Ranking the princesses from least to most feminist

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Ranking the princesses from least to most feminist

Post by Jay »

milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Ranking the princesses from least to most feminist

Post by milojthatch »

:brick:
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Nothing says feminism more than reducing women to a single trait, removing any nuance and complexity from their character, and pitting them against each other. :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’d move Belle (and probably Ariel, too) above Jasmine* and Rapunzel. Megara I’d probably move just above Belle from there, and below Esmeralda, Merida, and Tiana. I love Megara and she is definitely a feminist character, but if I had to rank them, she’d probably go below those three. In the film, she’s essentially Hades’ property and used like a chess piece because she sold her soul to save her boyfriend—and then later dies to protect Hercules. She’s a very strong character for those reasons, imo, but, like the criticism for Ariel, ultimately all her decisions come back to her relationships with the men around her.

I probably would’ve ranked Pocahontas a little higher, but otherwise I think the top 5 make a lot of sense. They were on-point with Aurora. Merryweather's dancing broom had more autonomy than she did. :lol:

*I think Ariel and Jasmine are close to equal. Both (unsuccessfully) attempt to break free of their society's restrictions on them on their own while ultimately being forced to rely on their fathers/future husbands who hold all the power. I don't think that makes them weak feminist examples exactly because that would be the most realistic way to depict strong women in explicitly patriarchal societies, because even though they may act as if they have power, it's the world they live in that decides they don't have any.
removing any nuance and complexity from their character
I read the list and I don't think they ignored nuance or complexity of the characters. I mean, I know there are many lists out there that do, but this one didn't. Of course some parts of it use hyperbole as a joke, so maybe best to read to number 5-7 before giving the list up.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Sotiris wrote:Nothing says feminism more than reducing women to a single trait, removing any nuance and complexity from their character, and pitting them against each other. :)
That's what happen when you get pop culture based journalism, they often generalize things and leave out crucial details.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I can't stand lists like this but at least Esmeralda was acknowledged. Meg too.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I'm so tired of such lists and rankings. But I'll put Pocahontas and Moana above the list for obvious reasons. Pocahontas may be a goody-two-shoes, but she's mature, dignified, spiritual and usually does the right thing for the right reasons. Besides, she gives up her love interest for the best of her people. Do I need to say more?

Moana is also feminist in the same way. Otherwise I personally find Belle quite feminist as well.

Glad to see that Esmeralda and Megara are included on the list.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Meg and Esmeralda being included are the best thing about the list... but where's Anna?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

They're dumb, since we all know that new Belle is the most feminist of them all, Emma Watson told me and she must be right.

Once I entered the site i saw a related link clamoring for Disney to do a Moana live action... :brick: Now I know who are the people who demand these shitty remakes.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I’d move Belle (and probably Ariel, too) above Jasmine* and Rapunzel. Megara I’d probably move just above Belle from there, and below Esmeralda, Merida, and Tiana. I love Megara and she is definitely a feminist character, but if I had to rank them, she’d probably go below those three. In the film, she’s essentially Hades’ property and used like a chess piece because she sold her soul to save her boyfriend—and then later dies to protect Hercules. She’s a very strong character for those reasons, imo, but, like the criticism for Ariel, ultimately all her decisions come back to her relationships with the men around her.

I probably would’ve ranked Pocahontas a little higher, but otherwise I think the top 5 make a lot of sense. They were on-point with Aurora. Merryweather's dancing broom had more autonomy than she did. :lol:

*I think Ariel and Jasmine are close to equal. Both (unsuccessfully) attempt to break free of their society's restrictions on them on their own while ultimately being forced to rely on their fathers/future husbands who hold all the power. I don't think that makes them weak feminist examples exactly because that would be the most realistic way to depict strong women in explicitly patriarchal societies, because even though they may act as if they have power, it's the world they live in that decides they don't have any.
removing any nuance and complexity from their character
I read the list and I don't think they ignored nuance or complexity of the characters. I mean, I know there are many lists out there that do, but this one didn't. Of course some parts of it use hyperbole as a joke, so maybe best to read to number 5-7 before giving the list up.

I was surprised to see Belle so low I thought she would be at least in the middle of the pack. I agree Ariel and Jasmine are on about the same level I would have them ranked right next to each other giving the edge to Ariel. I agree with Megara. She is a great character but is very much a pawn in Hades' game the majority of the film. I would have bumped both Tiana and Pocahontas up. Tiana in the top 5. I think Pocahontas should be in the top 3 over Elsa.

I also think both Snow White and Cinderella are better than this list gives them credit for but they deserve their placements overall.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Jay wrote: I would have bumped both Tiana and Pocahontas up. Tiana in the top 5. I think Pocahontas should be in the top 3 over Elsa.

I also think both Snow White and Cinderella are better than this list gives them credit for but they deserve their placements overall.
I agree about Tiana deserving to be higher. The comments on SW and Cinderella are the two I thought were most written-off for the sake of humor, but, yeah, I agree they are placed properly, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with the list except I wouldn't say Cinderella is "No feminism." Cinderella wishes to escape un-feminist restraints. How she goes about it is half feminist by believing in herself. Then when her stepsisters make fun of the idea of her dancing with the prince she says, "Why not?" and basically says what translates to "I'm equal to you" which I find feminst.