Pinocchio (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Doesn't seem like this film will be relegated to streaming especially if Tom Hanks is in the lead role. There really haven't been many theatrical Pinocchios anyway so I hope Disney keeps this film as a cinema release.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Doesn't seem like this film will be relegated to streaming especially if Tom Hanks is in the lead role. There really haven't been many theatrical Pinocchios anyway so I hope Disney keeps this film as a cinema release.
If Hanks does sign on, and especially with Del Toro’s animated Pinocchio going straight to streaming, i have no doubt this goes to theaters and also gets a fairly lofty budget.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

So glad we finally have an update and a big thumbs up for Hanks as Gepetto! Love it!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, this needs a big budget for an animated puppet as the main character and the Monstro sequences.

I think Tom Hanks as Geppetto would be brilliant and perfect!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Director Paul King Will No Longer Helm Disney’s Live-Action ‘Pinocchio’
https://thedisinsider.com/2019/01/13/di ... pinocchio/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^He's the second director to leave the project. Sam Mendes also dropped out of the film over a year ago.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like Disney is going back to the drawing board with their live-action adaptation of their animated classic Pinocchio. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child playwright Jack Thorne has been brought on to rewrite the script for the film. Chris Weitz (Rogue One, Cinderella) wrote the first draft.

The studio is aiming to begin production in June in both the UK and Italy and is expected to shoot through September. The film will have a budget of over $150 million. Disney’s live-action remakes of Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book had similar budgets, so expect the House of Mouse to put Pinocchio on a grand scale visually.

Disney is currently searching for a new director. Tom Hanks was in talks to star in the project as the fatherly figure Geppetto, but it appears he may have left the project as well.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2019/03/01/ex ... ck-thorne/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, no. I hope Hanks is still involved. He would've been the perfect Geppetto.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh lord, anyone associated with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child should stick far away from this film. Looks like another wasted remake lol.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh lord, anyone associated with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child should stick far away from this film.
Is the play considered to be poorly-written by fans? It was critically acclaimed and went on to win 6 Tony Awards and 9 Olivier Awards.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh lord, anyone associated with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child should stick far away from this film.
Is the play considered to be poorly-written by fans? It was critically acclaimed and went on to win 6 Tony Awards and 9 Olivier Awards.
The play was a huge success but the actual script is considered trash by most of the fandom. People are saying JK Rowling is the new George Lucas (if you're familiar with the Star Wars prequels) for what she did to Harry Potter with this script which she approved of. The kindest remarks it gets is that it is glorified fanfiction. However, everyone agrees that the actual play is worth watching at least once for the acting and special effects.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually really liked The Cursed Child. Yep, just from reading it. I am aware I'm the only one in the world to like it.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

You must be a rare breed because I haven't met anyone before who actually liked the story. One thing I liked was the Albus and Scorpius relationship and how Albus became a Slytherin (even if it felt like so many fanfics I've read before), but even that was problematic. Clearly, the most chemistry was between these two yet they still have Scorpius end up with Rose.

Harry as a father was awful as well and I couldn't stand his actions.

Hermione and Ron's marriage just reminded me of why they were never a good pairing anyway. Since Rowling regretted pairing Hermione with Ron in the first place, she should have used this as the opportunity to have her dump Ron and end up with Harry (Ginny needs to be removed from the picture as well since she was always a bland character who was rarely ever present).
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't like the cursed child as well, but to be honest I'm not that fond of Harry Potter like I used to when I was younger.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Is the play considered to be poorly-written by fans? It was critically acclaimed and went on to win 6 Tony Awards and 9 Olivier Awards.
Yes, but it's not the worst thing ever. I don't consider it canon considering Rowling didn't write it, even if she was nice enough to give it her blessing.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Disney Duster wrote:i actually really liked The Cursed Child. Yep, just from reading it. I am aware I'm the only one in the world to like it.
Well, I'm able to confirm that you're not alone, as I really liked reading it as well.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Since Rowling regretted pairing Hermione with Ron in the first place
Hmmm she never said that. Her actual quote ends up with "oh they'll probably be fine". Read up past the headlines.
JeanGreyForever wrote:since she was always a bland character who was rarely ever present).
hmmm maybe you should re-read the later books
Disney's Divinity wrote:Yes, but it's not the worst thing ever. I don't consider it canon considering Rowling didn't write it, even if she was nice enough to give it her blessing.
Lol. J.K. Rowling created the story and developed the play from start to finish. She just chose not to write it because she doesn't consider herself to be a playwriter (which to be fair, she isn't). She sees the play regularly when she can and did a lot more than "to give it her blessing"
Disney's Divinity

rodrigo_ca wrote: Lol. J.K. Rowling created the story and developed the play from start to finish. She just chose not to write it because she doesn't consider herself to be a playwriter (which to be fair, she isn't). She sees the play regularly when she can and did a lot more than "to give it her blessing"
Okay? I don't even dislike it like the others here seem to? The one thing I hate about it is the ending. The story queerbaits Albus and Scorpius, then shoves a girl, any girl, at one of them at the end. A shame after Rowling's already been criticized for only blatantly identifying Dumbledore as gay post-story; I still see it within the story, but it would've been nice if she had confirmed it on the page without a shadow of a doubt. Would've been easy to do consider we get so many pages about Dumbledore's time with Grindelwald in DH.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

