Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by WarriorDreamer »

I thought Disney might so something like this... so many female roles played by women of colour just lately... I was just waiting for the joke/pun Snow Black lol.

rotfl 8)

But seriously though, I dont think it's that racist if actress Rachel has a little make up to powder her face lighter.. it isnt really Snow White if shes colored :lol:

I think shes really pretty and a good choice but I mean if Jolie can look lighter/change her face for a role (Maleficent) why cant Rachel??
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Which other characters do you think will be race-switched? Some of the dwarfs for sure and the Prince most likely. Maybe the Huntsman. There's no way they'll do this to the Evil Queen though since she's a villain. Some of the dwarfs will undoubtedly be gender-flipped as well.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Sotiris wrote:Which other characters do you think will be race-switched? Some of the dwarfs for sure and the Prince most likely. Maybe the Huntsman. There's no way they'll do this to the Evil Queen though since she's a villain. Some of the dwarfs will undoubtedly be gender-flipped as well.

Noooo lol to gender switching of dwarfs. I couldnt believe it when I read that the lost boys could be gender switched... I mean lost BOYS, what part of that says it is fine to include girls? Disney might have gone mad with politics/political correctness these days...
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This movie is going to suck. There’s no scenario where it won’t.

Political correctness will kill it. They shouldn’t have ever bothered touching Snow White. It cannot be remade today.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

WarriorDreamer and PatrickvD, you're both so right. About everything.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Lol I love how pressed people are because a talented biracial actress/singer got cast as Snow White. I love how people are already predicting this movie to suck or flop because of one person’s casting. You have not read a script, seen a First Look photo, or watched a teaser, and yet it’s going to suck because the main actress is half Colombian. Lol. Well, continue being mad because it’s still going to get made. If you don’t like it, then don’t watch. The 1937 version will always be there. Also, I don’t remember outrage when the First Look photo of Lily James as Cinderella got released and she wasn’t covered in soot and cinders even though that’s why she’s called that, but go ahead and be upset about this wonderful casting. Yes, it will flop hard because Disney is sooo PC and woke. Smh.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Oh it’s not that Disney is being diverse with this. It’s that it will suck because Snow White as a story does not match with the times we’re living in. So they should just leave it alone.

That and those new songwriters are garbage. The Greatest Showman is overrated kitsch. Snow White’s original score is iconic, a classic. Would you hire modern day composers to add new melodies to pieces from Beethoven or Tchaikovsky? Just leave it alone and make something new.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I really don't have much of an attachment to Snow White in general, but I have to agree that Pasek and Paul do not fit in the slightest with this project. In fact, their only creation I've enjoyed was La La Land. The Greatest Showman was too anachronistic for me to like, "Speechless" is forgettable and completely stopped the momentum of Aladdin, and Dear Evan Hansen holds little to no interest to me. But I wish them luck, I guess. They're gonna need it.

I like how Disney is diversifying their casts but their approach is also kind of confusing to me. Not necessarily for this film, but in general.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think the songwriters fit either, but they're not the main reason this will end up being a mess to me. Menken would've been the best choice of the options WDAS normally turns to--and even he wouldn't be a 100% perfect fit, just better than the rest usually assigned to these films. But, although I think the studio is less anti-Menken than it was under Lasseter, I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Pasek & Paul hadn't been on Aladdin on there own was because Menken actually played a hand in the original film's music. I doubt they'd cast him on one of the remakes otherwise; I believe he's said something about he felt like they thought he was difficult on B&tB-LA because he was strict about the original songs. Whereas here there won't be anyone from the original film bothering Disney from doing whatever they want.

I think they could add diversity to these old films without doing it in a way that'll inevitably cause a backlash as these films start coming out like they're doing. I saw some article the other day of people mocking a Black actress playing Anne Boleyn. It'll be the same way with this, if not more so because white's in her name.

