Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Post by Patricier21 »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:The first one was interesting...the second one had potential, but the plot was ridiculous, especially towards the ending. I wonder, what else can they think of for a third movie?
As someone Who thinks the first one is pretty much garbage Aside from a few little things about it, I am surprisingly moved and touched by mistress of evil; seriously, it actually makes me feel a lot more than other even similar kinds of movies, like even deathly hallows part 2, And I am a major Harry Potter fan, Even if they may indeed not be seen much as DH2 was released in completely and therefore had pretty much everything about it just overall Not satisfactory to say the least. Mistress of evil mainly triumphed over the first one because it actually had a competent and genuinely enthusiastic Director, of which I truly hope the third one will continue getting better with quality. Mistress of evil also teases where they could go with the third one with A statement at the end of been back when a baby is born, and I actually Very interested to see if they bring in elements from a certain other Disney franchise that actually had its OWN third installment released the same year as Mistress of evil…… :-)
Nymbus

Post by Nymbus »

It looks like Maleficent 3 is going forward... possibly

Director Joachim Ronning posted the following on his Insta page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZO8mMuIJC5/

Being a huge POTC fan, I was hoping it would be something related to Pirates 6, but then I saw the following comment by Matt Smith (Producer on Maleficent & Maleficent: Mistress of Evil):

I am very excited if this is the case! I know both films have their flaws, but I have a blast watching them. They are popcorn movies, and I love Angelina's portrayal.

As others have mentioned before, this will probably be a straight to Disney+ release, like Disenchanted and Hocus Pocus 2.

Excited for an announcement!!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not surprised. 500 million was pretty good for a sequel to a movie that made 700 million when you compare Alice going from 1 billion to 300 million for Through the Looking Glass. Besides, I think most studios would rather tie up a franchise as a trilogy if possible rather than ending on a 2. Looking forward to it. Jolie--unlike whatever's going on with Disney's live-action department these days--was a perfect cast for the character she was playing.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Very excited to see where they take this! Maleficent is one of Disney's most curious and unique franchises, and I'm always amazed it has taken off the way that is has. It has come a long way from back in 2010 when I heard about the original film idea being discussed and thought "who is going to go see this aside from me?" Doesn't hurt that I'm famously a fan of when they take these "remakes" in vastly different directions form the originals, which these do in stride.

I assume Jolie and Elle Fanning are committed to returning, or else I doubt this would get the greenlight. They managed to get basically all of the cast from the first to return for the second (with the obvious exception of Phillip, which I considered to be a lateral move), so I'm curious to see who returns for this one.
Disney's Divinity

I forgot about that. Hopefully Thwaites will be able to come back this time. The actor they got to replace him didn't do it for me at all.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is from The DisInsider, so take it with a grain of salt.
There's a pre-draft script out there for Maleficent 3 that features another Disney villain. From what I'm told, that Disney villain is Hades. In the little draft breakdown for Maleficent 3, the character is described as "Disney villain canon, fire" so it's a canon character. It's gotta be either Hades or Chernabog. It makes more sense it'd be Hades. I don't know how they're going to cross these [propetries] over or why. Maybe this is just a different version of Hades because they're still working on a live-action remake of Hercules.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HmvRg3_Ots
We were told Jungle Cruise and upcoming Black Adam director Jaume Collet-Serra is the director in talks for Maleficent 3. That's just what we're hearing.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYx0tegeljI
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I could see it. The first sequel was easy to do because there was already another villain pre-made in the original tale they could use (the ogress mother-in-law) to draw off in the early stages. I suppose it makes sense to have Maleficent come up against a real devil considering how she's often seen as a demon by the humans. If they even go with Hades (the Greek god) as the source, it may be nothing like how Hades will be in the Hercules re-make. That said, I wouldn't put it past them to cross-promote and use one film like this that already has an audience to simultaneously promote a future one they're not as confident in like the Hercules remake.

Perhaps they could make the Hades figure (whether or not they're called Hades) her love interest? Similarly misunderstood based on appearance by the humans? Well, I wouldn't bring this up except for the way all aspects of the company seem to meld together at times, but Hades and Maleficent are a couple in the Descendants films. :P
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Interesting! Very curious how this plays out.
MaQu

Post by MaQu »

Do you think Maleficent 3 may still happen, after they cancelled Aladdin 2?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A new profile piece on Angelina Jolie by The Wall Street Journal has confirmed that a third Maleficent is in the works at Disney.
She is signed on to act in several more, including a third Maleficent.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/film/a ... s-cf62ff38
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
adamw92
Limited Issue

Post by adamw92 »

Do we really need this? The first one was awful and the second one was only alright. Unless they plan on making the character actually evil then I’ll give this a miss.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The first one was interesting. I did not care for the second one at first, because I thought the plot was really weird, and I still do. But it's kinda grown on me. I enjoyed Michelle Pfeiffer, Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning's performances a lot. The other characters were super boring to me. I'd give the third one a chance, especially since Jolie is returning.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I'll believe this movie is happening when the cameras actually start rolling, but the second one also was sort of in-and-out of production for a while before it actually started being made. Unlike most of the other live-action remakes, I think the Maleficent series is actually aging surprisingly well. The first movie is consistently near the top of "Live-Action Remake Countdown" lists on Youtube (usually behind the wonderful Cinderella remake), and I think it's because it takes more liberties with the story and actually writes a new script. Diverting from the original movie is what got it hate when it was released, but has ironically made it more beloved in the near decade since.

Should this movie be made, I think the addition of another Disney villain to the mix will probably happen, as has been rumored. It was originally presumed to be Hades, but I think Chernabog is the more realistic option, as I think Disney will still dip into the remake well for Hercules. There was previously an announcement for a Night on Bald Mountain live-action movie, which seems to have been scrapped. I think Maleficent 3 could be incorporating elements of what that movie was originally going to be.

I'm predicting the Chernabog character will be a human that can either shape shift into the demon we know, or become that demon by the end of the film. Probably played by Benedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddlelston or someone like that. He would be Maleficent's antagonist in the film, not her ally. It seems a fairly natural progression, as her enemies have increased in intensity since the first movie. There could even be a battle of some sort between the Chernabog demon and Maleficent's pheonix/dragon form. Just my prediction.
Disney's Divinity

I feel sure this one will happen, even if its streaming only--just like with Hocus Pocus 3. I mean, the second one may not have made the same amount as the first, but it did better than they had any right to expect considering how Alice and its sequel went from a billion to 100,000 or something. The drop here was much smaller than that.