Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Post by Sotiris »

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Director Breaks Down the Dinner Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ypBp8xubb8

Anatomy of a Scene: How Angelina Jolie Casts a Spell in ‘Maleficent: Mistress of Evil’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrflQ0P5SAo
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film is underperforming at the box office.

Box Office: Why ‘Maleficent: Mistress of Evil’ Fizzled
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/male ... 203376637/
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Not a given, but with the A cinemascore, it could have decent legs and eek out a modest profit. We’ll see.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

About what I expected, but I hoped for better just to get a third film.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney's Divinity wrote:About what I expected, but I hoped for better just to get a third film.
I'm thinking a third film is still possible, but in maybe 10 years. I feel like demand could grow in that amount of time (and Angelina's increased popularity in the MCU) for another one to be greenlit out of nostalgia. I mean, big franchises have made sequels to installments that didn't do very well. This movie will likely make more than Transformers: The Last Knight, and definitely more than Terminator Genisys and those still got high-profile sequels.

Honestly, I'm just thrilled a sequels was made at all. I remember not even believing they made a movie about Maleficent in the first place. This sequel is the cherry on top.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I thought the film was terrible.
It felt so rushed. A war doesn't happen in one day. I didn't feel there was any real connection between the dark fairies or whatever and Maleficent, like they had 20(?) minutes of screentime, the phoenix thing was explained in like 5 minutes. Thanks for dying guy whose name I don't remember and never had the time to develop some kind of connection so I'd feel sad about you dying.
The church scene and the dark fairies just evaporating was careless and felt like something OUAT would do, like having Guinevere drugged and just forgetting all about it.
I wonder how that fairy felt going to a wedding after watching her family or whatever being evaporated. Yeah let's have a wedding on the same day a battle with many casualties occurs la la la everything's fine now.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Nymbus wrote:Thanks a ton!
No problem. :)
lord-of-sith wrote:From what I could tell, most of the soundtrack was re-used themes from the first film (similar to how Chamber of Secrets was mainly re-used tracks from Sorcerer's Stone) so that's probably why the soundtrack wasn't advertised much.
Maybe that's the reason then.

Here are links to download or stream the soundtrack: https://disneymusic.co/Maleficent2
lord-of-sith wrote:Not a given, but with the A cinemascore, it could have decent legs and eek out a modest profit. We’ll see.
Yes, I think that's possible. It seems the public is liking it more than the critics. Apart from the A cinemascore, it also has a 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. It's the third time this year that a Disney film with a rotten score has a high audience one:

Aladdin: 57% critics score, 94% audience score, A cinemascore
The Lion King: 53% critics score, 88% audience score, A cinemascore.
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil: 41% critics score, 95% audience score, A cinemascore.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote: The church scene and the dark fairies just evaporating was careless and felt like something OUAT would do, like having Guinevere drugged and just forgetting all about it.
Lol, this made me laugh. It always bothered me that they completely forgot about that in OUAT and left her in that state.
D82 wrote: Yes, I think that's possible. It seems the public is liking it more than the critics. Apart from the A cinemascore, it also has a 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. It's the third time this year that a Disney film with a rotten score has a high audience one:

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil: 41% critics score, 95% audience score, A cinemascore.
The audience scores for those films translated into all-time blockbusters at the box office. That has not been the case so far for Maleficent 2.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Seeing it tonight, and I cannot WAIT !

People in my office have gone to see it and come back with 'Pleasantly surprised, thought it was really good !' vibes. So very hopeful !
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote: It seems the public is liking it more than the critics. Apart from the A cinemascore, it also has a 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. It's the third time this year that a Disney film with a rotten score has a high audience one:

The critics have an ax to grind. They're going to tank the re-makes/spin-offs regardless, sight unseen. :lol: I can't say for the other two, but Aladdin certainly didn't deserve anything lower than 70%. All they do is ensure nobody will listen to them in future.

I'm surprised the Maleficent sequel is doing that well with audiences. The first one, honestly, isn't very good... I can only enjoy parts of it. I'll be happy if this one's better; it's already got a headstart for not having to show a young Maleficent like the first one's horrible intro.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Maleficent Almost Met Her Mom In the Sequel
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... sive.html/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm surprised the Maleficent sequel is doing that well with audiences.
Me too. The first one has an audience score of just 70%, quite lower than the sequel.
JeanGreyForever wrote:The audience scores for those films translated into all-time blockbusters at the box office. That has not been the case so far for Maleficent 2.
That's true, but I didn't mean it could still be a big success like these other two movies, just that word of mouth could maybe help the film have decent legs at the box office, as lord-of-sith said, and not be a complete failure.
Last edited by D82 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I finally saw this! And...I really, really enjoyed it! Let me say...I thought it was really good...but also, as someone said on another forum, dumb. LOL. It just had a lot of dumb stuff happen. But it's not like even original fairy tales couldn't be called dumb at some parts. But it was still a great time at the movies, which is the point.

