Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Wish she had succeeded in killing off Jolie's faux Maleficent lol.
OMG I feel you LOL!
DisneyFan97 wrote: I also really wished Queen Ingrith won in the end and killed all those damn dark fairies and became the new ruler !Now that would have been in an enduindig i liked !
Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. The fan demand seems to really be there for that. And people really don't seem to be fond of the dark fairies at all.
D82 wrote: That's true, but I didn't mean it could still be a big success like these other two movies, just that word of mouth could maybe help the film have decent legs at the box office, as lord-of-sith said, and not be a complete failure.
Oh I knew that. It's just that you mentioned that three films this year were trashed by critics but were accepted by audiences and I just wanted to point out that Maleficent's box office numbers don't show audience resonance on par with Aladdin and The Lion King.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote:Gosh, I felt the opposite of you guys ! I really enjoyed it :lol:

Worth seeing in the cinema for sure.

I just can't get of Angelina Jolie's face ... she must have one of the most beautiful and cinematic faces in the history of cinema, surely ? Her beauty was quite breathtaking.
What’s interesting is a lot of those people have criticized the original for years… Why waste money on a sequel to a film you despised when, more often than not (although it's looking as if it's not the case here according to many), the sequel is usually worse? But I appreciate their helping the box office gross, on the off chance the film squeaks out just enough to get a third film. :D

And I agree about Jolie. I'm a fan in general and she is one of the most beautiful women out there, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

The Dark Fairies backstory might be the stupidest thing a Disney live Action remake has pulled out it’s ass yet !

The whole thing feels so dumb ! Also Ed Skrein must be one of the most boring and unengaging somewhat major actors working today in Hollywood ! He has zero screen presence and is super bland in every movie I have seen him in !

I wish Queen Ingrith got her War with the Dark Fairies so She could kill them since they were praisiests trying to infest Ulstead.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:Also Ed Skrein must be one of the most boring and unengaging somewhat major actors working today in Hollywood ! He has zero screen presence and is super bland in every movie I have seen him in !
I couldn't disagree more.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Why did we need the dark fairies at all ?!!

We already hade the Moors which was full of various magical creatures(including a lot of Fairies !)

We did we needed to introduce a whole now race of completely different fairies ? That were not only ugly deigned. But really mean and unpleasant in their nature. Literally the only impact the dark fairies hade on the movie for me was to make me firmly root for Queen Ingrith to succeed in the end !

Also they just igorned Stefan's kingdom , castle and people that was such large part of the fist movie. Basically hand waving the whole setting away with throw away a line in passing ! about giving the castle to quote "the people" whatever that entails ?

Also would it have killed th screenwriters to just call the king played by Robert Lindsay( Who am not familiar with at all by the way) Hubert It's a small thing but it would have been a nice nod to the original and seems really pointless changing his name to John. It doesn't t help that John such an ordinary and unrematkarble name in itself. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone named John in real life mind you !
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New featurette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uq6g7uGZ0U

And anatomy of a scene with the director: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrflQ0P5SAo

JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh I knew that. It's just that you mentioned that three films this year were trashed by critics but were accepted by audiences and I just wanted to point out that Maleficent's box office numbers don't show audience resonance on par with Aladdin and The Lion King.
Oh, OK. Sorry, I misunderstood your words.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyFan97 wrote: We did we needed to introduce a whole now race of completely different fairies ? That were not only ugly deigned. But really mean and unpleasant in their nature. Literally the only impact the dark fairies hade on the movie for me was to make me firmly root for Queen Ingrith to succeed in the end !
Lol, this got me hysterical.
D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh I knew that. It's just that you mentioned that three films this year were trashed by critics but were accepted by audiences and I just wanted to point out that Maleficent's box office numbers don't show audience resonance on par with Aladdin and The Lion King.
Oh, OK. Sorry, I misunderstood your words.
That's all right, you have nothing to apologize for.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

DisneyFan97 wrote:Why did we need the dark fairies at all ?!!

We already hade the Moors which was full of various magical creatures(including a lot of Fairies !)
Yeah, precisely.. that was kind of unneeded, clumsily simplistically developed and not interesting.

(And I would even add to that, WHY did they feel the need to add some magical porcupine and mushroom creatures from the moors in this film?.. Did they think that fairies on their own are not interesting fantasy creatures enough? If you develop them into interesting, compelling characters rather than random cgi effects, maybe people would care.)

Really this movie is lame.
Last edited by Clindor on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Clindor wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote:Why did we need the dark fairies at all ?!!

Yeah, precisely.. that was kind of unneeded, clumsily simplistically developed and not interesting.

(And I would even add to that, WHY did they feel the need to add some magical porcupine and mushroom creatures from the moors in this film?.. Did they think that fairies on their own are interesting fantasy creatures enough?)

Really this movie is lame.
I don't like the dark fairies from purely aesthetic reasons even. They look like a mix of the elves from Peter Jackson's middle earth movies and medieval christian depictions of the devil.

And they don't fit in the world of Sleeping Beauty at all . It's a bit jarring.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan97 wrote: I don't like the dark fairies from purely aesthetic reasons even. They look like a mix of the elves from Peter Jackson's middle earth movies and medieval christian depictions of the devil.

And they don't fit in the world of Sleeping Beauy at all . It's a bit jarring.
TBF Maleficent's world and Sleeping Beauty's are completely different and have nothing in common.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I've been trying to understand what the dark fairies' game plan was, ever since seeing the movie. Their whole battle strategy seemed to consist of them dive-bombing into the soldiers and castle grounds. Good luck with that when the Queen and her army are constantly shooting arrows and are aware of their weakness to iron. If Maleficent hadn't arrived at the last moment, the fairies would definitely have lost.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That is sooooo beautiful!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I saw this one a few days ago. It was super silly, but I enjoyed it. If it weren't for Angelina Jolie and Michelle Pfeiffer, I never would have gone to see it. The opening was super solid, and I thought, "This is going to be better than the first", but then, when she discovered that world of creatures that were like her, I actually laughed out loud. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nymbus

Post by Nymbus »

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil has gone up to $293,512,158 at the box office!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl939755009/
Disney's Divinity

So it hitting $400 million isn't that unlikely? I think it was a good idea to have this one out around Halloween.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

And it managed to hold over as the #1 movie in the world for a second week :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Nymbus

Post by Nymbus »

The film is up to $383,224,711! It will surely pass 400 Million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl939755009/
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

I must say, as someone who overall HATES Maleficent 1, and LOVES the original animated Sleeping Beauty, I think this 2nd one is really good!! It is quite well done with a very moving, greatly written script and a surprisingly strong overall morality based on the most common and relatable psychological issues that ALL of us can relate to, besides being very entertaining, emotionally gripping, and just overall fun and insightful to watch!!

If anyone reading this could also please spread the word about it to as many people as possible, it would also be truly gratefully appreciated ��