Disney Buys Fox

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Buys Fox

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Big Disney Fan wrote:I may have mentioned this before on this thread, but in case I haven't...

Seeing as how Jim Henson, George Lucas and Stan Lee all became Disney Legends, does this mean that Darryl F. Zanuck will become a Disney Legend, too?
That or Rupert Murdoch and/or Alan Ladd Jr. :P

We're nearing the home stretch, just 3 days left!

But there's still the matter of how Fox employees will brace themselves for the merger:
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/fox- ... 203154866/

Also, because of the merger, Iger is taking a major pay cut:
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246784 ... fox-merger
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:I may have mentioned this before on this thread, but in case I haven't...

Seeing as how Jim Henson, George Lucas and Stan Lee all became Disney Legends, does this mean that Darryl F. Zanuck will become a Disney Legend, too?
That or Rupert Murdoch and/or Alan Ladd Jr. :P
I really hope none of that is the case!
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Iger says deal is closing "soon":
https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/disne ... 203157336/

Mexico will make their decision Monday:
https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/11 ... 3294167042
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

It will all be over in eight days, says Deadline.com:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/disney-set ... 202574146/
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I just hope it doesn't mean bad news for Blue Sky Studios, and that they are allowed to complete at least Nimona. If Disney doesn't want another animation studio, they should sell it to someone else instead of shutting it down.

Nimona is meant to be released on February 14 next year. That's 11 months away. When Disney decided to shut down Disneytoon Studios on June 28 2018, the Planes spin-off movie was meant to be released on April 12 2019, just nine and a half months away (and a lot of time, effort and money had already been invested in it). I don't know about other studios, but at Pixar it may take years to make a feature, but actual animation and rendering only takes 6-8 months.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I just hope it doesn't mean bad news for Blue Sky Studios, and that they are allowed to complete at least Nimona. If Disney doesn't want another animation studio, they should sell it to someone else instead of shutting it down.
Disney did announce they were bringing over the heads of Fox Animation to continue running that part of Fox, which includes Blue Sky. Disney bought Fox for their library, so to sell Blue Sky, but keep the rights to Scrat and their other characters would be like when Charles Mintz fired Walt Disney, but kept the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I just hope they don't massively change the X-Men like they did with Spiderman because they felt smug and wanted to make "something different" from previous iterations of the character.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I just hope they don't massively change the X-Men like they did with Spiderman because they felt smug and wanted to make "something different" from previous iterations of the character.
I don't see an issue with massively changing the X-Men, since the Fox rendition of the team barely has anything in common with the comic version. Most likely they'll go for 90s nostalgia and use that team, or at least the 70s-80s All-New All-Different team since most of the core X-Men stories occurred then. Whatever ends up including Jean is fine with me.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

estefan wrote:Disney did announce they were bringing over the heads of Fox Animation to continue running that part of Fox, which includes Blue Sky. Disney bought Fox for their library, so to sell Blue Sky, but keep the rights to Scrat and their other characters would be like when Charles Mintz fired Walt Disney, but kept the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
Hopefully that means the studio is safe for now. I'm not sure if it can be compared with the Disney and Mintz thing. Those were very different times. I don't think Blue Sky would be able to survive on its own, they would need another major studio to buy them (or one of the streaming giants). No matter what they decide to do; everything is better than just shutting the studio down.
thedisneyspirit wrote:I just hope they don't massively change the X-Men like they did with Spiderman because they felt smug and wanted to make "something different" from previous iterations of the character.
People have very different opinions about that. Some love the Fox version of the X-Men universe, others don't. Personally I wouldn't mind a complete reboot, and make sure everyone was told to call the security should they see Bryan Singer in the area. But that's just me.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I'm just glad the original 6 Star Wars are still staying together. In a way, now they'll still be with Fox.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

estefan wrote:Disney did announce they were bringing over the heads of Fox Animation to continue running that part of Fox, which includes Blue Sky. Disney bought Fox for their library, so to sell Blue Sky, but keep the rights to Scrat and their other characters would be like when Charles Mintz fired Walt Disney, but kept the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
I really want Disney to keep Blue Sky and let it develop its own slate. If they were to shutter it ( :( ), it would be particularly heart-breaking as the studio has only just now started working on a series of original films and not constant Ice Age sequels. I am looking forward to its upcoming films too. Fingers crossed Nimona will be completed!

