Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by singerguy04 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:06 pm I do hope so! I think hand-drawn animation could be in the cards someday soon with Disney+ starting to replace theaters with Disney now... They need more and more and more content, and /quickly/, and hand-drawn animation is simply quicker and much cheaper to produce. God-willing!
I'm not sure if any of this is true since my source is mostly from a number of podcasts, but from what I've heard this actually isn't the case anymore. For nearly 20 years all of the newer animators have learned and been trained to animate via computer. That makes the re-training to traditional animation more timely and expensive. Disney has also disposed of or sold all of their traditional animation equipment, so they would need to repurchase all of that. Apparently the move to traditional animation would end up being a lot more costly in time and expense than it has in the past. However there's been some work done on a new type of CG that's supposed to look a lot more like 2D and utilize techniques more associated with traditional animation. Maybe that's something!

I just think that the reference to "think of all your favorite things in the last 100 years" hits a few points. Magic, Music, and 2D Animation are some of the biggest common threads over the years in my opinion. If there was any time to spend the money and go all in on bringing 2D back, its now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

singerguy04 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:59 pmHowever there's been some work done on a new type of CG that's supposed to look a lot more like 2D and utilize techniques more associated with traditional animation. Maybe that's something!
It's called cel shading and it was done in the new Chip 'n' Dale movie, and it looks terrible in my opinion.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

singerguy04 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 am *edit* I guess the more I look at the display, I realized it's more set up like a photo-op, that's why the blob thing is further up. Makes more sense anyway.
Yes, that's also true.
singerguy04 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:59 pm I just think that the reference to "think of all your favorite things in the last 100 years" hits a few points. Magic, Music, and 2D Animation are some of the biggest common threads over the years in my opinion. If there was any time to spend the money and go all in on bringing 2D back, its now.
You're right, she's referring to more than one thing there. The three you mentioned are definitely some of the most associated with Disney Animation. I can't wait to find out what it is.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I guess we would have heard if a new trailer was shown?? When will we see it?! 2 and a half months until release, right? I'm really excited for this and I hope that more awareness comes out about it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

A new trailer was shown for both this and Zootopia+. Not sure why they haven't released them on YouTube.
blackcauldron85

I didn't see it pop up on Twitter either. Were cameras actually allowed? Or people just were good at smuggling?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Cameras were allowed but people didn't film or take pictures when it wasn't allowed. I didn't see a trailer or anything, just heard from people who were there.
blackcauldron85

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

singerguy04 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:59 pm I'm not sure if any of this is true since my source is mostly from a number of podcasts, but from what I've heard this actually isn't the case anymore. For nearly 20 years all of the newer animators have learned and been trained to animate via computer. That makes the re-training to traditional animation more timely and expensive. Disney has also disposed of or sold all of their traditional animation equipment, so they would need to repurchase all of that.
It would make it timely and expensive for the first project (feature, shorts, series--whatever), yes. Much like the Disney+ streaming service itself, the dividends would come with time. A lot of expense to begin with with a payoff for years to come. The first project would have a big budget like any one CG film would simply to bring back the infrastructure and so on necessary to make hand-drawn animation again, but then every film after would be cheap, so...

So I don't believe it would be more costly long-term and Disney are definitely playing the long game with Disney+, streaming-only releases, etc. anyway, this would be another piece in the puzzle and I think it would be easier than it seems while you have a lot of hand-drawn animators from the studio out there who are still alive who could come back and help the training of new people, too. If it was 50 years after and everyone who ever worked on hand-drawn had passed away, it would be much more difficult. If you have 10 CG features all with 200-ish million budgets v. 1 hand-drawn feature with a 400 million budget to help put together everything needed again and then 8 or 9 with budgets of 90 million or so.... That would be 2 billion v. 1.3 billion. That would be a huge difference over time.

