Ranking the Disney Princes

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Your favorite Disney prince?

The Prince
6%
Prince Charming
6%
Prince Phillip
15%
Prince Eric
9%
The Beast
19%
Aladdin
24%
John Smith
4%
Li Shang
4%
Naveen
6%
Flynn
9%
Kristoff
No votes

Total votes: 54

unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Ranking the Disney Princes

Post by unprincess »

By PC being upset do you mean liberals would be upset that a guy who tried to kill a girl is accepted again is bad in this MeToo movement? I feel like liberals are more forgiving. I mean I'm liberal and I love him!
really? Ive seen most of the hate for him from the more progressive feminist Tumblr/Twitter crowd. I dont mind him returning as a villain but I think he should be more complex than just a mustache twirler. But Disney might not want to bring him back as a villain either b/c they know he has fans ala Loki and Keylo Ren, and Jen Lee definitely knows about him having fans who wants him redeemded so they may feel its better not to use him at all.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My list is mostly the same, except I might would raise Flynn a few spots. I like the character a bit more after the TV series. And I've recently discovered that his voice actor, Zachary Levi, is a sweetheart. <3 He's better than the character, I think. :wink:

As far as Hans, I did always think the character was hot. Even though I liked the twist, there was a part of me that was disappointed because the character had such a great design and vocal performance.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote: really? Ive seen most of the hate for him from the more progressive feminist Tumblr/Twitter crowd. I dont mind him returning as a villain but I think he should be more complex than just a mustache twirler. But Disney might not want to bring him back as a villain either b/c they know he has fans ala Loki and Keylo Ren, and Jen Lee definitely knows about him having fans who wants him redeemded so they may feel its better not to use him at all.
Yeah it's a shame that Hans has been so underused despite the popularity of Loki and Kylo Ren. Although Loki ends up dead and Kylo probably won't get a happy ending either so maybe it's better this way.
ImageImage
Weโ€™re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:To be honest, I hated him when I was a kid. I had this huge crush on Snow White, and I hated him for taking her away. :lol: :lol:
I do like his singing voice. It's very Old Hollywood style :)
The reason why you hated him is adorable. And I love his singing voice, too!
unprincess wrote:really? Ive seen most of the hate for him from the more progressive feminist Tumblr/Twitter crowd. I dont mind him returning as a villain but I think he should be more complex than just a mustache twirler. But Disney might not want to bring him back as a villain either b/c they know he has fans ala Loki and Keylo Ren, and Jen Lee definitely knows about him having fans who wants him redeemded so they may feel its better not to use him at all.
Oh, well you would know more what PC people want than me since you visit those kinds of boards.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I'll just leave this here...

Prince Philip is the most badass prince EVER.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I didn't care much for the semantics of the Tumblr post myself or the overly 21st century perspective, but I'm in agreement that Prince Phillip is the best prince since he's my personal favorite, flanked closely by Eric and Aladdin.
ImageImage
Weโ€™re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am surprised Escapay. Isn't Adam your favorite prince? He's mine! I love his character development. It makes him like a believable, real human being. His emotions, his arc, his complexity, it makes him like someone deep and ideal. And I love his beefy but beautiful design the most out of princes!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Escapay wrote:I'll just leave this here...

Prince Philip is the most badass prince EVER.

Albert
That was hilarious. "Just smack that b*tch on the nose."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:I am surprised Escapay. Isn't Adam your favorite prince?
No.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

unprincess wrote:Prince Hans b/c he has amazing potential for being a really dynamic character(too bad Disney will probably squander it in order to not upset the PC crowd) and he's just flippin HOT. Like wow give whoever designed him an A+! Gave me a thing for sideburns. :drool:
I just realized, you sound like you really liked Peter Parker and Hans in a...sexual way. Yet you say you are asexual? Are you sure?
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

