The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh thank you, because yes, I tried to use the search function but it didn't work on that article for me.

I can't believe they decided he's like the mirror. But I actually like it. But I think Lee meant "hollow", not "hallow".
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh thank you, because yes, I tried to use the search function but it didn't work on that article for me.

I can't believe they decided he's like the mirror. But I actually like it. But I think Lee meant "hollow", not "hallow".
Personally, I think it's like Elsa's origin. Something that wasn't at all in the movie, but because of criticism for not addressing it, they revealed it later on claiming that this was always part of the original story but didn't make it into the film. The same with the question about who was governing the kingdom before Elsa's coronation. A lot of people asked this question and later we get an interview that there was a regent who apparently was supposed to be in the film, or at least mentioned, but was cut out.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I didn't know about the regent while Ela was not queen yet! They should have done something. As for Hans as the mirror, didn't you think that video showed so much evidence they actually did intend for him to be a symbol of the mirror? Or do you mean they were going to put the actual demon's magical mirror in the film but cut it?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, I didn't know about the regent while Ela was not queen yet! They should have done something. As for Hans as the mirror, didn't you think that video showed so much evidence they actually did intend for him to be a symbol of the mirror? Or do you mean they were going to put the actual demon's magical mirror in the film but cut it?
I remember reading about it somewhere so it may have been posted in the Frozen Discussion thread. The filmmakers talked about the regent in either an interview or a Twitter post.

The video plus the interview would suggest that they actually did plan ahead for Hans to be the mirror. Or it was a theory they came up with (or stole after seeing other people theorize it) because it worked so well with how they portrayed Hans in the film. I'm actually a really big Hans fan so I was not thrilled at all with the twist that he was evil. I like to pretend in my own headcanon that he's good and still with Anna since I thought they made a cute couple. All the shippers place him with Elsa so I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel redeems him and matches him with her, although I kinda want Disney to be more original than that since it seems so predictable now. I don't think an actual demonic magic mirror was ever at all in the film. From everything I've read and seen of the production(s) of the film, there was no demonic magic mirror. Some concept art only shows an icy reflection that distorts Elsa's reflection. But it may have been more symbolic than an actual object since it just looked like a block of ice.
ImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Im glad Im not the only Hans fan here, I feel bad for liking him so much. :oops: Id love a redemption story line but it would only work if it doesn't undo the message of the first film, so nothing like that other theory that he was cursed by the trolls b/c they wanted Kristoff wth Anna or that he was hypnotized to be the thrall of an evil Snow Queen, lol. :P

But since we haven't even heard any confirmation of Fontana returning and we know they've already started to record the voices, I feel he may have been written out of the films/franchise b/c of how toxic he is to the sjw/tumblr crowd and parents of little girls(who are the desired target audience).

as for the mirror thing, nah I really dont think they came up with anything surrounding that themselves, probably picked it up from online fandom and just liked the theory.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thanks for the info guys.

I like Hans too, but I accept him being evil in the film. The only time I think of him as not evil is just stupid fantasies since he's so damn hot.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

unprincess wrote:Im glad Im not the only Hans fan here, I feel bad for liking him so much. :oops: Id love a redemption story line but it would only work if it doesn't undo the message of the first film, so nothing like that other theory that he was cursed by the trolls b/c they wanted Kristoff wth Anna or that he was hypnotized to be the thrall of an evil Snow Queen, lol. :P

But since we haven't even heard any confirmation of Fontana returning and we know they've already started to record the voices, I feel he may have been written out of the films/franchise b/c of how toxic he is to the sjw/tumblr crowd and parents of little girls(who are the desired target audience).

as for the mirror thing, nah I really dont think they came up with anything surrounding that themselves, probably picked it up from online fandom and just liked the theory.
I actually wouldn't mind the being cursed by trolls theory. It actually seems to fit better with the movie imo than how the film actually ends. They tell Anna she shouldn't marry someone she's only known for a day, just so she can marry someone else she's also known for basically the same amount of time. And frankly, before this scene, there's no indication that Anna and Kristoff have any feelings for each other at all. So the trolls using magic to make Hans evil and Kristoff and Anna have feelings for each other would be fine with me. Maybe the reason they did this was because they need Kristoff and Anna together for some evil threat that'll surface in the sequel. I'm not normally a fan of retcons, but this is one I wouldn't mind. I don't care too much about him being controlled by an evil Snow Queen and I'd rather they not go that route for a villain anyway especially since OUAT already did it. Nor do I want to see some evil fire counterpart for Elsa like all the fanart and fanfiction usually goes the route of.