The fate of Blue Sky Studios is something that interests me a lot. Please keep discussing it guys. :wink:
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I don't think you'll have to worry about Blue Sky going anywhere. Fox is still going to be a separate imprint, Fox Animation is still running, and even Disney knows Fox needs an animation studio of their own. Blue Sky is like the Pixar of Fox.

My point is, you don't have to worry about Blue Sky ever being demolished.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/834535/2 ... ing-shares

"PR Newswire

NEW YORK and BURBANK, Calif., March 18, 2019

NEW YORK and BURBANK, Calif., March 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. ("21CF") (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) and The Walt Disney Company ("Disney") (NYSE: DIS) announced today that the distribution adjustment multiple used to determine the portion of each share of 21CF common stock to be exchanged for common stock of Fox Corporation ("FOX") in the Distribution (as defined below) (the "Distribution Adjustment Multiple"), has been calculated to be approximately 1.357190, in accordance with the Amended and Restated Agreement and Plan of Merger (the "Merger Agreement"), dated as of June 20, 2018, by and among 21CF, Disney, TWDC Holdco 613 Corp., the holding company that will own both Disney and 21CF following the completion of the transactions contemplated thereby, and certain of Disney's other subsidiaries.

21CF expects to distribute, at approximately 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time tomorrow, all issued and outstanding shares of FOX common stock to 21CF stockholders (other than holders of the shares held by subsidiaries of 21CF) on a pro rata basis (the "Distribution"). Pursuant to the Amended and Restated Distribution Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of June 20, 2018, by and between 21CF and 21CF Distribution Merger Sub, Inc., and because the Distribution Adjustment Multiple is approximately 1.357190, 0.263183 of each share of 21CF common stock held at the time of the Distribution will be exchanged for 1/3 of one share of FOX common stock of the same class, and holders will receive cash in lieu of any fractional share of FOX common stock they otherwise would have been entitled to receive in connection with the Distribution. Following the completion of the Distribution, holders will continue to own 0.736817 of each such share of 21CF common stock, which will remain issued and outstanding until 21CF merges with a subsidiary of Disney (the "Acquisition"). The 0.736817 of each share of 21CF common stock remaining outstanding following the Distribution will be exchanged for the amount of consideration in the Acquisition that a whole share of 21CF common stock would have been exchanged for before giving effect to the Distribution, because the consideration that holders will receive in the Acquisition is automatically adjusted pursuant to the Merger Agreement to take the Distribution into account by multiplying the value of such consideration by the Distribution Adjustment Multiple.

As previously announced, 21CF and Disney anticipate the effectiveness of the Acquisition to occur at 12:02 a.m. Eastern Time on March 20, 2019."
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Murdoch sends a "Thank You" to the staff:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... se-1195706

Official press release from Fox on the merger:
https://www.21cf.com/news/21st-century- ... quisition/

One more day to go.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

The Walt Disney Company's ('Disney') acquisition of 21CF will become effective at 12:02 a.m. Eastern Time tomorrow, March 20, 2019.
I see. Not 12:01 a.m. or 12:03 a.m., but 12:02 a.m. Now when it is practically over, it remains to see what impact the acquisition will have in the longer run. In the era of streaming content is everything, and a lot of streaming giants really want to add Paramount's and Columbia Pictures' movie libraries to their own list. It wouldn't be surprising if Comcast made an attempt for a hostile takeover again. AT&T is perhaps to big already to be allowed to buy more studios, and a studio is not cheap, especially not if you have just bought Warner. Maybe Amazon could make an attempt.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

AND NOW IT'S OFFICIAL! FOX IS NOW WITH DISNEY!!!!!

Time to celebrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTgx_pj6m8
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

So hyped! Welcome to the Disney family, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Star Wars: A New Hope, Avatar, Anastasia, etc.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The official website for The Walt Disney Company has updated their header.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The only thing I want from this is a proper HD restoration for Buffy and a Blu-ray release.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

So I noticed that on the Disney Wiki site, some posters are wasting no time putting up pages related to Fox media (The Simpsons, Ice Age, etc.). There's even a page already on Marilyn Monroe who has appeared in several Fox movies in the 1950s. Other posters, however, are leaving comments on their pages that basically argue they shouldn't be on the Disney Wiki site and should be deleted.

My take on it is that I'm kind of inclined to agree with those leaving the comments, that they shouldn't be so anxious to post all that Fox material on the Disney Wiki site - at least not all at once. They should probably take things a little slower, I think. Mind you, that's just my take on this.

I also can't help but wonder how Walt Disney would react to his company now owning so many studios and media outlets left and right. I don't think he would be too pleased.