If its ok i did a Ranking of all male Disney Heroes

1. Aladdin: main character perfection: He has everything, his looks, his insecurities and struggles, his goal of proving his worth, his charm and witty streetsmart persona and his great emotional character growth are all things otherย  protagonists can only dream of. Probably my favourite Disney character ever! Ariel and Belle come close!
2. Kuzco: the confidence, the monstrous ego, the sass, and his enormous arc, so self centred at first and then heย  makes up for that through Patcha. Hes a really lovable Protagonist as he feels unfiltred and not cookie cutted or hold backย  like protagonists in recent films. He proudly shares his opinion, and his ugly and selfish sides and thats what makes him authentic. Love him.
3. Quasimodo: i feel sorry whenever I forget him lol. His shy and introverted nature is adorable and his crush and admiration for Esmeralda is cute and wholesome, considering that he probably really likes her because she was the first person ever that was nice to him and that tried boost his self esteem, while others like Frollo only want her because of her looks, which only underlines Quasis innocent nature. I also love how he doesnt get the Girl at the end and finds his peace and success by getting accepted by society. Great movie. Great character.
4. Beast: same with Kuzco, the Beast has his flaws and was mostly self centred. I love his short temper, that he feels so scary and out of reach at first, and that he softens throughout the movie. He is a wonderful disney character
5. Hercules: hes an adorable golden Retriever! His akwardness, naive nature and his want to fit in is wonderful! And that he learns that true heroism comes from sacrifices and love, rather than just fighting bad guys.
6. Prince Edward: another golden Retriever!, and I love his stupid and old fashioned nature. Although hes Designed to make fun of previous less developed Disney Princes, he still has way more personality than them. Its so fun to see his vibrant and theatrical character, alongside James mardsons expressions that make him really hilarious and loveable
7. Naveen: hes the more toned down Version of Kuzco. Love his Party boy personality but also his change of heart with Tiana and Supporting her dreams. I guess Kuzco stands way above because his exaggeration is way funnier and memorable.
8.ย  Kenai: yes. A bear made it in the top 10 lol. Love that he is driven by hatred and that he is also an imperfect character, that is Annoyed of his circumstances but later on grows so much and becomes a great big brother for Koda!
9. Tramp: now its a dog! Tramp is such a carefree and relaxed persona. A man (dog) who lives in the moment and for adventure! He doesnt think about Consequences and is a loner, which starts to be more protective when Lady crosses his way. Its like the Dynamic between Aladdin and Jasmine in the marketplace, only with more romantic casualness. And then he risks it all and loses his Balance because of Lady, its so romantic. a bad boy turned good! ๐Ÿ˜ a classic, but great character
10. Eugene: He might be one of the more annoying of the disney princes, but he makes up for that in the second half of the movie. So self centred and too confident at first, but not as charming as Kuzco and Naveen pulled it off, but later on we learn there is more to his alter ego "Flynn" and gets vulnerable about his past, then hes so selfless that he doesnt think twice about it and Cuts Rapunzels Hair, his only chance to get healed. His dedication for Rapunzel, saying shes his "new dream" is wonderful.
11. Robin Hood: I love his carefree and confident persona. Hes just so fun to watch, with his tricks against Prince John and his good heart for the townspeople, hes kinda like Aladdin, only more melodramatic, and he lacks personal struggle and insecurities, still really enjoyable Protagonist
12. Jim Hawkins: Jim Hawkins is an unique disney character, a little bratty, independent, and full of trust issues, hes a perfect teen protagonist and i can relate to him on a certain way. His relationship with John Silver is gold! Jim doesnt hide his dislike of Silver at first, but time after time he sees him as a father figure and it pays off at the end (kinda). They help each other out.
13. Tarzan: Tarzan is also a really great character: from his identity crises, being drawn to know more about humans, and his relationship with Kala, and love with Jane and his arc of realizing that he knows where he belongs, putting his family of Gorillas first.
14. Camilo: i would love to place him higher, as I love and kinda relate to his theatrical and classclown personality more than half above, but he lacks purpose and some good ol' character arc.๐Ÿค 
15. Prince Philipp: hes fun to watch, when he interacts with his horse or when he tells his father about Aurora, you can tell he really likes her and he is HILARIOUS when he tells him that hes "living in the past! This is the 14th century!" This is how you do great comedy. All other previous Princes including Eric should learn something from him.
16. Milo: hes so nerdy and clumsy, which makes him stand out in a good way.
17. Peter Pan: hes silly, craving for danger and never thinks of Consequences, which makes him am easy standout. His interactions with Hook are so entertaining. His attitude of never growing up are part of his charm, but also the problematic aspect as he will probably never learn to take respondsability or get really serious when its needed. He was however more likeable in the DtV sequel.
18. Taran: Taran is someone who lives for adventure and also loves his pet pig and his relationship with Eilonwy is refreshing, considering that they have their differennces and later on like each other again lol, feels more real. His relationship with Gurgi is also great and he shines at the end when he risks it all to bring him back.
19. Nick Wilde: His slick, relaxed and carefreeness sold it for me. He had a tragic backstory which made him so much more reachable.
21. Kristoff: hes sometimes kinda jerky, but overall a likeable character. His love for Ice is unique? And his protectiveness over Anna in the climax is so great. He was overall a very well utelized and likeable character... i mean in the first movie.
22. Phoebus: hes the OG Flynn Ryder. From his comedy, to his fightskills and sass, although Eugene has his soft and personal moments, Phoebus IS "Flynn Ryder" 24/7, which is kinda too much at times. But still a kinda likeable character, as he Fights for the right thing, when he disobeys Frollo and more.
23. Shang: He comes off as rather mean and commending, but i mean hes the leader of the troop. He develops admiration for "Ping", which I really like, and lets Mulan at the end take the lead for her plan to save China. Its unforgiveful for what Im gonna say but I liked his character way more in the DtV sequel... he was more emotional, angry, annoyed and funny, and the big dramatic bridge sequence. Just to be clear, I love the first Mulan movie 100x more, but his character was kinda better in the sequel.
24. Eric: He loves the sea, and is loyal to the Girl that rescued him. He has his funny moments when Ariel makes him laugh with the snarfblatt or when hes guessing her name. And his loyalty and love for Ariel shows itself when he is ready to fight Ursula. Other than that, hes kinda shallow. It was also clever that they made him hypnotized with Vanessa to avoid the problem if he would willingly dump Ariel for the Girl that was "rescuing" him.
25. Arthur: hes basically the male Cinderella of the bunch. I like his relationship with Merlin, his kinda naivety unintelligence at first that changes throughout the movie as Merlin teaches him about everything. Also how he isnt greedy at all and refuses the Throne and being afraid of the pressure and Merlin helping him out.
26. Hiro
27. Maui
28. Ralph
29. Simba
30. Prince Charming: He seems shallow, but atleast he spends a full evening with Cinderella, having enough time to develop a bond with her, and them walking through the garden is so Romantic. But I love him WAY more in the 3rd movie, where his dedication to Cinderella really shines through. Also hes so funny there, Charming 3 would be easily in the top 10 if I wouldnt only consider ranking the canon.
31. Prince...(Snow White): he doesnt know anything about Snow White other than in their only interaction that lasted less than 1 Minute, so there was no real way to develop their relationship, but i guess he loves her due to true loves kiss. I can understand however why Snow was so devoted to him, as he was probably her secure way to get out of this situation.

