Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Pokenonbinary wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:07 am No sabía que eras de España, que bien, somos 3 que yo sepa pero seguro que hay más
Sí, yo también soy español. Pensé que ya lo sabías. Lo tengo puesto en mi perfil, pero supongo que no te habías dado cuenta. Yo también me alegro de que seamos más españoles en el foro ahora aquí contigo. Sí, creo que somos tres miembros activos de España ahora mismo, pero recuerdo por lo menos otros tres que ya no suelen participar, pero supongo que siguen siendo miembros. Uno se llama DC Fan y hace no mucho que aún ponía algo de vez en cuando. También hay algún otro de Latinoamérica como Marce82, por ejemplo.

Bueno, cambiaré al inglés para que los demás se puedan enterar.

By the way, I never welcomed you to the forum properly. Sorry for that. When you joined I was quite busy and didn't have time to read all that was being discussed. I didn't read your first post until quite later when I was trying to catch up. Well, I should've posted this on the Wish thread, but I wanted to tell you that I'm very glad you told us about the history of Black people in Spain. I knew, for example, that Equatorial Guinea was a Spanish colony, but didn't know Spain did slave trafficking or that there were also Black people here back then who weren't slaves. I feel a bit ignorant I didn't know about that, but I've read they tried to silence it and it seems they really achieved it. I don't think many people in Spain know about it. Since I read what you posted, I've asked some of the people I know and they had no idea either. Maybe now they teach it at school, but I don't remember learning that as a child. At first, I thought it was a bit weird they chose a protagonist of that ethnicity when the story takes place in Spain, just because I thought it wasn't accurate to the time period, but now that I know about all the history, not only I'm OK with it, but I'm very glad they did it. Hopefully, this will bring more attention to this topic and more people will learn about this.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

D82 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:22 pm
Pokenonbinary wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:07 am No sabía que eras de España, que bien, somos 3 que yo sepa pero seguro que hay más
Sí, yo también soy español. Pensé que ya lo sabías. Lo tengo puesto en mi perfil, pero supongo que no te habías dado cuenta. Yo también me alegro de que seamos más españoles en el foro ahora aquí contigo. Sí, creo que somos tres miembros activos de España ahora mismo, pero recuerdo por lo menos otros tres que ya no suelen participar, pero supongo que siguen siendo miembros. Uno se llama DC Fan y hace no mucho que aún ponía algo de vez en cuando. También hay algún otro de Latinoamérica como Marce82, por ejemplo.

By the way, I never welcomed you to the forum properly. Sorry for that. When you joined I was quite busy and didn't have time to read all that was being discussed. I didn't read your first post until quite later when I was trying to catch up. Well, I should've posted this on the Wish thread, but I wanted to tell you that I'm very glad you told us about the history of Black people in Spain. I knew, for example, that Equatorial Guinea was a Spanish colony, but didn't know Spain did slave trafficking or that there were also Black people here back then who weren't slaves. I feel a bit ignorant I didn't know about that, but I've read they tried to silence it and it seems they really achieved it. I don't think many people in Spain know about it. Since I read what you posted, I've asked some of the people I know and they had no idea either. Maybe now they teach it at school, but I don't remember learning that as a child. At first, I thought it was a bit weird they chose a protagonist of that ethnicity when the story takes place in Spain, just because I thought it wasn't accurate to the time period, but now that I know about all the history, not only I'm OK with it, but I'm very glad they did it. Hopefully, this will bring more attention to this topic and more people will learn about this.
Black history in all countries is always ignored, not saying there was a big population in spain but for example black people (phenotype) existed in the peninsula until just the last generation of people in some andalusian towns (there's one town, Gibraleón, but I think there are more with recent black ancestry) Canarians on average hace 5-10% black genes due to slavery in the islands

As you said Guinea Ecuatorial, also black slavery during Islamic times etc

Obviously the number was not THAT big like Brasil or the USA but a big enough number.

Also Asha is a mix of many things, her grandfather has a Jewish name, so he's probably sephardic jewish, that would make Asha a mix of many things, ethnicities and races (her mother has an arabic name)

Talking about Snow White live action, I think this version will be set in a more mediterranean looking place, because cmon Rachel and Gal as the two main characters, both being very mediterranean looking it wouldnt make sense being old Germany
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

"Leaked Scene" From the New Snow White
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aDRfyyHm9bk

"Interrupt me again, and I'll feed you an apple!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

D82 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:22 pm

Then I hope you will also praise and campaign for the next middle eastern, persian or arabic set movie to have a white main protagonist to remind everyone about all the whites slaves who were kidnapped there, on a much larger scale and for a longer time period...

In fact by your logic, Alladdin main protagonists must have been white.

Besides a chinese movie set in 1500s would also be accurate to have a main protagonist too according to your logic, since white people lived there at that time.

I'm just really mind blown that you think it's fine for the first spanish movie to have a non spanish main protagonist yet this logic only ever applies to erase white people from their own stories and cultures.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

Lele wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:41 amThen I hope you will also praise and campaign for the next middle eastern, persian or arabic set movie to have a white main protagonist to remind everyone about all the whites slaves who were kidnapped there, on a much larger scale and for a longer time period...

In fact by your logic, Alladdin main protagonists must have been white.

Besides a chinese movie set in 1500s would also be accurate to have a main protagonist too according to your logic, since white people lived there at that time.

