Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.

Which version of Cinderella do you think is best?

Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)
41%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
5%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
5%
The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5%
Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
No votes
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
14%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997)
5%
Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
27%
ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I just watched Jim Henson’s “Hey Cinderella!” from the late 60’s. I’m not a huge Muppet-head (although I’ve been watching a lot of them lately), I’ve heard of this adaptation before but avoided it because I thought it was set in contemporary times based on the title. I gave it a shot after seeing a few clips and realizing that assumption was wrong.

It’s okay. I probably wouldn’t rank it anywhere with my favorite Cinderella adaptations. It’s mostly of interest only to see the early Henson puppets and Kermit’s first appearance as “the Frog.” But yeah it’s okay...

Speaking of The Muppets, I’ve had this idea in my head lately that I think would be funny: The Muppets’ version of All About Eve.

Miss Piggy as Margo Channing (the actress)
Lily James as Eve Harrington (the ingenue)
Uncle Deadly as Addison DeWitt (the critic)
Camilla the Chicken as Karen Richards (the playwright’s wife)
Kermit as Bill Sampson (the director)
Gonzo as Lloyd Richards (the playwright)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for telling me you saw it! What I like about this version is, well, it's funny first of all! Also, I love how cute the leads are, in personality. They are rather dense, but good people, so they are good for each other lol. And I love the Fairy Godmother! And the stepsisters make me laugh! Especially when they say they're so beautiful men are afraid to dance with them so they have to dance with each other! Haha! I also like that Cinderella's "I Want" song is all about dancing. I like that it's about the very wish she gets.

Yeah, it's not super great but I do think it's actually a very sweet, charming, funny movie. Yes, I know I have Cinderella bias but it's not like I like every single Cinderella! Anyway, thanks for telling us how you feel about it!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

One of my favorites is "The Glass Slipper" with Leslie Caron. The character is quite different from any other version of Cinderella. She's moody and quite bratty. She is also social awkward and no one seems to like her in the village.
The music is beautiful and even though the script is not that fantastic, it still works well. The only thing that might annoy some people are the ballet sequences that are not that memorable but we get to see Leslie Caron dancing and she is an amazing ballerina.

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually very much like The Glass Slipper as well. I think Cinderella being a bratty outcast does work well, like you said, and the one song the prince sings is really beautiful. I love Cinderella's ball gown in it. The only thing is I think the ballet scenes actually ruin it, and I don't like the fairy godmother acting like a weird, crazy loon and stealing someone else's dress for Cinderella.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

There's also the film "3 Nuts For Cinderella". This version is quite popular in Europe during Christmas season.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Me and UmbrellaFish have talked about Three Nuts for Cinderella in this thread, too! We both like it.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Is there an english version ? I only have it in French.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Amazon.com has two English versions you can buy, with the name Three Wishes for Cinderella. The one with a white cover of Cinderella in her wedding attire has some grammatical and spelling mistakes in the subtitles, but I believe it is either region 1 or region free, as I needed to buy that one to work on my Blu-ray player. The one with Cinderella in her purple cape on the cover is restored and probably doesn't have any subtitle mistakes, but it is a region I can't play (I forget what region it is). You may be able to find out what region it is on Amazon.com.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:Amazon.com has two English versions you can buy, with the name Three Wishes for Cinderella. The one with a white cover of Cinderella in her wedding attire has some grammatical and spelling mistakes in the subtitles, but I believe it is either region 1 or region free, as I needed to buy that one to work on my Blu-ray player. The one with Cinderella in her purple cape on the cover is restored and probably doesn't have any subtitle mistakes, but it is a region I can't play (I forget what region it is). You may be a to find out what region it is on Amazon.com.
Thank you so much.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Question for all you who saw Ever After: How in the heck did Danielle get to her manor from the palace so fast? Or did it take her like all night? I know she was having a dramatic moment but did she really walk all that way in the rain? She should have gotten in the coach!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Didn't Gustav take her back home ? I always had the impression that he's the one who took De Vinci back to the palace.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That was smart of you to think of that! That could be it!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Does anyone know this version of Cinderella ?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, that is Cinderella Monogatari, or "The Story of Cinderella", a 1996 Italian-Japanese anime of 26 episodes. I watched it for free twice in an English dub on Youtube. It is also free to watch on Amazon Prime. It's good. One of the best Cinderellas out there.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I used to like it but now I realize that it has all the cliches and bad themes that people think that Disney's Cinderella has.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Really? Can you say them all?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

There are too many to count but these are the biggest ones for me:

1.The abuse that she endures never seem to bother her at all. She's happy (on many occasions) to do whatever she's asked to do and even goes out of her way to please her abusers. The worst one being when her stepmother tries to have Cinderella painted as the thief that would steal from the royal garden.

2.The guy she's in love in with doesn't recognize her at the ball even though she doesn't look that different. That is a big problem because they've spent countless hours prior to ball hanging out together.

3.When she's given a chance to wear the slipper, she refuses times and times again and that's also a big problem for me because she has no desire to escape her situation.

4.Her step family is immediately forgiven for their behavior and she never tells her father what she's been through.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hmmm...I didn't know people thought Disney's Cinderella had those problems except how Cinderella is always happy despite her abuse and how she doesn't try to escape her situation.

I actually like that Cinderella is so kind she even goes out of her way to please her step family and forgives them instantly, but I have always hated her not trying on the slipper because she thinks she can't be with a prince, and I never realized she doesn't tell her father about the abuse she suffered! Also, you're right, for her to recognize Charles but him not recognize her is a problem unless you think of it as a magical disguise.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:Hmmm...I didn't know people thought Disney's Cinderella had those problems except how Cinderella is always happy despite her abuse and how she doesn't try to escape her situation.
Haha OF COURSE they do. People who are not that familiar with the Disney version just project the dumbest things on Cinderella. Just look at Keira Knightley.
Disney Duster wrote:I actually like that Cinderella is so kind she even goes out of her way to please her step family and forgives them instantly, but I have always hated her not trying on the slipper because she thinks she can't be with a prince, and I never realized she doesn't tell her father about the abuse she suffered! Also, you're right, for her to recognize Charles but him not recognize her is a problem unless you think of it as a magical disguise.
Forgiveness ? Sure but not on the spot. When her stepmother tried to get her blamed for stealing from the royal garden, she could have gotten arrested and/or killed. I also don't like that she's all rainbows and smiles all the time in this version. At least in the Disney version, you can tell Cinderella is annoyed but tries to keep a cheerful spirit for her own sanity. In this version, it's like Cinderella is on drugs 24/7. :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha lol ok I get you. I mean she never came off that way to me and I like her, but I totally get you.