Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
robster16
Special Edition

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by robster16 »

What in the technicolor hell is that?! The saturation is way over the top. I was hoping for some Gustav Tenggren classic Hollywood gothic vibes with dark blue and a creamy yellowy dress instead of this ACID trip right there. The costumes in the parks look more detailed and I’ve seen better cosplay costumes I think. She also seems to be modeled after recent merchandise redesigns instead of after the look in the classic animated feature. Not what I was hoping for…
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

*The cast and crew indicate the story/characters will play out differently than the original film*
This board: UGH why can't they just remain faithful to the original?

*Set photos shows a colorful costume heavily inspired/faithful to the original film*
This board: UGH I was hoping for something different than the original film!

Pretty damned if you do, damned if you don't situation these filmmakers have found themselves in.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

lord-of-sith wrote:*The cast and crew indicate the story/characters will play out differently than the original film*

*Set photos shows a colorful costume heavily inspired/faithful to the original film*

Pretty damned if you do, damned if you don't situation these filmmakers have found themselves in.
Do you think it’s THAT faithful to the original though? In terms of style and cut yes, but the colors are WAY more saturated than the original film. Like to the extreme! And I don’t think the design is particularly flattering on her body. Especially the skirt feels … solid. I had higher expectations for a big budget Hollywood production…
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I too am thoroughly surprised, because I didn't expect them to stick to the original design so closely. I hope the same will be for the Queen herself
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

This is a hilarious bad example of how not to be faithful. It literally looks like something from party city. I've seen costumes from budget, unnofficial productions look way, way better. Disney could (and should) do better. Next up the movie fails and they'll blame it on Zegler's casting
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

That is one really bad costume! I expected Sandy Powell to do something better since she did Shakespeare in Love so well. Yikes! I don't mind the shapes of top, but the skirt and the colors, blech!

Lord-of-sith, that's not exactly the case with all of us. I wanted a faithful movie, but expanded and different in good ways, right down to the costumes. It's a balancing act. I wanted Snow to fall for a Prince and sing a faithful "Someday My Prince Will Come", dwarfs, and new costumes reminiscent of the original, but more historically accurate (including Snow's hair), and not ugly. This is the opposite of that!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Oh my… that took a wrong turn. Maybe it’s a cosplay outfit she uses to get around the studio lot? Haha
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Farerb wrote:Rachel Zegler on the set of Snow White:
https://twitter.com/batatinhageek/statu ... gd6hg&s=19
The costume fabric itself isn't bad -- if you look closely you can see the blue fabric has a floral jacquard pattern and the bodice having a touch of lace. I also like the long sleeves with the tapered cuffs.

All together though it reminds me of Caillou. rotfl

If they changed the Big Bird yellow skirt into something darker (a honey yellow?) I think it'd look less costumey.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The yellow part of the dress and the hair are the bad parts, the top part of the dress and the puffs looks fine. They need to get a less garish yellow for the dress; I'm glad the collar isn't huge. The only thing about the hair is it looks a little too tight to her head... I'm assuming those little things in her hair won't be in the movie, just trying to add some dimension to her hair before filming? I notice they've given the character a necklace here.

I really think the most off-putting thing about the picture is really just Zegler herself, slouched over like a 2010s teen. She'll have better posture in the film, when she's acting, I imagine. :P
lord-of-sith wrote:*The cast and crew indicate the story/characters will play out differently than the original film*
What people who would actually see the re-makes would like (general audiences).
What people who wouldn't go see the remakes regardless would prefer because they hate their existence (the critics).

Disney would be better off chasing the former. General audiences will be the ones giving them money. They can chase the latter at the expense of box office intake, but the awards shows will always snub the remakes anyway...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

:shock: That's a Halloween costume! What on earth are they doing with this remake? :facepalm:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I hope that with lighting, color grading and editing, the dress might look different, maybe they plan to add some effects to it in post production...

I still think it looks better than Belle's napkins dress.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

If the skirt didn't have the sheer overlay (? I don't know what things are called), but remained the bright yellow, would it be a slight improvement? Yellow is my favorite color so I am biased, but I don't love the overlay. Just a solid skirt would surely be better. The top portion does look good...While I think I like bell sleeves in general, I don't know how I feel about them on Snow White, but it doesn't look bad. Did they have bell sleeves in the time period Snow White takes place in?

The Ugg boots made me laugh, though. I wonder what her shoes will actually look like.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I have a feeling that particular dress (mainly the skirt) is for shooting action scenes or anything where she’s being more physical and they won’t be showing her full body. There’s no way that’s the full costume right there. The cut of the bottom, with zero detail on it is why I say so. I would *like* to think they learned a lesson after Beauty and the Beast, but who knows honestly.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

The real Snow White is much more beautiful. This looks like a crapfest. Is that really how her hair’s gonna look? Definitely skipping this one!
Disney's Divinity

While I also don't like the lower half of the dress because the shade of yellow is too neon, it could look better in the finished film than this shot if the colors around her in-film are also hi-brite. I hope the Queen's collar will be done smaller the same way as this.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

blackcauldron85 wrote:The top portion does look good...While I think I like bell sleeves in general, I don't know how I feel about them on Snow White, but it doesn't look bad. Did they have bell sleeves in the time period Snow White takes place in?
The best short answer I can give is "yes". But please check out this post and this video to really get your best answer. You can watch just the beginning of the video and then skip the constructing part to the end to get the answers quick.

And I'm sorry guys but this is the costume. It just is. And boy is it a let-down. Better than Belle's yellow dress at least (like farerb said). Belle's dress wasn't the worst thing ever but still.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thank you, Duster!!! Now that you post it, I do remember your post with the pictures of the more accurate dress, so thank you for linking to it. That YouTube lady's dress was, to copy her, *chef's kiss*. Wow, so beautiful. Thank you!
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

The color of the dress is not going to look like that in the movie.

We've already experienced that before with Belle's yellow dress and Cinderella's blue dress...
Disney's Divinity

I thought Belle's yellow dress was fine, but I didn't care for the wedding dress. And this doesn't look as bad as the dramatics are making it out to be either. But the only live-action remake outfit I actually loved was Jasmine's pink and gold outfit in Aladdin.

To me, the worst dresses are between Cinderella and the hideous one we saw for Ariel recently (the one that was pink and yet looked nothing like the pink dress from the original film--and wasn't even different in a way that was flattering to the actress, it was just plain ugly all the way around).
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Cinderella's gown was much pale, the movie had so many filters that it looks much darker than it actually is. The problem the colors of this dress are very saturated and I don't think that this can be fixed adding filters. In my opinion it's a disaster. Snow White is a mix of different styles and they should have made something like they did in Cinderella with the fairy and the step mother. It looks like a cheap costume that kids use to wear at Disney On Ice...