And here the same but only the qualified Disney "Princes"
1. Aladdin
2. Beast
3. Quasimodo
4. Hercules
5. Naveen
6. Eugene
7. Prince Philipp
8. Kristoff
9. Shang
10. Eric
11. Prince Charming
12. Prince.... (Snow White)
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Very easy for me:
My top 3 in chronological order:
The Prince aka Prince Florian
Prince Charming aka Prince Henri
Prince Phillip

They will always be my favorites
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

carolinakid wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:48 am Very easy for me:
My top 3 in chronological order:
The Prince aka Prince Florian
Prince Charming aka Prince Henri
Prince Phillip

They will always be my favorites
Perfect choices. :up:

Only picking three was very hard for me though. I went with the underdogs. :oops:

Florian, Henri, and Phillip are all classics. I miss the day we could have prince charmings like these. Now they are treated like villains like in Frozen or like dumbbells like in Enchanted. Very disheartening. And Disney can't seem to bother making an actual prince character cuz I was disappointed that even in Tangled, they made him a thief instead of a prince. Rapunzel was classically married to a prince! :?

Eric is very nice as well although I noticed Disney made him less princely and more like a regular guy .Not a bad choice necessarily but you can see the shift here. Beast and Aladdin are not your typical princes but they're not supposed to be. They're wonderful characters and I adore them as everyone seems to. Both want to be princes. In the Beast's case it's a matter of being a prince again and Aladdin wants to be a prince cuz he's never been one.

