The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Doug was 1000% correct in his video, but he needs to chill out. He has become such a mix of a man child and a rabid online fanboy. The Channel Awesome scandals from last year doesn't help him either.

And in all honestly, Disney did a great job in updating some of the movies (Cinderella, Jungle Book, and Aladdin) and made horrible changes to some, but hey it's different from the OG (AiW, Dumbo, Maleficent etc.) Disney pretty much changed ZERO things in the movie, even if there are some tiny character development like the hyenas not knowing Scar at all until he came to them about killing Mufasa, Shenzi and Sarabi. Well, except ruining the Mufasa "ghost voice in the clouds" and Rafiki finding Simba's hair/dandelion fuzz in giraffe crap.....I'm serious. :glare: :smack:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I can't stand watching Doug anymore. He hasn't evolved as a critic at all, just shouting at the camera about things everyone noticed. If you saw his recent Lion King review (the original one, not the remake), you can really see that he is just continuing with what every nobody "critic" do these days - recapping the mivie while pointing out nitpicks.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

disneyprincess11 wrote:^Nope, Scar's death is all the same. Don't worry. She survives!
oh good, thanks! I wish they would have brought Whoopi back for the role. :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I finally saw the remake today and I loved it! It's definitively one of the best remakes and certainly a far better than the generic and dissappointing Aladdin. As with it's Renaissance remake predecessors, it was pretty much a carbon copy of it's animated counterpart, yet it should no be considered a bad thing, as it enhanced the strengths from the original.

I disliked how the movie began with the same Disney logo and the music as the live action version of The Jungle Book did (but to be fair, it made sense, though I would've preferred that it opened with no music prior to the chant. I got goosebumps during The Circle of Life (though funny enough, it showed the landscape before the sun rose).I loved the bit with the little mouse prior getting caught by Scar. Yet as with it's remake predecessors, it felt a little brisk with certain scenes, rushing through them. Certain scenes did look contrived, though, as some obvious CGI antelopes and some slow motion scenes and how the lightning stroke the fire at the end.
What was ultimately dissappointing is that there was no tears from Simba during Mufasa's death and even that scene felt too rushed and Simba's guilt not as invested in (Simba gets blamed for causing the death, yet nor this live action or the animated version truly dwells on what it truly meant. Does is apparently mean that Simba being the cause of Mufasa meaning that he actually killed his father?) Otherwise, with the exception of a few scenes, this movie wasn't too keen to fix and improve certain story points as it did with Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, as Sarabi choosing Mufasa over Scar was truly an intriguing story point that could've been explored more.
However, I felt Mufasa's speech to Simba was improved, because it was more nurturing and not as preachy and hammering as it was in the animated film (though I disliked that the skies barely resembled a lion). Otherwise, I liked that there were other animals in the jungle besides Timon and Pumbaa and that their screentime even got enhanced (though to be fair, they seemed like they came right out of The Jungle Book). And what's the point of trading the Hawaiian war chant for Be Our Guest?