rodrigo_ca wrote: Hmmm she never said that. Her actual quote ends up with "oh they'll probably be fine". Read up past the headlines.
You need to re-read the entire article besides one quote which she ends on. I'll quote for you.
I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That's how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron. I know, I'm sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not."
BTW even the actors for Ron and Hermione felt that they would never make it work. Obviously, they aren't the author, but they are probably the people who know the characters most after Rowling. Below is Watson's remarks to what Rowling said above.
Watson didn’t seem shocked by these comments and agreed with her. “I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.”
And here's what Rupert Grint had to say about the relationship a few years later.
I would expect Ron has probably divorced Hermione already. I don't think that relationship would have done very well. Yeah. Exactly. He's living on his own, in a little one-bedroom apartment. He hasn't got a job," and elaborated that he thinks they're briefly separated, if not divorced.
This is what Rowling then said about Harry and Hermione being a better fit. Keep in mind that Steve Kloves, screenwriter for most of the HP films is a huge self-professed Harmione shipper. Clearly Rowling never had an issue with all the inserted scenes where Hermione's relationship with Harry is clearly spotlighted (even to the point that a lot of Ron's moments with Harry in the books are instead given to Hermione in the movies). Let's not forget, when Harry is going to turn himself into Voldemort in Deathly Hallows Part 2 and accept his death, and Hermione says "I'll go with you," a quote not in the book, but Rowling obviously felt it worked for the films.
In some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit and I'll tell you something very strange. When I wrote Hallows, I felt this quite strongly when I had Hermione and Harry together in the tent! I hadn't told [Steve] Kloves that and when he wrote the script he felt exactly the same thing at exactly the same point. And actually I liked that scene in the film, because it was articulating something I hadn't said but I had felt. I really liked it and I thought that it was right. I think you do feel the ghost of what could have been in that scene.
Finally, she ends on what you originally quoted about Ron and Hermione, which was probably said to defuse the situation (considering the controversy it started) as well as to accept the fact that there is nothing she can do now about splitting them up so she might as well see the brighter side of the picture and hope that they'd end up working out together after all.
Oh, maybe she and Ron will be alright with a bit of counseling, you know. I wonder what happens at wizard marriage counseling? They'll probably be fine. He needs to work on his self-esteem issues and she needs to work on being a little less critical.
rodrigo_ca wrote: hmmm maybe you should re-read the later books
I don't need to re-read the books since I've read them all many times. Literally everyone in the fandom says that book Ginny (and movie Ginny) is wholly underdeveloped. She's a background character even until Order of the Phoenix. It isn't until Half-Blood Prince, that suddenly she's mentioned a lot more, but always to be described by other characters on how beautiful she is, how many guys she dates, what a great Quidditch player she is, etc. The reader never gets to see any of these things themselves and in the span of one book, Ginny is suddenly this altogether perfect choice as a love interest for Harry. Then she disappears again for the final book and we're told at the end that she and the protagonist of the series end up together, despite barely ever sharing any scenes.

People complain about movie Ginny, but I don't see why since book Ginny wasn't a very substantial character in the first place. At least in the movies, they hint towards Ginny's feelings for Harry since Order of the Phoenix (and I think even Goblet of Fire maybe) so there is at least a slow burn towards their romance.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I thought I was weird for shipping Albus and Scorpius! But I was surprised when they didn't end up together! Scorpius was my favorite part of the book other than Albus's relationship with his father getting better by the end in a nice, loving way. And I thought I was the only one who thought Harry should have ended up with Hermione! Did Rowling say she thought Harry should be with Hermione, or just not Ron? I also thought it didn't fit that Harry got with a character who didn't seen like...much of a character, but my cousin thought they would be together ever since he saved her in Chamber of Secrets. I also shipped Harry and Luna for a while.

Rodrigo_ca, thank you for revaling I am not alone and also helping me with the info that Rowling created this story!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I thought I was weird for shipping Albus and Scorpius! But I was surprised when they didn't end up together! Scorpius was my favorite part of the book other than Albus's relationship with his father getting better by the end in a nice, loving way. And I thought I was the only one who thought Harry should have ended up with Hermione! Did Rowling say she thought Harry should be with Hermione, or just not Ron? I also thought it didn't fit that Harry got with a character who didn't seen like...much of a character, but my cousin thought they would be together ever since he saved her in Chamber of Secrets. I also shipped Harry and Luna for a while.
Albus and Scorpius is a very popular pair and probably the most loved part about Cursed Child. I was hoping they'd end up together because that would have redeemed the entire play but alas that hope was in vain. Scorpius is a hugely popular character actually, even if you don't factor in his relationship with Albus.

Harry/Hermione is a very popular pairing and like I said above, even the screenwriter of the HP films ships them together. It helps that Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson had such chemistry in the films and most people always assumed they'd end up together before Half-Blood Prince vetoed that. Luna and Harry was also a popular pairing and after Order of the Phoenix, a lot of people assumed he'd end up with her. Ginny just came out of nowhere in Half-Blood Prince since Harry had barely had much interaction with her before (and they still barely have any interaction even in the actual book)!

Rowling said she didn't think Hermione and Ron would end up working well together. She didn't outright mention Harry/Hermione but she did say that looking back on it, she thinks Harry and Hermione would be a more natural fit together and talks about how that's especially evident from the movies.
ImageImage