I'm just really mind blown that you think it's fine for the first spanish movie to have a non spanish main protagonist yet this logic only ever applies to erase white people from their own stories and cultures.
By the way white indigenous SWANA people exist, they don't need to be slaves to be white, but yes european slavery existe in the SWANA region and they can get a movie, I don't thing anybody has a problem with that.

The same for a Chinese movie with white people, recently like last year Dylan Sprouse was in a Chinese movie playing a euro-chinese character (with a voice actor)

We spaniards are not a race, we're a nationality, and also its a very historically mixed country.

Are you even spaniard to say why we should be mad? Most spanish people I've asked or seen on twitter are fine, they don't even see her as black (biracial) they think she's just brown-skinned (there are many tweets from spaniards saying "but she's not even black", she is black biracial but it's true that in the trailers she doesn't look phenotypically black)
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove personal attack
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Well, it's not like they were very pro-Disney before that. :P

Disney’s Favorability Plummets With Conservatives After Snow White Controversy
https://www.dailywire.com/news/exclusiv ... ontroversy
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I completely agree with everything said in that article.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:26 am
D82 wrote:Has she really been inducted? I've checked the official Disney Princess website and she's not featured there.
It's surprising they haven't added her profile picture on the website yet, but she has definitely been inducted. At the bottom of the same website where it says "Discover (and Rediscover) Your Favorite Princess Films" her movie is featured. I'm sure it was just an oversight on Disney's part. On the Disney Store website, she was added a long time ago. I wish they would go back to having coronation ceremonies for new inductees. They stopped after Merida due to the controversy surrounding her inclusion into the franchise.
Raya is now featured on the Disney Princess website along with the rest of the princesses.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Delays ‘Snow White’ and ‘Elio’ a Year, Removes Jonathan Majors’ ‘Magazine Dreams’ From Calendar
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235629856/
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Omg, that pic in the article actually looks good. I was 100% expecting them to delay the movie, especially with the Daily Wire's version coming next year, too
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

That's an actual pic from the film? I know the article attributes it directly to Disney, but this kinda feels like a weird context for them to drop it in.

If it is, then either Disney really took the dwarf backlash to heart or the function of the dwarfs in the remake was grossly misreported. The way they're depicted here is more or less how I would have chosen to represent them.
Last edited by PatchofBlue on Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The picture:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's a hi-res version of the still. Disney's website also reveals the names of the seven dwarfs haven't been changed:
The film—which stars Rachel Zegler—invites audiences back into the magical world of Snow White with beloved songs and recognizable characters such as the Evil Queen and, of course, Dopey, Grumpy, Sneezy, Bashful, Happy, Sleepy and Doc.
Source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/snow-white-disney/

Farerb wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:05 pm Disney Delays ‘Snow White’ and ‘Elio’ a Year, Removes Jonathan Majors’ ‘Magazine Dreams’ From Calendar
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235629856/
I suspected both films would be delayed, but I didn't think it would be by an entire year and more than a year, respectively.
PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:19 pm That's an actual pic from the film? I know the article attributes it directly to Disney, but this kinda feels like a weird context for them to drop it in.

If it is, then either Disney really took the dwarf backlash to heart or the function of the dwarfs in the remake was grossly misreported. The way they're depicted here is more or less how I would have chosen to represent them.
Disney has posted it on its website too, so it's an official picture.

Either the set photos of the seven dwarfs were fake or Disney has decided to change their appearance and is going to use this additional year to replace them in the movie, do reshoots, etc.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

The dwarfs look like they come from a completely different movie (and a plane of existence). They appear to be almost stop-motion/claymation-like.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

They better issue a 12 month gag order on Zegler.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Mooky wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:54 pm The dwarfs look like they come from a completely different movie (and a plane of existence). They appear to be almost stop-motion/claymation-like.
Yeah, that's true. They remind me a bit of garden gnome statues. I think they perhaps made their proportions and features more exaggerated so it was clear they're fantastical creatures (i.e. dwarfs from fairytales) and not little people. After Disney racebended Ariel's sisters, racebended and genderbended some of the Lost Boys or made Asha's seven-dwarf-inspired friends quite diverse, it's strange to see the seven dwarfs all male and white here, which leads me to believe they did change them due to the backlash the leaked images generated.

Speaking of their appearance, it looks like they kept some of the color schemes and details of the original characters like Doc's glasses or Dopey's big ears, but now they all have different hats or hair colors, plus they appear to be of different ages. Dopey, especially, looks very young here. The interior of the cottage also looks quite inspired by the original and the picture gives us our first look at Snow White's shoes.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m glad the dwarves are small! I think the whole cast that we saw before might have been just stand ins… maybe they were being used to help setup a shot or to test lighting on costumes. It’s a good reminder for me to take a step back when behind the scenes photos like those are presented without context.

I actually think this one looks fun. They seem to be more strictly adhering to the designs and aesthetics of Snow White than they have for maybe any of the other remakes?

The dwarves look a bit like some characters from Spirited Away… lolol
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I'd put it all on hysteric journaling, but what I keep getting caught on is that the reports from the test screening seemed to corroborate the idea that the dwarfs had been repurposed into "bandits." That has me thinking that the original cut didn't have the dwarves, and they're now trying to paint over that.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So do you think the film will have the bandits and dwarfs, or they scrapped the idea of bandits? And will we ever know the story of that photoshoot or set pictures with the diverse bandits? I'm so confused!! And will we get an actual prince now or still Jonathan the bandit? Such a 180°, this is making me curious.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

So they’re just going to start over. This whole production is a mess.