Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by Disney's Divinity »

As someone who's seen the film, I don't mind Searcher's design. He looks cute at times; although I'm generally not fond of the aesthetic of this film and hope it's just a one-off film in this vein, not an aesthetic they repeat. Searcher makes me think more of a 3D equivalent to some of the Mary Blair-influenced films (the Queen of Hearts, Mad Hatter, the Caterpillar, Anastasia, Mr. Smee, etc.). LeFou looks more pig-like.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Strange World's streaming performance according to Nielsen.
Top 10 Streaming Movies (December 19—25)

01. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
02. Home Alone
03. How The Grinch Stole Christmas
04. Elf
05. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
06. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
07. The Volcano: Rescue From Whakaari
08. Strange World
09. A Christmas Story
10. It's a Wonderful Life
Source: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/glass- ... 235495283/
Top 10 Streaming Movies (December 26—January 1)

02. Matilda: The Musical
03. Strange World
04. The Invitation
05. Trolls
06. Avatar
07. White Noise
08. Bullet Train
09. Encanto
10. Black Adam
Source: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/yellow ... 235504619/
Top 10 Streaming Movies (January 2—8)

02. The Pale Blue Eye
03. The Menu
04. Jurassic World: Dominion
05. Strange World
06. Matilda: The Musical
07. White Noise
08. Encanto
09. Trolls
10. Avatar
Source: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/ginny- ... 235511013/
Top 10 Streaming Movies (January 9—15)

01. The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
02. The Pale Blue Eye
03. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
04. Jurassic World: Dominion
05. Dog Gone
06. The Menu
07. Encanto
08. Strange World
09. Trolls
10. Matilda: The Musical
Source: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/nielse ... 235518322/
Top 10 Streaming Movies (January 16—22)

01. Dog Gone
02. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
03. The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
04. The Menu
05. The Pale Blue Eye
06. Jurassic World: Dominion
07. Encanto
08. Moana
09. Strange World
10. Jung_E
Source: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-la ... 235525250/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

"We had a couple creative misses... one at Pixar, one at Disney Animation. You have to move past that. You have to process failure successfully."

Iger says he recently spent time at Pixar and reviewed several upcoming projects.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I love how Iger never assumes responsibility for anything. As if it wasn't him who introduced and fostered initiatives, policies, and practices that resulted in Disney's decline. No, it was all Chapek's fault who was CEO for a measly two years. :roll:
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Sotiris wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:21 pm I love how Iger never assumes responsibility for anything. As if it wasn't him who introduced and fostered initiatives, policies, and practices that resulted in Disney's decline. No, it was all Chapek's fault who was CEO for a measly two years. :roll:
He is the golden boy after all! :roll:

Except for changes at the parks, because that's where Chapek came from, and short term decision making like marketing, I don't really blame Chapek as much. Some long term projects like Strange World and Lightyear were greenlit by Iger before he left right?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Man, people really don't want this movie. I didn't know that it was available on Blu for a while, usually I don't find out when Disney titles are released until someone on here posts about it. But also, I haven't even seen the film for sale at Target. I only just saw a used copy elsewhere.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Avaitor wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:55 am Man, people really don't want this movie. I didn't know that it was available on Blu for a while, usually I don't find out when Disney titles are released until someone on here posts about it. But also, I haven't even seen the film for sale at Target. I only just saw a used copy elsewhere.
It seems that they planned to release it on 4K widely, but realized that this film wouldn't have a high demand and made it a DMC exclusive instead so they wouldn't have to produce too many copies.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Farerb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:00 am
Avaitor wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:55 am Man, people really don't want this movie. I didn't know that it was available on Blu for a while, usually I don't find out when Disney titles are released until someone on here posts about it. But also, I haven't even seen the film for sale at Target. I only just saw a used copy elsewhere.
It seems that they planned to release it on 4K widely, but realized that this film wouldn't have a high demand and made it a DMC exclusive instead so they wouldn't have to produce too many copies.
Oh wow, that's the case? Right when I lost access to my DMC account, too. I think having to use a separate email for that vs my other Disney accounts has caused some issues.

I wanted to try to fix this so I can order the new Cinderella 4K, but I'm between jobs and can't afford to spend much on entertainment. Still, I think I need to make an exception for these.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Strange World
Walt Disney Animation
Total Loss: -$152.4M

It’s not enough to say that original animation is a challenge at the box office when it comes to Strange World‘s failure. The movie centered on a family of explorers, the Clades, as they attempt to navigate an uncharted, treacherous land alongside a motley crew that includes a mischievous blob, a three-legged dog and a slew of ravenous creatures. Some might say Disney’s embrace of a gay character in the film turned off red-state audiences, while critics found the fantasy pic to be clunky and incomprehensible, and the animation retro and stale. Disney nonetheless supported the movie with a full theatrical release and dated it during their traditional five-day Thanksgiving launchpad, where it saw a record-low start for a Disney Animation title during that frame with $18.8M. Disney knew the goods were soured and had Strange World on Disney+ a month later, by December 23. Disney has done better in their first go-rounds with original IP in Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia. However, one thing is clear: post-pandemic, it is getting whipped at the box office by Illumination with Minions: Rise of Gru and The Super Mario Bros Movie.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/biggest-bo ... 235325138/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Ridiculously unfair to blame “red state” audiences when Strange World bombed in all 50 states -red AND blue. It was a flop in the rest of the world, too.
blackcauldron85

Re: Florida

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Florida Teacher Being Investigated by State Department of Education After Showing Disney’s ‘Strange World’ in Fifth Grade Classroom
https://wdwnt.com/?p=921126
Disney's Divinity

Re: Florida

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I saw that. Very frightening.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: LGBT Disney

Post by Jules »

Felt I should share this here.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-fil ... 28878.html

I am no liberal, but this is blooming ridiculous.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It’s scary! My only hope is that things in Florida will change for the better.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

According to Screen Rant, Strange World is the #7 biggest box office flop of all time.

20 Biggest Box Office Bombs Of All Time
https://screenrant.com/biggest-movie-bo ... -all-time/
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Just like Raya, I was excited and intrigued when Disney first shown concept art of Strange World back in late 2021. Hearing that it was gonna be an adventure movie inspired by old pulp magazines, I was trilled that WDAS was taking on a sci-fi tale similar to Atlantis and Treasure Planet. And ngl, the first teaser for the movie was immersive as heck! It really leaned into the old timey adventure story they were telling and I literally gasped when I saw how the main characters looked! They were in a different style! :D

And when the movie released, it was…okay, enjoyable like Raya, but needed a few adjustments to make it the Disney sci-fi classic it needs to be. The positives I’ll give is that the worldbuilding just like Raya was so good. Avalonia and the “Strange World” are beautiful and I want to explore everything in it. I also liked the “Solarpunk” aesthetic the world has, from Avalonia’s buildings to the Venture itself. And the twist, man was it so pulpy!

But the rest…well at least they tried to make a story about father and sons interesting. It didn’t make the stakes high until the near end when we know what Pando truly is. I also wished they pushed hard into the character designs by truly making everyone in the style of the “Franco-Belgian” comics aside from Searcher, Ethan, and Jaeger and some other side characters. Callisto Mal and Meridian look like they’re from another modern Disney movie. I think it would’ve benefited from a character that makes the relationship between the three generations of men strained than it already is and that character would also want to kill the creatures of the “Strange World” to ensure Pando’s safety aside from Callisto herself.

While it’s sad that this movie’s a box office flop like it’s sci-fi predecessors, to me, it’s enjoyable enough and very pretty to look at.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)