As a side note, if that ever did happen, if Chapek were the one to bring hand-drawn animation, that would be a huge win for his image--the "savior" of Disney, who revived what the company was built on, pleased fans, and saved them a bunch of money in the process all in one go!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The cover for The Art of Strange World:
blackcauldron85

After the D23 Disney Parks, Experiences, + Products presentation was a quick Proud Family panel and then a quick Strange World panel with Roy Conli, Don Hall, + Qui Nguyen!! It was quick, maybe like filler between presentations for the live stream, so not much new info, but: They said there's heart, adventure, it's action-packed, full of heart + humor, it's funny, an incredible father-son story. The characters are just amazing, 5 incredible leads. Theme: about legacy, what we pass onto our children. Unique characters, we will want to cuddle Splat + Legend. They started working on Strange World in 2018, worked on it a bit, Don + Qui went to work on Raya and the Last Dragon, then came back to Strange World, + they are furiously finishing the film for a November 23rd release! The actors were invested in the story, they were up to play around in the booth (I think there was ad libbing), the filmmakers were laughing through takes. As for what Disney animation films inspire them, Don said Dumbo, Qui said TLK + Aladdin, + Roy said Pinocchio.
Disney's Divinity

As an addendum to my last post--since I didn't notice it before--the 100th anniversary encouraging them to make a hand-drawn-esque film in Wish could get the ball rolling. I'd read elsewhere that they brought back some old animator to start a program training new animators in hand-drawn techniques or whatever. Maybe that film will be a way to slowly build up the infrastructure / foundation for doing hand-drawn work again.

Anyway, while this film is still largely a question mark for me, I do plan to see it in theaters! I like that it seems focused on a multi-generational plot. Sort of in the same area as Encanto, but more specifically on the grandfather-father-son than the entire family.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Back of the D23 display:

Source: https://blog.disneygeek.com/2022/09/09/ ... r-exhibit/

• Photos from the D23 presentation:

Source: https://twitter.com/LioOneMorePixel/sta ... 8190655488

Video of the presentation. In it, the directors reveal Callisto Mal (Lucy Liu's character) is the president of Avalonia.

• Interviews with the cast. In the first one, Jake Gyllenhaal confirms there's a big twist in the movie that has to do with the strange world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf6VfRbbrgM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9nBrY9Jemg
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1568426629306945536
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWqZY7ZU0I8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFhuw1Z8d_s
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1568453255738568707
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1568470293848662018

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:53 pm After the D23 Disney Parks, Experiences, + Products presentation was a quick Proud Family panel and then a quick Strange World panel with Roy Conli, Don Hall, + Qui Nguyen!! It was quick, maybe like filler between presentations for the live stream, so not much new info, but: They said there's heart, adventure, it's action-packed, full of heart + humor, it's funny, an incredible father-son story. The characters are just amazing, 5 incredible leads. Theme: about legacy, what we pass onto our children. Unique characters, we will want to cuddle Splat + Legend. They started working on Strange World in 2018, worked on it a bit, Don + Qui went to work on Raya and the Last Dragon, then came back to Strange World, + they are furiously finishing the film for a November 23rd release! The actors were invested in the story, they were up to play around in the booth (I think there was ad libbing), the filmmakers were laughing through takes. As for what Disney animation films inspire them, Don said Dumbo, Qui said TLK + Aladdin, + Roy said Pinocchio.
Thanks for the info! It's interesting that Don Hall and Qui Nguyen started working on this film before making Raya and the Last Dragon.
Disney's Divinity

I like the clipart (?) models of the characters, thankfully Searcher and Ethan's designs are growing on me considering they're the main characters. I'm sort of sad Lucy Liu has what seems like a mostly throwaway role... That shot of Callisto makes her more sympathetic we've seen so far. Before now, I've kind of thought she looked like she could be a twist villain or something in that vein.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Callisto Mal looks better in that image. That's a little comforting. There's no way they'll turn an Asian woman into a villain when the protagonist is a white man. I doubt there will be a villain at all; the twist is going to be about the nature of the "strange world" they discovered.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

I'm still going with my original idea that they are somehow living inside an organism, possibly inside a human being or animal. There are too many visual references to nerve systems, blood cells, oxygen, viruses, etc, etc...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Even more evidence that the big reveal is that they are inside an organism. On social media all Disney profiles are posting this combined with the "virus" emoji. The Clades have invaded an organism/human/animal/etc and are thur treated as a hostile virus which the organism is attacking. There are now references to red blood cells, oxygen, white blood cells, neurons, stomach acid, etc, etc, etc.... It's very "Fantastic Voyage" meets "Once Upon a Time... Life"...
blackcauldron85

Yay!! It looks so fun. A few times the words and the lipsynch didn't match, so I wonder what's going on.