I thought Hans was confirmed to return way back when the sequel was first announced? I can see why they would find him toxic to fandoms, especially considering how these same fandoms obsess over Draco Malfoy and Kylo Ren.
ImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I know they said earlier this year that "all your favorite characters would be returning" but they said favorite. I don't know if Hans could be considered a favorite character since so many seem to despise him even as a villain.

I wouldn't mind them going the full villain role with him either since we barely saw his villainous side in the first film. I just want him back, he's too good a design and Fontana too good a talent to not bring back.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

unprincess wrote:I know they said earlier this year that "all your favorite characters would be returning" but they said favorite. I don't know if Hans could be considered a favorite character since so many seem to despise him even as a villain.

I wouldn't mind them going the full villain role with him either since we barely saw his villainous side in the first film. I just want him back, he's too good a design and Fontana too good a talent to not bring back.
I think a lot of people just assumed he'd be coming back and I can't find any official confirmation that he will be, other than that Santino Fontana teased a redemption arc in the sequel. He's one of my favorite parts of Frozen so I sure hope he'll be back, preferably in a meaty role.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

unprincess wrote:I know they said earlier this year that "all your favorite characters would be returning" but they said favorite. I don't know if Hans could be considered a favorite character since so many seem to despise him even as a villain.

I actually really loved Hans and almost wish he hadn't been the villain because I liked him so much. I wouldn't mind seeing him return in some capacity though. I think a redemption story would be very difficult just because he tried to kill Elsa twice and Anna once, too. Of course, the franchise didn't really give him the execution he deserves, and instead used him for comedy relief in the Frozen Fever short, so... Anything's possible. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

I know I've said this before but...... If the next one is coming in Jan/Feb, shouldn't we know about it by now!?
Any pre-orders or sites been updated? Anything?
Anyone.............
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

pikachufan1336 wrote:I know I've said this before but...... If the next one is coming in Jan/Feb, shouldn't we know about it by now!?
Anyone.............
I was wondering that too. I see nothing ugh.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Matt wrote:
pikachufan1336 wrote:I know I've said this before but...... If the next one is coming in Jan/Feb, shouldn't we know about it by now!?
Anyone.............
I was wondering that too. I see nothing ugh.
Is it possible that because we got three last year we're only getting one this year?

:(
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

pikachufan1336 wrote:Is it possible that because we got three last year we're only getting one this year
No, it will be 2 or 3, but I'm guessing it will be released in March, together with Coco.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Khonnor wrote:
pikachufan1336 wrote:Is it possible that because we got three last year we're only getting one this year
No, it will be 2 or 3, but I'm guessing it will be released in March, together with Coco.
They can at least give us a hint lol
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Khonnor wrote:
So........any day now?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Official announcements and press releases for catalog titles seem to vary nowadays on the length between its announcement and its release dates. In the days of the Platinum Edition, we'd know the upcoming title by whatever the current release's booklet revealed, and a press release would follow a few months later. Diamond Editions functioned mostly the same way until the Blu-Ray booklet/guide got discontinued. With the Signature Collection, the time between an official announcement (by way of press release) and its actual release date has varied:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was announced in early December 2015 for its February 2, 2016 release (two months).

Beauty and the Beast was announced in late June 2016 for its September 20, 2016 release (three months).

Pinocchio was announced in late November 2016 for its January 31, 2017 release (two months).

Bambi was announced in late April 2017 for its June 6, 2017 release (one month).

The Lion King was announced in mid July 2017 for its August 29, 2017 release (one month).

If the 2018 schedule will follow 2017's, then we'll see a release on the following dates:

January 30 (fifth Tuesday of the year, Q1)

June 5 (twenty-third Tuesday of the year, Q2)

August 28 (thirty-fifth Tuesday of the year, Q3)

Really, the concept of an early-March and early-October release for the top-tier line was only for the Platinum and Diamond lines. Signature Collection is functioning on a like-minded release schedule, just with different dates than we're used to. Since Disney hasn't issued any press release yet for the Q1 title, they're likely not going to announce it until a month in advance, as evident by Bambi and The Lion King.

