Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Untitled Don Hall Film

Post by D82 »

I've just realized we're getting two animated movies from the company which are sci-fi next year: this and Lightyear. There also seem to be other planets in Lightyear (supposing the "strange world" in this movie is another planet). I hope both films are different enough from each other. Anyway, I like sci-fi films and WDAS hasn't made many movies of that genre, so I'm already excited for this one.

Regarding the still, I guess the two characters in it are probably Ethan Clade and Meridian Clade. I wonder if they're father and son or if Meridian is another relative like an uncle, for example. I wish we could see Ethan's face. I like what we can see of him, though, especially his hair. It's incredible it took so long to get a Black male protagonist from the studio. King of the Elves could've been the first if it hadn't been cancelled. The other character's design is not that good, in my opinion. He doesn't seem to be Black, but could still be Ethan's father, since he's biracial. The clothes seem to indicate the film is not set in the past, but either the present or the future, right? The world they're in doesn't look too original or attractive to me, but this is only a concept art; maybe it'll look better in the movie or I'll like other parts of it more.
estefan wrote:Don Hall's remarks also bring to mind Jules Verne's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World."
"Journey to the Centre of the Earth" is the first thing that came to mind to me when I saw the still.
robster16 wrote:It sort of makes me think of an 80's animated series which dealt with explorers who travelled through the human body explaining how it worked etc battling diseases and viruses etc. It was developed in France under the name "Il etait une fois... La vie"
I remember that series. I didn't use to watch it regularly, but I saw some episodes of it as a child. Yeah, I get that vibe a bit too, though I doubt this will take place inside the body.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm guessing the other character is Ethan's half brother and probably the character voiced by Timothée Chalamet.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:I'm guessing the other character is Ethan's half brother and probably the character voiced by Timothée Chalamet.
That didn't occur to me. He looks a bit old to me to be his brother, but maybe it's just the beard.

By the way, one of the new things revealed today was that Qui Nguyen, who co-wrote the screenplay of Raya and the Last Dragon, is not only the screenwriter of this movie, but also the co-director. He also shared some words on Twitter:
Because I clearly love telling stories but hate getting sleep, I’m back writing and now co-directing a new feature at Disney with my dude Don Hall, STRANGE WORLD, our little love letter to pulp adventures and our own families.
Source: https://twitter.com/qui_writes/status/1 ... 2248527876

Also, Disney artist Mehrdad Isvandi announced on Instagram he's the production designer of the film:

Source: https://www.instagram.com/mehrdadisvandi/ (Instagram Stories)
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This actually looks kind of interesting. Love the pulp concept and visual flair. Definitely more intriguing than Encanto.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not getting my hopes up with this. I mean, I feel there is a chance it could be bearable with Chalamet involved and with Jennifer Lee in charge of things now, but WDAS' male-lead films have been very stinky the past decade and that concept art doesn't inspire me to feel this will be different in that regard.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm really excited by this. I really like that image. (I just told my husband that it's sci-fi; he said "Finally. We haven't had one since WALL-E".) And Strange World is SO much better than Searcher Clade, IMO.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

estefan wrote:James Cameron also cited pulp magazines and authors like Edgar Rice Burroughs as a major influence on "Avatar", so if there are similarities, it's because Hall is inspired by the same sorts of stories. Sort of like how "John Carter" brought up comparisons to "Star Wars" and "Avatar", because the original books already inspired those movies before Andrew Stanton made his adaptation.

Don Hall's remarks also bring to mind Jules Verne's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World."
I agree, the whole concept sounds very Edgar Rice Burroughs/John Carter-like.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I wouldn't exactly call it science fiction if it is simply a period story where they discover a new island or something, unless there is alien technology involved like in Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Sounds like the typical lost world genre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_world

Those animals looks like a mix between long necked dinosaurs and Hallucigenia sparsa.

Sadly I never had access to these kind of pulp stories when growing up, but read Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth and rented the 1959 movie. In both the novel and the movie (haven't seen any of the newer adaptations yet) I have always enjoyed it when they walk out of the cave and sees the Lidenbrock Sea for the first time. And when they are crossing this large subterranean sea, encountering prehistoric marine reptiles and ball lightning.

Or the original 1933 King Kong. Would have loved to see it as a child. Skull Island with its matte paintings and models had such a great mood and atmosphere.

