DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:00 am 
Platinum Edition

Ireland may be the perfect place for Neverland! And I hope the budget's as big as the other remakes. Neverland needs a big budget to be done justice. Is the budget close to the other remakes? I don't know that stuff. I hope this turns out deep, touching, magical, and powerful like Hook. I haven't seen the 2003 Peter Pan but the trailer made it seem a little too goofy. Maybe I'm wrong how the film really is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:06 pm 
Limited Edition

The trailer for Peter Pan (2003) is admittedly not very good so I wouldn't judge the movie based on that alone, otherwise I can see why you wouldn't be interested in it. I do think you'll like the movie if you give it a try though. It's awfully romantic and whimsical, moreso than the Disney version, while also a bit more darker and mature. Mainly, you should watch it for the incredible flying scene. The score for that scene rivals some of Disney's best and Disney even used it in commercials for their parks which shows how much they wish they could have been responsible for it.

I personally found Hook to be pretty bland. Although unlike Christopher Robin, at least it came out almost 30 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 am 
Platinum Edition

I hope my library has the 2003 Peter Pan so I can watch it. Otherwise I'll have to rent it off Amazon or buy it or something. I don't know when 'll see it but I will see it for sure. I love Hook. It actually got bad reviews when it came out but it's quite loved by a lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Hook seems to be one of those movies that people either love or hate. I'm personally not a fan but for some people, it's the definitive Peter Pan. It's actually coming out in 4K UHD with 11 new deleted scenes this October.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 am 
Platinum Edition

I love Hook, too. I’ll admit that I have nostalgia blinders on because I can see the flaws—I just don’t care.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:57 am 
Platinum Edition

That's interesting because these days I feel like my nostalgia is dead and I see films, even my old loved ones, as good or bad as they really are, and I didn't feel there were any flaws to the film except the crocodile seeming fake (and the comic burp I didn't like). But it could be my nostalgia too, I don't know.

I don't see it as the definitive Peter Pan though as it's not really that story told in the present so I find that others do find it the definitive Peter Pan interesting. And wow, great news about it coming to home video with all that!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I really liked Hook when I was younger, but I feel like I appreciate it a lot more now. Back then, I enjoyed it as a Peter Pan adventure. Nowadays, I see more of the personal element of the story and I also really admire the technical elements. It's clear to me now that Spielberg made Hook shortly after having his first child and he was trying to balance his filmmaking career with being a parent and he feared becoming that workaholic, neglectful father Peter was at the start of the movie. Hook was also made during that period when Spielberg was trying to prove himself as a capable director of more serious, less popcorn fare and attempting to be taken more seriously in the film industry.

There's a lot of internal struggle going on with that movie. That scene where Peter finally remembers his childhood and why he chose to grow up remains one of my favourite scenes in any Spielberg movie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 am 
Platinum Edition

All that information is cool, and what a wonderful story of your personal feelings and view.