Note that this is all strictly based on when the press release gets formally announced by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. None of this factors into account other sources confirming a release like Disney Consumer Products or other merchandise schedules. After all, early merchandise reports for Q1 2016 pointed to Pinocchio finally getting its Diamond Edition release, marking the official end to the line and an unknown future for what the next series would be. Then, December suddenly saw the surprise announcement that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would kickstart the new Signature Collection line, effectively bumping Pinocchio back another year (and thus, never receiving a Diamond Edition), despite a lot of Pinocchio merchandise on the shelves in early 2016. This also made Aladdin the de facto final Diamond Edition, rather fitting given that it had been repeatedly pushed back from its US Blu-Ray release after an initial 2012 announcement (and other regions getting a Blu-Ray, with no new features, before us).

Unofficially, if we take the word of a DisneyMoviesAnywhere rep, 2018's schedule includes Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Lady and the Tramp. Taking those into consideration, as well as what will presumably be the remaining six titles, this is my speculation for the next 3 years:

Peter Pan (1953) - January 30, 2018
Fantasia (1940) - June 5, 2018
Fantasia 2000 (1999) - June 5, 2018
Lady and the Tramp (1955) - August 28, 2018

The Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp slots could switch. While January 30 is closer to Peter Pan's actual anniversary (February 5), Lady and the Tramp has the whole romance/Valentine's Day angle that would be better for advertising. Either way, Q1 will almost always be a Walt title, but technically the entire year is Walt-era as there's an absence of a Renaissance title in 2018, unless one counts Fantasia 2000.

Cinderella (1950) - January 28, 2019
The Little Mermaid (1989): 30th Anniversary - June 4, 2019
Aladdin (1992) - August 27, 2019

Cinderella would be the Q1 Walt-era title since it's already overdue for a re-issue. Positioning The Little Mermaid as the Q2 summer release would allow for a promotional feature (a trailer or whatnot) to be included for its upcoming live-action remake, which has no official date yet but I'm sure will start shooting sometime in 2018. Much like 2014's Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition release, Aladdin makes perfect sense as the Q3 title since it would see release shortly before the home media release of its live-action remake, which comes out in late May that year.

One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) - February 4, 2020
The Jungle Book (1967) - June 9, 2020
Sleeping Beauty (1959) - September 1, 2020

Basically a catch-up of the remaining titles, positioned based on both information about their live-action remakes, and where they've historically been released before. One Hundred and One Dalmatians was released to DVD in March 2008 and to Blu-Ray in February 2015, so it'll continue that trend as the Q1 release here. Also, by 2020, the Emma Stone Cruella de Vil prequel movie would either be in production or readying for release. The Jungle Book's return to Blu-Ray would likely also co-incide with the live-action remake's sequel in theatres. Finally, princess movies sell better in Q3 for holiday advertising, so Sleeping Beauty would close out the Signature Collection line.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Interesting. My gut feeling predicts (in this order):

2018:
- Lady And The Tramp
- Peter Pan
- Cinderella

2019:
- The Jungle Book
- The Little Mermaid
- Sleeping Beauty

2020:
- 101 Dalmatians
- Aladdin
- Fantasia
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Escapay wrote:Official announcements and press releases for catalog titles seem to vary nowadays on the length between its announcement and its release dates. In the days of the Platinum Edition, we'd know the upcoming title by whatever the current release's booklet revealed, and a press release would follow a few months later. Diamond Editions functioned mostly the same way until the Blu-Ray booklet/guide got discontinued. With the Signature Collection, the time between an official announcement (by way of press release) and its actual release date has varied:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was announced in early December 2015 for its February 2, 2016 release (two months).

Beauty and the Beast was announced in late June 2016 for its September 20, 2016 release (three months).

Pinocchio was announced in late November 2016 for its January 31, 2017 release (two months).

Bambi was announced in late April 2017 for its June 6, 2017 release (one month).

The Lion King was announced in mid July 2017 for its August 29, 2017 release (one month).