@Sotiris: I didn't even think that they could genderbend some of the Dwarfs. :lol: And it's probably likely, too, so she's not the only female character in a house full of seven men much, much older than her. Since the remakes seem to want to correct the absence of mothers in the original films, perhaps one will be her long, lost mother she thought had died. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Since the remakes seem to want to correct the absence of mothers in the original films, perhaps one will be her long, lost mother she thought had died. :lol:
They won't do that, but I can see them going the Cinderella (2015) route with this. They'll show her mother instilling values in a young Snow White and teaching her important life lessons before she passes away.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

tsom wrote:Lol I love how pressed people are because a talented biracial actress/singer got cast as Snow White. I love how people are already predicting this movie to suck or flop because of one person’s casting. You have not read a script, seen a First Look photo, or watched a teaser, and yet it’s going to suck because the main actress is half Colombian. Lol. Well, continue being mad because it’s still going to get made. If you don’t like it, then don’t watch. The 1937 version will always be there. Also, I don’t remember outrage when the First Look photo of Lily James as Cinderella got released and she wasn’t covered in soot and cinders even though that’s why she’s called that, but go ahead and be upset about this wonderful casting. Yes, it will flop hard because Disney is sooo PC and woke. Smh.
Even though I think the casting is dumb, I do think you have a strong point though. I mean if people are offended or dislike the direction Disney is going with it, then they should not watch.
I don't think I will as I see the original as something that shouldn't be messed with. We're talking about the crazy dream of Walt that ended up being responsible for an entire empire. So wether Snow White is white or not, I don't really care because the original is sacred at least it is to me.

With that said, there's no point in dragging the remake because it will get done anyway. There's no point in bullying this poor girl either as she'd be crazy to turn an opportunity like this one.
At the end of the day, the Disney team knows that some people will love the idea, others will hate it and both sides will fight over the same thing for years to come until the film is released. The twitter fights is beneficial to Disney because at the end of the day, people talk about the film and that's all they care about.
Disney's Divinity

I can't speak for everyone else, only me, but I probably will see this at some point, just not in theaters. That would've been the case even if the casting wasn't ridiculous, since I'm not fond of SW. The film will probably even still be okay. I don't expect it to flop since SW is a well-known story and I'm not wishing it to flop exactly. I don't care about this one so much. I don't expect TLM to flop either--even if I hope it will; no, I expect TLM'll make at least as much as Cinderella or Maleficent, if not more, unless the pandemic isn't still dulling box office intakes by then. The TLM one looks worse so far with everything they're doing to cannibalize its story; I'm not attached to Snow White like others here may be though. To me, Snow White and Cinderella are stories that I think of as transcending the Disney versions more than, say, B&tB, Aladdin, and TLM which are stories where I'm more attached to the Disney version specifically than the tale they're based on. This film for me doesn't feel any different than, say, Snow White and the Huntsman, only with the added benefit of having songs.* At least the actress here can't help but be better than Kristen Stewart. Now Charlize Theron and Hemsworth--they'll be hard to top as villain and love interest, respectively (even if Hemsworth played the Huntsman rather than the Prince).

That said, the only one I actually refused to pay money to support in any way was Mulan, but that was more because of Disney kowtowing to China than how horrible the changes they made were.

* I still would love if they re-create the "I'm Wishing" from On the Record as a sort of reprise, where it sounded almost like a duet between the Queen and Snow White (the Queen singing to the mirror and Snow White to the well). I suppose it would only work if the Queen was in love with the Prince here, as Walt had considered for the animated film at one point. That's another thing, I'll probably end up buying the soundtrack to this, too. :lol: That's why cutting the songs from Mulan and Hercules is a doubly stupid decision, since they lose the soundtrack sales they'd get (even with low sales for a soundtrack, easy $$$ is still $$$).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So what if this is getting made? People complain about how bad certain things are, but those bad things still happen. It's not so bad a half-white is playing a white person, it's just that she doesn't have pale skin is all. And so what if I will watch this? I can see this for the things I like in it rather than the things I don't like. Doesn't mean I still can't voice how I feel on something on a forum designed for discussion as any normal human being wants to do. Geeze.

Divinity, I didn't know you liked the Snow White and Cinderella fairy tales more than the Disney movies.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

As has been mentioned before, its the music fit for me. I don't think these guys get it enough for them to be given free reign over the ' one that started it all '.

I still stand by my original choice of Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman - their new songs and score blend into the Mary Poppins world beautifully. I have no doubt they could do the same here, if hired to do so.

