshoot of fear. Even ennui is like a few shades lighter off disgust or anger. (Also can't help but feel like they're reaching by recruiting something like "ennui" next to basic emotions like joy and sadness.)

I'll show all my cards and acknowledge that I still haven't really forgiven Pixar for their decade of sequels, and that is absolutely tainting my perspective at least to some degree, but I still have specific concerns about this film, so I think I'll just bide my time until Elio.
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some of your concerns maybe what the movie is actually going to be about? :-)

Maybe, just maybe, there’s a reason why those other new emotions have not shown up in other peoples heads……Maybe they are gone, maybe they are the next Bing Bong or the next Hopper, If you know what I mean…… :-)
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I have to say, I am pretty excited about this... looks great so far.

As far as the new emotions and their continuity... they could be the temporary emotions that show up during puberty... and then go away as we settle into adulthood. The console changed at the end of the last movie, odds are it would change again when we become adults.

There is room to play here (logic wise), while still making sense.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The teaser was alright. Aside from the recasting which I'm always against, my only gripe is that the character design of Anxiety doesn't match her voice/performance.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Inside Out 2’ Garners Biggest Animated Trailer Launch in Disney History
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/inside ... er-record/
Disney's Divinity

I found the teaser intriguing. IO was one of the few PIXAR films I liked. I'm still annoyed by Hader and Kaling being pushed out, but I suppose those characters will be backgrounded after 10 minutes of the film for the new emotions, I guess. The new character looked cute, I also thought the Muppets. I wonder if it will be just Joy with that character, and if Sadness will have a smaller role this time?