WillytheDino, you are so right that any of the parts with Maleficent and the dark fae just suck. And the Phoenix thing with Maleficent I thought was dumb and too much, like you thought. I got emotional when Maleficent died, too. Didn't cry, but came close. And Flittle sacrificing herself was big.

Yes, lord-of-sith, I hate Gerta (said that was her name in the break-down of the dinner scene video) or whatever the red-head's name was, and was so glad she got thrown off the balconey. Did not expect Flittle to sacrifice herself, that was truly a great character moment, but I did expect the other fairies to help get rid of Gerta, so happy they did. I, too, was surprised by Maleficent being the Phoenix, and I also thought it was like this movie's version of her dragon form.

Farerb, you are so funny, lol, good points. I don't even remember Guinevere getting drugged on OUAT...hm.

I was really mad that Flittle didn't get to come back to life at the end. She's just a sentient flower? WTF? Way to screw her. Either have her be dead or be a fairy again. I liked that Aurora did more this time. Phillip, too. Aurora actually was more of a character this time around.

This movie was beautiful when it wasn't with the dark fae and every human's costumes were great along with the three pixie fairies, but I hate a lot of the Moor designs and especially the dark fae. I will always hate the Maleficent's horns are actually her horns and the dark fae was that idea times a thousand. And I hate Maleficent's wings not looking to me like faerie wings. This film was well directed and shot. I loved all those low-angle shots of Queen Ingrith, who was a great villain. All in all, I liked this movie more than the first.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Just saw the movie earlier this evening.

I lOVED Queen Ingrith She was the best part of the movie. I actually started clapping and cheering when ever She gave speak about her plans motivations in the third Act. I went as far screaming out loud in the Theater of my support of Ingrith.

Was really hoppning Queen Ingrith would win in the end !

Sadly that didn't happen. :cry:
Michelle Pfeiffer was by far the BEST part of the movie !

Also every time the red dust killed s DARK fairy i started laughing out loud :lol:

Was Gerda suposed to be Non-binary or genderless ?

Got that vibe from her.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I HATED all the Dark Fairies stuff :angry: that that’s why i wanted the queen to wipe them all out :twisted: I just hate the whole concept so much ! I would really have preferred Maleficent if was just a regular Fairy deformed from Birth( Like Elphaba !) or her appearance being a result of evil twisting her.

I wish they kept her aunt cursing her to have horns instead as in the original script much less convoluted !

It really says something when Queen Ingrith the intended VIlLiAN !! of the movie was the most likeable and reasonable person in the story !
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:I thought the film was terrible.
It felt so rushed. A war doesn't happen in one day. I didn't feel there was any real connection between the dark fairies or whatever and Maleficent, like they had 20(?) minutes of screentime, the phoenix thing was explained in like 5 minutes. Thanks for dying guy whose name I don't remember and never had the time to develop some kind of connection so I'd feel sad about you dying.
The church scene and the dark fairies just evaporating was careless and felt like something OUAT would do, like having Guinevere drugged and just forgetting all about it.
I wonder how that fairy felt going to a wedding after watching her family or whatever being evaporated. Yeah let's have a wedding on the same day a battle with many casualties occurs la la la everything's fine now.
The third act was indeed particularly terrible/unbearable ^^ Much too long. Full of clichés we’ve seen a million times before and still it seems necessary to hammer them into your head?.. And really incoherent, mixing too many things, events that doesn’t connect together.

In general, this movie is like a BIG, BIG mess...

I can’t say I hate everything inside it. That’s what I hate the whole thing even more! There are some dark elements that are really welcome especially knowing you wouldn’t expect that for a Disney live-action film! I like the fact they are going for a GOT-like movie with more fantasy in it to keep a Disney style. Michelle Pfeiffer is definitively a GREAT villain. And actually not just a great villain, but a great DISNEY villain!.. she would be the equivalent of 1958’s Maleficent from the original animated ‘Sleeping Beauty’! So congrats for getting that right :up: it always nice to have a little bit of fun when you’re watching a Maleficent-related movie.