Aside from a couple of bits of off-putting cartoony jokes, this new remake was truly captivating and enchanting. It was visually stunning and crisp, the score was marvelous and the voice acting competent. I loved it and cannot wait to see it again.
disneyprincess11 wrote:Doug was 1000% correct in his video, but he needs to chill out. He has become such a mix of a man child and a rabid online fanboy.
You know what, that's always been my main gripe with Doug in the first place. He's always been a man child and rapid online fanboy and it seems to be just one of his trademarks that he's mostly known for. But that's really essentially one of his weaknesses. At least he can possess some comedic timing, yet his constant shrills makes him grating and unappealing as a Whole.
farerb wrote:I can't stand watching Doug anymore. He hasn't evolved as a critic at all, just shouting at the camera about things everyone noticed. If you saw his recent Lion King review (the original one, not the remake), you can really see that he is just continuing with what every nobody "critic" do these days - recapping the mivie while pointing out nitpicks.
To his credit, he has evolved to be constructive when it's needed, but it's mainly overlooked at the expense of his rabid screaming and shouting. Yet I feel that he as a critic lack overall substance and credibility, due to his personal taste and opinion can sometimes seems off (though he can have valid points as well).
At least his female counterpart, Lindsay Ellis (a.k.a. Nostalgia Chick), evolved from being a nitpicking and wisecracking pun-reviewer to at least portray credibility and substance as a reviewer (which is frankly what she mostly succeeds in and what makes her videos credible at the first place, since I've grown out of liking rabid and snarky online reviews on the Internet, which there's a lot of). At least I used to think that Lindsay succeeded in balancing of being funny and serious and balancing them both, unlike Doug, who mostly fails in both.
Sotiris wrote:Me too. We all have movies we loved that the critics hated and vice versa.
Word. I have plenty of favorite movies that critics disliked and vice versa.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I just watched the film and I'm somewhat ambivalent about it. I enjoyed it a lot, especially some scenes that I wanted to see in live-action but overall the movie didn't grab me, maybe because it was a complete carbon copy. The visuals did not disappoint though and I never felt like it was odd that the animals were talking. I'm more forgiving of "bad CGI" it seems than most people since I never had much complaints about the effects in Aladdin either.

I really liked Donald Glover as Simba. He sounded a lot like the original Simba at times and young Simba was really great too. Both Nalas (yes even Beyonce) were just fine but Nala has never left much of an impression on me anyway. As for the new song, Spirit felt super shoehorned into the film and I wish they could have retained the marvelous score of the original in that scene. Spirit would have been better off as purely an end-credits song. Even Speechless felt like it fit in Aladdin compared to this one. However, I enjoyed the new scene where Nala escapes from Pride Rock with Zazu's help. The deleted scene from the animated film would have been too icky for 2019 with Scar choosing Nala as his bride and then banishing her so this allowed her to retain her agency while side-stepping that. Although I liked the backstory of Mufasa giving Scar his trademark wound and Scar wanting Sarabi as his queen, I also hoped that Sarabi would get slightly more screentime but that wasn't the case. One improvement with her though was that unlike in the animated film when Scar strikes Sarabi and Simba has to run in to protect her, here Scar and Sarabi both brawl with each other before Simba shows up. It felt more realistic for a lioness like Sarabi to fight back rather than be struck down after one blow.

Timon and Pumbaa were as fun as always and Billy Eichner especially did an amazing job! Seth Rogen wasn't bad but I felt his Pumbaa was inferior to the animated one. Animated Pumbaa has such a distinctive voice so I think I was disappointed at how little the two sounded alike. Zazu was a great rendition as well that felt like the original. Is it just me or did James Earl Jones sound a little phoned in this time around? Even though his voice was the same, he sounded older and even tired, especially in some of the lines that are spoken verbatim from the animated film. Maybe the novelty is gone for him as well, hence why his performance didn't feel as fresh.