If Disney can reproduce some of this in their upcoming feature, I can't see why it shouldn't have the potential to be another blockbuster.
robster16 wrote:It sort of makes me think of an 80's animated series which dealt with explorers who travelled through the human body explaining how it worked etc battling diseases and viruses etc. It was developed in France under the name "Il etait une fois... La vie"
Or the 1966 movie Fantastic Voyage, even if that was live action and not animation. Would have been interesting to see a similar concept where they explore the subatomic world of atoms and molecules. also remember reading a story in a Donald Duck comic where they enter the inside of a plant instead of a human body. So why not plants, algae, protists, bacteria and fungi as well?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:Brief synopsis and some words by the director:
Inspired by the pulp magazines and popular fiction from the first half of the 20th century, this original action-adventure "journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await the legendary Clades, a family of explorers whose differences threaten to topple their latest—and by far— most crucial mission."

“I loved reading the old issues of pulps growing up,” said director Don Hall. “They were big adventures in which a group of explorers might discover a hidden world or ancient creatures. They’ve been a huge inspiration for Strange World.”
Source: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/s ... #gs.idh6zi
Thinking about it a bit and I was wondering if he was inspired by these stories, why not adapting one like how Disney used to do before Wreck-it Ralph.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^probably b/c they have to buy the rights to adapt it like with Tarzan and I think they're done with situations were they dont completely 100 % own the characters/story. Despite Tarzan having been more successful financially than Hercules or Emperors New Groove there's barely been any merch made for it since, probably due to them having lost the rights. Its why I think we're no longer getting adaptations of any classic lit for the foreseeable future unless its something that's in the public domain like a fairy tale and even then most of the ones familiar to Americans have been done.

as for Strange World I need more info and art to really know if this is something Id look forward to. Normally Im not into sci-fi as its done in western animation(I think Japan does a better job with it)

it would be cool if its based on old timey pulp adventures but only if its actually set during that late Victorian/early 20th century time period when much of that genre took place, but b/c of Atlantis I dont think it will and the two human characters in the concept art look like they're dressed in more modern day outfits. :|
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

So back in 2019 (pulling up a quote from the hand drawn is dead thread), Skyler Shuler said: "You’re going to be shocked with a project they’re working on for 2022, all I’m going to say" when asked about hand drawn animation at Disney.

Is this film (Strange World) what he was talking about? I noticed he also said one of the films is "going the route of “traditional animation”".

I'm personally assuming this meant something like the animation style will be like those snippets of hand drawn-esque moments in Raya and the Last Dragon, not directly hand drawn.

That or he meant Strange World is referencing pulp magazines style about as much as Big Hero 6 references anime. :P
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Well Disney CinemaCon panel is done. And of course, nothing other than the title logo was shown for Strange World. The only talk about the film on Twitter is how the title logo reminds them of Ducktales :facepalm:

Still, with endless & unnecessary remakes & marvel sequels, it's nice that WDAS is "at least for now" sticking with Original Features, even after Raya/Encanto. So with that, I applause WDAS :clap:
Attachments
46703110799.jpg
46703110799.jpg (220.01 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney will present a first look at "Strange World" during Annecy next month.
Walt Disney Animation Studios will present what is described as a “look ahead” to “Strange World,” its fantastical land-set action adventure from Don Hall (“Big Hero 6”) as Jennifer Lee, the Oscar-winning director-writer of “Frozen,” receives Annecy’s Honorary Cristal.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's weird that they won't put a teaser before Lightyear.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Skye Roberts pointed out in her latest video that these concept arts that were shown in Into the Unknown are probably from Strange World:
blackcauldron85

I was just today looking for any new Strange World info (I came up empty), so thank you so much for posting this!!! Do you have any idea which episode of Into the Unknown this image is from? I wish it wasn't so fuzzy!
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

Farerb wrote:Skye Roberts pointed out in her latest video that these concept arts that were shown in Into the Unknown are probably from Strange World:
Those are not from Strange World but from Raya and the Last Dragon.
They are concept-arts for the Druuns and they are in the Art book.
blackcauldron85

I *knew* there was stuff from Raya in Into the Unknown, but I didn't remember this exact screen...darn. I <3 Raya though. I want some Strange World. Thanks, Prince Kido!
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

C'mon now everyone. We all know Strange World leaks will start in June 8)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Why are there two Avatar logos in that image DisneyEra posted of the lineup? I know Way of Water is the sequel, what's the other one?

It's sort of odd seeing the TLM logo sandwiched among all those Marvel movies and Indiana Jones... (And it's easily the most visually appealing logo there.)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"