To me, the rest is mostly full of shit, unnecessary, or just underdeveloped. I could right lots of paragraphs explaining why it is not interesting, but I don’t think this movie deserves that much attention from me. It’s still more original that those horrible ‘Aladdin’ or ‘Lion King’ shot-for-shot remakes, so in theory it has more value to it, but that’s definitively not saying much... Don’t feel the connection to the ‘Sleeping Beauty’ fairy tale. I don’t think it improves it. It’s just all over the place.

At the end, for any 1958’s ‘Sleeping Beauty’ fans, I’d say this movie is definitively a SKIP.
Last edited by Clindor on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Clindor wrote:
farerb wrote:I thought the film was terrible.
The third act was indeed particularly terrible ^^ Much too long. Full of clichés we’ve seen a million times before and still it seems necessary to hammer them into your head?.. And really incoherent, mixing too many things, events that doesn’t connect together.

I can’t say I hate everything inside it. That’s what I hate the whole thing even more! There are some dark elements that are really welcome especially knowing you wouldn’t expect that for a Disney live-action film! I like the fact they are going for a GOT-like movie with more fantasy in it to keep a Disney style. Michelle Pfeiffer is definitively a GREAT villain. And actually not just a great villain, but a great DISNEY villain.. she would the equivalent of Maleficent in 1958’s animated ‘Sleeping Beauty’! So congrats for getting that right :up: it always nice to have a little bit of fun when you’re watching a Maleficent-related movie.

To me, the rest is mostly full of shit, unnecessary, or just underdeveloped. I could right lots of paragraphs explaining why it is not interesting, but I don’t think this movie deserves that much attention from me. It’s still more original that those horrible ‘Aladdin’ or ‘Lion King’ shot-for-shot remakes, so in theory it has more value to it, but that’s definitively not saying much... Don’t feel the connection to the ‘Sleeping Beauty’ fairy tale. I don’t think it improves it. It’s just all over the place.
At the end, for any 1958’s ‘Sleeping Beauty’ fans, I’d say this movie is definitively a SKIP.
This is definitely why I'm skipping it because I don't want to give this mess my money at all. The only interest of mine that has been piqued is all the praise for Pfeiffer's character. I wish they offered a cut of the film featuring just her scenes lol but I'm not a fan of her ending so I don't think I would want to bother with even that. Wish she had succeeded in killing off Jolie's faux Maleficent lol.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Wish she had succeeded in killing off Jolie's faux Maleficent lol.
OMG I feel you LOL!
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Clindor wrote: The third act was indeed particularly terrible ^^ Much too long. Full of clichés we’ve seen a million times before and still it seems necessary to hammer them into your head?.. And really incoherent, mixing too many things, events that doesn’t connect together.

I can’t say I hate everything inside it. That’s what I hate the whole thing even more! There are some dark elements that are really welcome especially knowing you wouldn’t expect that for a Disney live-action film! I like the fact they are going for a GOT-like movie with more fantasy in it to keep a Disney style. Michelle Pfeiffer is definitively a GREAT villain. And actually not just a great villain, but a great DISNEY villain.. she would the equivalent of Maleficent in 1958’s animated ‘Sleeping Beauty’! So congrats for getting that right :up: it always nice to have a little bit of fun when you’re watching a Maleficent-related movie.

This is definitely why I'm skipping it because I don't want to give this mess my money at all. The only interest of mine that has been piqued is all the praise for Pfeiffer's character. I wish they offered a cut of the film featuring just her scenes lol but I'm not a fan of her ending so I don't think I would want to bother with even that. Wish she had succeeded in killing off Jolie's faux Maleficent lol.
I also really wished Queen Ingrith won in the end and killed all those damn dark fairies and became the new ruler !Now that would have been in an enduindig i liked !
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Gosh, I felt the opposite of you guys ! I really enjoyed it :lol:

Worth seeing in the cinema for sure.

I just can't get of Angelina Jolie's face ... she must have one of the most beautiful and cinematic faces in the history of cinema, surely ? Her beauty was quite breathtaking.

The costumes were stunning, especially the wedding dress & Maleficent's final outfit ... felt like something out of an old Hollywood movie or something.

The music was beautiful, and I loved the fact that it felt like quite a few physical sets were used as well ? And randomly, I also loved the humour, that was quite unexpected.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, espcially the fact that it wasn't a shot-for-shot redo, and was quite dark as well !