Scar was...an interesting new take on the character to say the least. I don't think it would necessarily be a bad rendition of the character if not for the fact that the animated Scar is so iconic in his performance. This version felt phoned in and very underwhelming. I understand that the campiness and theatricality of animated Scar wouldn't really work for this film but it was slightly disappointing especially with how neutered Be Prepared was. The other songs were all pretty great and I didn't mind too much that Can You Feel the Love Tonight wasn't set in the night anymore (although I'm curious as to why they went with that change) but Be Prepared was just terribly done. I guess the original wouldn't work with the new Scar.I can't help but feel that Disney has a villain problem the way Pixar has one or Marvel used to get heavily criticized for. the ironic thing is that all those weak and subpar villains were compared to the classic Disney villains but the new ones have not been memorable at all. It's not just the animated villains from the new movies but even the new versions of classic villains in the live-action remakes. Maleficent was completely sanitized and holds no resemblance to the original character beyond her name. Jafar was boring and had no screen presence and this new Scar pretty much falls in the same boat. Even Luke Evans' Gaston, although I loved his performance, felt off because of the writing of the character. He comes across as likable in the beginning and even eager to please Belle by showcasing an interest in her books (making Emma Watson's Belle look like the jerk) only to suddenly punch Maurice later on and leave him for dead. Such as a drastic turn didn't work at all and I can't help but feel that Disney feels they can't get away with the villains they used to make for whatever reason and thus feels the need to neuter them.
DisneyFan09 wrote: However, I felt Mufasa's speech to Simba was improved, because it was more nurturing and not as preachy and hammering as it was in the animated film (though I disliked that the skies barely resembled a lion). Otherwise, I liked that there were other animals in the jungle besides Timon and Pumbaa and that their screentime even got enhanced (though to be fair, they seemed like they came right out of The Jungle Book). And what's the point of trading the Hawaiian war chant for Be Our Guest?
I preferred the new speech too actually so I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I was hoping the clouds would resemble Mufasa more, like coming together to at least resemble the head of a lion. I also liked the new animals being included where Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa live. It makes sense actually that in such a paradise there would be more animals, which also goes to show how well-done the animated Lion King is because the audience never even questions why there aren't any other animals depicted as living in the area. I guess this is what was meant by "new characters" who otherwise don't really impact the plot. As for why the hula scene was replaced, I think it wouldn't have been able to work in a film striving for realism. Where would Timon get the apple and the hula get-up? I thought the Be Our Guest callback was quite clever actually especially since Zazu is singing It's a Small World in the original film anyway so Disney references to classic songs existed even there.
DisneyFan09 wrote: I disliked how the movie began with the same Disney logo and the music as the live action version of The Jungle Book did (but to be fair, it made sense, though I would've preferred that it opened with no music prior to the chant.
I noticed that the Disney logo was the same as the Jungle Book one as well. Does Favreau favor this more Disneyland inspired logo for some reason? I wonder if there's anything on the Internet about it because I recently rewatched the live-action Jungle Book and I was wondering about the origin of this logo even then.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Finally saw it last night and I'm really mixed on it. Visually it's just jaw droppingly beautiful. Even if the photo realistic take on this story don't work for you, this movie is a game changer with virtual reality sets and just how real they made everything look. The voice acting was good, especially young Simba and Nala. I thought they handled Just Can't Wait to Be King better than I expected given they were making it realistic. Zimmer's score was as majestic as ever.

The voice over/emoting was mixed for me. It was easily better than the TV spots and early clips suggested, but I felt it didn't always work. And it wasn't for specific characters or species, at times I thought it worked great for all of them, but almost every character had at least a moment (often several) where it felt more documentary voice over. It did pull me in and out of the movie a little. Sometimes I felt the natural animal displays of emotion were incredible (young Simba curling up next to his dead father was heartbreaking), other times I miss the more emotive theatricality of the original (Scar's leaning in with a cruel smile to say "love live the king" before killing Mufasa being a good example). I think the thing is, if you're going to have a warthog charging hyenas, and animals singing, you're already unrealistic so embrace it. They could have found a better middle ground and been just that touch more expressive and I think that would have helped a lot.

Scar suffers the same problem as Jafar - he's played a lot less theatrically so he can't escape the shadow of the superior original. It's a good performance, it just pales next to what came before.

I guess that was my main issue. They played it way too close to the original. It was longer but I'd honestly struggle to tell you what the extra time added. If anything it felt like it was a little more exposition heavy/over explained things when it didn't need to. Ultimately it felt slower and didn't manage to get the same energy as the original. I guess I just expected more since Favreau really added to The Jungle Book and made it (IMO) superior to the original. Aladdin wasn't as good as the original but was very enjoyable and changed enough (whilst being faithful) that it's worth watching as an alternative. Lion King gave me no reason why I'd re-watch it over the original.