If the 2018 schedule will follow 2017's, then we'll see a release on the following dates:

January 30 (fifth Tuesday of the year, Q1)

June 5 (twenty-third Tuesday of the year, Q2)

August 28 (thirty-fifth Tuesday of the year, Q3)

Really, the concept of an early-March and early-October release for the top-tier line was only for the Platinum and Diamond lines. Signature Collection is functioning on a like-minded release schedule, just with different dates than we're used to. Since Disney hasn't issued any press release yet for the Q1 title, they're likely not going to announce it until a month in advance, as evident by Bambi and The Lion King.

Note that this is all strictly based on when the press release gets formally announced by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. None of this factors into account other sources confirming a release like Disney Consumer Products or other merchandise schedules. After all, early merchandise reports for Q1 2016 pointed to Pinocchio finally getting its Diamond Edition release, marking the official end to the line and an unknown future for what the next series would be. Then, December suddenly saw the surprise announcement that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would kickstart the new Signature Collection line, effectively bumping Pinocchio back another year (and thus, never receiving a Diamond Edition), despite a lot of Pinocchio merchandise on the shelves in early 2016. This also made Aladdin the de facto final Diamond Edition, rather fitting given that it had been repeatedly pushed back from its US Blu-Ray release after an initial 2012 announcement (and other regions getting a Blu-Ray, with no new features, before us).

Unofficially, if we take the word of a DisneyMoviesAnywhere rep, 2018's schedule includes Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Lady and the Tramp. Taking those into consideration, as well as what will presumably be the remaining six titles, this is my speculation for the next 3 years:

Peter Pan (1953) - January 30, 2018
Fantasia (1940) - June 5, 2018
Fantasia 2000 (1999) - June 5, 2018
Lady and the Tramp (1955) - August 28, 2018

The Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp slots could switch. While January 30 is closer to Peter Pan's actual anniversary (February 5), Lady and the Tramp has the whole romance/Valentine's Day angle that would be better for advertising. Either way, Q1 will almost always be a Walt title, but technically the entire year is Walt-era as there's an absence of a Renaissance title in 2018, unless one counts Fantasia 2000.

Cinderella (1950) - January 28, 2019
The Little Mermaid (1989): 30th Anniversary - June 4, 2019
Aladdin (1992) - August 27, 2019

Cinderella would be the Q1 Walt-era title since it's already overdue for a re-issue. Positioning The Little Mermaid as the Q2 summer release would allow for a promotional feature (a trailer or whatnot) to be included for its upcoming live-action remake, which has no official date yet but I'm sure will start shooting sometime in 2018. Much like 2014's Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition release, Aladdin makes perfect sense as the Q3 title since it would see release shortly before the home media release of its live-action remake, which comes out in late May that year.

One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) - February 4, 2020
The Jungle Book (1967) - June 9, 2020
Sleeping Beauty (1959) - September 1, 2020

Basically a catch-up of the remaining titles, positioned based on both information about their live-action remakes, and where they've historically been released before. One Hundred and One Dalmatians was released to DVD in March 2008 and to Blu-Ray in February 2015, so it'll continue that trend as the Q1 release here. Also, by 2020, the Emma Stone Cruella de Vil prequel movie would either be in production or readying for release. The Jungle Book's return to Blu-Ray would likely also co-incide with the live-action remake's sequel in theatres. Finally, princess movies sell better in Q3 for holiday advertising, so Sleeping Beauty would close out the Signature Collection line.

Albert
Interesting, but how do we know if there is going to be three per year. Just because it happened once this year doesn't mean it will happen again.

Is there any proof of a three year thing now?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Fantasia's placement depends on whether or not Disney will still go by tradition and only release it in every year ending with an 0. The fact that it is still on Netflix makes me doubt that they'll release it next year. Might be better to wait until after Disney has removed their content from Netflix. I also wonder if Fantasia 2000 will be included or not. It's not on the main website anymore, nor is Fantasia listed as a 2 movie collection, so I wonder if it'll be given the same treatment that other sequels like Bambi 2 have gotten. A minor release with the pomp and circumstance.

I just hope that whenever Cinderella comes out, it'll be with a new and improved restoration. There's no excuse that we've had the same shoddy transfer for more than a decade now, one that apparently was always known to be flawed, or at least by the time the Blu-Ray came out. Seeing as how Disney hasn't bothered to change any of their transfers yet (except for the missing clouds from The Lion King), I'm skeptical as to whether or not they'll do anything for Cinderella. It's the most flawed transfer in the Signature Edition line besides BATB which Disney doesn't seem to be bothered by.
ImageImage