John Smith was my third vote after Florian and Henri. I always thought Mel Gibson was one of Hollywood's last great stars and an amazing actor. Miss the 90s when he was at the forefront. 8) I think this was the first time a Disney "prince" got voiced by a big star. Then next year the first time a "princess" got voiced by a big star was Esmeralda and Demi Moore. Even the stars Disney cast back then were bigger and better unlike the useless no-name nobodies these days who only have social media attention and no box office clout.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Such a beautiful reflection, twihard! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Prince Eric and the Beast aka Prince Adam would definitely be in my next tier. I also like Aladdin and John Smith but I didnโ€™t want to consider Prince Consorts.

Happy Easter and Feliz Pascua to all!
Last edited by carolinakid on Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

For me, it's the Beast - I think he's an awesome character; he's kinda childish, but he develops a lot, especially during the scene after he rescues Belle from the wolves. That short interaction they had helped develop his character and also start their relationship.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

carolinakid wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:07 am Such a beautiful reflection, twihard! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Prince Eric and the Beast aka Prince Adam would definitely be in my next tier. I also like Aladdin and John Smith but I didnโ€™t want to consider Prince Consorts.

Happy Easter and Feliz Pascua to all!
Thanks. It's nice to see someone with like-minded Disney tastes who still appreciates the real classics. All my Disney friends can't stand the company anymore and feel betrayed. :(

Is the Beast's name really Adam? I keep running into conflicting sources on that. Paige said it was his real name and Disney will never admit the truth but I think Glen Keane or somebody said that if they had given him a name, it would have been a French name and not Adam. that Belle calls him Beast during his death scene specifically cuz they had no name for him.

John Smith is a tricky case cuz even if he married Pocahontas he wouldn't really be a prince. But the Lennox princess collection includes both Pocahontas and John Smith so I'll go by that :wink:

Happy Easter to you too!!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Adam is the Beastโ€™s non canonical name. My understanding is that Adam in French is also Adam so it works either way...
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

carolinakid wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:35 pm Adam is the Beastโ€™s non canonical name. My understanding is that Adam in French is also Adam so it works either way...
that makes sense. Adam works for him imo although I could also see him as a Tristan, Maxime, or Laurent. just not Pierre which is too stereotypically French.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

twihard wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:48 amAnd Disney can't seem to bother making an actual prince character cuz I was disappointed that even in Tangled, they made him a thief instead of a prince. Rapunzel was classically married to a prince! :?
I know, right?! I was so mad when Disney made Rapunzel a born princess and Flynn a thief! But I got over it, so, I am at peace with it now, since at least they end up like the original fairy tale, a prince and princess, and the movie was pretty good.

By the way, Glen Keane, Beast's animator, liked to call Beast "Adam", but the filmmakers never officially called him that. And when the remake came around, the filmmakers said if they had given him a name, it would've been like "Louis" or something, which was many actual French king's names.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Disney Duster wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:55 am
twihard wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:48 amAnd Disney can't seem to bother making an actual prince character cuz I was disappointed that even in Tangled, they made him a thief instead of a prince. Rapunzel was classically married to a prince! :?
I know, right?! I was so mad when Disney made Rapunzel a born princess and Flynn a thief! But I got over it, so, I am at peace with it now, since at least they end up like the original fairy tale, a prince and princess, and the movie was pretty good.

By the way, Glen Keane, Beast's animator, liked to call Beast "Adam", but the filmmakers never officially called him that. And when the remake came around, the filmmakers said if they had given him a name, it would've been like "Louis" or something, which was many actual French king's names.
Okay it wasn't just me then. :lol: Even Rapunzel being a born princess bothered me but a little less than making Flynn a thief. So glad to see someone else who felt the same way!! :wave: Back then when Tangled came out I wouldn't have guessed it would be something unique for the prince and princess to end up together...I took that for granted with all Disney movies. But now I guess that's something to be grateful for that Disney actually let them be together

Oh cool fun fact. Didn't know Glen Keane called Beast Adam. That means Adam really is basically his real name at least for me. Louis is the stereotypical French name I wouldn't want him to have. It was used for kings but the Beast was just a prince and not the overall prince/ruler of France so I'm glad they didn't name him Louis. The little mermaid chef is already called that.