This sounds way more negative that it actually is. It's a good movie, I did enjoy it, and I'd certainly recommend seeing it at least once both to make up your own mind and because it is just stunningly beautiful on a big screen.

I loved the extended Lion Sleeps Tonight, Zazu being called a puppet (likely in reference to the Broadway show), the added animals at Timon and Pumbaa's oasis, and that Endless Night was worked into the score briefly. I would have loved it if they'd given Glover the full song to sing. But if they felt Beyoncé needed a solo they should have gone with Shadowland, written a new piece for Nala, or just had Spirit in the credits since it really doesn't fit well in the movie and the Busa Simba chant was much more powerful.

Did anyone else catch the plot hole they added when Scar claimed he didn't make it to the gorge? It's a line that wasn't in the original, and Zazu was there, he could have revealed Scar was lying from the start.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Jon Favreau wrote:This is the only real shot in The Lion King. There are 1490 rendered shots created by animators and CG artists. I slipped in one single shot that we actually photographed in Africa to see if anyone would notice. It is the first shot of the movie that begins The Circle of Life.

Source: https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/ ... 8656134144
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Finally saw it last night and I'm really mixed on it. Visually it's just jaw droppingly beautiful.
is it really? the little Ive seen of it, everything has this hazy overly brightened look. Like they turned off the desaturation on the screen color controls. And then filmed everything through a foggy lens. Reminds me of the AWNW scene in LA Aladdin, except that one had cooler tones.

I watched the original animated film last night for the first time in years and its still so stunningly beautiful. The iconic imagery of nature, the layout and color, they just pop!

And I have seen gorgeous documentaries, like the stuff from BBC and PBS Nature. But I don't really see that in the short LA Lion scenes Ive seen so far.

btw I hate what they did with the hyenas.Its good that Shenzi is more menacing and take charge, but they've made them sooo deliberately ugly and demonic looking, that was really unnecessary and is so looks-ist. I thought the point of the film was present the animals more realistically? :|
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

ChrisLyne wrote: I guess that was my main issue. They played it way too close to the original. It was longer but I'd honestly struggle to tell you what the extra time added. If anything it felt like it was a little more exposition heavy/over explained things when it didn't need to. Ultimately it felt slower and didn't manage to get the same energy as the original. I guess I just expected more since Favreau really added to The Jungle Book and made it (IMO) superior to the original. Aladdin wasn't as good as the original but was very enjoyable and changed enough (whilst being faithful) that it's worth watching as an alternative. Lion King gave me no reason why I'd re-watch it over the original.
Completely agree with all of this. After Favreau's The Jungle Book, I had high expectations for this film which fizzled out. It really wasn't a bad film and it's quite enjoyable on the big screen, especially for the visuals, but there's very little to recommend this over the original. Both The Jungle Book and Aladdin were the superior remakes compared to this, although I agree with you that the new Aladdin didn't beat the old one, but it has its own charm.
ChrisLyne wrote: Did anyone else catch the plot hole they added when Scar claimed he didn't make it to the gorge? It's a line that wasn't in the original, and Zazu was there, he could have revealed Scar was lying from the start.
Zazu is pretty much banished from the Pride Lands after Mufasa's death. At least that's what's suggested by the hyenas when they encounter him briefly giving reports to the lionesses and try to kill him, as well as in the scene where he uses himself as a distraction so that Scar won't notice Nala leaving. Although Scar never liked him and only kept him alive because of Mufasa, it's possible that he had a dual motive for banishing him which was to prevent him from revealing the truth about being at the gorge.
unprincess wrote: btw I hate what they did with the hyenas.Its good that Shenzi is more menacing and take charge, but they've made them sooo deliberately ugly and demonic looking, that was really unnecessary and is so looks-ist. I thought the point of the film was present the animals more realistically? :|
Now that you mention it, the hyenas did look very off compared to the other animals. Although I did prefer this new take on Shenzi not that I disliked Whoopi Goldberg's original version of the character. However, this one was very threatening and I enjoyed the almost matriarchal role she held over the other hyenas. I got a lot of Zira vibes from her.
ImageImage
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Saw it last night. Hated it. Without hesitation I can say it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. While my partner and I were discussing it on the ride home both of us admitted we were ready to walk out by the second verse of “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”. The whole movie left me feeling as if it were written by a student trying to put his more intelligent friend’s essay into his own words so he wouldn’t get in trouble for plagiarizing. This wasn’t a carbon copy of the 1994 film as much as it was a Dollar Store knock-off. The landscapes were certainly beautifully rendered, but the animals were all big fails. The songs all seemed out of place and shoehorned in. None of them seemed to come naturally. The dialogue was terrible and not a single actor gave a performance that sounded like anything more than lines being read off a cue card. Even James Earl Jones sounded awful. Most sounded like they were trying to impersonate the original actors, but kept putting emphasis in strange places just so they would sound a little different. I won’t beat the dead horse by talking about how the animals failed to convey any emotions. Honestly I’m not sure how anyone over the age of 5 enjoyed this movie. I don’t hand out zero star reviews often, but this utter piece of trash is more than deserving of one. No redeeming qualities at all. If you want to watch The Lion King watch the original. If you want to experience the stunning African landscape visuals go watch a nature documentary.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Music video for the Circle of Life in Spanish by Sofia Carson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwa1Ta8tw70