I just can't think how they are going to plus - up the songs and score here. I suppose the Prince will get a song. Maybe a villain song for the Queen ?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:So what if this is getting made? People complain about how bad certain things are, but those bad things still happen. It's not so bad a half-white is playing a white person, it's just that she doesn't have pale skin is all. And so what if I will watch this? I can see this for the things I like in it rather than the things I don't like. Doesn't mean I still can't voice how I feel on something on a forum designed for discussion as any normal human being wants to do. Geeze.
Calm down! I wasn’t referring to the members of this forum ! I was referring to the people who might like Disney but are not necessarily fans and just use this remake as an excuse to have battles on social media over race and other sensitive issues.
This is a Disney forum so the point is to debate over these films but on other platforms, it’s just an excuse to have endless arguments with strangers and, at the end of the day, it’s just dumb. Especially when you know that Disney just wants the project to remain relevant.
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:
Divinity, I didn't know you liked the Snow White and Cinderella fairy tales more than the Disney movies.
I feel much more strongly about Walt's Cinderella than his SW, it's probably my second favorite version of the "Cinderella" tale after Ever After. I like the human half of Walt's film, although the mice part (while I don't hate it and Lucifer is really funny) kind of brings it down a peg. That's not a criticism unique to Cinderella though--the dwarfs and fairies do the same thing to Snow White and Sleeping Beauty for me. Although I found the fairies funnier than the mice or the dwarfs. Lady Tremaine's and Cinderella's design, voice acting, animation are all incredible to me and I love Mary Blair's designs for the chateau, palace, etc. Of course, it also has the best ballgown for Cinderella, too. It's always been in my top 10 Disney films, either #5 or #6 depending on the day. :P

I think my favorite SW-related film is Tale of Terror with Sigourney Weaver. When I was growing up, my family had that animated film that's sort of like a "sequel" to the SW story where the Queen's brother terrorizes SW and transforms her prince, and SW stays with dwarfettes who have magical powers and meets Mother Nature. I know the film is nowhere in the same realm of quality as Walt's SW at all, and it's incredibly silly, but I guess I was more fond of it back then because it had more of a modern sensibility than Walt's film which always felt very, very old to me--like I was watching black-and-white cartoons or shorts almost. I think the opening of Walt's Snow White up until SW finds the Dwarfs' cottage is the best part of the film. After that, it becomes somewhat of a chore to watch until you get to the end.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

https://youtu.be/bb3n6uZLfJg

Legit though, she is a great singer... wonder if she will have to pitch her voice a little higher to sound like the original?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:
I feel much more strongly about Walt's Cinderella than his SW, it's probably my second favorite version of the "Cinderella" tale after Ever After. I like the human half of Walt's film, although the mice part (while I don't hate it and Lucifer is really funny) kind of brings it down a peg. That's not a criticism unique to Cinderella though--the dwarfs and fairies do the same thing to Snow White and Sleeping Beauty for me. Although I found the fairies funnier than the mice or the dwarfs. Lady Tremaine's and Cinderella's design, voice acting, animation are all incredible to me and I love Mary Blair's designs for the chateau, palace, etc. Of course, it also has the best ballgown for Cinderella, too. It's always been in my top 10 Disney films, either #5 or #6 depending on the day. :P

I think my favorite SW-related film is Tale of Terror with Sigourney Weaver. When I was growing up, my family had that animated film that's sort of like a "sequel" to the SW story where the Queen's brother terrorizes SW and transforms her prince, and SW stays with dwarfettes who have magical powers and meets Mother Nature. I know the film is nowhere in the same realm of quality as Walt's SW at all, and it's incredibly silly, but I guess I was more fond of it back then because it had more of a modern sensibility than Walt's film which always felt very, very old to me--like I was watching black-and-white cartoons or shorts almost. I think the opening of Walt's Snow White up until SW finds the Dwarfs' cottage is the best part of the film. After that, it becomes somewhat of a chore to watch until you get to the end.
Same! My favorite is also A Tale Of Terror. I also like Happily Ever After even though the writing is of mixed quality but I'm quite positive that Snow White in that film is the first heroine (or princess) that actively fights the villain of her own film during the climax (long before any Disney Princess) so it deserves some credit.

I have posted the unrated version of the final battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT11G7Y12zw
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Divinity, thanks for explaining! I wish the film was less mice and cat focused, even though Lucifer is so funny, and instead was more human focused, too! And all that stuff you said is great, the designs, the voice-acting, the ballgown, is really great! I wish it had more Cinderella and the Prince romance in place of the mice and cat stuff.

I also really like that Snow White sequel Happily Ever After, too!

Redadoodles, what was cut from that battle you showed us the un-cut version of? And when was it cut?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

1.The shot of Malice pulling Snow White's hair and Snow White slapping him.
2.Most of the shots of the dwarfelles punching Malice.