Music video for Hakuna Matata Creators' Cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZPrXqucHjE
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I finally saw this... and I cannot seem to find a reason for this to exist. It feels like the creators decided to stage a serious stage adaptation of the original instead of expanding. I didn’t mind the animation anywhere near as much as I thought I would. However, the lack of expression just didn’t work with the material. Had they staged this as an adaptation of the Broadway show with this technology, with the more serious tone and numbers added in, I think it would’ve worked perfectly. Instead we got the laziest musical numbers I’ve ever seen. So unwilling to embrace what it should be. As this movie stands, it’s a carbon copy of the original with so little life to it that all it does is make you want to watch the original.

What I don’t understand is how anyone involved could’ve felt okay making this. It’s no different than that plan years ago to computer animate Dumbo and the rest of the animated classics. There’s ZERO creative integrity, and I find it embarrassing for the company and all involved.

Also... am I the only one who felt that the adult lions looked photorealistic but the cubs never achieved that and often looked like a standard yet highly detailed animated character? They were never believable for me whatsoever.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

They completely failed to capture what a real cub looks like imo.

look at how appealing this one is.

https://giant.gfycat.com/RegularChiefKakapo.webm
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Wow, that lion cub is so cute and expressive. It actually looks more like young Simba in the original than in the remake. I wonder why they didn't make the cubs in the remake look more like that.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh wow, that really is a world of difference. There really is a resemblance to Simba there.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It would have cost them a lot of money to have the characters have facial expressions. Even in non photorealistic CGI films the characters have limited facial expressions. The only film I can think of where characters really had a wide range of expressions is Tangled.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:It would have cost them a lot of money to have the characters have facial expressions. Even in non photorealistic CGI films the characters have limited facial expressions. The only film I can think of where characters really had a wide range of expressions is Tangled.
Probably why pretty much every female character since Tangled has been modeled after Rapunzel.
ImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

This is Not a money issue, especially if you look at the budget, 260 million dollars. The facial controls were there in the rigs should they have wanted to use them, they chose not to.
JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:It would have cost them a lot of money to have the characters have facial expressions. Even in non photorealistic CGI films the characters have limited facial expressions. The only film I can think of where characters really had a wide range of expressions is Tangled.
Probably why pretty much every female character since Tangled has been modeled after Rapunzel.
Character design and range of expressions are two different things.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, that was quick.

‘The Lion King’ Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/th ... worldwide/